Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page Arroyo lands on his feet
Notices

(#16) Old
Real Bear

12-25-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearblast View Post
Just from his twitter account Darrell Daniels is an emotional time bomb waiting to implode, Washington can have him. Sonny Dykes will land HUGE WR talent, already is, no loss there whatsoever. Arroyo is a great young coach in the making ..
I am glad that Arroyo landed a great job. But I don't see him as a great coach. I wish him all the best going forward, but I couldn't be more glad that he is gone.

Defenses saw our plays coming from a mile away.

He wasn't able to turn Maynard into a good QB. But much worse, he wasn't able to develop any of our QBs to be better than Maynard. Arroyo had the QBs in his meeting room and on the field every single day. Surely he bares a large part of the responsibility for them not developing. You can't lay this all on Tedford. Arroyo has never developed a single one of the players in his unit into a good college football player.

And whatever you think of Daniels, the point is that Arroyo dropped the ball and lost us a recruit that we wanted.
  (#17) Old
Loyal Bear

12-25-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke! View Post
I am glad that Arroyo landed a great job. But I don't see him as a great coach. I wish him all the best going forward, but I couldn't be more glad that he is gone.

Defenses saw our plays coming from a mile away....
Tedford's offense was labeled predictable even before Arroyo came. I use to hear that accusation here on BI a lot.

Quote:
...He wasn't able to turn Maynard into a good QB. But much worse, he wasn't able to develop any of our QBs to be better than Maynard. Arroyo had the QBs in his meeting room and on the field every single day. Surely he bares a large part of the responsibility for them not developing. You can't lay this all on Tedford. Arroyo has never developed a single one of the players in his unit into a good college football player....

Austyn Carta-Samuels of 2009 Wyoming was a very good College QB and Arroyo was his QB Coach. He was even doing "Johnny Football" stuff in Wyo's win over Fresno State in that season's New Mexico bowl game.

Maynard was Maynard. Between being an awkward lefty and his allegedly mutinous Oline not doing him any favors, he simply could not be coached to reach another level on a consistent basis.

But you while cry about the lack of miracles involving Cal QBs, SoMiss found Arroyo to be talented enough to offer him a job.

Quote:
...And whatever you think of Daniels, the point is that Arroyo dropped the ball and lost us a recruit that we wanted.

We wanted? LOL. Yeah, you and USC (his latest offer) and Notre Dame (second to last) and so on....

UW and Nebraska offered him first. He stuck with UW all the way so keep crying over spilled your eggnog.
  (#18) Old
Real Bear

12-25-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Domicile View Post
Tedford's offense was labeled predictable even before Arroyo came. I use to hear that accusation here on BI a lot.
Yes. What is your point? Arroyo was the one calling the plays this year. Just because we had many other bad play callers in the past doesn't mean he was not a bad play caller this year (with the exception of 2 games). And in case you haven't been paying attention, our playbook was massive. He had the freedom to call the plays. And he picked plays that the other team saw coming from a mile away.

Quote:
Austyn Carta-Samuels of 2009 Wyoming was a very good College QB and Arroyo was his QB Coach. He was even doing "Johnny Football" stuff in Wyo's win over Fresno State in that season's New Mexico bowl game.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He went 7-6 in 2009 and 3-9 in 2010. But totally. He is a good QB coach because one of his players had a slightly better than average year in 2009. Since then, they have all sucked. But man, oh man, that 2009 7-6 year was awesome for Arroyo!

Quote:
Maynard was Maynard. Between being an awkward lefty and his allegedly mutinous Oline not doing him any favors, he simply could not be coached to reach another level on a consistent basis.
Totally. The QB coach had nothing to do with both of our QBs sucking. Bridgford must have also been an awkward lefty.

Quote:
But you while cry about the lack of miracles involving Cal QBs, SoMiss found Arroyo to be talented enough to offer him a job.
You're the only one who sounds like he is crying. As for So. Miss -- are you really arguing that since a team offered him an OC job he must be good? Didn't we hire Ludwig?

Quote:
We wanted? LOL. Yeah, you and USC (his latest offer) and Notre Dame (second to last) and so on....

UW and Nebraska offered him first. He stuck with UW all the way so keep crying over spilled your eggnog.
You are the only one who is crying. I am pleased as punch that he doesn't coach here anymore. But I am also happy that he found a good job. I wish him all the best going forward.

Daniels said he wanted to come to Cal but then we stopped calling him. Arroyo later called to apologize and said it was his fault. How does this not compute for you?

Last edited by The Duke!; 12-25-2012 at 11:59 AM.
  (#19) Old
Loyal Bear

12-25-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Yes. What is your point? Arroyo was the one calling the plays this year. Just because we had many other bad play callers in the past doesn't mean he was not a bad play caller this year (with the exception of 2 games). And in case you haven't been paying attention, our playbook was massive. He had the freedom to call the plays. And he picked plays that the other team saw coming from a mile away....
No, buddy -- there was still a mystery to who was calling the plays -- Michalczik or Arroyo. But since you're some Secret Squirrel behind the scenes maybe you can enlighten us. Even the Cal Radio B'casters gave their audience the impression that Arroyo was finally given a chance to call games starting with the UCLA game, not beforehand. It's still a mystery. There was even a Thread or two asking who was the true playcaller for Cal's offense. Nobody really knew.

Quote:
....Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He went 7-6 in 2009 and 3-9 in 2010. But totally. He is a good QB coach because one of his players had a slightly better than average year in 2009. Since then, they have all sucked. But man, oh man, that 2009 7-6 year was awesome for Arroyo!
+1 Despite your whiny sarcasm, I agree with you.

Arroyo also worked with Adam Trafalis and Kyle Reed at SJSU (squeezing more out of Kyle than Tedford ever did) doing a decent job with Reed and a great job with Trafalis. Trafalis had a very good 155.1 QB rating in 2006 (Aaron Rodgers' 154.3 in 2004) and won a rare bowl game for the Spartans.

So despite working for embattled, disrespected non-BCS Programs like SJSU and Wyoming, Arroyo has still produced two Bowl winning QBs under his tutelage and I bet SoMiss looked at his overall body of work (not just Cal) as a Coach and future potential when hiring him.

While letting down crybabies like you at bigshot BCS schools like Cal, non-BCS SoMiss might be Arroyo's type of environment and his comfort level. I wish him well....which is the true sentiment of this thread.

Quote:
Totally. The QB coach had nothing to do with both of our QBs sucking. Bridgford must have also been an awkward lefty.
Well, it appears you need to blame somebody. Cal QBs sucked BEFORE Arroyo came to Cal. Totally. Are you blaming Arroyo for them too? There's one common denominator all these years -- Jeff Tedford, QB Guru.

Quote:
You're the only one who sounds like he is crying. As for So. Miss -- are you really arguing that since a team offered him an OC job he must be good? Didn't we hire Ludwig
Ludwig did great this year at SDSU. Their win @ Boise was very impressive. No way was that the Cal-Ludwig. It was great playcalling and gameplanning from him that day. Boise hardly loses on the Blue...ever....but SDSU closed that game out brilliantly and went on to a Bowl Game.

Getting any job in D1A College Football is still a major compliment. Getting rehired is huge. But hey, you must be "big time", right?

Quote:
You are the only one who is crying. I am pleased as punch that he doesn't coach here anymore. But I am also happy that he found a good job. I wish him all the best going forward.
You're not happy for him. You're just being a crybaby trying to kick somebody who meant well for Cal on his way out the door so you'll feel better about being a Loser, football-wise.

Quote:
....Daniels said he wanted to come to Cal but then we stopped calling him. Arroyo later called to apologize and said it was his fault. How does this not compute for you?
How does TOSH LUPOI compute for you? He stole Shaq too. You're still crying over a local WR offered by USC and Notre Dame but somehow chose UW? Seriously. He chose UW over USC and Notre Dame and somehow Cal's recruiter assigned to him (Arroyo) is to blame for "losing" him? LOL! What a freakin' massive ego you have! Hilarious.

If DD says he wanted to play for Cal, maybe DD is just giving you the DJ Williams' routine (De La Salle great who chose ho-hum Miami over vaunted Cal) so we won't feel bad about him going to play for the now-hated Tosh. It helps soothe the feelings of crybabies who can't get over the fact that he really wanted to play for Tosh Lupoi.

So while you cry over losing DD, I'll cheer for Dannon Cavil and any WR who chooses to play for Cal between now and LOI Day. I love all the CalGang WRs of last year, but it appears we still need one top-flight WR on the par of DD so you can count all your toys by the fireplace and sleep at night. Hopefully Dykes and his boyz bring in a WR that can shut you up about "losing" DD to Tosh. If not, maybe Dannon has a better career than DD. Hope so.

Last edited by Our Domicile; 12-25-2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: still flabbergasted about big-timers
  (#20) Old
Real Bear

12-25-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
No, buddy -- there was still a mystery to who was calling the plays -- Michalczik or Arroyo. But since you're some Secret Squirrel behind the scenes maybe you can enlighten us. Even the Cal Radio B'casters gave their audience the impression that Arroyo was finally given a chance to call games starting with the UCLA game, not beforehand. It's still a mystery. There was even a Thread or two asking who was the true playcaller for Cal's offense. Nobody really knew.
It is not fun anymore to argue with someone who knows so little about Cal football. The entire board took notice when Tedford announced Arroyo was calling the plays this year after tOSU game. Coach M never had play calling duties.

Quote:
+1 Despite your whiny sarcasm, I agree with you.
Again, you are the only one crying. I am very happy. We got rid of a bad coach. He landed on his feet. And I'm leaving today for a weeklong trip to Italy. Trust me, I am not crying. I'm very happy.

Quote:
So despite working for embattled, disrespected non-BCS Programs like SJSU and Wyoming, Arroyo has still produced two Bowl winning QBs under his tutelage and I bet SoMiss looked at his overall body of work (not just Cal) as a Coach and future potential when hiring him.
Totally. SJSU is an embattled program. And QB play always sucks there. Of course.

Quote:
While letting down crybabies like you at bigshot BCS schools like Cal, non-BCS SoMiss might be Arroyo's type of environment and his comfort level. I wish him well....which is the true sentiment of this thread.
Again, you are the only one who appears to be crying. I'm quite happy for both Cal football and for Coach Arroyo that he has moved on. I've made that clear in all of my posts.

Quote:
Well, it appears you need to blame somebody. Cal QBs sucked BEFORE Arroyo came to Cal. Totally. Are you blaming Arroyo for them too? There's one common denominator all these years -- Jeff Tedford, QB Guru.
Wrong. Cal's QB's sometimes sucked before Arroyo came to Cal. But they always sucked since he arrived. I can't believe that you are still arguing that a position coach has nothing to do with both the starter and backup in his position group playing terribly.

Quote:
Ludwig did great this year at SDSU. Their win @ Boise was very impressive. No way was that the Cal-Ludwig. It was great playcalling and gameplanning from him that day. Boise hardly loses on the Blue...ever....but SDSU closed that game out brilliantly and went on to a Bowl Game.
Getting any job in D1A College Football is still a major compliment. Getting rehired is huge. But hey, you must be "big time", right?
Okay, two things: First, Ludwig was a terrible hire. The Oregon and Utah fans all mocked us for doing so. So my point is that just because a coach hires someone as his OC doesn't mean it was a good move. And second, this is a Cal football fan message board. This means that ordinary fans get to come on and express their opinions and provide evidence to support their opinions. I am not "big time" in any football sense, nor have I ever claimed to be. I am a Cal fan.

Quote:
You're not happy for him. You're just being a crybaby trying to kick somebody who meant well for Cal on his way out the door so you'll feel better about being a Loser, football-wise.
Yes I am. I am very happy for him. He seems like a nice guy and I wish him all the best. My only three issues with him as a Cal coach are that he never improved the performance of his unit, he was an extremely predictable playcaller outside of two games, and he made a serious organizational blunder that cost us a highly regarded recruit. But this has no effect on me wishing him a good career going forward at a different institution.

Quote:
How does TOSH LUPOI compute for you? He stole Shaq too. You're still crying over a local WR offered by USC and Notre Dame but somehow chose UW? Seriously. He chose UW over USC and Notre Dame and somehow Cal's recruiter assigned to him (Arroyo) is to blame for "losing" him? LOL! What a freakin' massive ego you have! Hilarious.
I don't "cry" when a 17 year old decides to play football at another school. Tosh did not "steal" him. He was never committed to us in the first place. But he was a Cal lean. Tosh didn't do anything dishonest or magical here. He simply offered him a scholarship and called him everyday. His coach has said that if Arroyo had done the same, he would have chosen Cal.

Quote:
So while you cry over losing DD, I'll cheer for Dannon Cavil and any WR who chooses to play for Cal between now and LOI Day. I love all the CalGang WRs of last year, but it appears we still need one top-flight WR on the par of DD so you can count all your toys by the fireplace and sleep at night. Hopefully Dykes and his boyz bring in a WR that can shut you up about "losing" DD to Tosh. If not, maybe Dannon has a better career than DD. Hope so.
I'm happy that Cavil chose Cal and wish him the best. My point is that according to the people who know what happened here, we would have had another highly rated WR if Coach Arroyo hadn't screwed up. How is it unfair to judge him for admittedly screwing up a highly ranked recruit?

Seriously, are you okay? Why are you so upset that I disagree with you over how skilled our former QB coach is? I hope you are okay and not going through some sort of personal crisis.

Last edited by The Duke!; 12-25-2012 at 09:51 PM.
  (#21) Old
Loyal Bear

12-25-2012, 10:08 PM

can u guys PM each other? enjoy the last 47 minutes of christmas!
  (#22) Old
Loyal Bear

QB from Concord HS... - 12-25-2012, 10:22 PM

S. Miss. is where that phenom QB from Concord High School, Ricky Lloyd, went a couple of years ago. It'll be interesting to see how that turns out.