Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page Dykes on OOC scheduling
Notices

(#31) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-20-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxer View Post
Winning fills stadiums.
Sac state was pretty full in 2005 iirc. Sadly.

Yeah, 65,938. Holy fk

Last edited by Phantomfan; 12-20-2012 at 06:53 AM.
  (#32) Old
Loyal Bear

12-20-2012, 06:59 AM

I think it doesn't make much sense for us to maintain the ABC OCC schedule if we continue to persist with the tradition that California schools play each other. With USC, UCLA, plus an A, B, and C team on our schedule, including the Pac12 North with Oregon, Stanfurd and Washington we will always have a top 10 hardest schedule nationally and likely a schedule that will keep us most years out of the national discussion.

Last edited by CALiforniALUM; 12-20-2012 at 07:30 AM.
  (#33) Old
Real Bear

12-20-2012, 07:01 AM

Remember Dykes coahed at the school that is infamous for feasting on four cupcakes per season: Texas Tech. During Dyke's and (Leach's) tenure at Texas Tech, there were quite a few decieving records considering the Big12 as a whole was top heavy with Texas and OU. One season that comes to mind in particular was Crabtree's final year where Texas Tech beat Texas at the end, lost by 40 to Oklahoma, played no one else and finished as the worst 11-1 team of all time. (They lost their bowl game)
  (#34) Old
Loyal Bear

12-20-2012, 07:25 AM

I'd rather have a deceiving 7-6 record than a real 3-9 record.
  (#35) Old
Loyal Bear

12-20-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxer View Post
The SEC and Big 12, since they play only an 8 conference game schedule, have more like ABCC. For example, Alabma's non-conference schedule next year is Virginia Tech (A), Colorado St, (B), Chatanooga (C), and Georgia St. (C).

That said, I don't think anyone is advocating moving off the ABC model -- but next year we have more like A (Ohio St)-C (Portland St)-A (Northwestern).

Would be nice to swap Northwestern for Colorado St or something.
Why is everybody quaking in their boots about Northwestern at home?
It's not like we are lining up a game at Wrigley in late November.
There is no reason a second tier Big 10 team should be a problem for us at home.

Last edited by GBMARIN; 12-20-2012 at 07:42 AM.
  (#36) Old
Loyal Bear

12-20-2012, 08:21 AM

I have no idea what they have coming back, but you have to respect how good a team NU was this year:
OT loss at the Big House, one point loss to Nebraska, and the "worst" loss was 9 at Penn St. And first game with a new system, its certainly not an easy game. But, yes, Cal should be able to play with this kind of team...
  (#37) Old
Loyal Bear

I have no problem with 3 fairly easy OOC games - 12-20-2012, 08:36 AM

Especially during the early years while Sonny builds the program. Just don't ever tout going 8-4/7-5 and going to a crappy nut bowl year after year as some sort of accomplishment. 3 easy OOC games coupled with 7/8 win totals means you are a .500 coach. I hated this about Tedford and Braun more than anything. You could tell that after awhile they lowered their goals from competing for Pac 12 championships to getting to crappy bowl games and getting to the NCAA tournament (ie. a top 60 team). If that is our goal we've overspent on everything.
With that mini-rant out of the way I'm ready to let Sonny build this program and its schedule anyway he sees fit. Go get'em Sonny.
  (#38) Old
Loyal Bear

12-20-2012, 08:44 AM

tOSU 2012 schedule
1. Miami (OH) RedHawks (HOMEGAME)
2. UCF Knights (HOMEGAME)
3. California Golden Bears (HOMEGAME)
4. UAB Blazers (HOMEGAME)

They started with 3 cupcakes and 1 apple tart at home and ended 12-0. Do you think the fanbase would be happier with this outcome or if they had scheduled harder in the beginning--losing to an SEC team game 1 or 3 and derailing some confidence and ending up 10-2? or 9-3?

Hmmm--yea.
  (#39) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-20-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82gradDLSdad View Post
Especially during the early years while Sonny builds the program. Just don't ever tout going 8-4/7-5 and going to a crappy nut bowl year after year as some sort of accomplishment. 3 easy OOC games coupled with 7/8 win totals means you are a .500 coach. I hated this about Tedford and Braun more than anything. You could tell that after awhile they lowered their goals from competing for Pac 12 championships to getting to crappy bowl games and getting to the NCAA tournament (ie. a top 60 team). If that is our goal we've overspent on everything.
With that mini-rant out of the way I'm ready to let Sonny build this program and its schedule anyway he sees fit. Go get'em Sonny.
Agree 100%... This is, in fact, why I thought Tedford was no better than the Cal baseline in the 40 years before him over the last 3 or so years. We were a 5 win average team (maybe 6 with 12 games). Tedford added a Presby and suddenly we have a winning program!? Well, how'd that happen!

Unfortunately, these schedules are typically mid to long range... We can in fill some some seriously suspect teams, but some of the slate is set (Texas, OSU, NW, Nevada-lol, etc). I suppose that Cal can start looking for ways out, but I would be pretty pissed off about losing exciting games...

I want a coach who can play an A team and WIN, not a coach who wants 3 free wins.
  (#40) Old
Golden Bear

12-20-2012, 09:03 AM

Silver lining: We'll probably end up playing UC Davis and get to see Gould on the other side.
  (#41) Old
Real Bear

12-20-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom View Post
Dykes said he prefers a nonconference schedule that allows the team to build momentum toward the Pac-12 slate. Asked about the challenging 2013 schedule, with Big Ten foes Northwestern and Ohio State in Weeks 1 and 3, he said, "I couldn't be in favor of that."

http://www.insidebayarea.com/cal-bea...open-practices

Anyone know what this means in terms of how we'll be scheduling going forward? Does he favor a complete cupcake approach, 1 mediocre opponent and the rest cupcakes, something else? He wasn't at LT long enough to get a sense for it, and their ability to pick opponents is probably a little different than ours. They did play ATM this year but they also played in Dykes' first year which makes me think that the series was scheduled before he got to LT (plus they may have needed the money).
First, there's no preseason games in college football. As such, it makes sense to schedule a cupcake to gear up towards the "real" season. Second, free wins are good. I get the sense that Dykes knows how to play the game that is college football politics. It's something we sorely lacked in 2004 when we were outmaneuvered by that Brown noser.
  (#42) Old
Real Bear

12-20-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMARIN View Post
Why is everybody quaking in their boots about Northwestern at home?
It's not like we are lining up a game at Wrigley in late November.
There is no reason a second tier Big 10 team should be a problem for us at home.
Everybody is quaking in their boots because Northwestern would have kicked Cal's A$$ this past season.

Next season, hopefully a different story.
  (#43) Old
Real Bear

12-20-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden sloth View Post
My only quibble would be to request having the C team as the first game of the year. I can get excited watching Cal trounce a bad team the first week. I get to see the young players, see what the offense is going to be like, gain basic familiarity. If the game is later in the year, this excitement dissipates.
True. But it also might dissipate once we start getting real spring games, too....
  (#44) Old
Real Bear

12-20-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tequila4kapp View Post
Sounds like a coach that wants to bank 3 wins each season.

Sounds like a crappy approach for the fans who have to pay to watch games.
Dykes comes from SEC country. Guy has some things to unlearn.
  (#45) Old
Loyal Bear

12-20-2012, 11:40 AM

right, like there is some badge of honor in being in the top 10 for hardest schedules? What did it prove-that Ohio St. was an A+, and Nevada was a B+, almost an A, in the A-B-C of scheduling?
I think the lobbying for a stronger OOC just shows a disrespect for the conference, how competitive the teams really are...