Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page Dykes on OOC scheduling
Notices

(#46) Old
Real Bear

12-20-2012, 11:57 AM

I'll more than gladly tolerate cupcakes if it means even a slightly better chance at the ultimate prize.
  (#47) Old
Golden Bear

12-20-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedhead03 View Post
I'll more than gladly tolerate cupcakes if it means even a slightly better chance at the ultimate prize.
I think that's where a big part of the debate should be. If scheduling cupcakes makes a team more likely to win their conference and/or get to a national championship game then they should do it until the incentives are changed.

One interesting example is Bill Snyder. He's arguably the best program builder around. He seems to fervently believe in scheduling weak OOC opponents. On the one hand, his teams tend to do well. On the other hand, once they lose a game they go to the back of the line because their SOS is so weak.

Regarding fan excitement - with the capacity of Memorial being lower, I don't think we'd have a problem with selling tickets against a cupcake OOC slate if we're expected to be a top 10 type team. I think the issue is if we're looking at a 7 win season then it becomes a tougher pitch.
  (#48) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-20-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom View Post
I think that's where a big part of the debate should be. If scheduling cupcakes makes a team more likely to win their conference and/or get to a national championship game then they should do it until the incentives are changed.

One interesting example is Bill Snyder. He's arguably the best program builder around. He seems to fervently believe in scheduling weak OOC opponents. On the one hand, his teams tend to do well. On the other hand, once they lose a game they go to the back of the line because their SOS is so weak.

Regarding fan excitement - with the capacity of Memorial being lower, I don't think we'd have a problem with selling tickets against a cupcake OOC slate if we're expected to be a top 10 type team. I think the issue is if we're looking at a 7 win season then it becomes a tougher pitch.
I agree with everything but the top 10 team part. If we were top 30 and entertaining, filling Memorial won't be a problem.
  (#49) Old
Real Bear

12-20-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGolfingBear View Post
Everybody is quaking in their boots because Northwestern would have kicked Cal's A$$ this past season.

Next season, hopefully a different story.
Depends on which Cal showed up. If it was the team that battled against tOSU or UCLA, it would have been a close one.
  (#50) Old
Golden Bear

12-20-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMARIN View Post
It's not like we are lining up a game at Wrigley in late November.
Which is good, because otherwise they might hit us with the "one endzone" trick.

(#51) Old
Real Bear

12-20-2012, 07:10 PM

Lot of good points already made.

That NU game will be tough-two headed qb and improving defense.

Scheduling is an art form. Big believer in getting off to a good start yet playing one very tough non conference game so honor all outstanding deals, then start scheduling a win in the opener so schedule UNLV, NM State, Idaho, etc in opener - should be able to get that at home. Next home and home with intersectional opponent, with decent name, mediocre program. Think Indiana, Illinois, Kansas, etc. If you go Rice, can probably swing a two for one. Finally, lead up to a big time game each year - schedule home and homes with Texas,Michigan,Nebraska,etc. Would be great if you could develop some long term semi regular series with big time opponent like UCLA did with Tennessee for years.
  (#52) Old
Real Bear

12-20-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMARIN View Post
Why is everybody quaking in their boots about Northwestern at home?
It's not like we are lining up a game at Wrigley in late November.
There is no reason a second tier Big 10 team should be a problem for us at home.
We should own them on the road - they play at Dyche stadium. Actually I think they have a Sr QB in Colter -that is SUPPOSED to be an advantage, or at least usually is for other teams.
  (#53) Old
Loyal Bear

12-21-2012, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGoldenBear View Post
Dykes comes from SEC country. Guy has some things to unlearn.
Wrong. Guy has some things to teach us. And I'm happy for it. It's about friggin' time Cal emerged from the dark ages and hired somebody from a part of the country where football matters.

Watch and learn.
  (#54) Old
Real Bear

12-21-2012, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biely medved View Post
We should own them on the road - they play at Dyche stadium. Actually I think they have a Sr QB in Colter -that is SUPPOSED to be an advantage, or at least usually is for other teams.
Colter is one of the more versatile offensive players in the country. Plays qb, wr, and rb. Almost singlehandedly beat Nebraska in Lincoln in 2011. This season 800 yards passing, 800 yards rushing, couple of catches a game. Past two seasons combined, 14 TDs passing and 3 picks. He will be on an NFL roster in 2014. They have another qb who can really throw and plays a lot. They are 9-3 with loss at Michigan in OT, last second loss to Nebraska and gave up 4th quarter lead at Penn State.

The game will be winnable but difficult. They are gradually moving out of the second tier of the Big 10- they basically own Iowa, have beaten Nebraska and Wisconsin in the past three years or so. They beat Michigan State on the road this year - something CP and Boise could not accomplish. And finally, if I remember correctly- they beat Nevada in Evanston not that many years ago.

Last edited by slotright20; 12-21-2012 at 05:33 AM.
  (#55) Old
Loyal Bear

12-21-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedhead03 View Post
First, there's no preseason games in college football. As such, it makes sense to schedule a cupcake to gear up towards the "real" season. Second, free wins are good. I get the sense that Dykes knows how to play the game that is college football politics. It's something we sorely lacked in 2004 when we were outmaneuvered by that Brown noser.
This!
  (#56) Old
Real Bear

12-21-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwharfrat View Post
This!
A quality opponent will prepare you more than a cupcake will. Heck in recent year's there have been bigger cupcakes in the conference (Colorado, WSU).

Look at Oregon this year. Despite having the same number of losses as Alabama they did not have much of an argument to be in the BCSNCG. They likely would have had an argument had they played some real teams as opposed to Tenn Tech, Fresno, and Arky State in the non-conference.
  (#57) Old
New Bear

12-21-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcocoon007 View Post
A quality opponent will prepare you more than a cupcake will. Heck in recent year's there have been bigger cupcakes in the conference (Colorado, WSU).

Look at Oregon this year. Despite having the same number of losses as Alabama they did not have much of an argument to be in the BCSNCG. They likely would have had an argument had they played some real teams as opposed to Tenn Tech, Fresno, and Arky State in the non-conference.
This!
  (#58) Old
Loyal Bear

12-21-2012, 07:54 AM

UTx in 2014/15---hook 'em!

"I cannot be certain of the answer in that regard." -PdS __
  (#59) Old
Real Bear

12-21-2012, 08:00 AM

I don't think coach is opposed to a marquee series with Ohio State or Texas. What he doesn't want is to play Michigan State or North Carolina. I am ok with that since that is the trend in CFB.
  (#60) Old
Loyal Bear

12-26-2012, 10:33 AM

I'm sure this will be easy for some of you to clarify.

Cal will graduate to the pac12 championship game when we have the best OVERALL (not conference only) record, right?

If this is so, then doesn't it behoove us to schedule 3 guaranteed OOC wins?

(Or is it only the overall record that determines who hosts the game?)