Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Women's Basketball
Reload this Page Bears beat UNLV to win Cal Classic 70-48
Notices

(#1) Old
Staff Writer

Bears beat UNLV to win Cal Classic 70-48 - 12-04-2011, 05:23 PM

STORY:
http://www.bearinsider.com/news/story.php?article=1634

Great first half. It was really fun to see them play in rhythm offensively.

GO BEARS!
  (#2) Old
Real Bear

PearBear, thanks for a fine story; - 12-04-2011, 05:55 PM

it's not easy to turn out something that good that quickly; you seemed inspired, as I'm sure many of us were by Cal's performance today, especially during the first half. Reshanda's commitment and conscientiousness are pretty inspiring, too.
  (#3) Old
Staff Writer

12-04-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBint View Post
it's not easy to turn out something that good that quickly; you seemed inspired, as I'm sure many of us were by Cal's performance today, especially during the first half. Reshanda's commitment and conscientiousness are pretty inspiring, too.
Thanks BearBint. Of course, I just realized that I gave Reshanda only 22 pts instead of 23. Hmmm... guess I was working too quickly after all! Pesky stats and facts and stuff! LOL

As for being inspired, I certainly loved seeing so many plays where a perfectly-timed pass found a streaking player who then finished. And it wasn't just Brittany either. Eliza also had some great post-entry passes. It's encouraging, bc this may mean that in games where we can't overcome the opposition through sheer athletic ability (race past, or outjump, etc...), we can beat them in other ways.

GO BEARS!

Last edited by pearbear; 12-04-2011 at 08:06 PM.
  (#4) Old
Real Bear

12-04-2011, 09:32 PM

Yes, pearbear, there were many Boyd-inspired passes from others. She's already had a huge impact on this team. I agree, this bodes well for the future. I have to say that this is my favorite aspect of this team: the ball movement, the number of assisted baskets. Even when a player doesn't finish, it's not because of a bad pass.

Love the story. Thanks for the quick reporting! I'd love to see Reshanda try a between the legs pass. She is a character. I also loved the way she just hugged Sandy Barbour instead of just taking the award. Truly someone special. It was a tough week for her and Boyd, but it's great to see them respond like this, both in terms of performance and demeanor. This is a downright fun team to watch!
  (#5) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-05-2011, 11:35 AM

Great story pearbear. You captured the excitement of the Boyd-Gray combo and the relentless efficiency Cal displayed in turning away UNLV. Gottlieb is clearly pleased with this performance because it reflects the kind of play the Bears will have to have on a consistent basis to beat tough conference opponents down the road and in the Tournament. I continue to be worried about Cal's lack of perimeter scoring, though.
  (#6) Old
Staff Writer

Video highlights of Cal Classic games - 12-05-2011, 06:32 PM

http://vimeo.com/33192736

I love the chance to see certain plays again, from a different angle.

GO BEARS!
  (#7) Old
Real Bear

Was at the game..... - 12-05-2011, 07:09 PM

Won't repeat PearBear comments. I was blown away with Gray's bank shots sometimes from difficult angles off of otherwise great feeds.

Team was really up and I thought the refs were too tough on tacky fouls on Cal, but that may be my homerism.

I remember Gray making her first three baskets but the scoreboard must have given one of her field goals to Talia.

Have to say Brandon makes me laugh because as soon as she got in the game I said to a friend "watch her rebound"; she's a magnet. And sure enough she rebounds the ball not more than 10 seconds subbing in. She is so consistent.

I think her leg brace (or pad) hinder her offensive moves (stride looked choppy) as she got called for a travel after her succcessful lay-in of a shot.

As we all know, Boyd really gets the ball down court and is now looking for the pass more than forcing a shot.

I am with Puget Sound poster here: I think we have to see improvement in the outside shooting. Yes, we really effectively feed our bigs inside, but against Stanford with 6-3 and 6-5 posts, those shots may not be there, hence the need for balance with good outside shooting.

Side Bar: At half, it was fun to watch the sold out NCAA Mens Water Polo Match (USC-UCLA) in Spieker Aquatic Center from the windows of Haas Gym