Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page Rose Bowl Tix - How much would you pay?
Notices

(#1) Old
Active Bear

Rose Bowl Tix - How much would you pay? - 12-21-2012, 03:21 PM

Took a quick look at the BCS Championship Game tix - Stubhub, and saw that the least expensive tickets available (as of this week, maybe they'll drop in price over the next couple of weeks) were $1000 Standing Room Only tickets. Having a friend who is a ND alum, donor, and decently connected, but unable to get tickets through their athletic ticket office (think the number was about 8,000 tickets available to ND ticket holders, max of two per account), got me to thinking:

- On that glorious Jan 1 day that is coming soon, what do you think Rose Bowl tickets will be going for through the available sources?
- What amount would you pay for a seat in Pasadena to hoist a shot of Tequila with Joe Kapp?

Given that the allocation numbers for the RB will likely be along the lines of what my Notre Dame friend experienced, the question is worth some consideration - if the Cal allotment is ~8,000 tickets, the ATO tickets would be gone long before the demand was satisfied. Assuming this is not the NC game, I would expect the cost to be significantly lower than that for a NC game, but am not sure what the tickets would sell for - in 2012 dollars, mind you. As for myself, I'm thinking the following about my own thresholds:

- $300 to $500? (about the current price for Fiesta Bowl seats on line), Yes - I'd be shelling out
- $750 to $1000? Yes - would pause for a bit, but would go ahead if that was the only option
- $1500 to $2000? depends upon the amount of alcohol consumed before going onto StubHub
- $3000 - not sure there is enough alcohol available to persuade me at this level ...

Other thoughts, options, opinions??
  (#2) Old
New Bear

12-21-2012, 03:27 PM

I would pay $1000 each per ticket (one for me and one for my husband). We live in the LA area, so we can just take the metroline there. No need to pay extra for airfare or a hotel. So, on second thought, I may be willing to pay even more. Max would be $2000 a ticket.
  (#3) Old
Loyal Bear

12-21-2012, 03:28 PM

The year that Michigan played Texas they were going for like $15 the day of the game.

Wisconsin travels well but they're coming off 5 losses and have gone regularly. Stanford has been somewhat recently and doesn't travel that well.

I think you can get in for $25 on gameday if you're willing to wait.
  (#4) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-21-2012, 03:29 PM

I will up OSKIesp and go $2500 per. But I'm expecting to pay like $400 max. But if better seats, $1,000.
  (#5) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-21-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looperbear View Post
The year that Michigan played Texas they were going for like $15 the day of the game.

Wisconsin travels well but they're coming off 5 losses and have gone regularly. Stanford has been somewhat recently and doesn't travel that well.

I think you can get in for $25 on gameday if you're willing to wait.
I had a boatload of RB tickets purchased through the Michigan website. I think I sold my last pair at like $50 each.
  (#6) Old
Active Bear

12-21-2012, 03:31 PM

I will be there. I hope to pay less than $5000 for a decent seat. I hope its soon!!
  (#7) Old
Loyal Bear

12-21-2012, 03:57 PM

Only 8k tickets for participating schools? Wow, that's low. Looks like season tickets makes even less sense now if it doesn't get you a RB ticket unless you're in ESP land.
  (#8) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-21-2012, 03:58 PM

Honestly? I will tap into long term savings and go no mater what the cost. I am 48. I have followed the Bears RELIGIOUSLY since I was about 8 when I started to go to the games with my late father. I will be in attendance and I WILL be sleeping out, the night before, on Colorado Blvd. so I can see the Pride of California, for the first time, March in the Rose Bowl Parade.
  (#9) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-21-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
Honestly? I will tap into long term savings and go no mater what the cost. I am 48. I have followed the Bears RELIGIOUSLY since I was about 8 when I started to go to the games with my late father. I will be in attendance and I WILL be sleeping out, the night before, on Colorado Blvd. so I can see the Pride of California, for the first time, March in the Rose Bowl Parade.
I'm with him.
  (#10) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

12-21-2012, 04:05 PM

Hopefully we play Wisconsin. There will be a ton of tickets
  (#11) Old
Loyal Bear

12-21-2012, 04:10 PM

The year we got screwed by Mack Brown my wife had secured 10 tix's at face value from friends of hers at $c:-(.
Anyway I'd pay up to $2k for Tix's.
  (#12) Old
Loyal Bear

12-21-2012, 04:12 PM

I will pay what it takes
  (#13) Old
Real Bear

12-21-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelzebear View Post
Only 8k tickets for participating schools? Wow, that's low. Looks like season tickets makes even less sense now if it doesn't get you a RB ticket unless you're in ESP land.
I am almost certain the allocation for Rose Bowl seats (if NOT hosting the NCG) is substantially higher for each of the participating schools. I believe the allocation is 32,000 seats per school. Here is an annoucement about Stanford passing the 31,000 mark...

http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-f...120412aac.html

To go back to the OP - if I was NOT able to get tickets via ESP / Donor seating rights, I would easily pay $1,000 per seat without thinking about it - and as I write this, would probably pay into the $2,500 range for decent seats.

My brother and I paid $2,500 each to go to watch the Raiders get crushed by the Buccaneers in San Diego. While the hit was difficult to swallow that night - as the years have gone by and that Super Bowl season gets further and further away - the cost feels smaller and smaller and the value of having been there grows.

There is almost no way I would let "just money" prevent me from being there, in person, at kickoff in our return to the Rose Bowl. Death and jail maybe - but can't think of anything else.
  (#14) Old
Loyal Bear

12-21-2012, 04:43 PM

My good friend is a huge ND fan and he is flying out with another buddy to the NC game. He asked me first to see if I would sport $1,500-$2,000 for a ticket (semi nosebleeds as I understood it) and stated he would cover the airfare, hotel and food (not drinks) if I went with him. I passed because I can't stand either team and I have better things to do with the money but it got me thinking...What would I do if Cal ever made it to the NC or Rose Bowl and I'm pretty sure I would do the same if a GF or wife wouldn't attend...Crazy stuff but a fan has to have priorities eh?

70 Nobel Prizes, 9 Wolf Prizes, 7 Fields Medals, 15 Turing Awards, 45 MacArthur Fellowships, 20 Academy Awards and 11 Pulitzers. 16 chemical elements discovered-more than any other university in the world. 87 national titles in 15 sports including football, basketball, baseball, softball, crew, tennis, swimming, water polo, track and rugby. 274 individual national champions and 176 Olympic medals. Thereís only one Cal and itís in Berkeley.
  (#15) Old
Loyal Bear

12-21-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail2Calif View Post
I am almost certain the allocation for Rose Bowl seats (if NOT hosting the NCG) is substantially higher for each of the participating schools. I believe the allocation is 32,000 seats per school. Here is an annoucement about Stanford passing the 31,000 mark...

http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-f...120412aac.html

To go back to the OP - if I was NOT able to get tickets via ESP / Donor seating rights, I would easily pay $1,000 per seat without thinking about it - and as I write this, would probably pay into the $2,500 range for decent seats.

My brother and I paid $2,500 each to go to watch the Raiders get crushed by the Buccaneers in San Diego. While the hit was difficult to swallow that night - as the years have gone by and that Super Bowl season gets further and further away - the cost feels smaller and smaller and the value of having been there grows.

There is almost no way I would let "just money" prevent me from being there, in person, at kickoff in our return to the Rose Bowl. Death and jail maybe - but can't think of anything else.
30k is better...closer to the numbers I heard in '04...but I don't remember how many were allotted to each season ticket. I think big donors got 2-4 seats and regular season tickets got 1 seat per/ticket.

In '04 before the criminality of Mack the suck up, every Cal alum I knew in called since I had season tickets and asked about RB tickets. There's so many Cal alum in CA, the spectulation was $500 for the cheapest/crappiest seat...a lot more for anything decent.

I think the demand of Cal in the RB would be close to the SF Giants first WS at ATT. About the same period of time (50 years). I think standing room was $500...but there's only one RB game.

Frankly I'm not sure how much I'd pay for a ticket. I was always banking on the idea (during the Tedford years) on a season ticket allotted RB ticket. I'd drop for $500, probably $1,000...but I'd have to think past that since I'm using the season tix logic.

BTW, anyone know how many season ticket holders at CMS? I don't remember the numbers.