Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page Cal college QB vs. USC NFL QB
Notices

(#16) Old
Real Bear

12-19-2012, 10:44 AM

Maybe if I phrase it another way, it will make more sense. Is Cal likely to get a QB who performs well in COLLEGE before USC is likely to get a QB to perform well in the NFL? Assuming Barkley turns out to be yet another dud at the pro level, I like our chances with Kline beginning with next season.
  (#17) Old
Real Bear

12-19-2012, 02:15 PM

FWIW, I think it's much easier being a good QB at U$C is easier than it is at Cal. I think this speaks highly of the U$C system.

I know this is almost sacrilegious, but I find it really hard to dislike Matt Barkley despite his playing for my 2nd most hated team. (UW, as of last year, is #1.

The kid is just so....earnest! And I think he does fine in the NFL.
  (#18) Old
Loyal Bear

12-19-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedhead03 View Post
Maybe if I phrase it another way, it will make more sense. Is Cal likely to get a QB who performs well in COLLEGE before USC is likely to get a QB to perform well in the NFL? Assuming Barkley turns out to be yet another dud at the pro level, I like our chances with Kline beginning with next season.

I think Barkley will do good in NFL and Cal will get a QB who performs well in College (Dykes' system is College QB-friendly).

However, Barkley may not start right away and may have to wait a year or two while Cal's QB will be gunslinging from Game One. Not a fair comparison in terms of Timescale.

Because of the timescale used, yes, Cal will produce a good College QB before Barkley becomes an NFL-starter, but Barkley will become good later on in his Pro career.

Like I said before -- it all should even out in the end.
  (#19) Old
Loyal Bear

12-19-2012, 03:50 PM

Barkley will suck at the next level. He's Mark Sanchez with less athleticism.
  (#20) Old
Loyal Bear

12-20-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaasBear04 View Post

Then don't draft him in your Fantasy Football League. You'll look like a genius.
  (#21) Old
Real Bear

12-20-2012, 11:58 AM

I seriously doubt ANYBODY would draft Barkley with the intent of him being their starter next year on their fantasy team.
  (#22) Old
Loyal Bear

12-20-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I seriously doubt ANYBODY would draft Barkley with the intent of him being their starter next year on their fantasy team.

True....but check out RGIII this year as rookie starting QB. He's ballin' for anybody who picked him up in their Fantasy League because Washington made him their starter.

Barkley as a KC Chief? Who knows. They might throw him out there to swim with the sharks immediately just out of desperation.

Raiders have been known to be pretty brash. Maybe they want to make up for RoboQB (Todd Marinovich) by drafting another USC QB in Barkley and start him after the first month. LOL.

But hey, I'm talking long term here, not next year specifically. I still feel that Barkley does have the skills to become a good NFL QB one day. I don't know when, but it will come one day.

Last edited by Our Domicile; 12-20-2012 at 12:58 PM.
  (#23) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-20-2012, 12:54 PM

Jets will draft him
  (#24) Old
no bear

12-20-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Seeing Sanchez burnout in NY made me think what's more likely to happen, Cal delivers a good college QB or USC delivers a good NFL QB? I'm biased, but I'm thinking it's got to be Cal, right? The current USC NFL QBs are horrible, and I doubt Barkley pans out. That should give us a couple of years to turn things around on our end.
USC has sent one more QB to the NFL.

Hey guys!!! How many Cal QB's have played in the Rose Bowl????

USC QB that have played in the NFL

1) Mark Sanchez
2) Carson Palmer
3) Matt Leinart
4) Sean Salisbury
5) Rodney Peete
6) Pat Haden
7) Matt Cassel
8) Bill Nelsen
9) Pete Beathard
10) Vince Evans,
11) Paul McDonald
12) Todd Marinovich
13) Rob Johnson
14) John David Booty.

Cal QB that have played in the NFL

1) Bob Celeri
2) Paul Larson
3) Craig Morton
4) Joe Kapp
5) Steve Bartkowski
6) Rich Campbell
7) Gale Gilbert
8) Troy Taylor
9) Perry Klein
10) Dave Barr
11) Pat Barnes
12) Kyle Boller
13) Aaron Rodgers
  (#25) Old
no bear

12-20-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaasBear04 View Post
He's smarter then Sanchez. Try Drew Brees with less athleticism.

Dork!!!!
  (#26) Old
no bear

12-20-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBearsBert View Post
FWIW, I think it's much easier being a good QB at U$C is easier than it is at Cal. I think this speaks highly of the U$C system.

I know this is almost sacrilegious, but I find it really hard to dislike Matt Barkley despite his playing for my 2nd most hated team. (UW, as of last year, is #1.

The kid is just so....earnest! And I think he does fine in the NFL.
Offensive linemen can make a QB's life allot easier. Ask Matt Barkley about losing Matt Kalil. I tried looking for a list of just O-Linemen from both Cal and USC that have played in the NFL and could not find any that would do the topic justice.

Total USC players that have played in the NFL: 472
NFL Hall of fame: 11
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9...offensive-unit

Total Cal players that have played in the NFL: 227
NFL hall of fame: 1 (Les Richter)
http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-foo..._the_pros.html
  (#27) Old
Real Bear

12-20-2012, 02:57 PM

The only major stat Barkley was top-10 in this year was TD passes. 20th in yards, 39th in completion %, 16th in yards/attempt, 4th most INT's thrown (vs. 39th in passes attempted), and 11th in QB rating. There are several college QB's right now who will be better pros then Barkley, and there are MANY current pros who were better in college. He's really good at dinking-and-dunking and making excuses, with nothing special about the rest of his game. He makes bad decisions, and threw for less than 200 yards on us because we "played a lot of cover-2." How Steve Williams (a generous 5'10" with no real leaping ability) intercepts you when you're throwing a fade to Robert Woods (6'1"), I will never understand. Good luck, kid.

Last edited by berk18; 12-20-2012 at 03:08 PM.
  (#28) Old
no bear

12-20-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berk18 View Post
The only major stat Barkley was top-10 in this year was TD passes. 20th in yards, 39th in completion %, 16th in yards/attempt, 4th most INT's thrown (vs. 39th in passes attempted), and 11th in QB rating. There are several college QB's right now who will be better pros then Barkley, and there are MANY current pros who were better in college. He's really good at dinking-and-dunking and making excuses, with nothing special about the rest of his game. He makes bad decisions, and threw for less than 200 yards on us because we "played a lot of cover-2." How Steve Williams (a generous 5'10" with no real leaping ability) intercepts you when you're throwing a fade to Marquise Lee, I will never understand. Good luck, kid.
Rodger was a fluke. Since Rodgers, Cal has put one crappy QB on the field after another. Your not in our league when it come to producing QB's over the 10 years. Stop taking that LSD.
  (#29) Old
Loyal Bear

12-20-2012, 03:19 PM

Frankly I'd take the stance that Cal will have a QB that does well in college before USC has one that does well in the pros because I firmly beleive that Zach Kline is better than any QB that USC has on its roster save for Barkley.

Now as for Barkley I really don't think he's going to be successful and it goes back to my original theory as to why the best QBs tend to come from programs that are considered decent/middle of the road.

Qbs at top schools are surround with talent so they don't have to rely and develop their own skills as much as QBs who are at schools where the talent alone can't win most of the games.

So when those USC qbs are thrust into dire situations with massive adversity they fail because they've rarely, if ever, been in a position where they were massively outgunned.

Barkley did suffer from less than stellar oline play but he also had quite possibly the best two receivers that USC has had on the field at the same time in Marquise Lee and Robert Woods.

Look at the top QBs in the NFL
Aaron Rodgers - Cal
Eli Manning - Ole Miss
Peyton Manning - Tennessee
Rothlisberger - Ohio U.
Luck - Stanford
RG III - Baylor
Matt Ryan - BC
Tom Brady - Michigan

Only Peyton and Brady are from a traditional powerhouse schools and Brady was completely off the radar.

If we take the top ten winningest college schools
USC
Notre Dame
Michigan
Oklahoma
Ohio St.
Texas
Alabama
Nebraska
Tennesse
FSU/Penn St.

only Tenn and Mich have top QBS in the NFL.

USC hasn't ever had a top QB in the NFL
Notre Dame had Joe Montana and Theismann
Michigan has had Brady
Oklahoma, Ohio St., Texas, Nebraska, FSU, Penn St. haven't had a top notch QB
Alabama hasn't had a top QB since Kenny Stabler
  (#30) Old
no bear

12-20-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelAglietti View Post
Frankly I'd take the stance that Cal will have a QB that does well in college before USC has one that does well in the pros because I firmly beleive that Zach Kline is better than any QB that USC has on its roster save for Barkley.

Now as for Barkley I really don't think he's going to be successful and it goes back to my original theory as to why the best QBs tend to come from programs that are considered decent/middle of the road.

Qbs at top schools are surround with talent so they don't have to rely and develop their own skills as much as QBs who are at schools where the talent alone can't win most of the games.

So when those USC qbs are thrust into dire situations with massive adversity they fail because they've rarely, if ever, been in a position where they were massively outgunned.

Barkley did suffer from less than stellar oline play but he also had quite possibly the best two receivers that USC has had on the field at the same time in Marquise Lee and Robert Woods.

Look at the top QBs in the NFL
Aaron Rodgers - Cal
Eli Manning - Ole Miss
Peyton Manning - Tennessee
Rothlisberger - Ohio U.
Luck - Stanford
RG III - Baylor
Matt Ryan - BC
Tom Brady - Michigan

Only Peyton and Brady are from a traditional powerhouse schools and Brady was completely off the radar.

If we take the top ten winningest college schools
USC
Notre Dame
Michigan
Oklahoma
Ohio St.
Texas
Alabama
Nebraska
Tennesse
FSU/Penn St.

only Tenn and Mich have top QBS in the NFL.

USC hasn't ever had a top QB in the NFL
Notre Dame had Joe Montana and Theismann
Michigan has had Brady
Oklahoma, Ohio St., Texas, Nebraska, FSU, Penn St. haven't had a top notch QB
Alabama hasn't had a top QB since Kenny Stabler
"Zach Kline is better than any QB that USC has on its roster save for Barkley"

Really??? based on what???