Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page Oregon’s latest NCAA problem (Yahoo Sports)
Notices

(#1) Old
Loyal Bear

Oregon’s latest NCAA problem (Yahoo Sports) - 12-21-2012, 08:22 AM

Oregon’s latest NCAA problem

First couple of paragraphs:
Quote:
At best, Oregon has suffered a setback in its NCAA investigation. At worst…well, things could get a lot worse.

Oregon’s problem today isn’t simply that it didn’t get the summary disposition it sought in the Will Lyles recruiting service fiasco. Oregon’s problem is that individuals involved with Lyles will now likely have to answer questions in front of the NCAA’s committee on infractions. Which means when Oregon goes to its NCAA hearing, the subject will focus sharply on the “why” of Oregon’s actions.

• Why was Will Lyles paid $25,000?

• Why was Lyles facilitating recruiting visits for the program?

• Why did Lyles aid Oregon’s staff in getting a letter of intent signed by a recruit?

• Why did Oregon wait almost 11 months to request written scouting reports from Lyles after paying him $25,000?

Now close your eyes and imagine Ducks coach Chip Kelly answering those questions - or any others stemming from Lyles' allegations - in front of a committee on infractions panel. Frankly, Oregon might have reasonable answers for all of questions. And it might be looking forward to stating its case before a committee.

But there’s a flip-side, too. Hearings before the NCAA’s committee on infractions are unpredictable. The back-and-forth nature of follow-up questions can be tricky. Bottom line, it’s far different for a coach or staffer to answer questions on the fly, rather than through a dust-busting multimillion-dollar law firm.
Is Chipie gone?
  (#2) Old
Loyal Bear

12-21-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelzebear View Post
Oregon’s latest NCAA problem

First couple of paragraphs:

Is Chipie gone?
Chip and staff. Welcome coach CP
  (#3) Old
Loyal Bear

12-21-2012, 09:00 AM

Imagine if UW thumps Boise State tomorrow and CP takes the Oregon job? The hilarity would be too much.

Last edited by SoCalBear323; 12-21-2012 at 09:14 AM.
  (#4) Old
Loyal Bear

12-21-2012, 09:03 AM

lol, the thought of Chip answering questions in front of that committee is hilarious.
  (#5) Old
Loyal Bear

12-21-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson View Post
lol, the thought of Chip answering questions in front of that committee is hilarious.
He'll be eating a cheesesteak by then.
  (#6) Old
Active Bear

12-21-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBear323 View Post
He'll be eating a cheesesteak by then.
I'm assuming you think he is coaching the Eagles next season. This works out perfectly for him, he will probably be fired right around the time Oregon's (possible) bowl bans / recruiting sanctions end and he can pick up right where he left off.
  (#7) Old
Real Bear

12-21-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAyers3 View Post
I'm assuming you think he is coaching the Eagles next season. This works out perfectly for him, he will probably be fired right around the time Oregon's (possible) bowl bans / recruiting sanctions end and he can pick up right where he left off.
Chip won't be fired. He will leave Oregon just like Pete left USC. I doubt if Chip would ever answer to the NCAA. THe NCAA isn't going to announce anything until after the bowls are over and by that time Chip will be signed, sealed and delivered to the NFL. If Peterson is interested in the Ducks job he may think twice about leaving BSU for the O.
  (#8) Old
Loyal Bear

12-21-2012, 10:00 AM

He's saying fired by the NFL
  (#9) Old
Loyal Bear

12-21-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar20 View Post
Chip won't be fired. He will leave Oregon just like Pete left USC.
I believe the thought was that Chip would be fired by the Eagles around when Oregon's bowl ban/sanctions end, and be re-hired. If Oregon does get CP that would be surprising but very much in line with the lack of success of prior Boise State HC's going to other schools.
  (#10) Old
Real Bear

12-21-2012, 10:02 AM

From duck to eagle I suppose that's an upgrade
  (#11) Old
Active Bear

12-21-2012, 10:07 AM

I am having a hard time getting worked up about the Willie Lyles controversy. Lache Seastrunk doesn't even play for Oregon.

I hope Oregon isn't hit hard with sanctions. That will only make the Pac 12 weaker.
  (#12) Old
Loyal Bear

12-21-2012, 10:14 AM

Uncle Phil's sweatshop money taints Furd as well. For pete sake, Sweat Shop Master Phil has a business school named after him at Furd. Guess it goes hand in hand with the Great Depression Master Hoover's Tower of Pain.

Last edited by beelzebear; 12-21-2012 at 10:20 AM.
  (#13) Old
Real Bear

12-21-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpbear View Post
I believe the thought was that Chip would be fired by the Eagles around when Oregon's bowl ban/sanctions end, and be re-hired. If Oregon does get CP that would be surprising but very much in line with the lack of success of prior Boise State HC's going to other schools.
Did we rehire Bozeman back when his coaching ban ended? Chip paid Lyles $25k. . He paid a recruits mentor to sway the recruit to play for the Ducks. What's the difference? The O would never hire him back. Maybe he could get a HC job at Morgan State.
  (#14) Old
Real Bear

12-22-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechaniCAL View Post
From duck to eagle I suppose that's an upgrade
If you were Chip Kelly, wouldn't you rather take over the Carolina Panthers job once Rivera gets fired? By all accounts, Vick will be gone next season. You really want to build around Foles instead of Cam?
  (#15) Old
Real Bear

12-22-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal96 View Post
I am having a hard time getting worked up about the Willie Lyles controversy. Lache Seastrunk doesn't even play for Oregon.

I hope Oregon isn't hit hard with sanctions. That will only make the Pac 12 weaker.
f**k that! i want chip and oregon to get ass reemed