Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page Is something up with Bigelow?
Notices

(#1) Old
no bear

Is something up with Bigelow? - 09-27-2011, 08:31 AM

I watched 90% of last Saturday's game, but I don't recall seeing Bigelow get ANY carries from scrimmage. Or any screen passes.

I believe he was used exclusively as the kick returner. And he seemed remarkably tentative on kick returns. Showed no speed, and was easily tackled for the most part.

Did something happen with him that was not generally publicized? I hope he is still physically ok, and that worries about further injury are not holding him back. (Easy for me to say, harder for him to do, I realize.)

Assuming Bigelow's ready to go, I think JT must USE him.
  (#2) Old
no bear

09-27-2011, 08:36 AM

he had zero blocking. he'll be fine as long as JT uses him.
  (#3) Old
Real Bear

09-27-2011, 08:44 AM

hes saving him as our secret weapon against oregon
  (#4) Old
Loyal Bear

09-27-2011, 08:45 AM

He had a nice spin out of one of a tackle on one of his KRs. I think he looked fine - he's not going to score on every kick. With this much time between UW and Oregon, I expect Tedford and Gould to ramp up the number of packages that Bigelow can run out of and we'll see him on the field next Thursday.

Tedford loves Bigelow's big-play potential and wants to let him loose so it's only a matter of time. I didn't think we'd see much of him against UW (commented that people needed to pump the brakes on the Bigelow hype) but I do think that with the bye week we will begin to see Bigelow getting meaningful snaps.
  (#5) Old
Active Bear

09-27-2011, 08:45 AM

I want to see Bigelow as bad as anyone. But that said, I thought he looked overwhelmed in Seattle. Plus the Bears were running the ball better then they had in any other game with real competition.
I hope he's a part of the rotation soon, though. He's just way faster and more explosive then any other RB we have.
  (#6) Old
Real Bear

good question - 09-27-2011, 08:47 AM

as odd as it seems to still put Bigs back there for kick returns he (1) did not seem himself the first few steps off the catch and the held him back from leaving the endzone on albeit 5 yards deep--I'd take a gamble on him running out at 5 yards deep any day. Then follow that with CDJ and Isi being the only backs thrown to out of the backfield. If he isnt well enough he shouldnt be in, if he is, then let him play as he would. Wildcard is worth nothing if you don't ever play it in your hand. who knows...
  (#7) Old
New Bear

He will do fine... - 09-27-2011, 08:57 AM

On the punt returns he got hit hard a couple of times, and he bounce back and seemed very strong. I was surprised that he never used his lateral movement to escape the defenders, it seemed as if he was told to run straight in hopes that the offense would open some holes for him...but unfortunately, our team was unable to do so. I like this team, and I am sure they will do well...but it is up to Tedford to start reconsidering that the small things sometimes are very important.
  (#8) Old
Loyal Bear

09-27-2011, 09:04 AM

Yes, on one of the kick returns he was absolutely drilled. He didn't seem all that confident doing returns against a Pac 12 team. Returning kicks is not for everyone.
  (#9) Old
no bear

09-27-2011, 09:09 AM

On why true freshman Brendan Bigelow didnít play on offense:

ďThis was a day that we needed some things that he isnít able to do yet.Ē

dude can't catch a screen?
  (#10) Old
Real Bear

09-27-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkoski View Post

or run the ball? or a swing pass? ok fine... don't have him in there when u plan on having the RB block... but if he can't do any of these things then it sounds like a waste of a scholy to me
  (#11) Old
Loyal Bear

09-27-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:

Or be used as a play action decoy? Or toss him a sweep? Fine, you don't want him in pass protection... we get it, but RB is the one position on the field where true freshmen can and do make huge impacts. The running part of playing running back is similar to high school (yes, I know he was hurt a lot). Either he is ready or he isn't. No in between.
  (#12) Old
Loyal Bear

09-27-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:

Apparently he's had major fumbling issues in practice and Gould is not a big fan of underclassmen who fumble. For whatever reason, Gould sure seems to be infatuated with Isi.
  (#13) Old
no bear

09-27-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBear21 View Post
or run the ball? or a swing pass? ok fine... don't have him in there when u plan on having the RB block... but if he can't do any of these things then it sounds like a waste of a scholy to me
Jesus Christ... really? It's his 4th collegiate game--the 2nd one where he's healthy--and he's a waste of a scholly?

You know, in Reggie Bush's 4th career game... against US no less... he had 4 carries for 7 yards. He had runs where he went backwards, he was pisspoor in pass blocking, and he had no overall effect.

In LenDale White's 4th career game (again, against Cal), he had 2 carries for 6 yards.

Yup, both were definitely wasted schollies.

Effing brilliant.
  (#14) Old
no bear

09-27-2011, 09:22 AM

he doesn't trust freshman in close games.
  (#15) Old
no bear

09-27-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmoephobic View Post
Apparently he's had major fumbling issues in practice and Gould is not a big fan of underclassmen who fumble. For whatever reason, Gould sure seems to be infatuated with Isi.
I mean, besides the fact that Isi was our best overall runner on Saturday. 98 yards on 17 carries for nearly 6 ypc. He was effective running outside of the tackle box and running to the weakside.

Do you guys cheer for the guy to not do well, for your own ego's sake?