Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Women's Basketball
Reload this Page at northwestern game
Notices

(#46) Old
Golden Bear

12-17-2012, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the outlook. Lends more perspective, but sounds pretty much like it played out with the hot/cold, etc.
  (#47) Old
Golden Bear

12-17-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvitbear View Post
Then Boyd missed a layup and then she followed that with a foul for her 5th. We really needed her. We didn't need a foul.
Just returned home and happy they won! Boyd missing layups is becoming a habit. I believe against GT she blew 2 and against EWash she blew another gimme! I sat near Boyd's mom..and when she missed those ..she cringed. Boyd when she does something silly she tends to try to make up for it but trying extra hard. Not always the smartest thing to do..especially with 4 fouls.

Last edited by OBear073akaSMFan; 12-17-2012 at 03:08 PM.
  (#48) Old
Real Bear

12-17-2012, 02:56 PM

Okay. I"m a a full keyboard now and totally ashamed by my smartphone key tapping skills - but I was trying to watch the game as well!

So, great crowd. It made for a fun environment.
Team started each half cold.
Afure played the whole game except when she had to leave with a cut lip. She barely took a shot until late in the second half (it seemed). She was calmer with the ball, but This was Boyd's show - for good and bad. She was an intense player and every thing that didn't go her way showed on her face and her stature. Against a faster team, those let downs are going to be costly. Northwestern was not fast, so Boyd had time to reset. She missed her first free throws but then started making them
Northwestern was WAY TALL. After the game, Lyles said the Northwestern team made her feel smaller than usual. SID guy said Northwestern's smallest player was 5'10.It took a long time for Brandon and Caldwell to get the ball and to find a way to the basket. Diamant for them was a tank. Cal did not use their press very much. But it came back near the end of the game with success.
Gray was excellent in her limited minutes. Lyles played a lot -because of others' fout trouble, no Pierre and because Clarendon was not scoring. Lyles seemd to bring a calming effect to Cal to allow the team to play more within itself. Hartman had some key moments paired with Gray.
The officiating was real tight - 3 fouls called on Cal in the first 90 seconds. One time, Clarendon got run into a pick and bounced off and got called for a foul. Caldwell had four fouls but didn't sit out too long and played, I think, the last 8 minutes or so with those four fouls. I'm not saying it was poor officiating - just tight. The situation with Clarendon with 25 seconds to go was interesting. I clearly saw Northwestern foul her, the whistle blew, but Clarendon was wrestling the ball and threw an elbow up and hit the Northwestern player who went down. But, apparently, the referee discussion was over when the whistle blew and nothing to do with the fouls and they reviewed the monitor a long time. Clarendon, it seemed, thought she was going to get called for her fifth foul and Gottlieb was concerned until she talked to the Ref and then turned to the team with a positive hand gesture. So, it worked out, but could have been disastrous.
Clarendon generally looks like she is having fun out there - no matter what - she has a smile on her face. And she keeps on playing - because even though she was not having a good game, when Boyd fouled out, Clarendon stepped up and sealed the win. And she's always moving. Boyd, as I said, does not look like she's having fun. She does sometimes look like she thinks she's playing by herself. But, when Lyles came in, it seemed like Boyd then started distributing the ball more - but you can always tell when Boyd gets a rebound whether she's going to go all the way to the hoop, no matter what.
Brandon used to have the brightest smile when she was a freshman. Now she's working out there. She also had leggings on under her shorts - so her legs were fully covered. I guess this is allowed because I doubt this is the first time she's worn those leggings.
Cal played pretty good defense much of the game. Rozer was the only quick guard for them and she had some good drives to the basket through the Cal defense. So, that wasn't too good - but many Bears were playing with 3 fouls most of the second half.
Tierra Rogers made the trip and was real sweet to talk to. Pierre was touched that people here asked how she was. General feeling of several was that the team missed Pierre on the court today.
So, all wins are good wins. This was a tough road win in a hostile-ish environment against a tall muscular team.
Go Bears.
  (#49) Old
Golden Bear

12-17-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbears View Post
Okay. I"m a a full keyboard now and totally ashamed by my smartphone key tapping skills - but I was trying to watch the game as well!

So, great crowd. It made for a fun environment.
Team started each half cold.
Afure played the whole game except when she had to leave with a cut lip. She barely took a shot until late in the second half (it seemed). She was calmer with the ball, but This was Boyd's show - for good and bad. She was an intense player and every thing that didn't go her way showed on her face and her stature. Against a faster team, those let downs are going to be costly. Northwestern was not fast, so Boyd had time to reset. She missed her first free throws but then started making them
Northwestern was WAY TALL. After the game, Lyles said the Northwestern team made her feel smaller than usual. SID guy said Northwestern's smallest player was 5'10.It took a long time for Brandon and Caldwell to get the ball and to find a way to the basket. Diamant for them was a tank. Cal did not use their press very much. But it came back near the end of the game with success.
Gray was excellent in her limited minutes. Lyles played a lot -because of others' fout trouble, no Pierre and because Clarendon was not scoring. Lyles seemd to bring a calming effect to Cal to allow the team to play more within itself. Hartman had some key moments paired with Gray.
The officiating was real tight - 3 fouls called on Cal in the first 90 seconds. One time, Clarendon got run into a pick and bounced off and got called for a foul. Caldwell had four fouls but didn't sit out too long and played, I think, the last 8 minutes or so with those four fouls. I'm not saying it was poor officiating - just tight. The situation with Clarendon with 25 seconds to go was interesting. I clearly saw Northwestern foul her, the whistle blew, but Clarendon was wrestling the ball and threw an elbow up and hit the Northwestern player who went down. But, apparently, the referee discussion was over when the whistle blew and nothing to do with the fouls and they reviewed the monitor a long time. Clarendon, it seemed, thought she was going to get called for her fifth foul and Gottlieb was concerned until she talked to the Ref and then turned to the team with a positive hand gesture. So, it worked out, but could have been disastrous.
Clarendon generally looks like she is having fun out there - no matter what - she has a smile on her face. And she keeps on playing - because even though she was not having a good game, when Boyd fouled out, Clarendon stepped up and sealed the win. And she's always moving. Boyd, as I said, does not look like she's having fun. She does sometimes look like she thinks she's playing by herself. But, when Lyles came in, it seemed like Boyd then started distributing the ball more - but you can always tell when Boyd gets a rebound whether she's going to go all the way to the hoop, no matter what.
Brandon used to have the brightest smile when she was a freshman. Now she's working out there. She also had leggings on under her shorts - so her legs were fully covered. I guess this is allowed because I doubt this is the first time she's worn those leggings.
Cal played pretty good defense much of the game. Rozer was the only quick guard for them and she had some good drives to the basket through the Cal defense. So, that wasn't too good - but many Bears were playing with 3 fouls most of the second half.
Tierra Rogers made the trip and was real sweet to talk to. Pierre was touched that people here asked how she was. General feeling of several was that the team missed Pierre on the court today.
So, all wins are good wins. This was a tough road win in a hostile-ish environment against a tall muscular team.
Go Bears.
So what is Northwestern and the Evanston environment like this time of year. I have only been back there in the summer and early fall and it is beautiful. Have a soccer playing granddaughter that is considering NW among others.
  (#50) Old
Loyal Bear

Or refs usually let us kill each other - 12-17-2012, 04:07 PM

Might not one and one till 4 minutes left in the half.

The first thing I noticed was the number of fouls. Not a good thing when one of your players was out.

Gray and Boys lead the team in fouls. About double the rest of the other players. So a tight game was not in their best interest.

Did Northwestern play zone.

I noticed that Northwestern was not shooting a good per centage but were making it up in free throws. Was the officiating tight or unfair. You'd think the Big 10 would let them play. I guess we will see them next year at our place.

Since we couldn't shoot from the outside, were in foul trouble with our big people, it was a tough match. Afure shot well at the beginning of the year but lately has been in a slump.

Northwestern was big but we outrebounded them be 8.

By the way, I love Chicago. Spend a lot of time in North Chicago just above Lincoln Park. Hope to get to Evanston one of these days. A neighbor down the street went there several years ago on a music scholarship.
  (#51) Old
Real Bear

12-17-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder71 View Post
Why did Elisa Pierre not play?
The game notes say "Eliza Pierre * Played in 29 consecutive games for California before missing Monday's matchup due to illness."

Let's wish her a speedy recovery!
  (#52) Old
Real Bear

12-18-2012, 08:15 AM

I'm getting concerned. Northwestern isn't a great team. They are in the middle of a big losing steak and had just gotten absolutely steamrolled at home by Bowling Green. I'm glad we won, but we have reason to be worried.

I have faith in Coach Gottlieb. I hope she can right the ship soon. We have a big test against #19 Kansas at home. We really need to win this game to cement our status as a legitimate threat to stanfurd in the Pac 12.
  (#53) Old
Loyal Bear

Remember, Northwestern had 3 starters out during the losing streak - 12-18-2012, 09:19 AM

and got some back for this game. Judge them in a few weeks. They won't be a great team but they are not as bad as those three losses would indicate.
  (#54) Old
Active Bear

12-20-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbears View Post
Sorry for typos. not good with phone
I assumed it was either that or you were a Russian. LOL
  (#55) Old
Active Bear

12-20-2012, 08:03 PM

I think one of the problems with the team might be related to a lack of timely ball movement. Pierre doesn't score much but she really helps with ball movement.