Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page cal's monster class
Notices

(#31) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

09-11-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south bender View Post
All the recent good news is wonderful.

Particularly I like it because I think it will end the negativity toward Monty that has been so prevalent.

We were lucky to get him and continue to be lucky to have him.

Glad that we can concentrate on speculations going forward that don't entail the issue of whether we want Monty or not.
I am not sure the "negativity was prevalent"--many of us just think Monty is a great coach and just wanted him to get the players that, with his coaching, can make Cal a national player. Some of Monty's strongest supporters tried to argue Monty was content, and we should be too, with a "small is beautiful" approach--that he did not want AAU players, potential one and dones, and what we have seen so far, we should be happy with in the future. As I said at the time, such "defenses" were counter productive and actually provoked the more negative opinions of some posters here (the very few that actually wanted Monty gone). A larger group of us love Monty but see the that the Pac-12 is getting stronger and that what allowed us to challenge for Pac-12 championships but lose in the first round of the Tournament, probably wouldn't even get us that in the future. We just wanted Monty to make changes that could make us a national power under his direction.

We wanted:

1. Changes in the staff to emphasize recruiting. Check (DeCuire promoted and obviously now our main recruiter, coach John reassigned to a more administrative role).

2. The hiring of a young Cal alum with NorCal or SoCal AAU ties. Check (Theo Robertson, Oakland Soldiers, Cal GA).

3. Aggressively pursuing the local AAU star players. Check (Bird, Gordon, Lee)

4. Aggressively pursuing players that might be "one and dones." Check (Bird, Gordon, Lee).

5. Take advantage of Bird's legacy status, local residence and lifelong Cal fandom to get the ball rolling, especially with an early commitment that could get other top players interested in Cal (Check).

Everyone is happy now.

Last edited by calumnus; 09-11-2012 at 11:30 AM.
  (#32) Old
Loyal Bear

Good Post - 09-11-2012, 09:47 AM

Well put.

I have no issue with anything that you wrote.

From the recent looks of it, Monty has adjusted a bit to the current recruiting environment. And perhaps good luck has factored in, with Cal's unique connection to Bird.
  (#33) Old
Loyal Bear

travel costs - 09-13-2012, 02:23 PM

marcus lee's twitter aparently referenced cal, kentucky and louisville

so how much would it cost his mom and family to attend games for one weekend?

utilizing travelocity for the weekend of january 10th thru the 13th:

cheapest fare oakland to louisville-$377 per person with 2 stops and over 13 hours of travel

shortest travel time oakland to louisville-over 8 hours and $554 per person

hotel in louisville-mid range hotel for 3 nights over $400

car rental in louisville-$125 for 3 days

food in louisville-nothing fancy $25 per day per person

--------------------------

driving the family car to berkeley roundtrip for every home game-$10 for gas and a 30 minute drive each way

Last edited by Shocky1; 09-13-2012 at 04:33 PM.
  (#34) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

09-13-2012, 02:57 PM

Shocky...

Players who are in good standing academically do not negatively impact APR if they leave before graduating. That's better than minimal...
  (#35) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

09-14-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumnus View Post
I am not sure the "negativity was prevalent"--many of us just think Monty is a great coach and just wanted him to get the players that, with his coaching, can make Cal a national player. Some of Monty's strongest supporters tried to argue Monty was content, and we should be too, with a "small is beautiful" approach--that he did not want AAU players, potential one and dones, and what we have seen so far, we should be happy with in the future. As I said at the time, such "defenses" were counter productive and actually provoked the more negative opinions of some posters here (the very few that actually wanted Monty gone). A larger group of us love Monty but see the that the Pac-12 is getting stronger and that what allowed us to challenge for Pac-12 championships but lose in the first round of the Tournament, probably wouldn't even get us that in the future. We just wanted Monty to make changes that could make us a national power under his direction.

We wanted:

1. Changes in the staff to emphasize recruiting. Check (DeCuire promoted and obviously now our main recruiter, coach John reassigned to a more administrative role).

2. The hiring of a young Cal alum with NorCal or SoCal AAU ties. Check (Theo Robertson, Oakland Soldiers, Cal GA).

3. Aggressively pursuing the local AAU star players. Check (Bird, Gordon, Lee)

4. Aggressively pursuing players that might be "one and dones." Check (Bird, Gordon, Lee).

5. Take advantage of Bird's legacy status, local residence and lifelong Cal fandom to get the ball rolling, especially with an early commitment that could get other top players interested in Cal (Check).

Everyone is happy now.

+1. I am particularly excited about what we are hearing about DeCuire and what sounds like his development of ties to the local elite level players. A steady diet of the best in NorCal with the occasional pick up from elite SoCal would be a pipeline that would be fantastic.
  (#36) Old
Real Bear

FlashingScriptCal Lot's of good stuff - 09-14-2012, 01:25 PM

BTW, I hope Monty stays longer than his extension. He is a huge draw o recruits because he is a proven winner with a squeaky clean program.I would hope if we see the success these new recruits bring, that Monty will stay around even longer. We could make DeCuire an associate head coach and raise his salary to keep him on board until his turn comes up. All Monty lacks on his resume is an NCAA title, and I would love to see him at Cal. The key in recruiting is to add two big boys to give Monty the twin towers offense he used so effectively on the farm. I also suspect Cal is going to be a lot better than folks think in the coming season. If all the pieces come together, we could be a Top 10 team in 2013.
  (#37) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

09-14-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfan64 View Post
BTW, I hope Monty stays longer than his extension. He is a huge draw o recruits because he is a proven winner with a squeaky clean program.I would hope if we see the success these new recruits bring, that Monty will stay around even longer. We could make DeCuire an associate head coach and raise his salary to keep him on board until his turn comes up. All Monty lacks on his resume is an NCAA title, and I would love to see him at Cal. The key in recruiting is to add two big boys to give Monty the twin towers offense he used so effectively on the farm. I also suspect Cal is going to be a lot better than folks think in the coming season. If all the pieces come together, we could be a Top 10 team in 2013.
The great thing about Monty is that he has shown he can produce running a multitude of offenses and with different personnel. It is because, as great teachers are apt to do, he has a knack for communicating with his players and putting them in positions so that they can do well....what they do well.
  (#38) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

09-14-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfan64 View Post
We could make DeCuire an associate head coach and raise his salary to keep him on board until his turn comes up.
I don't know about his salary, but DeCuire was already promoted to Associate Head Coach--that was one of the changes in the staff that I was referring to.
http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-bas..._travis00.html
  (#39) Old
Loyal Bear

09-15-2012, 12:06 AM

With Washington ties, one can bet that UW is, or will be all over Travis...

The University of California - One of the finest universities in the world, is the oldest public university in our great state with origins dating back to 1855, and university status granted in 1868. Go Bears!
  (#40) Old
Loyal Bear

09-17-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Bear View Post
Shocky...

Players who are in good standing academically do not negatively impact APR if they leave before graduating. That's better than minimal...
appreciate the heads up on apr calculations, 71b

does this mean that the transfers of dj seeley, omondi "quick hands" amoke and the return of max to china's national team won't count against the bears apr if they were academically eligible when they left berkeley?...all 3 were ben braun recruits

monty has done a solid job of identifying and recruiting great student athletes and then providing the framework for them to graduate from the #1 public university in the world

anybody know the basketball graduation rates for either kentucky or louisville?

Last edited by Shocky1; 09-17-2012 at 06:26 PM.
  (#41) Old
Loyal Bear

09-19-2012, 10:33 PM

why would marcus lee opt to go across the country and leave his family (mom and brother bryan would need to spend thousands of dollars in order to watch any of his games in person) in order to attend an academically inferior school (with a devalued diploma should he become injured) and pass up on the opportunity to represent the bay area and build something special at cal with his friends?

us world and news rankings of national universities

university of kentucky-#125
university of louisville-#160

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

university of california, berkelely-#1 ranked public university in the world

family matters

cal gang 2013#

Last edited by Shocky1; 09-20-2012 at 05:48 AM.
  (#42) Old
Real Bear

09-20-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocky1 View Post
why would marcus lee opt to go across the country and leave his family (mom and brother bryan would need to spend thousands of dollars in order to watch any of his games in person) in order to attend an academically inferior school (with a devalued diploma should he become injured) and pass up on the opportunity to represent the bay area and build something special at cal with his friends?

family matters

cal gang 2013#
+1,000
  (#43) Old
Loyal Bear

NBA Preparation - 09-20-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:

family matters

cal gang 2013#
There is no comparison between Cal and the Kentucky schools academically, as you point out.

Moreover, as for NBA preparation, there is no advantage to the Kentucky programs.

Monty is not just a great coach and teacher, he knows the NBA well, from his two years as head coach of the Warriors. He will help the development of any player, as he has shown over his career. He will help prepare the superior player for the NBA. Calipari or Pitino have less to offer in that regard, in my opinion. And if you are ready for the NBA after your freshman or any other year, the NBA will find you, wherever you attend college.

Kentucky and Louisville offer no advantages over Cal, while Cal has many advantages that these schools do not.

Go Bears!
  (#44) Old
Loyal Bear

09-20-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south bender View Post
There is no comparison between Cal and the Kentucky schools academically, as you point out.

Moreover, as for NBA preparation, there is no advantage to the Kentucky programs.

Monty is not just a great coach and teacher, he knows the NBA well, from his two years as head coach of the Warriors. He will help the development of any player, as he has shown over his career. He will help prepare the superior player for the NBA. Calipari or Pitino have less to offer in that regard, in my opinion. And if you are ready for the NBA after your freshman or any other year, the NBA will find you, wherever you attend college.

Kentucky and Louisville offer no advantages over Cal, while Cal has many advantages that these schools do not.

Go Bears!
good points

actually kentucky offers one clear advantage over cal: really sweet dorm rooms with single occupancy beds designed for 7 footers and a chef on site right next door to the practice basketball facility

seriously doubt marcus lee is that superficial/easily impressed that he's going to pass up a world class education with a former nba coach and the opportunity to play in front of his mom, older brother bryan, family & friends while representing the bay area alongside his buddies bird & matthews for a medicore education and basically a nice room at the hilton in lexington

family matters

go wildcats

Last edited by Shocky1; 09-20-2012 at 01:05 PM.
  (#45) Old
no bear

09-20-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:

I guess there must just be a lot of really dumb basketball players who don't read US News & World Report

Seriously though, anyone who doesn't understand why really talented basketball players pick a school like Kentucky over a school like Cal doesn't understand what really talented basketball players value the most. If you can play basketball, you could play for Siberia State and the NBA will find you and draft you, but most kids are thinking about what gives them the best chance to make the league. Academic rankings of university are way down there on the list of factors they are considering unless they feel like it's not a sure thing that they are NBA material and they need that degree to fall back on.