Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page Ricky
Notices

(#1) Old
Real Bear

Ricky - 12-18-2012, 08:41 PM

Ricky looks great out there. Great hands , super hustle, fantastic passing, very active defense. We are going to love him.

Not to speak of Wallace.
  (#2) Old
Active Bear

12-18-2012, 08:59 PM

Kreklow and Wallace are awesome, but it seemed to me that Kreklow was limping somewhat as if his foot were still bothering him. I'm sure hoping the doctor's are right in saying that it won't be damaged if he plays.
  (#3) Old
Loyal Bear

12-18-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam67 View Post
Kreklow and Wallace are awesome, but it seemed to me that Kreklow was limping somewhat as if his foot were still bothering him. I'm sure hoping the doctor's are right in saying that it won't be damaged if he plays.
Is playing through pain ever a good idea? Seems to me that pain is the body's signal to stop doing what is causing the pain.
  (#4) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-18-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam67 View Post
foot clearly bothering him, especially after a couple of impacts like when he jumped up high to get to an off-target kravish pass that ended up in the seats.
  (#5) Old
Real Bear

12-18-2012, 09:26 PM

Yeah, he wasz definitely limping at the end of the game
  (#6) Old
Golden Bear

Location: Black roof country no gold pavements tired starlings
12-18-2012, 09:44 PM

Here is a sacrilegious reflection after all the love Ricky gets on this board: Wallace seems like he has more upside to me than Ricky. I like both players, however.
  (#7) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-18-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearister View Post
Here is a sacrilegious reflection after all the love Ricky gets on this board: Wallace seems like he has more upside to me than Ricky. I like both players, however.
Definitely, but especially with Kreklow's injury. Still, I'd much rather have both and an 8 man rotation.
  (#8) Old
Loyal Bear

12-18-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south bender View Post
Is playing through pain ever a good idea? Seems to me that pain is the body's signal to stop doing what is causing the pain.
This is a serious question, and not intended as disrespectful, but have you ever played sports at the high school level or above? Because playing with or through pain is a fact of life at some point or other in every athlete's career. The idea is to not be stupid about it.

The SFGate article has some good information about the nature of his problem, which doesn't sound too bad actually.
  (#9) Old
Loyal Bear

12-18-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesaxe View Post
This is a serious question, and not intended as disrespectful, but have you ever played sports at the high school level or above? Because playing with or through pain is a fact of life at some point or other in every athlete's career. The idea is to not be stupid about it.

The SFGate article has some good information about the nature of his problem, which doesn't sound too bad actually.
The answer is yes.
  (#10) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-18-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
definitely agree. wallace seems like someone to watch; several intriguing flashes each game. ricky's good but seems closer to his ceiling. (and also has less years in which to develop)

ps thanks to the PA announcer I learned -- duh -- I was pronouncing kreklow wrong
  (#11) Old
Real Bear

12-19-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearyWhite View Post
definitely agree. wallace seems like someone to watch; several intriguing flashes each game. ricky's good but seems closer to his ceiling. (and also has less years in which to develop)

ps thanks to the PA announcer I learned -- duh -- I was pronouncing kreklow wrong
I really like Wallace's game, but from the little I've seen so far this year, I think Ricky has the potential to be the inspirational leader of the team. He has a little Jorge in him, a bit of grit and determination, and with this team, I think that is very important. Unfortunately, I think the injury took a little of that away last night, but I think just seeing him play through pain can be inspiring. Hopefully, he gets to the point where he can be himself on the court, because I think the team will need what he has to offer.

(#12) Old
Golden Bear

Ricky - 12-19-2012, 10:00 AM

Ricky came up in the post game interview with Thurman (on the radio)

Thurman said he's never seen a player go all out like Ricky before. The interviewer said, "that's quite a statement since you played with Jorge"

Thurman responded, "I know, but I stand by my statement"

He also said that Ricky can "shoot the lights out"

Not sure how to take that comment, but Thurman sees him in practice every day, and he certainly has the green light from Monty to shoot from range. It would be VERY good if we can put a 3rd shooter on the court at the same time when teams zone us (or when we need a 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUMFSG2 View Post
I really like Wallace's game, but from the little I've seen so far this year, I think Ricky has the potential to be the inspirational leader of the team. He has a little Jorge in him, a bit of grit and determination, and with this team, I think that is very important. Unfortunately, I think the injury took a little of that away last night, but I think just seeing him play through pain can be inspiring. Hopefully, he gets to the point where he can be himself on the court, because I think the team will need what he has to offer.

I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez
  (#13) Old
Golden Bear

12-19-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearyWhite View Post

You are sooooooo upset about that RSF thing aren't you!
  (#14) Old
Golden Bear

Location: Black roof country no gold pavements tired starlings
12-19-2012, 11:52 AM

Ricky's dad is #20 at the left in the back row.

(#15) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-19-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Ricky's dad is #20 at the left in the back row.

Cool. Cornbread Maxwell #31. Great player.