Chat Room [2]
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page It bugs me seeing the "Monty's Arrogance" title...
Notices

(#46) Old
Real Bear

12-14-2012, 08:11 PM

Willie, if you're not going to air his dirty laundry, you should be man enough to not refer to it.

Back up your crap or stop talking it.
  (#47) Old
Loyal Bear

12-14-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumnus View Post
Willie said it was Lee's mom that asked, which sounds plausible that she is not thinking 1 or 2 and done (like Marcus and Willie), and that it was the way Monty dealt with the question that was the turnoff, which I have to admit, is believable.

We know how Monty can be, he is old school and curmudgeonly--much of our fan base relates and loves him for that (though we hated him at Stanford). It is just not the prototypical "sales" or "recruiting" personality--but I think that if he gets to know players and their parents earlier on in the process they will grow to understand him better and more importantly, really trust him, because he is nothing if not a straight shooter.
Fact is none of us really know what went on between Monty and the Lees.

So if any of us want to express frustration with Monty's recruiting, said person can latch onto WB's accusations as if they are proven facts. When they are no such thing.

Dies anyone here wish to claim that from Beamon's posts he is confident that he knows the context of the conversations between the Lees and Monty?

Short of a yes answer to that question, is it not ludicrous to vilify Monty for Lee's choosing Kenyucky?

I am with HoopDreams in saying let go of this silly crying over spilled milk, particularly when it is supported only by Beamon's questionable charges.
  (#48) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-14-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south bender View Post
Fact is none of us really know what went on between Monty and the Lees.

So if any of us want to express frustration with Monty's recruiting, said person can latch onto WB's accusations as if they are proven facts. When they are no such thing.

Dies anyone here wish to claim that from Beamon's posts he is confident that he knows the context of the conversations between the Lees and Monty?

Short of a yes answer to that question, is it not ludicrous to vilify Monty for Lee's choosing Kenyucky?

I am with HoopDreams in saying let go of this silly crying over spilled milk, particularly when it is supported only by Beamon's questionable charges.
I hope I wasn't seen as vilifying Monty and I'm not "crying over spilt milk."

As a way of "moving on" I was just trying to say maybe no one is "wrong" here--that it is plausible that Monty did not come off well that day, at least as perceived by the Lee family. We are not talking about how Monty "really is" we are talking about the way he was perceived--especially when compared to Calipari, one of the slickest guys in the business. Willie may be truthfully reporting the Lees' (or just his own) perception, which is relevant--even if that perception is not accurate.

As I said, I do think Monty needs to let recruits and their parents get to know him over time and build a relationship--then they will see that he is someone they can really trust--either that or just have another coach be the one selling (and explaining) Monty.
  (#49) Old
Loyal Bear

12-15-2012, 08:59 AM

Personally, I am for better or worse taking WB's account at face value, though I understand a number of folks here completely discount it as "Boston Market". If WB is to be believed, there is nobody it bugs more, I'm sure, than Monty Jr., and I empathize with him.
  (#50) Old
Loyal Bear

12-15-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumnus View Post

We know how Monty can be, he is old school and curmudgeonly--much of our fan base relates and loves him for that (though we hated him at Stanford). It is just not the prototypical "sales" or "recruiting" personality--but I think that if he gets to know players and their parents earlier on in the process they will grow to understand him better and more importantly, really trust him, because he is nothing if not a straight shooter.
I have no qualms about saying I respected Montgomery at Stanford and very much rooted for his teams, especially come tournament time.
So, there!
  (#51) Old
Loyal Bear

12-15-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
Personally, I am for better or worse taking WB's account at face value, though I understand a number of folks here completely discount it as "Boston Market". If WB is to be believed, there is nobody it bugs more, I'm sure, than Monty Jr., and I empathize with him.
While I understand your POV Tom, I can't accept Wee Wiile's explanations @ face value as he delivers it with a touch of anger and, let's not forget, likely has an agenda as well. Hell, I could say I was friends w/Monty and claim I knew of "things that were said" and defend Monty to the detriment of the Lee's. But to what end?

That is where HD makes the most sense - move along, nothing to see (or believe) here.
  (#52) Old
no bear

12-19-2012, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petalumabear View Post
While I understand your POV Tom, I can't accept Wee Wiile's explanations @ face value as he delivers it with a touch of anger and, let's not forget, likely has an agenda as well. Hell, I could say I was friends w/Monty and claim I knew of "things that were said" and defend Monty to the detriment of the Lee's. But to what end?

That is where HD makes the most sense - move along, nothing to see (or believe) here.
The anger comes from people like you who think that whatever I say is either a lie or not credible because it's not what you want to hear. I have been around more players, high school, college, and pro than anybody probably on this board as well as coaches. I keep hearing this agenda. What agenda do I have by posting on a message board ? Can anybody explain that to me. The only reason why I started posting so much is because some of you people bashed Marcus because he didn't choose Cal. It just wasn't he best situation for him, if you haven't been recruited or been heavily involved in the recruitment of a player by the Cal staff, I suggest you chill with the accusations that I'm lying. Everything I say on hear I saw with my own eyes and heard with my own ears.
  (#53) Old
Loyal Bear

12-22-2012, 12:06 PM

If that's a threat dude, you just told all of us exactly what we already suspected. Good luck in life. You'll need it.
  (#54) Old
Real Bear

12-22-2012, 02:24 PM

I've met, spoken with, and interviewed well over 100 college coaches. Three of those stood out to me as interesting, intelligent, frank, funny people whom I would want to befriend--not meatheads or ego maniacs. Those three were Jim Harbaugh, Bobby Bowden, and Monty. It is interesting that two of the three personalities have been criticized here.

I met Monty several times and liked him even though he was at Stanford and every bone in my body wanted to dislike him. Perhaps you had a bad experience, I wasn't there, but I strongly dislike the word you used to describe him and completely disagree.

~The Bear will not quilt. The Bear will not dye.~