Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page BRO Speculation of Negative SI Article
Notices
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
Adrian The Cal Bear Adrian The Cal Bear is offline
Real Bear
 
Adrian The Cal Bear's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,311
Join Date: Jun 2009
BRO Speculation of Negative SI Article - 02-28-2012, 11:34 AM

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=12&f=1737&t=8745965

Summary : This article is by a writer with a history of bringing down programs. UCLA boosters are supposedly scared. And one poster claims that this article might be enough for UCLA to fire Ben Howland.

Don't know how credible this is but should be interesting to follow.
Reply With Quote
  (#2) Old
Adrian The Cal Bear Adrian The Cal Bear is offline
Real Bear
 
Adrian The Cal Bear's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,311
Join Date: Jun 2009
02-28-2012, 11:36 AM

And now speculation is it's about drug usage.
Reply With Quote
  (#3) Old
socaltownie socaltownie is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
Posts: 7,568
Join Date: Jul 2008
02-28-2012, 12:52 PM

Interesting
Reply With Quote
  (#4) Old
seattlebear02 seattlebear02 is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 1,727
Join Date: Jul 2008
02-28-2012, 01:05 PM

Let's just hope UCLA stays focused enough for the UW game
Reply With Quote
  (#5) Old
calumnus calumnus is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
Posts: 12,121
Join Date: Jul 2008
02-28-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian The Cal Bear View Post
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=12&f=1737&t=8745965

Summary : This article is by a writer with a history of bringing down programs. UCLA boosters are supposedly scared. And one poster claims that this article might be enough for UCLA to fire Ben Howland.

Don't know how credible this is but should be interesting to follow.
Might it be a good excuse to rid themselves of Howland's contract?
Reply With Quote
  (#6) Old
socaltownie socaltownie is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
Posts: 7,568
Join Date: Jul 2008
02-28-2012, 02:32 PM

Actually m(with some glee) should it turn out to have the ring of truth it might set them back a bit to get one academically oriented SF that would really make our class stellar should we be able to land him.
Reply With Quote
  (#7) Old
Holmoephobic Holmoephobic is offline
Loyal Bear
 
Posts: 2,535
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: East Bay
02-28-2012, 03:06 PM

Cocaine abuse -- bet on it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkoksi
I doubt either (Lupoi and Gould) will end up with a head coaching job in the future. that isn't to say they suck. they are excellent assistants, but aren't the offense or defensive minds to take us to pac-12 titles.
Reply With Quote
  (#8) Old
KoreAmBear KoreAmBear is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
KoreAmBear's Avatar
 
Posts: 22,113
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Somewhere along the Ko`olau Summit Trail
02-28-2012, 05:31 PM

Shocking development. College kids smoke weed!

Well, Ben Howland, get your bucket list in order, kiddo.

https://twitter.com/#!/SPORTSbyBROOK...81541270704128

Btw this is not good for the UCLA upset of UW. *sigh*
Reply With Quote
  (#9) Old
socaltownie socaltownie is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
Posts: 7,568
Join Date: Jul 2008
02-28-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
Shocking development. College kids smoke weed!

Well, Ben Howland, get your bucket list in order, kiddo.

https://twitter.com/#!/SPORTSbyBROOK...81541270704128

Btw this is not good for the UCLA upset of UW. *sigh*
I am guessing something more cause it would be almost impossible to spend 6500 words on just the subject of imbibing in some choice product. Can't wait to read on Wednesday AM ;-)
Reply With Quote
  (#10) Old
socaltownie socaltownie is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
Posts: 7,568
Join Date: Jul 2008
02-28-2012, 07:01 PM

The take is actually more about Howland as an "petty, absentee, diva coach". Oh that is going to make recruiting SOOOOOOOOO much fun ;-)

Come on Zena, our coach is the anti-BH

I actually like their chances against UW on Saturday, the whole "beseiged" emotional sort of thing.
Reply With Quote
  (#11) Old
brj1 brj1 is offline
Real Bear
 
brj1's Avatar
 
Posts: 963
Join Date: Jul 2008
Both Howland's success and failure - 02-28-2012, 07:05 PM

could possibly be linked to his closeness with the Pump Brothers, AAU influence peddlers down south whom together, it has been written, select and then funnel talent to Westwood. Looking at the roster this season, you see top talent, but definitely not players that would thrive under Howland's disciplined style of play. I still think he is a good coach who would thrive in a lower profile program where could do his own recruiting. Not saying he is a victim here, but the Pump Brothers were instrumental in getting him to Ucla, primarily with money from Adidas.
Reply With Quote
  (#12) Old
socaltownie socaltownie is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
Posts: 7,568
Join Date: Jul 2008
02-28-2012, 07:13 PM

RUMOR IS NOW WE HAVE AT LEAST ONE FORMER PLAYER USING METH!!!

We are starting to approach Tosh-like levels if this is as good as the rumors are starting to fly ;-)
Reply With Quote
  (#13) Old
socaltownie socaltownie is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
Posts: 7,568
Join Date: Jul 2008
02-28-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
RUMOR IS NOW WE HAVE AT LEAST ONE FORMER PLAYER USING METH!!!

We are starting to approach Tosh-like levels if this is as good as the rumors are starting to fly ;-)
BTW - if this is true I get a good test of my "UC Faculty Senate(s) have coaches on short rope." Weed is one thing (hell, probably most of the faculty senate used in undergrad and grad) but Meth of Cocaine would be a huge step - especially if there is smoke that Ben knew/should have known and looked the other way
Reply With Quote
  (#14) Old
south bender south bender is online now
Loyal Bear
 
Posts: 4,712
Join Date: Nov 2010
Howland Better at a Lower Profile Program? - 02-28-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brj1 View Post
I still think he is a good coach who would thrive in a lower profile program...
The man was coach when UCLA went to 3 consecutive Final Fours, when his teams were loaded with future NBA talent. The best of that impressive array was even all-NBA caliber, such as Westbrook and Love.

How does success with such talent lead to the notion that UCLA is too high a profile program for him?

Looking at the current UCLA team, I would say that they are simply not talented enough to contend in the conference.

I am aware that many talented players have left UCLA in the years since the Final Four guys. I am no rabid follower of or expert on UCLA, so why this loss of talent occurred, I do not know. Still, from having seen his success at UCLA with really talented players, more talented certainly than the recent defectors, I really don't get this argument.
Reply With Quote
  (#15) Old
calumnus calumnus is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
Posts: 12,121
Join Date: Jul 2008
02-28-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south bender View Post
The man was coach when UCLA went to 3 consecutive Final Fours, when his teams were loaded with future NBA talent. The best of that impressive array was even all-NBA caliber, such as Westbrook and Love.

How does success with such talent lead to the notion that UCLA is too high a profile program for him?

Looking at the current UCLA team, I would say that they are simply not talented enough to contend in the conference.

I am aware that many talented players have left UCLA in the years since the Final Four guys. I am no rabid follower of or expert on UCLA, so why this loss of talent occurred, I do not know. Still, from having seen his success at UCLA with really talented players, more talented certainly than the recent defectors, I really don't get this argument.
It was just a matter of time.

Howland is not fun to play for and his system is not fun to play in.

Initially, kids looking at UCLA did not know that. He had holdovers from Lavin. He brought in a few under the radar guys. He got to the Final Four, repeatedly. Winning covers anything. It was UCLA and they were winning. Top players wanted to go there.

But eventually the word got out:

Howland is not fun to play for and his system is not fun to play in.

Now they don't even have the winning.

When Howland gets frustrated, he yells. A lot.

Future NBA talent is heading elsewhere.

People say he should just recruit the lunch pail kids, the hard workers, that will buy into his defense first system. The kind of kids that you can find near Pittsburgh or Eastern Michigan.

But not L.A. L.A. kids dream of playing for the Lakers, being the next Kobe Bryant. Top players from around the country will gladly go to L.A. to play for a few years. UCLA has the tradition of Carolina with the glamour of Hollywood.

Howland and his disciplined approach just doesn't fit.

Last edited by calumnus; 02-28-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Ad Management by RedTyger