Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page Is Monty keeping his eye on New Jersey?
Notices

(#1) Old
Golden Bear

Location: Black roof country no gold pavements tired starlings
Is Monty keeping his eye on New Jersey? - 12-20-2012, 11:12 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/19/sp...ew-jersey.html
  (#2) Old
Loyal Bear

12-20-2012, 11:42 AM

It wants Log In.
Thus, a dead link.
  (#3) Old
New Bear

12-20-2012, 11:50 AM

Got in without a problem.
  (#4) Old
Loyal Bear

12-20-2012, 08:24 PM

As to Monty's keeping an eye on NJ, it raises the issue of the Cal recruiting budget.

What do we know about it and how does it rate within conference and nationally?
  (#5) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-21-2012, 12:19 AM

One thing we know, Monty Jr's European recruiting mission must have cost a pretty penny unless he stayed with friends or in hostels. Hopefully, Eleraki shows-up in Berkeley as a 2014 JC transfer.
  (#6) Old
Loyal Bear

12-21-2012, 06:36 AM

Okay, new computer, link okay.
So, correct me if I'm wrong but this is a regional story of high school basketball in the NY NJ metro city area, and not really anything to do with recruiting at Cal. I would expect Monty to ignore this market as I really could never see any kids portrayed in this story remotely considering Cal.
  (#7) Old
Loyal Bear

12-21-2012, 07:23 AM

Uh, I think it would behoove Monty to start landing kids from the Bay Area before he even thinks about New Jersey. Just a suggestion...
  (#8) Old
Loyal Bear

12-21-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puget sound cal fan View Post
One thing we know, Monty Jr's European recruiting mission must have cost a pretty penny unless he stayed with friends or in hostels. Hopefully, Eleraki shows-up in Berkeley as a 2014 JC transfer.
I would NOT characterize the Europe trip as primarily a recruiting mission, rather a chance to get your team some extra on-court experience as well as overseas (cultural/educational/fun) experience. If you make any recruiting connections while over there, all the better.

The NCAA allows these types of trips every 4 or 5 years, right? So, take advantage to get your team better prepared for the upcoming season - that's the big bonus to the trip! Not recruiting.
  (#9) Old
Golden Bear

12-21-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
I would NOT characterize the Europe trip as primarily a recruiting mission, rather a chance to get your team some extra on-court experience as well as overseas (cultural/educational/fun) experience. If you make any recruiting connections while over there, all the better.

The NCAA allows these types of trips every 4 or 5 years, right? So, take advantage to get your team better prepared for the upcoming season - that's the big bonus to the trip! Not recruiting.
I'm pretty sure he was talking about Monty Jr's recruiting trip last summer, not the team's trip 2 summers ago.