Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page Breakdown of Dykes' Offense
Notices
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#16) Old
Cal_Fan2 Cal_Fan2 is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
Cal_Fan2's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,582
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: East Bay, Ca...
12-13-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berk18 View Post
If the WLB doesn't move at all, the QB probably hands it off. A dynamic that I didn't mention is that the QB rolls right a little, which would give the LB time to recover and sink toward the sidelines if he had stayed put. This is a zone run to the offense's left, so if the WLB doesn't work in that direction he's really taking himself out of the run play. If he gives any indication of keying on the run, he can't cover the out and the QB hits it. So, throw against any motion toward the LOS or to the run's playside. Hand-off otherwise.

The receiver actually tip-toed down the sideline, and they gave him the first down.
Good job berk18. Nice to see some good analysis.
Reply With Quote
  (#17) Old
AU_Bears AU_Bears is offline
Real Bear
 
AU_Bears's Avatar
 
Posts: 719
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego
12-13-2012, 03:38 PM

Keep 'em coming!
Reply With Quote
  (#18) Old
berk18 berk18 is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 1,190
Join Date: Jul 2008
12-13-2012, 03:41 PM

Thanks, everyone. Also, let me know what topics you guys are interested in, and I'll try and find ways to get answers. I want to do some generic stuff about passing concepts, the different plays that he runs out of specific formations, etc. but I'm also going to try and get some 2008 UA film to look specifically at how Dykes used Gronkowski.
Reply With Quote
  (#19) Old
TouchedTheAxeIn82 TouchedTheAxeIn82 is offline
Loyal Bear
 
TouchedTheAxeIn82's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,427
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Heart of Darkness
12-13-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berk18 View Post
Something that lots of teams are starting to do (UCLA and ASU under Mazzone, WVU and OSU under Holgorsen, Oregon under Kelley, and increasingly more NFL teams) is to package two different plays together into one play call. This means that there might be a run heading to the left but a pass or a screen heading to the right, for example. The QB will then have a very specific read that determines whether he hands off or throws, a lot like the zone read that Oregon has made so famous.
Yeah I was unaware of this concept until I read this article a couple of months ago:

Packaged plays and rethinking the concept of modern play calling

Fascinating stuff.
Reply With Quote
  (#20) Old
calumnus calumnus is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
Posts: 12,123
Join Date: Jul 2008
12-13-2012, 04:00 PM

Nice write-up thanks!
Reply With Quote
  (#21) Old
berk18 berk18 is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 1,190
Join Date: Jul 2008
12-13-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchedTheAxeIn82 View Post
Yeah I was unaware of this concept until I read this article a couple of months ago:

Packaged plays and rethinking the concept of modern play calling

Fascinating stuff.
Grantland and smartfootball.com are awesome resources. Smart Football has several definitive pieces on the Mike Leach coaching tree that are great reads as well. I think the author has mentioned that he went to a QB camp run by Leach and Mumme at Kentucky as a prep QB, so he has a ton of stuff relevant to us.
Reply With Quote
  (#22) Old
UrsaMajor UrsaMajor is offline
Golden Bear
 
Posts: 6,329
Join Date: Jul 2008
sounds like - 12-13-2012, 04:14 PM

this is an offense that demands a QB that can make very quick reads and be accurate on the short out, since even a slightly poorly thrown ball prevents the receiver from gaining much YAC.
Reply With Quote
  (#23) Old
slider643 slider643 is offline
Real Bear
 
slider643's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,253
Join Date: Jun 2010
12-13-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berk18 View Post
Grantland and smartfootball.com are awesome resources. Smart Football has several definitive pieces on the Mike Leach coaching tree that are great reads as well. I think the author has mentioned that he went to a QB camp run by Leach and Mumme at Kentucky as a prep QB, so he has a ton of stuff relevant to us.
Here's another good site with a lot of LaTech/Dykes specific pieces:

http://brophyfootball.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  (#24) Old
berk18 berk18 is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 1,190
Join Date: Jul 2008
12-13-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider643 View Post
Here's another good site with a lot of LaTech/Dykes specific pieces:

http://brophyfootball.blogspot.com/
Good stuff. I didn't realize they had so much about LaTech.
Reply With Quote
  (#25) Old
berk18 berk18 is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 1,190
Join Date: Jul 2008
12-13-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsaMajor View Post
this is an offense that demands a QB that can make very quick reads and be accurate on the short out, since even a slightly poorly thrown ball prevents the receiver from gaining much YAC.
Definitely, precision is really key. Because there are 4-wide, a lot of routes will run off the outside coverage with a deep route and then attack the flat/out. Similar read skills are needed on deep passes, where both QB's and WR's have to make quick reads and run/throw to wherever the defense isn't.
Reply With Quote
  (#26) Old
SonOfCalVa SonOfCalVa is offline
Loyal Bear
 
SonOfCalVa's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,251
Join Date: Sep 2011
12-13-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berk18 View Post
Thanks, everyone. Also, let me know what topics you guys are interested in, and I'll try and find ways to get answers. I want to do some generic stuff about passing concepts, the different plays that he runs out of specific formations, etc. but I'm also going to try and get some 2008 UA film to look specifically at how Dykes used Gronkowski.
Thanks for the effort you put into this. It's a terrific illustration of what was just words. Great job, berk. Much appreciated.

It will be interesting to see how the TE was used since Rodgers is a major talent. That Dykes keeps it simple and runs intense practices wherein the offense memorizes what to do through repetition seems to have worked. Cal does have talent at the skill positions. A simple scheme with options. If someone on the defense loses a step or is out of position, there will be many opportunities for big YAC.
Reply With Quote
  (#27) Old
berk18 berk18 is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 1,190
Join Date: Jul 2008
12-13-2012, 05:10 PM

Does anyone have the 2008 Cal vs. UA game? No one's really seeding it right now and it'll take me like a week to download it.
Reply With Quote
  (#28) Old
Golden boy Golden boy is offline
New Bear
 
Posts: 59
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oakland
12-13-2012, 05:15 PM

This is what makes me exited for next year.
Reply With Quote
  (#29) Old
slider643 slider643 is offline
Real Bear
 
slider643's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,253
Join Date: Jun 2010
12-13-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berk18 View Post
Does anyone have the 2008 Cal vs. UA game? No one's really seeding it right now and it'll take me like a week to download it.
I'm not sure that will be a good reference point. I'm pretty sure Stoops put a lot of restrictions on the offense. For instance, they ran a lot of plays under center with a two backs and a TE, not exactly a spread concept. It may be good see how Dykes adapted and improvised, but it is not a good example of his offense. Also, from what I understand, Tony Franklin will call the offense as he did at LaTech. You might want to check out WatchESPN and look at the LaTech games from this season.
Reply With Quote
  (#30) Old
berk18 berk18 is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 1,190
Join Date: Jul 2008
12-13-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider643 View Post
I'm not sure that will be a good reference point. I'm pretty sure Stoops put a lot of restrictions on the offense. For instance, they ran a lot of plays under center with a two backs and a TE, not exactly a spread concept. It may be good see how Dykes adapted and improvised, but it is not a good example of his offense. Also, from what I understand, Tony Franklin will call the offense as he did at LaTech. You might want to check out WatchESPN and look at the LaTech games from this season.
I really just want to see the design of the plays for Gronkowski's six receptions. Dykes specifically mentioned his use of Gronkowski in his press-conference and he's going to have to use TE's this year, so the play-designs should be instructive in a way the LaTech games aren't.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Ad Management by RedTyger