Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page Arroyo lands on his feet
Notices

(#1) Old
Real Bear

Arroyo lands on his feet - 12-24-2012, 02:20 PM

Footballscoop.com is reporting that Marcus Arroyo will the Offensive Coordinator at Southern Miss. I thought overall he did a decent job play-calling this year. A few misses, but overall pretty good considering he wasn't the OC.

Good luck to him!

Last edited by MoragaBear; 12-25-2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Changed Orroyo to Arroyo
  (#2) Old
Real Bear

12-24-2012, 02:22 PM

That's a big step up for him.

I never understood why people were so impressed by his play calling abilities. Granted, he called two good games (UCLA and tOSU). But the rest of the season was absolutely awful. Do you really think Tedford only put him in charge of those two games?
  (#3) Old
Real Bear

12-24-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke! View Post
That's a big step up for him.

I never understood why people were so impressed by his play calling abilities. Granted, he called two good games (UCLA and tOSU). But the rest of the season was absolutely awful. Do you really think Tedford only put him in charge of those two games?
First of all, my post described his play-calling as decent and pretty-good; "so impressed" is a fair leap from that. But aside from that, the offensive coordinator is typically the play-caller and does so from a more autonomous standpoint. I seriously doubt the overall offensive strategy was his, he was carrying it out. Having said that, I didn't think the play calling was the problem, it was more the overall run-first game plan (which was not likely his) and the execution that didn't work well.

It will be interesting to see how he does with the whole offense under his control.
  (#4) Old
Loyal Bear

12-24-2012, 02:56 PM

His experience calling plays at Cal got him that job. They wouldn't have hired him if he was just the QB coach.
  (#5) Old
Loyal Bear

12-24-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson View Post
His experience calling plays at Cal got him that job. They wouldn't have hired him if he was just the QB coach.
Given the QB production for Cal, that's for sure.
  (#6) Old
Real Bear

12-24-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyblue View Post
First of all, my post described his play-calling as decent and pretty-good; "so impressed" is a fair leap from that. But aside from that, the offensive coordinator is typically the play-caller and does so from a more autonomous standpoint. I seriously doubt the overall offensive strategy was his, he was carrying it out. Having said that, I didn't think the play calling was the problem, it was more the overall run-first game plan (which was not likely his) and the execution that didn't work well.

It will be interesting to see how he does with the whole offense under his control.
Sure. All of those WR screen calls really caught the defense off guard. Opposing defenses never knew what he was going to call next.

And our QBs really blossomed under his coaching.

And he did a fantastic job with recruiting and organization. Just as Darrell Daniels.
  (#7) Old
Loyal Bear

12-25-2012, 12:42 AM

He didn't call plays the entire season.

He took over those responsibilities a few games into the year.
  (#8) Old
New Bear

12-25-2012, 04:05 AM

Does anyone else find it weird that he is going to be an OC with Monken who is an Air Raid person? Does Arroyo have any experience with that kind of offense?
  (#9) Old
Loyal Bear

12-25-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Sure. All of those WR screen calls really caught the defense off guard. Opposing defenses never knew what he was going to call next....

Since former OCs Cignetti and Ludwig also called a whole bunch of WR Screens, one would have to assume that Tedford wanted them called as an integral part of the general gameplan. After 2007, Cal sucked at Pass Protection, but blocking for the WR Screen was/is doable for our Oline and JT, despite his flaws, was most likely emphasizing a team strength while trying to hide a weakness (pass pro).

The WR Screen is the bread-and-butter of the Spread and since Dykes is a Spread Guy, hopefully you won't be so shocked about it this time around. Heck, I can see you actually standing up to applaud and saying "I told you so! It works!" in belated fashion.

Quote:
...And our QBs really blossomed under his coaching....

And JT, the alleged QB Guru, was supposed to be more involved with the QBs over the past several years. Same common denominator as WR Screens -- Tedford's presence on the Offense.

Quote:
....And he did a fantastic job with recruiting and organization. Just as Darrell Daniels.

Do you know for a fact that Cal offered Darrell Daniels? Or you just crying that he was "Toshed" by a better recruiter and chose Washington ala Shaq Thompson?

"Daniels said that Coach Tosh Lupoi helped influence him that Washington was the right place to play."

Last edited by Our Domicile; 12-25-2012 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Link
  (#10) Old
Real Bear

12-25-2012, 08:22 AM

I for one, know for a fact that they at the very least wanted to offer him. They might have never got to, because they kind of got shut down. They dropped the ball big time with him.
  (#11) Old
Loyal Bear

12-25-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liBEARtyre04 View Post
I for one, know for a fact that they at the very least wanted to offer him. They might have never got to, because they kind of got shut down. They dropped the ball big time with him.

Does it really matter if they (Arroyo) "dropped the ball big time with him" last summer?

If (and that's a big "if) DD had verballed to Cal way back in June, with the termination of Tedford and his coaching staff, he would have had every reason to re-open his recruitment until LOI/NSD and shop around...with Tosh still lurking about.

With the exception of a couple of posters above, all I see is pettiness and scapegoating of Arroyo. I'm glad he landed on his feet and predicted that would be the case. Like Cignetti and Ludwig and even Dunbar, it seems that former Cal OCs still are appreciated and unblemished enough to find employment elsewhere and I'm happy for all of them. I knew Arroyo was young and bright enough to start over somewhere else and I wish him (and the other former Assistants) the best. I see him coming back to San Jose State one day as a better, more experienced Coach.

So some of you can keep crying over DD. I won't because we're still pretty loaded at WR and this offense can attract more WR studs in the future.

But hey, if Cal is so much better without JT and his Staff then I guess DD will be switching his commitment to the "new and improved" Cal before LOI Day, right? Well, go for it. DD verballed early in June. Six more weeks to recruit.
  (#12) Old
Real Bear

12-25-2012, 09:05 AM

I'm not just throwing random tidbits I think I've cobbled together out there. I got it straight from DD's head coach who I've known for 15 years. He was not happy. They felt like the staff was big timing the local kids. Tosh created that culture, and then immediately used that perception against them when he got to UW.
Once again, the Cal staff "lost his number" and then didn't contact him from November to right before the spring game. He lives 40 minutes from Cal. Then arroyo came in and told them a bunch of BS about how DD was a top priority for them and how they lost the number. It was too late by then. Feelings hurt and bridges burned.
I do, however, think that we still have a chance to flip him right up til the last day, which in turn will make our chances with 14' RB Joe Mixon much better.
  (#13) Old
Loyal Bear

12-25-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liBEARtyre04 View Post
I'm not just throwing random tidbits I think I've cobbled together out there. I got it straight from DD's head coach who I've known for 15 years. He was not happy. They felt like the staff was big timing the local kids. Tosh created that culture, and then immediately used that perception against them when he got to UW.
Once again, the Cal staff "lost his number" and then didn't contact him from November to right before the spring game. He lives 40 minutes from Cal. Then arroyo came in and told them a bunch of BS about how DD was a top priority for them and how they lost the number. It was too late by then. Feelings hurt and bridges burned.
I do, however, think that we still have a chance to flip him right up til the last day, which in turn will make our chances with 14' RB Joe Mixon much better.

Sounds like the failed 2008 recruitment (or non-recruitment, take your pick) of Diante Jackson, local stud 4-star WR from Las Lomas/Walnut Creek who lived 20 minutes from Cal and all that jazz. I wonder where he is nowadays.

That was years before Arroyo. JT was around though.

If Dykes wants to repair all those burned bridges and hurt feelings in Bay Area high schools, more power to him and I hope he can do it, but I also see local stars "big timing" Cal and looking to play elsewhere all along. It goes both ways in recruiting. It takes two to tango.

Last edited by Our Domicile; 12-25-2012 at 09:50 AM.
  (#14) Old
Real Bear

12-25-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Sure. All of those WR screen calls really caught the defense off guard. Opposing defenses never knew what he was going to call next.

And our QBs really blossomed under his coaching.

And he did a fantastic job with recruiting and organization. Just as Darrell Daniels.
Just from his twitter account Darrell Daniels is an emotional time bomb waiting to implode, Washington can have him. Sonny Dykes will land HUGE WR talent, already is, no loss there whatsoever. Arroyo is a great young coach in the making ..
  (#15) Old
Real Bear

12-25-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Domicile View Post
Sounds like the failed 2008 recruitment (or non-recruitment, take your pick) of Diante Jackson, local stud 4-star WR from Las Lomas/Walnut Creek who lived 20 minutes from Cal and all that jazz. I wonder where he is nowadays.

That was years before Arroyo. JT was around though.

If Dykes wants to repair all those burned bridges and hurt feelings in Bay Area high schools, more power to him and I hope he can do it, but I also see local stars "big timing" Cal and looking to play elsewhere all along. It goes both ways in recruiting. It takes two to tango.
Diante jackson didn't last one season at OREGON for heavens sake, kicked off and disappeared from sight. When will we learn that talent is secondary.