Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page Quarterback play in the Spring Game
Notices
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
SFCityBear SFCityBear is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 2,025
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Take a wild guess
Quarterback play in the Spring Game - 04-22-2012, 02:04 PM

How did you rate the play of the Cal quarterbacks you saw in the Spring game? Here is my take, for what it is worth:

Zach Maynard: Seemed more confident and relaxed, and did fairly well throwing the ball and making decisions.

Allan Bridgford: Made some good throws, and made some bad ones. He made some bad decisions, and he doesnt seem to throw very accurately when rolling out. Had some passes knocked down. He still has a longer release time than you would like.

Zach Kline: Very impressive for a first look. Very quick release. I loved that throw where he stepped up into the pocket and hit the receiver over the top, right in stride. Others might have thrown a floater, and that would have given the DBs a chance to get to it. He was very accurate while rolling right and passing on the run. He makes quick decisions, and it was always seemed to be the right one. I was particularly impressed when he rolled out, and when everyone was covered, he threw the ball away, instead of forcing a high risk pass, which is what we usually saw from recent Cal QBs. Id like to see how he looks rolling left.

Kyle Boehm: To be fair, he seemed to get more than his fair share of bad snaps, both low and high, and with his height, it is difficult to field the ankle-high snaps. He made one nice throw to Harris, but otherwise he seemed a little rattled, and made some bad decisions. He looks like a big strong kid who is still maturing. A bit of a project.

Austin Hinder: After wearing the headset and sending in signals for the entire first half, I didnt think they would put him in for meaningful minutes. When they did put him in, I was very impressed. He has mobility, can roll right or left, and I was surprised with how much zip he can put on the ball when rolling left. He was very accurate throwing the ball, and nearly won the game for his side. I saw no bad decisions.

In conclusion, we have some real talent in this group. Under many coaches, Maynard would be in a real fight to keep this job. Maynard was rated 59th of 100 QBs in passing efficiency by the NCAA, and 40th by ESPN. He is rated 10th of 12 QBs in the PAC12. Last year, Cal only played 4 very good teams, and Maynard played poorly against all but Stanford. His other good games came against the weaker opponents. He did not improve much from his last year at Buffalo. To me, he just seemed rattled out there in the big games, and rattled in pressure situations. With a year in the PAC12 under his belt, he should improve, but will it be enough? Tedford doesnt have much of a hook. He picks a QB to start the season, and barring injury or calamity, sticks with him all the way. If it were me, and Kline doesnt have a clear edge by the end of Fall camp, Id start Maynard. If he does not do well in the first two games, Id have a short leash on him in the Ohio State game, and if Maynard falters, Kline goes in there, with Hinder as his backup. This is all based on what I saw in the Spring game, but boy, I sure liked what I saw from Kline and Hinder.

Reply With Quote
  (#2) Old
SmellinRoses SmellinRoses is offline
Loyal Bear
 
Posts: 3,978
Join Date: Jul 2008
04-22-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCityBear View Post
How did you rate the play of the Cal quarterbacks you saw in the Spring game? Here is my take, for what it is worth:

Zach Maynard: Seemed more confident and relaxed, and did fairly well throwing the ball and making decisions.

Allan Bridgford: Made some good throws, and made some bad ones. He made some bad decisions, and he doesn’t seem to throw very accurately when rolling out. Had some passes knocked down. He still has a longer release time than you would like.

Zach Kline: Very impressive for a first look. Very quick release. I loved that throw where he stepped up into the pocket and hit the receiver over the top, right in stride. Others might have thrown a floater, and that would have given the DB’s a chance to get to it. He was very accurate while rolling right and passing on the run. He makes quick decisions, and it was always seemed to be the right one. I was particularly impressed when he rolled out, and when everyone was covered, he threw the ball away, instead of forcing a high risk pass, which is what we usually saw from recent Cal QB’s. I’d like to see how he looks rolling left.

Kyle Boehm: To be fair, he seemed to get more than his fair share of bad snaps, both low and high, and with his height, it is difficult to field the ankle-high snaps. He made one nice throw to Harris, but otherwise he seemed a little rattled, and made some bad decisions. He looks like a big strong kid who is still maturing. A bit of a project.

Austin Hinder: After wearing the headset and sending in signals for the entire first half, I didn’t think they would put him in for meaningful minutes. When they did put him in, I was very impressed. He has mobility, can roll right or left, and I was surprised with how much zip he can put on the ball when rolling left. He was very accurate throwing the ball, and nearly won the game for his side. I saw no bad decisions.

In conclusion, we have some real talent in this group. Under many coaches, Maynard would be in a real fight to keep this job. Maynard was rated 59th of 100 QB’s in passing efficiency by the NCAA, and 40th by ESPN. He is rated 10th of 12 QB’s in the PAC12. Last year, Cal only played 4 very good teams, and Maynard played poorly against all but Stanford. His other good games came against the weaker opponents. He did not improve much from his last year at Buffalo. To me, he just seemed rattled out there in the big games, and rattled in pressure situations. With a year in the PAC12 under his belt, he should improve, but will it be enough? Tedford doesn’t have much of a hook. He picks a QB to start the season, and barring injury or calamity, sticks with him all the way. If it were me, and Kline doesn’t have a clear edge by the end of Fall camp, I’d start Maynard. If he does not do well in the first two games, I’d have a short leash on him in the Ohio State game, and if Maynard falters, Kline goes in there, with Hinder as his backup. This is all based on what I saw in the Spring game, but boy, I sure liked what I saw from Kline and Hinder.


Good breakdown. Yes, Maynard has the added benefit of a year under his belt but our opponents also now know his weakness - keep him in the pocket and he is a poor decision maker. It looked like Texas was determined to keep him in the pocket and they dropped a couple of picks. Maynard is a pretty good runner and can make plays out of the pocket. But he is an average QB with an average arm.

Can't help but think that with a month of fall camp and a chance to take snaps with the twos, Klein could emerge as giving us the best chance to win. That's not to say he'd be great, he'd struggle a bit but we don't have a lot of great options here.

Last edited by SmellinRoses; 04-22-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  (#3) Old
heartofthebear heartofthebear is offline
Loyal Bear
 
heartofthebear's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,465
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ben Lomond, a small town outside of Santa Cruz in the mountains
04-22-2012, 06:05 PM

First of all I wouldn't rely on one Spring game to conclude where our QB's should be in the depth chart. The blue QB's had considerably better OL protection than the Gold. I agree with many of your observations however. Here is my summary from what I saw:

I was impressed by all the QB's and believe that any one of them can lead our offense to score. I was pleasantly surprised by Kline and Maynard and somewhat disappointed in Bridgeford. I thought Hinder has improved more than any other QB from last year. Boehm was about what I expected but was sacked more than was necessary.

I thought that Maynard looked the smoothest, Bridgeford didn't move in the pocket and improvise like Maynard does. Kline is better at improvising than Bridgeford right now. Kline's throw for the 2-point conversion was NFL level IMHO because it had to timed and located perfectly.

I do have a grave concern about Maynard. In watching throwing drills prior to the game, Maynard's ball lagged slightly behind the other two QB's who were throwing in synch with him. The reason is not anything other than Maynard's build. Because Maynard is lanky with long arms and legs he has a longer arc to get to the release point than others. Personally, I would never recruit a QB with a build lack Maynard. He should be a DB or WR. What this means is that he will have a hard time performing under a big pass rush. That is why he had a hard time against Texas, USC and UCLA. Stanford did not rush him as badly and I didn't see the Oregon game and so don't know what happened other than the injury. I do think Maynard has improved his mental quickness, but he will need the OL to be much more consistent and better than last year. The problem is that the Pac-12 is full of above average DLs this coming season with UCLA, USC, Utah, Stanford, ASU, Oregon and Washington. Even Colorado and Arizona have decent DL's and Oregon St. is stong at DE. I would guess that DL may be the strongest position in the Pac-12 along with RB and DB. I hope Maynard survives the season.

I actually think our best QB's in handling pressure are our youngest in Boehm, Hinder and Kline. Kline will have to bulk up some so he isn't as easy to knock down. But he already looks stronger than he did in HS. Hinder, Bridgeford and Boehm look like the strongest QB's right now.

Next year's spring QB competition should be interesting and I imagine it will sustain a high level of play.
Reply With Quote
  (#4) Old
72CalBear 72CalBear is offline
Loyal Bear
 
72CalBear's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,167
Join Date: Jul 2008
04-23-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCityBear View Post
How did you rate the play of the Cal quarterbacks you saw in the Spring game? Here is my take, for what it is worth:

Zach Maynard: Seemed more confident and relaxed, and did fairly well throwing the ball and making decisions.

Allan Bridgford: Made some good throws, and made some bad ones. He made some bad decisions, and he doesnt seem to throw very accurately when rolling out. Had some passes knocked down. He still has a longer release time than you would like.

Zach Kline: Very impressive for a first look. Very quick release. I loved that throw where he stepped up into the pocket and hit the receiver over the top, right in stride. Others might have thrown a floater, and that would have given the DBs a chance to get to it. He was very accurate while rolling right and passing on the run. He makes quick decisions, and it was always seemed to be the right one. I was particularly impressed when he rolled out, and when everyone was covered, he threw the ball away, instead of forcing a high risk pass, which is what we usually saw from recent Cal QBs. Id like to see how he looks rolling left.

Kyle Boehm: To be fair, he seemed to get more than his fair share of bad snaps, both low and high, and with his height, it is difficult to field the ankle-high snaps. He made one nice throw to Harris, but otherwise he seemed a little rattled, and made some bad decisions. He looks like a big strong kid who is still maturing. A bit of a project.

Austin Hinder: After wearing the headset and sending in signals for the entire first half, I didnt think they would put him in for meaningful minutes. When they did put him in, I was very impressed. He has mobility, can roll right or left, and I was surprised with how much zip he can put on the ball when rolling left. He was very accurate throwing the ball, and nearly won the game for his side. I saw no bad decisions.

In conclusion, we have some real talent in this group. Under many coaches, Maynard would be in a real fight to keep this job. Maynard was rated 59th of 100 QBs in passing efficiency by the NCAA, and 40th by ESPN. He is rated 10th of 12 QBs in the PAC12. Last year, Cal only played 4 very good teams, and Maynard played poorly against all but Stanford. His other good games came against the weaker opponents. He did not improve much from his last year at Buffalo. To me, he just seemed rattled out there in the big games, and rattled in pressure situations. With a year in the PAC12 under his belt, he should improve, but will it be enough? Tedford doesnt have much of a hook. He picks a QB to start the season, and barring injury or calamity, sticks with him all the way. If it were me, and Kline doesnt have a clear edge by the end of Fall camp, Id start Maynard. If he does not do well in the first two games, Id have a short leash on him in the Ohio State game, and if Maynard falters, Kline goes in there, with Hinder as his backup. This is all based on what I saw in the Spring game, but boy, I sure liked what I saw from Kline and Hinder.

Kline starting his first game in the Horseshoe????
Reply With Quote
  (#5) Old
calumnus calumnus is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
Posts: 12,117
Join Date: Jul 2008
04-23-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72CalBear View Post
Kline starting his first game in the Horseshoe????
Longshore recovered from Neyland, but not the ideal place to start an inexperienced QB.
Reply With Quote
  (#6) Old
Masau80 Masau80 is offline
Real Bear
 
Masau80's Avatar
 
Posts: 717
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Mexico
04-23-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofthebear View Post
First of all I wouldn't rely on one Spring game to conclude where our QB's should be in the depth chart. The blue QB's had considerably better OL protection than the Gold. I agree with many of your observations however. Here is my summary from what I saw:

I was impressed by all the QB's and believe that any one of them can lead our offense to score. I was pleasantly surprised by Kline and Maynard and somewhat disappointed in Bridgeford. I thought Hinder has improved more than any other QB from last year. Boehm was about what I expected but was sacked more than was necessary.

I thought that Maynard looked the smoothest, Bridgeford didn't move in the pocket and improvise like Maynard does. Kline is better at improvising than Bridgeford right now. Kline's throw for the 2-point conversion was NFL level IMHO because it had to timed and located perfectly.

I do have a grave concern about Maynard. In watching throwing drills prior to the game, Maynard's ball lagged slightly behind the other two QB's who were throwing in synch with him. The reason is not anything other than Maynard's build. Because Maynard is lanky with long arms and legs he has a longer arc to get to the release point than others. Personally, I would never recruit a QB with a build lack Maynard. He should be a DB or WR. What this means is that he will have a hard time performing under a big pass rush. That is why he had a hard time against Texas, USC and UCLA. Stanford did not rush him as badly and I didn't see the Oregon game and so don't know what happened other than the injury. I do think Maynard has improved his mental quickness, but he will need the OL to be much more consistent and better than last year. The problem is that the Pac-12 is full of above average DLs this coming season with UCLA, USC, Utah, Stanford, ASU, Oregon and Washington. Even Colorado and Arizona have decent DL's and Oregon St. is stong at DE. I would guess that DL may be the strongest position in the Pac-12 along with RB and DB. I hope Maynard survives the season.

I actually think our best QB's in handling pressure are our youngest in Boehm, Hinder and Kline. Kline will have to bulk up some so he isn't as easy to knock down. But he already looks stronger than he did in HS. Hinder, Bridgeford and Boehm look like the strongest QB's right now.

Next year's spring QB competition should be interesting and I imagine it will sustain a high level of play.
Not sure you watched the same game as the rest of us. The Gold OL was much better at pass protection than the Blue. The Blue tackles never found a way to slow down the speed rush off the corners and there were a lot of sacks. Maynard looked much improved from last fall. He no longer has "Happy Feet" in the pocket. He made all the throws he needed and he does have more mobility/elusiveness than the other 4. Its his position in the fall unless he gets injured. I was not as impressed with Bridgeford in this game as I was watching him in practice. Accuracy and velocity were suspect, as was his ability to move within the pocket. Boehm and Hinder were actually pleasant surprises. Both look to have more athleticism that Bridgeford. Kline could be the guy in 2013. He needs to get bigger. I still think he redshirts, learns the system and if he matures physically, steps in as the No. 1 next spring. If that happens though, I expect that one or two of the kids ahead of him now will look to transfer.
Reply With Quote
  (#7) Old
Rushinbear Rushinbear is offline
Loyal Bear
 
Posts: 2,557
Join Date: Jul 2008
04-23-2012, 09:03 AM

Won't know about Maynard until the live ammo starts to whistle past his ear, especially against the better teams. I'm thinking same as last year with a maybe < 4% completion percentage improvement. Same TD/INT ratio. Hope I'm wrong.

Interesting observations re Hinder. Maybe people need to forget about his putting on 20# and look at him as a wiry cuss. Then, just judge him on performance.

Kline could well have the "it" factor and overtake them all - next year, if not this.
Reply With Quote
  (#8) Old
dajo9 dajo9 is offline
Loyal Bear
 
dajo9's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,165
Join Date: Jul 2008
04-23-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masau80 View Post
Maynard looked much improved from last fall. He no longer has "Happy Feet" in the pocket.
So, you're saying Maynard didn't have happy feet in a no-quarterback contact spring game? I guess that's a good sign. I mean, if you have happy feet when the rules are against touching you - well that would be a problem.
Reply With Quote
  (#9) Old
Masau80 Masau80 is offline
Real Bear
 
Masau80's Avatar
 
Posts: 717
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Mexico
04-23-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajo9 View Post
So, you're saying Maynard didn't have happy feet in a no-quarterback contact spring game? I guess that's a good sign. I mean, if you have happy feet when the rules are against touching you - well that would be a problem.
There was plenty of pressure in the pocket. The no-touch really only came into play when they took off running. The sacks that happened to the Blue team were legitimate - Maynard, stayed in the pocket, moved when he could from pressure, and delivered very good balls. Bridgeford had more of cement feet - he needed to step up or slide a couple times and didn't. Kline plays next year at the earliest - I really hope he can grow another couple inches, 'cause at 6'1" he is undersized out there.
Reply With Quote
  (#10) Old
Masau80 Masau80 is offline
Real Bear
 
Masau80's Avatar
 
Posts: 717
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Mexico
04-23-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72CalBear View Post
Kline starting his first game in the Horseshoe????
Kline is the #4 at best QB right now - and in the summer. Redshirt him and let him get more mature physically.
Reply With Quote
  (#11) Old
Sonofafurd Sonofafurd is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 1,757
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Alameda, CA
04-23-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushinbear View Post
Won't know about Maynard until the live ammo starts to whistle past his ear, especially against the better teams. I'm thinking same as last year with a maybe < 4% completion percentage improvement. Same TD/INT ratio. Hope I'm wrong.
Maybe

At any rate, we should be in good shape for the future. If Tedford can't coax a good qb out of the Boehm, Hinder, Kline group ...
Reply With Quote
  (#12) Old
freshfunk freshfunk is offline
Loyal Bear
 
Posts: 4,925
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SODA Hall Showers
04-23-2012, 11:06 AM

If Kline turns out to be as good as we all hope he is, there's no point in "saving" him and redshirting him as he's likely to go to the NFL anyway (big if of course but just saying).

From the sounds of it, I still think he gets redshirted because there are too many good options ahead of him. With that said, it sounds like he could be #2 or even #1 in 2013. Imagine that with our incoming WR studs with a year under their belt and LAsco/biggie with more experience too.
Reply With Quote
  (#13) Old
SmellinRoses SmellinRoses is offline
Loyal Bear
 
Posts: 3,978
Join Date: Jul 2008
04-23-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumnus View Post
Longshore recovered from Neyland, but not the ideal place to start an inexperienced QB.
Barkley handled it.
Reply With Quote
  (#14) Old
Masau80 Masau80 is offline
Real Bear
 
Masau80's Avatar
 
Posts: 717
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Mexico
04-23-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshfunk View Post
If Kline turns out to be as good as we all hope he is, there's no point in "saving" him and redshirting him as he's likely to go to the NFL anyway (big if of course but just saying).

From the sounds of it, I still think he gets redshirted because there are too many good options ahead of him. With that said, it sounds like he could be #2 or even #1 in 2013. Imagine that with our incoming WR studs with a year under their belt and LAsco/biggie with more experience too.
He is not going to go early to the NFL only being 6'1" - that is going to be his biggest hurdle. He will benefit form a year of maturity, a year of Coach Blasquez and hopefully a last growth spurt.
Reply With Quote
  (#15) Old
FrankBear21 FrankBear21 is offline
Real Bear
 
FrankBear21's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,324
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Redwood City
04-23-2012, 11:22 AM

redshirting kline is pointless. He could very well be our best QB by the end of the season if not earlier. Why not get him some reps as the number 2 if he works his way up there. Unless he is the #4 then they shouldn't redshirt him, which he won't be.

For all we know, Maynard could go down half way through the season and kline is the next best. Would be nice to get him some playing experience before taking the reigns.

Also the season doesn't start for another 5 months, so he will have basically half a year to get bigger. That is a lot of time.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Ad Management by RedTyger