Chat Room [1]
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page Cal is the perfect fit for Rooks
Notices

(#16) Old
Loyal Bear

12-22-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
Well, please expound for me please why UofA should have a HUGE recruiting advantage. I mean, Arizona sucks. Arid, Hot F'ing desert! How do they even have enough water to survive there? And what industry or anything else is there? Why would anyone want to go to school there? Because Lute Olson had success in the past? They have easier academics? It's a party in the desert, not unlike SDSU, but without the ocean and all that is good in California? (not to mention you can take the trolley straight from your dorm to Tijuana, get hammered, and ride back home?)

Arizona, I'm parched! - last place I'd want to live. (Though, I will say the desert is nice after the one time per decade rains cause lots of flowering action.)
Way more winning basketball tradition. Warm weather. Great facilities. Way more winning basketball tradition. Great fan support. Easy classes. Girls.

Miller got lucky when he came in, because Lute had left things in pretty bad shape but Floyd was imploding at USC and Miller was able to put a class together quickly. Otherwise they'd have really fallen off the map for a bit I think.
  (#17) Old
Loyal Bear

12-22-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesaxe View Post
Way more winning basketball tradition. Warm weather. Great facilities. Way more winning basketball tradition. Great fan support. Easy classes. Girls.

Miller got lucky when he came in, because Lute had left things in pretty bad shape but Floyd was imploding at USC and Miller was able to put a class together quickly. Otherwise they'd have really fallen off the map for a bit I think.

bluesaxe, all the "pluses" you mention are true

then your college bb playing days are finished

only 1 player (dw) during sm's 3 year run (missing the ncaa 2 times) has made it to the nba

the other 20 guys have a below average low value degreee (if they graduate, az leads the pac 12 in transfers during the last 3 years) and a poor academically work ethic...what then do you think happens to them in the real world?

i live in a very wealthy neighborhood in north scottsdale...other than the pro athletes, there are very few az grads (despite our proximity to tuscon), most are from the northwesterns, stanfords, cal, ivy leagues and top oveerseas colleges (london & sydney), etc. along with believe it or not asu which promotes entrepenuership

if kameron rooks is as talented as derrick williams, then az is indeed a great choice

the rise is actually closer to the norm of an az (which is a glorified jc with a 99% acceptance rate) education

kameron rooks' dad sean played in the nba and is currently with the phx sun developmental team...he is aware of the probabilities of playing in the league better than anyone on this board

one can become a multi millionaire via an outstanding college education but athletic talents can be ended in a second with a serious injury or a coach that will not feature a player's skill set...but an outstandiing college education can NEVER be taken from somebody...this point is often lost on recruits and their families from lower socioeconomic backgrounds that do not fully comprehend the value of an education along with the ability to nurture their own future children's developing academic opportuntites...and then the cycle repeats itself

a mind is a terrible thing to waste

Last edited by Shocky1; 12-22-2012 at 09:51 PM.
  (#18) Old
Golden Bear

12-22-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocky1 View Post
bluesaxe, all the "pluses" you mention are true

then your college bb playing days are finished

only 1 player (dw) during sm's 3 year run (missing the ncaa 2 times) has made it to the nba

the other 20 guys have a below average low value degreee (if they graduate, az leads the pac 12 in transfers during the last 3 years) and a poor academically work ethic

i live in a very wealthy neighborhood in north scottsdale...other than the pro athletes, there are very few az grads (despite our proximity to tuscon), most are from the northwesterns, stanfords, cal, ivy leagues and top oveerseas colleges (london & sydney), etc. along with believe it or not asu which promotes entrepenuership

if kameron rooks is as talented as derrick williams, then az is indeed a great choice

the rise is actually closer to the norm of an az (which is a glorified jc with a 99% acceptance rate) education

kameron rooks' dad sean played in the nba and is currently with the phx sun developmental team...he is aware of the probabilities of playing in the league better than anyone on this board

one can become a multi millionaire via an outstanding college education but athletic talents can be ended in a second with a serious injury or a coach that will not feature a player's skill set...but an outstandiing college education can NEVER be taken from somebody...this point is often lost on recruits from lower socioeconomic backgrounds that do not fully comprehend the value of an education along with the ability to nurture their own future children's developing academic opportuntites...and then the cycle repeats itself

a mind is a terrible thing to waste
shocky, you might be too close to see it, but ASU only requires a pulse for admission. It has a worse party reputation than Chico, San Diego, and Colorado ever had---and that is not meant in a good way, but in a down and dirty fashion. I know kids of families from SoCal who have gone there and left because it is such a sewer. Enlarged JC of the old days.