Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page Prairie View vs. Cal video
Notices

(#1) Old
Active Bear

Prairie View vs. Cal video - 12-23-2012, 10:53 PM

Sorry I've been late in posting this video--it's been busy. I also missed the first part of the game, but here goes:
http://youtu.be/HEusDgNjRkg
  (#2) Old
Golden Bear

video - 12-24-2012, 09:10 AM

thanks for the highlight video. I like watching a particular player (instead of the ball) in these highlight videos. It's often a player off the ball that makes a play work

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakyne View Post
Sorry I've been late in posting this video--it's been busy. I also missed the first part of the game, but here goes:
http://youtu.be/HEusDgNjRkg

I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez
  (#3) Old
Golden Bear

12-24-2012, 10:32 AM

Speaking of iso'ing on one player, I really enjoy watching Wallace place man D. He doesn't overplay the passing lanes like Gates, or get in the players' grills like Midgley, or ball hawk like Diggs, but really hustles, moves his feet, keeps his hands high, fights through screens, and seems to help out at the right times. He is also more physical than you would think just by looking at him and he has great hands for rebounding and going after loose balls (and re-gaining his dribble on the other end).
  (#4) Old
Active Bear

12-24-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil Bear View Post
Speaking of iso'ing on one player, I really enjoy watching Wallace place man D. He doesn't overplay the passing lanes like Gates, or get in the players' grills like Midgley, or ball hawk like Diggs, but really hustles, moves his feet, keeps his hands high, fights through screens, and seems to help out at the right times. He is also more physical than you would think just by looking at him and he has great hands for rebounding and going after loose balls (and re-gaining his dribble on the other end).
Most fans are real homers (nothing wrong with that), but there are some really solid basketball posters on this message board. You just described a couple defensive drills, closing out on perimeter shooters, for instance.

The homerism is worse at Haas or any home venue, probably because the casual fan sitting in the stands will react negatively to any call against the home team (again, nothing wrong with that as that is by definition, part of homecourt advantage), but a guy sitting on the floor by Cal's bench was really honest and impartial, criticizing missed calls against both Cal and the opponents. It's surprising and refreshing, but he told me when one watches enough live basketball up close, it really is easy to see whether a call was blown or not. I'd have to agree.

Most refs are pretty good, but they obviously miss a few calls over the course of a game. He did say one referee Greenstein (sp?) has it out for Monty, but that's just heresay.

Last edited by dakyne; 12-24-2012 at 10:44 AM.
  (#5) Old
Active Bear

12-24-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
thanks for the highlight video. I like watching a particular player (instead of the ball) in these highlight videos. It's often a player off the ball that makes a play work
Yep, astute fans will understand to watch the solid picks being set is often the first and most important step in an offense getting an open shot. The average fan watches the passer and the recipient who catches and shoots. But it was the solid pick that freed up the shooter which makes it all happen.

We track stats like assists, points, and fg%, but there is no metric for solid screens being set. And often times when a post player is called for an offensive foul (moving pick), it is the ball handler who is at fault, as he didn't let his post player get set before dribbling. Personally, I'd like to see fewer calls on that, unless it's egregious. It disrupts the flow of the game and doesn't really impact the game in a positive manner.

And on defense, how many times have you seen guys get clobbered when his teammate doesn't call out the screen left or screen right? As a defending guard, they should hold their teammates responsible for lack of communication. The best defending teams communicate well, as rotation responsibilities are called out. Sitting close to the action reveals that pretty quickly.