Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page Dykes on OOC scheduling
Notices

(#1) Old
Golden Bear

Dykes on OOC scheduling - 12-19-2012, 08:09 PM

Dykes said he prefers a nonconference schedule that allows the team to build momentum toward the Pac-12 slate. Asked about the challenging 2013 schedule, with Big Ten foes Northwestern and Ohio State in Weeks 1 and 3, he said, "I couldn't be in favor of that."

http://www.insidebayarea.com/cal-bea...open-practices

Anyone know what this means in terms of how we'll be scheduling going forward? Does he favor a complete cupcake approach, 1 mediocre opponent and the rest cupcakes, something else? He wasn't at LT long enough to get a sense for it, and their ability to pick opponents is probably a little different than ours. They did play ATM this year but they also played in Dykes' first year which makes me think that the series was scheduled before he got to LT (plus they may have needed the money).
  (#2) Old
Loyal Bear

12-19-2012, 08:11 PM

Sounds like we will have a boring OOC schedule if he has anything to do with. I'm sure Tedford wishes he could have scheduled 3 cupcakes this year as well.

First statement to press I have not liked by Sonny.
  (#3) Old
Loyal Bear

12-19-2012, 08:19 PM

Sounds like a coach that wants to bank 3 wins each season.

Sounds like a crappy approach for the fans who have to pay to watch games.
  (#4) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-19-2012, 08:24 PM

Hmm how does a home and home vs Texas sound Mr Dykes?! Hope he realizes that the Rose Bowl don't care about OOC. In fact, now that it's a 'contract' bowl, it get's to do whatever it pleases when it chooses a p12 team, who more likely than not will be a non P12 champion. If Cal finishes 8-1 in conference (and misses the CCG) the Rose Bowl will slobber over us, whether we ate it vs Texas or Ohio State or beat the crap out of Idaho or the Citadel.

Now next year is a little different it being the first year of the system for everyone. I wouldn't like the OOC either so soon, but it was set up when Cal was expected to be top tier. Now when Dykes gets Cal back to the top 1/3 of the conference, it won't be too bad. Like lets get that done for 2015? But not read too much into it until then.
  (#5) Old
Loyal Bear

12-19-2012, 08:37 PM

This is the approach done by all the SEC and tOSU (have you seen their schedule? they start with 4 cupcakes at home).

I'm sure their fans are OK.
  (#6) Old
Loyal Bear

12-19-2012, 08:39 PM

So you all had a great time this season since we boasted the #5 toughest schedule in the nation?
  (#7) Old
Loyal Bear

12-19-2012, 08:41 PM

I understand his point of view on momentum since there's no real preseason in CFB but it does sound like standard football in the South...3 cupcakes and you start conference. It's not a bad strategy but I really think you need to schedule one decent/capable OOC game...in the top 20-40 range, a good min-major or average BCS team.
  (#8) Old
Real Bear

12-19-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson View Post
This is the approach done by all the SEC and tOSU (have you seen their schedule? they start with 4 cupcakes at home).

I'm sure their fans are OK.
Ours would be too, for the most part, despite what is said here.
  (#9) Old
AKA NVLook

12-19-2012, 08:44 PM

You guys are nuts, winning is a good thing and going to bowl games.

He didn't say that one tough out of conference game is a problem but he is rightly saying its not good to play a top 25 team and then a top 5 team out of conference.
  (#10) Old
Loyal Bear

12-19-2012, 08:49 PM

Not to mention that SEC and Big 10 teams play 8 conference games and Pac12 schools play 9.
  (#11) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-19-2012, 08:51 PM

While other schools are in the process of ramping up their scheduling in the future (to impress the voters on the panel that will decide who plays for the national title), Cal will take the opposite approach? I don't think so......

I believe the ABC concept will continue to be the norm.
  (#12) Old
Loyal Bear

12-19-2012, 09:04 PM

you guys are ridiculously oversimplifying this statement. you take away Dykes' saying he's not for a slate that includes Northwestern and Ohio state to mean he wants ALL cupcakes and a boring OOC?

come on guys...way to use reason/logic
  (#13) Old
no bear

12-19-2012, 09:09 PM

I get what Sonny is saying but would a win over a top 20 team give us MORE momentum than three cupcake wins? Think OSU this year...
  (#14) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-19-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson View Post
So you all had a great time this season since we boasted the #5 toughest schedule in the nation?
since we actually went toe to toe with OSU, it's not like replacing them with a WAC team like SJSU would have done much for our record.

We are not the SEC. we don't sell out the BS crap games they pull in $50 per head x 100k for. Cal sells it's 30k season tickets (plus or minus) and not a single extra for a D1AA team. and season ticket holders can barely give them way since there are way better thing to do in September.
  (#15) Old
Loyal Bear

12-19-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Bear View Post
While other schools are in the process of ramping up their scheduling in the future (to impress the voters on the panel that will decide who plays for the national title), Cal will take the opposite approach? I don't think so......

I believe the ABC concept will continue to be the norm.
The SEC and Big 12, since they play only an 8 conference game schedule, have more like ABCC. For example, Alabma's non-conference schedule next year is Virginia Tech (A), Colorado St, (B), Chatanooga (C), and Georgia St. (C).

That said, I don't think anyone is advocating moving off the ABC model -- but next year we have more like A (Ohio St)-C (Portland St)-A (Northwestern).

Would be nice to swap Northwestern for Colorado St or something.