Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page OT: Pizza Hacker in SF
Notices

(#1) Old
Golden Bear

OT: Pizza Hacker in SF - 04-20-2014, 01:45 AM

It's been a while since we've had a "Best Pizza in the Bay" type of thread. Has anyone been to Pizza Hacker? It's in Bernal Heights. Holy moly, it is tasty. We went last weekend for an early dinner before a birthday party, and I am pretty sure it's the best pizza I've ever hard. I liked it much better than all the other pizza places in SF, some of which are very good and some of which are very overrated (Gialina's, Gioa, Delfina, Little Star, Patxi's).

We got the Yo Vinny (marinated onions, sweet peppers, hot italian sausage, mozzarella, tomato sauce) and a special pizza, the name and toppings of which I cannot recall.

The prices are not bad - $15 per pizza. We had 2 for 3 people and it was enough, but not overfilling.

The owner used to do pop-ups, and opened up his own shop fairly recently. It is worth a trip.

http://thepizzahacker.com/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pizzahacker-san-francisco-4
  (#2) Old
Loyal Bear

04-20-2014, 05:55 AM

Up with the newborn? Haven't been to pizza hacker but heard good things about his popup. Have also wanted to try una pizza napoletano. I like zero zero, gialinas and pizza deluxe. Flour+water is great too but only when you can avoid waiting in line.
  (#3) Old
Loyal Bear

04-20-2014, 08:12 AM

The prosciutto pizza at Delfina is probably my favorite in SF, so if this is better I'd love to try it.
  (#4) Old
Loyal Bear

04-20-2014, 08:15 AM

Thank GMP. My wife and I are always on the lookout for good pizza in SF. We have a slice of Tony's (the Slice House) a couple times a week before our walks around the city. (BTW, ironically the Slice House has the best Italian beef sandwiches) Tony's Restaurant (Tony's Pizza Napoletana or something) is very good. We've heard Tony's new place Capos is good but haven't eaten there. Gaspari's is very good. It is on 20th (or so) and Geary in the Richmond district. It's been years since I've had anything but the margherita pizza at Gaspari's but if you like thin pizza it is really good.
  (#5) Old
Golden Bear

04-20-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82gradDLSdad View Post
Thank GMP. My wife and I are always on the lookout for good pizza in SF. We have a slice of Tony's (the Slice House) a couple times a week before our walks around the city. (BTW, ironically the Slice House has the best Italian beef sandwiches) Tony's Restaurant (Tony's Pizza Napoletana or something) is very good. We've heard Tony's new place Capos is good but haven't eaten there. Gaspari's is very good. It is on 20th (or so) and Geary in the Richmond district. It's been years since I've had anything but the margherita pizza at Gaspari's but if you like thin pizza it is really good.
I forgot to mention Tony's Napoletana, which I love. I'd need a back to back comparison of the two. Tony's might have better crust (I love the chewiness), but the flavors at Pizza Hacker were great. Best pizza sauce I've ever had.
  (#6) Old
Golden Bear

04-20-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit2Sucks View Post
Up with the newborn? Haven't been to pizza hacker but heard good things about his popup. Have also wanted to try una pizza napoletano. I like zero zero, gialinas and pizza deluxe. Flour+water is great too but only when you can avoid waiting in line.
Thanks for the reminder about Una, I've been meaning to try that.

No newborn yet! Two more months. I am a bachelor this weekend, though, and was up late watching a replay of the Hopkins fight.
  (#7) Old
Loyal Bear

04-20-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmastapoop View Post
Thanks for the reminder about Una, I've been meaning to try that.

No newborn yet! Two more months. I am a bachelor this weekend, though, and was up late watching a replay of the Hopkins fight.
Nice, enjoy the next two months and best of wishes.
  (#8) Old
Real Bear

04-20-2014, 05:39 PM

Pizza Hacker was part of the team that opened Forge at Jack London Square and in Danville (@Lunardi's).

If you haven't tried, you're in for a treat. The crust is spectacular...even on it's own paired with the amazing house made buratta.
  (#9) Old
Real Bear

04-21-2014, 09:30 AM

some mixed reviews about the Pizza Hipster on Yelp.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pizzahacker-san-francisco-4