aaron rodgers' future is in jeopardy

14,329 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by okaydo
01Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oskidunker said:

He just seems more natural and the most like Alex.

Disagree 100%! He sounded stilted and uncomfortable. The most natural host so far has been Jeopardy's executive producer Mike Richards.

Aaron Rodgers needs to loosen up a bit. He needs to follow the advice of a certain Green Bay quarterback who wisely told his teammates to "Relaaax." You can tell he's trying to do his best Alex Trebek impression, but that's not who he is. He's Aaron Rodgers. He needs to be Aaron Rodgers on the show. Other than that, he's doing a fine job.
01Bear
I'm loving how in the games he's hosted these two days, Aaron Rodgers has slipped a "Go Bears!" in each day. I hope Brandon Deutsch continues his winning streak, just so we can hear "Go Bears!" on _Jeopardy_ everyday!
okaydo

Bearly Clad
I think Ken Jennings is a low-ceiling high-floor host. He seems the most like Trebek since he was on the show so many times that he's been the best so far at recreating the way Alex ran the show. I think there are lots of people who would be better once they had time to settle into the job.

Personally I'm still holding out hope that Will Ferrell takes over as host even though he's a trojan. He was great on the SNL celebrity jeopardy, his banter would be much more fun than Jennings, even really famous comedians used to go on and host shows all the time and it's not like he's been in anything good recently. The last two movies I saw Will Ferrell in were a skiing movie with Julia Lois-Dreyfus and one about a European song competition with Rachel McAdams and both of them were godawful movies.

To get back on track though, this new Jeopardy host has the Max Homa stamp of approval
01Bear
Bearly Clad said:

I think Ken Jennings is a low-ceiling high-floor host. He seems the most like Trebek since he was on the show so many times that he's been the best so far at recreating the way Alex ran the show. I think there are lots of people who would be better once they had time to settle into the job.

Personally I'm still holding out hope that Will Ferrell takes over as host even though he's a trojan. He was great on the SNL celebrity jeopardy, his banter would be much more fun than Jennings, even really famous comedians used to go on and host shows all the time and it's not like he's been in anything good recently. The last two movies I saw Will Ferrell in were a skiing movie with Julia Lois-Dreyfus and one about a European song competition with Rachel McAdams and both of them were godawful movies.

To get back on track though, this new Jeopardy host has the Max Homa stamp of approval

Ken Jennings is like Alex Trebek in that they both bring a wealth of personal knowledge to the show. Beyond that, though, the similarities end. Jennings lacks Trebek's charm and warmth as a host. As a contestant, sure, he had his moments. However, that's different than being the host.

One of the many things Trebek's did so well on the show was to help the contestants shine, which is one the reasons why Ken Jennings became so popular (obviously, his record winning streak and subsequent appearances as a featured contestant on the show helped with this as well). Jennings did not exhibit that same ability as host. It's the difference between being a good straight man and the funny man. Any reasonably funny person with good timing can be the funny man, but it takes more skill to be a straight man. The latter has to be able to set up the punchline so the former can shine.

Of the guest hosts since Alex Trebek's passing, Mike Richards has come closest to bringing that same level of warmth and straight man ability, IMHO. But that's to be expected since he is a former game show host. He already has those tools. The next best guest host in this respect is Katie Couric, who honed similar skills on the _Today_ show.
oskidunker
I thought Katie Couric was my least favorite
Go Bears!
01Bear
oskidunker said:

Dr. Oz was my least favorite.
oskidunker
01Bear said:

oskidunker said:

Didnt see him but you are probably right. What is the purpose of all these guest hosts? Are they going to survey viewers? Just pick someone my god get a search firm. Knowlton knows one.
Go Bears!
okaydo
oskidunker said:

01Bear said:

oskidunker said:

Didnt see him but you are probably right. What is the purpose of all these guest hosts? Are they going to survey viewers? Just pick someone my god get a search firm. Knowlton knows one.

Ehh....you want somebody who works. If you pick somebody right away, then they'll be living in Trebek's shadow. This way, you put some distance between his death and the next permanent host. And you get to see how people actually perform

A day or so after Alex Trebek's death, The New York Post floated George Stephanoupoulos as Trebek's permanent replacement, reporting that he's been lobbying for the gig. Heck, Howard Stern, who's friends with George, has been plugging him for the gig for a few years now.

What if they just immediately named Stephanoupoulos as the new host and he was terrible and/or viewers hated him?

This isn't like Drew Carey replacing Bob Barker. (Jeopardy executive producer Mike Richards, incidentally, lost out to Carey for that job, but ended up becoming The Price is Right's executive producer.)
harebear
BearForce2
Bobodeluxe said:

The reviews are in
Was he "horrible"?
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
01Bear
okaydo said:

oskidunker said:

01Bear said:

oskidunker said:

Ehh....you want somebody who works. If you pick somebody right away, then they'll be living in Trebek's shadow. This way, you put some distance between his death and the next permanent host. And you get to see how people actually perform

A day or so after Alex Trebek's death, The New York Post floated George Stephanoupoulos as Trebek's permanent replacement, reporting that he's been lobbying for the gig. Heck, Howard Stern, who's friends with George, has been plugging him for the gig for a few years now.

What if they just immediately named Stephanoupoulos as the new host and he was terrible and/or viewers hated him?

This isn't like Drew Carey replacing Bob Barker. (Jeopardy executive producer Mike Richards, incidentally, lost out to Carey for that job, but ended up becoming The Price is Right's executive producer.)

I agree with okaydo. It's likely to put some distance between the new host and Alex Trebek. Additionally, there was a groundswell of support for Levar Burton to be the next _Jeopardy_ host in the aftermath of Trebek's death. The producers of the show and ABC probably didn't want to alienate viewers who supported Burton as host by immediately handing the job to someone else.

As such, I'm skeptical the show's producers do not have a permanent host lined up. I highly suspect the use of guest hosts is intended to do all of the above as well as to drive ratings (the novelty of the guest host probably helps draw in new viewers).

Still, there's a part of me hoping that these guest hosts are essentially auditioning to be the new host. If so, I'm hoping Aaron Rodgers gets the position, just so we can hear him say "Go Bears!" on the show. He's been a guest host for three episodes now, he's said it all three times! I'm also hoping to hear him say "Suck it Furd!" but that might be a little too over the top.
B.A. Bearacus
79 Bear
AR doing a great job! More Cal mentions and having some laughs with the contestants and the audience. Loving it.
okaydo

okaydo
okaydo

okaydo
79 Bear
okaydo said:

So funny. We watch him every night.
okaydo

Eastern Oregon Bear
01Bear said:

okaydo said:

oskidunker said:

01Bear said:

oskidunker said:

I agree with okaydo. It's likely to put some distance between the new host and Alex Trebek. Additionally, there was a groundswell of support for Levar Burton to be the next _Jeopardy_ host in the aftermath of Trebek's death. The producers of the show and ABC probably didn't want to alienate viewers who supported Burton as host by immediately handing the job to someone else.

As such, I'm skeptical the show's producers do not have a permanent host lined up. I highly suspect the use of guest hosts is intended to do all of the above as well as to drive ratings (the novelty of the guest host probably helps draw in new viewers).

Still, there's a part of me hoping that these guest hosts are essentially auditioning to be the new host. If so, I'm hoping Aaron Rodgers gets the position, just so we can hear him say "Go Bears!" on the show. He's been a guest host for three episodes now, he's said it all three times! I'm also hoping to hear him say "Suck it Furd!" but that might be a little too over the top.
Why was there a groundswell for Levar Burton to be the next host? That seems pretty random. I don't watch Jeopardy, so maybe that's why I don't get it. Not that I have anything against Levar Burton.
01Bear
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

01Bear said:

okaydo said:

oskidunker said:

01Bear said:

oskidunker said:

Why was there a groundswell for Levar Burton to be the next host? That seems pretty random. I don't watch Jeopardy, so maybe that's why I don't get it. Not that I have anything against Levar Burton.

In part because he was the host of the beloved kids show _Reading_Rainbow_ and in part because he played Geordi LaForge on _Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation_. The former made him popular among later Gen Xers, Gen Yers, and early Millenials. The latter made him popular among Trekkies of those generations, as well. In any case, these roles made him someone who represented knowledge, as a host introducing kids to books or as an engineer on a science fiction show.

Also, his warm and welcoming demeanor in _Reading_Rainbow_ is very similar to that of the late Alex Trebek. "But you don't have to take my word for it."

okaydo

01Bear said:

okaydo said:

oskidunker said:

01Bear said:

oskidunker said:

A petition has been signed by 235,000 people. I don't know if that's a lot or a little.

Of course I think he should be given a shot at guest-hosting.

But now he's given a series of interviews in the past week where he's essentially saying, "I'm the only person qualified to do this job. It should be mine." I don't know if that's a good look. Again, they should've absolutely had him as a guest-host.

Here are the list of guest-hosts:

1. Ken Jennings
2. Mike Richards
3. Katie Couric
4. Dr. Oz
5. Aaron Rodgers
6. Anderson Cooper
7. Bill Whitaker
8. Buzzy Cohen
9. Mayim Bialik
10. Savannah Guthrie
11. Dr. Sanjay Gupta

And that'll take them through the week of the Fourth of July.

I think I read somewhere that they may have a permanent host in place by this fall.

calbear80
I watched Aaron Rogers "host" the Jeopardy last night and he did very well. He may have a future doing this after his Football career is over (and, hopefully, after he has won one more Super Bowl).

Go Bears!
okaydo

79 Bear
He has actually said he would like to do both football and host Jeopardy. Some of the sports guys I watch in the morning (Mike Greenberg on Get Up and Steven A. Smith on First Take) and their guests think he could do it and some even suggest he should say Adios' to Green Bay and take the gig on Jeopardy if they offer it to him. According to Steven A. Smith, Judge Judy makes $40M/year. I don't know what the host of Jeopardy might make but I believe $40M is more than AR makes now, plus it's a part-time gig and you don't have guys like Aaron Donald, Myles Garrett and Ndomakungh Suh trying to knock you silly.
okaydo
79 Bear said:

He has actually said he would like to do both football and host Jeopardy. Some of the sports guys I watch in the morning (Mike Greenberg on Get Up and Steven A. Smith on First Take) and their guests think he could do it and some even suggest he should say Adios' to Green Bay and take the gig on Jeopardy if they offer it to him. According to Steven A. Smith, Judge Judy makes $40M/year. I don't know what the host of Jeopardy might make but I believe $40M is more than AR makes now, plus it's a part-time gig and you don't have guys like Aaron Donald, Myles Garrett and Ndomakungh Suh trying to knock you silly.

Judge Judy made so much because she's the No. 1 star of daytime TV and because she's the star of the show. (She's actually walking away from the show to make even more money by rebooting it.)

Aaron Rodgers isn't the star of Jeopardy. The format is. Alex Trebek reportedly earned $10 million a year. I doubt Rodgers would get that much.

Judge Judy can't go on without Judy.

Jeopardy can survive without Rodgers or Trebek.
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Bear8
At my father-in-law's house last week and the issue of Jeopardy came up. He lives with a lovely woman of 85 named Carol (my father-in-law is 95). As the discussion grew, Carol offered her opinion. She thought Aaron was wonderful and "he's so cute." If the female audience has any say in the ultimate choice you are not going to find another man who harpoons a woman's heart like AR. I wonder if Shailene Woodley is suggesting he walk away from the NFL while he has all his limbs in place and the other Aaron (Donald) hasn't crushed him?
EC bear
Loved Aaron's dumping on Leland Stanford for final jeopardy
01Bear
EC bear said:

Same!

Man, I really want to see him get the gig now just so we can see him give more shoutouts to Cal and dump on the Furd.
socaltownie
01Bear said:

EC bear said:

Same!

Man, I really want to see him get the gig now just so we can see him give more shoutouts to Cal and dump on the Furd.
I was doing my Cal score a touchdown dance after that last dig. It was EPIC!!!
BearForce2
01Bear said:

EC bear said:

Same!

Furd alum weak like Adam Schiff and Rachell Maddow. Cal Strong agree, yes?
JSC 76
By the way ... I knew the answer, but none of the contestants did. It may be because for a native Californian, the history of the Central Pacific Railroad and the Big Four is more widely known. I don't think any of the 3 were Californians. (And Brigham Young was a good guess.)
okaydo
okaydo said:

01Bear said:

okaydo said:

oskidunker said:

01Bear said:

oskidunker said:

A petition has been signed by 235,000 people. I don't know if that's a lot or a little.

Of course I think he should be given a shot at guest-hosting.

But now he's given a series of interviews in the past week where he's essentially saying, "I'm the only person qualified to do this job. It should be mine." I don't know if that's a good look. Again, they should've absolutely had him as a guest-host.

Here are the list of guest-hosts:

1. Ken Jennings
2. Mike Richards
3. Katie Couric
4. Dr. Oz
5. Aaron Rodgers
6. Anderson Cooper
7. Bill Whitaker
8. Buzzy Cohen
9. Mayim Bialik
10. Savannah Guthrie
11. Dr. Sanjay Gupta

And that'll take them through the week of the Fourth of July.

I think I read somewhere that they may have a permanent host in place by this fall.

Hmmm

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.