Chat Room [1]
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page Jabari Parker
Notices

(#16) Old
Loyal Bear

12-22-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCalBears View Post
Braun had a knack for bring in blue chips, is there anyway MM can bring him in to Asst head coach and main recruiter for us? While here, Braun can learn from MM how to better coach and maybe take over (again) when MM retired.
Huh? Bring back Ben?

I assume this post is sarcasm...
  (#17) Old
Loyal Bear

12-23-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearyWhite View Post
it's a muslim thing.

UCLA running back sharmon shah got a similar name from his imam when he converted, karim abdul-jabbar. (he said he told the imam 'really? you realize I play for UCLA, right?') a few years later the NBA kareem sued karim, who later changed his name to Abdul-Karim al-Jabbar.
I knew it was a Muslim thing. I just wanted to know what "jabbar" meant, and does this mean that Brown, Bird, and Parker are all Muslim?
Certainly not for Parker, who is Mormon.

By the way, wikipedia says Jabbar is an Arabic word meaning "giant" or "almighty".
  (#18) Old
Loyal Bear

12-23-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
I knew it was a Muslim thing. I just wanted to know what "jabbar" meant, and does this mean that Brown, Bird, and Parker are all Muslim?

By the way, wikipedia says Jabbar is an Arabic word meaning "giant" or "almighty".
I like the modesty of the the name...

Go Bears!
  (#19) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-23-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concordtom View Post

is it a serious question? it's not 'jabbar' parker it's jabari, so your guess is as good as mine whether the names developed from the same root. by 'a muslim thing' I meant that karim and kareem got their names from their imam, so it has a different meaning regardless than the names that the jabari's parents gave them.
  (#20) Old
Loyal Bear

12-24-2012, 08:24 AM

I was not trying to be silly in any way. Having thought about this considerably longer than my first post on the subject, which simply remarked at the coincidence of 3 Jabaris connected to Cal hoops when I had never heard the Jabari before, I now assume that Jabari came from a popularization of jabber, a Muslim name from an iman that became popular from Lew Alcindor.

I recently named a few children and it's interesting to learn about baby naming trends. There are many sports hero last names turned first names, especially for boys.

Another possibility is that the families could be Muslim and taking a derivation. My name is Thomas and I go by Tom. The name probably has christian roots alluding to jesus's desciple but I don't think that's what my parents were going for.

Finally, a parent could choose a name just bc they liked the sound of it, as if it were made up from scratch, but it's a coincidence there are 3 Jabaris in basketball so close to each other. I had never heard the name before, other than Kareem Jabbar, thus, I assume the parents got a mental queue from either a likening to kareem's athletic heroism, or the root name's Islamic meaning.

If Christian families, I'll assume Lew alcindor has taken the name to the pop culture heroic icon stature. Sometimes in naming trends parents arent necessarily even aware of why a name appeals to them. There are so many subconscious factors. I know!!!

Last edited by concordtom; 12-24-2012 at 08:36 AM.
  (#21) Old
Loyal Bear

12-24-2012, 08:31 AM

By the way, by earning d1 college scholarships, I'd say that all 3 Jabaris have done well to live up to their name's lofty root meaning. Rather, their parents chose well! ;-)