Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page Serious Recruiting Problem
Notices
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
goldfield9 goldfield9 is offline
New Bear
 
Posts: 82
Join Date: Apr 2010
Serious Recruiting Problem - 11-01-2011, 04:27 PM

I don't want to sound so pessimistic but at this point I see Wallace choosing CU. In fact we are being out recruited by the entire PAC-12 (even Wazzou and the Beavers) for the better part of a year now. Even players that we thought we had a great shot at landing are going elsewhere (Verhoeven). What gives? There has got to be some reason for this other then dirty tactics, Kids thinking they will go to Arizona win a Nat. Championship and then go pro in 2-3 years and the more difficult coarseload of CAL academics. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote
  (#2) Old
Optimistic Bear Optimistic Bear is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 853
Join Date: Mar 2010
11-01-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfield9 View Post
I don't want to sound so pessimistic but at this point I see Wallace choosing CU. In fact we are being out recruited by the entire PAC-12 (even Wazzou and the Beavers) for the better part of a year now. Even players that we thought we had a great shot at landing are going elsewhere (Verhoeven). What gives? There has got to be some reason for this other then dirty tactics, Kids thinking they will go to Arizona win a Nat. Championship and then go pro in 2-3 years and the more difficult coarseload of CAL academics. Any ideas?
lol. welcome. i was wondering if anyone was going to mention this, glad someone finally did. maybe our recruiting is no good because monty is too busy winning Pac-10 soon to be Pac-12 championships
Reply With Quote
  (#3) Old
wifeisafurd wifeisafurd is online now
Golden Bear
 
Posts: 6,708
Join Date: Jul 2008
Likely to land some nice bigs - 11-01-2011, 05:44 PM

Compared to UofA, the rest of the conference and Cal are whistling Dixie.
Reply With Quote
  (#4) Old
brj1 brj1 is offline
Real Bear
 
brj1's Avatar
 
Posts: 963
Join Date: Jul 2008
this coarseload you speak of - 11-01-2011, 05:45 PM

that's the crux of the problem. Word up

Reply With Quote
  (#5) Old
goldfield9 goldfield9 is offline
New Bear
 
Posts: 82
Join Date: Apr 2010
11-01-2011, 05:58 PM

It would just be nice to see CAL put a fence around its backyard, and pull some homegrown bay talent like we used to.
Reply With Quote
  (#6) Old
bar20 bar20 is offline
Real Bear
 
bar20's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,433
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yachats, OR
11-01-2011, 06:18 PM

All the great local players play AAU basketball and they know if they go to CAL they're expected to play three or four years. However if they go to Arizona or UCLA they will play as freshmen and it's assumend they will only stay there one or two years. The elite players don't want an education, they want an NBA paycheck and the sooner the better!
Reply With Quote
  (#7) Old
goldfield9 goldfield9 is offline
New Bear
 
Posts: 82
Join Date: Apr 2010
11-01-2011, 06:40 PM

Between this year and last year UofA has landed 4 top tier Power Forwards.
I would think that definitely S. Johnson and possibly A. Chol minutes will be drastically reduced with Ashley and Jerrett coming on board. Many of these kids are being sold a false dream. Why can't they see this. Im sure UofA will land another top notch PF for 2013 as well. There will be no 2-3 years and to the NBA with a hand full of $$$ for a couple of these guys.
Reply With Quote
  (#8) Old
annarborbear annarborbear is online now
Real Bear
 
Posts: 1,135
Join Date: Jul 2008
11-01-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar20 View Post
All the great local players play AAU basketball and they know if they go to CAL they're expected to play three or four years. However if they go to Arizona or UCLA they will play as freshmen and it's assumend they will only stay there one or two years. The elite players don't want an education, they want an NBA paycheck and the sooner the better!
Sounds correct to me. But I still think we can win the league with less heralded kids who can be developed as they stay and try to graduate, so long as Monty is the coach. However, when Monty retires at some point, it will be hard to find another coach who can do it that way.
Reply With Quote
  (#9) Old
SFBearz SFBearz is online now
Real Bear
 
Posts: 2,185
Join Date: Oct 2008
11-01-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annarborbear View Post
Sounds correct to me. But I still think we can win the league with less heralded kids who can be developed as they stay and try to graduate, so long as Monty is the coach. However, when Monty retires at some point, it will be hard to find another coach who can do it that way.
Not with the classes Arizona and UCLA are bringing in. Cal has to start getting better talent asap.
Reply With Quote
  (#10) Old
operbear operbear is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 822
Join Date: Jul 2008
11-01-2011, 09:02 PM

Monty prefers four year players who want to be coached up. You guys prayed for Franklin and look what you got. I like Monty's approach. Just look at the improvement Smith has shown, and others as well. In college, it is a team sport!
Reply With Quote
  (#11) Old
cyrusthebear cyrusthebear is offline
Real Bear
 
cyrusthebear's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,419
Join Date: Nov 2008
11-01-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operbear View Post
Monty prefers four year players who want to be coached up. You guys prayed for Franklin and look what you got. I like Monty's approach. Just look at the improvement Smith has shown, and others as well. In college, it is a team sport!

This man knows what he's sayin.

Go bears!
Reply With Quote
  (#12) Old
SFBearz SFBearz is online now
Real Bear
 
Posts: 2,185
Join Date: Oct 2008
11-01-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusthebear View Post
This man knows what he's sayin.

Go bears!
Please, if Smith is the example of the kind of four year players Cal needs, you are out of touch. 4 yr guys like Randle, Christopher, and Jorge, yes.
Reply With Quote
  (#13) Old
ayetee11 ayetee11 is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 1,499
Join Date: Jul 2008
11-01-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBearz View Post
Not with the classes Arizona and UCLA are bringing in. Cal has to start getting better talent asap.
UCLA barely beat Fullerton in a scrimmage. It was a closed scrimmage and Fullerton played without DJ and Amoke. UCLA's guard play is terrible and will cost them some games. Fullerton likes to run, but the front court of UCLA wore them down.
Reply With Quote
  (#14) Old
SFBearz SFBearz is online now
Real Bear
 
Posts: 2,185
Join Date: Oct 2008
11-01-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayetee11 View Post
UCLA barely beat Fullerton in a scrimmage. It was a closed scrimmage and Fullerton played without DJ and Amoke. UCLA's guard play is terrible and will cost them some games. Fullerton likes to run, but the front court of UCLA wore them down.
I'm referring to UCLAs 2012 class which is still in high school. They are bringing in two of the top 5 players in the country.
Reply With Quote
  (#15) Old
goldfield9 goldfield9 is offline
New Bear
 
Posts: 82
Join Date: Apr 2010
11-01-2011, 09:41 PM

Our crosstown Rival Furd has brought in better 4 year talent then we have this year and last year. Johnny Dawkins Really! Wait they have as high of academics as we do. Dawkins is inferior in coaching to Monty, and the Farm is bringing in solid 4 year talent. This is what im questioning. You keep talking about 4 year guys, well Stanfords landing them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Ad Management by RedTyger