Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page Breakdown of Dykes' Offense
Notices

(#31) Old
Real Bear

12-13-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berk18 View Post
I really just want to see the design of the plays for Gronkowski's six receptions. Dykes specifically mentioned his use of Gronkowski in his press-conference and he's going to have to use TE's this year, so the play-designs should be instructive in a way the LaTech games aren't.
In that case, they may be helpful and I was wrong. Carry on.
  (#32) Old
Real Bear

12-13-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berk18 View Post
Thanks, everyone. Also, let me know what topics you guys are interested in, and I'll try and find ways to get answers. I want to do some generic stuff about passing concepts, the different plays that he runs out of specific formations, etc. but I'm also going to try and get some 2008 UA film to look specifically at how Dykes used Gronkowski.
Well done. Thanks. Something I have seen them do some is trips, with their best receiver ( Patton ) isolated on the other side of the field. That might be a good breakdown. Seems like they had sone success with that against A&M - maybe just before half or early third ? Thanks again.
  (#33) Old
Active Bear

12-14-2012, 07:33 AM

Here is LA Tech vs Utah State, complete game for everyone's review.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GOgH1MH_xs
  (#34) Old
Real Bear

12-14-2012, 07:37 AM

Here's something I saw last night that's pretty relevant to how Dykes will probably practice.

http://brophyfootball.blogspot.com/

Third entry down marked Dec 11 is titled "Mike Leach Passing Fundamentals."

The entire videos in interesting. Of particular interest is the "Routes on Air" portion at around the 15:10 mark. I've only ever seen Air Raid lineage coaches use this, but it seems highly efficient.

I hope they have open practices, I would love to see how the coaching staff installs the offense.
  (#35) Old
Loyal Bear

I just hope we never see again - 12-14-2012, 07:39 AM

the 'zone read' run up the middle against 8 in the box...a Tedford staple. The play obviously was not a 'read' but rather it was part of his 'must...run...up...the...middle...x...number...of...times... per...game...' package, to stay 'multiple'.
It will be a breath of fresh air to have an offense run plays that take advantage of what the defense, or more precisely according to these articles, what one key defender, gives us.
  (#36) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-14-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82gradDLSdad View Post
the 'zone read' run up the middle against 8 in the box...a Tedford staple. The play obviously was not a 'read' but rather it was part of his 'must...run...up...the...middle...x...number...of...times... per...game...' package, to stay 'multiple'.
It will be a breath of fresh air to have an offense run plays that take advantage of what the defense, or more precisely according to these articles, what one key defender, gives us.
Exactly, the run up the middle against 8 in the box for 1 yard to set up.....third and long and a punt?

The interview with Franklin on the front page has me PUMPED!
  (#37) Old
Loyal Bear

The run up the middle against 8 in the box - 12-14-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumnus View Post
Exactly, the run up the middle against 8 in the box for 1 yard to set up.....third and long and a punt?

The interview with Franklin on the front page has me PUMPED!
always reminded me of my freshman football team's staple: the dive play (no lead blocker) between me (left tackle) and our left guard. Most times I had a defender over me, the guard had a defender over him, and a linebacker was standing behind them in the hole. I remember thinking, "This play has no chance", every time we ran it. And it didn't. I never understood why we ran the play until Tedford made it clear: we were staying multiple.
  (#38) Old
Golden Bear

12-14-2012, 08:35 AM

In that respect, it sounds a bit like Mouse Davis's old Run and Shoot.

Thanks for great work, b18.
  (#39) Old
Active Bear

12-14-2012, 09:04 PM

Nice breakdown!

One thing to note is that regardless of whether this is a run or pass, the OL is run blocking and putting it on the DL for the majority of the game. Given their fast tempo and number of offensive plays, this could easily wear down an opposing DL over time. It's not surprising then, that LT was able to rally late against Texas A&M and Utah State.

This is very different in the trenches than Mumme/Leach's Air Raid, which is mostly pass blocking.
  (#40) Old
New Bear

12-15-2012, 09:55 AM

Just when I had written off this board as a bunch of gossipy hairdressers, you go and write this. Excellent post- you are now instantly the best poster on this site. If you keep posting these, I'll keep coming back.
  (#41) Old
Loyal Bear

12-24-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsaMajor View Post
this is an offense that demands a QB that can make very quick reads and be accurate on the short out, since even a slightly poorly thrown ball prevents the receiver from gaining much YAC.
Which is probably why we had to wait until next year so that he scheme will all come together.
  (#42) Old
Loyal Bear

12-24-2012, 04:28 PM

It will be quite a breath of fresh air to see a Cal team using these modern concepts. I hope JT spends next season in the luxury boxes getting an education
before he considers another HC job.