Goff trade?

45,740 Views | 287 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bearister
philbert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've said it before, but Goff and the Rams offense looked a hell of a lot better when he had the All-Pro Gurley at RB. Once Gurley got injured, Goff became a lot more average looking.

Because Shanahan seems to be able to turn very average RBs into productive players, you'd think Goff would look pretty good as a 9er.
Bobodeluxe
Sonny made fools of the Rams.
Bearly Clad
I used games for Jimmy G and starts for Goff since Jared has been a starter since his rookie year and Garoppolo spent 3 seasons as a backup. Jimmy played in 18 games (with two starts) with the Pats, I wasn't trying to compare apples and oranges but otherwise Jimmy is 30 years old with only 32 career starts and that sounded even worse
Bearly Clad
I honestly think it's the OL and deep threat WR more than the RB situation
philbert
Bearly Clad said:

I honestly think it's the OL and deep threat WR more than the RB situation
I think that definitely feeds into it, but I recall in their SB year that the offense became a lot less efficient when Gurley "slowed down" and got less productive. They never said he was injured, but it was clear that something was wrong. I didn't follow them closely enough to know if they had OL injuries at the same time that year.

Bearly Clad
You're not wrong, but after Gurley slowed down and got hurt in '18 the Rams signed CJ Anderson who ran for 140 yards/game in his first 3 games (including one playoff game) so the Rams were still getting RB production post Gurley injury.

The Rams were also missing Kupp the back half of that season (he missed 11 of the last 13 games) which contributed to the offensive slowdown, especially when they almost exclusively ran 3 WR sets that season and only had Josh Reynolds to replace him with. Before the Kupp injury Goff had 4/10 games with under 300 passing yards and after that he had 7/9 games under 300 passing yards. The Rams offense went for 30+ points in 8/10 games that season with Kupp and in only 5/9 games without him
Bearly Clad
Accidental double post so here's a bear on a bicycle
okaydo
I think Goff is hampered by the perception -- true or not -- that he is a robot QB and McVay is playing Madden with him. Thus McVay gets the bullk of the credit when Goff looks good, and Goff gets all of the blame when he looks bad.

That kind of relationship/perception isn't healthy.

To grow, Goff needs to get out of there. His rookie year will always overshadow him, even though his offensive coordinator had approximately 4 games NFL experience at OC and his QB coach was in his second year.
bipolarbear
Bobodeluxe said:

And made generational wealth for Goff.
philbert
Bobodeluxe said:

I doubt the Eagles are any happier with Wentz.
calumnus
bipolarbear said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Ahem, the board party line is that it was Goff that made the Sonny/Franklin offense look good, not the other way around.

In a way, Goff reminds me of Alex Smith. Picked too high at #1 partly due to the offense he played in college but a decent enough QB to stick around in the league and win if on the right team, but not a guy who can carry a franchise on his back (like Rodgers has had to do). I was both happy and apprehensive when Goff went to my childhood team, the LA Rams, and both those feelings have been justified.
71Bear
calumnus said:

bipolarbear said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Ahem, the board party line is that it was Goff that made the Sonny/Franklin offense look good, not the other way around.

In a way, Goff reminds me of Alex Smith. Picked too high at #1 partly due to the offense he played in college but a decent enough QB to stick around in the league and win if on the right team, but not a guy who can carry a franchise on his back (like Rodgers has had to do). I was both happy and apprehensive when Goff went to my childhood team, the LA Rams, and both those feelings have been justified.
Goff and Smith have a lot in common - neither possessed the attitude necessary to handle the pressure of being the #1. Both are solid but not franchise QB's. Both are good guys who are, as Scotty said many times, "...doing the best I can".

It takes a unique talent to succeed as the #1. Peyton Manning is the best example of a guy with the temperament and skills to handle the pressure. Rodgers is another guy who had he been the #1 would have flourished.

BearGoggles
Goff has one problem - turnovers. He often holds the ball too long which causes fumbles and a few forced throws when under pressure. The frustration with him is that these issues are getting worse (or at least not getting better).

I don't think McVay and the Rams have done him many favors. The offense is often predictable and play calling is often confounding. They asked Goff to roll out and throw on the run and I don't think that's a strength. Also, if you have a qb that doesn't do well under pressure, it makes sense to upgrade the OL - which they have not. They also traded away the only wr who were deep threats (Watkins/Cooks).

The ultimate irony is that Goff played very well in the loss to GB and it was the defense that let the team down. Yet now somehow he's the scapegoat?

BearSD
okaydo said:

I think Goff is hampered by the perception -- true or not -- that he is a robot QB and McVay is playing Madden with him. Thus McVay gets the bullk of the credit when Goff looks good, and Goff gets all of the blame when he looks bad.

That kind of relationship/perception isn't healthy.

To grow, Goff needs to get out of there. His rookie year will always overshadow him, even though his offensive coordinator had approximately 4 games NFL experience at OC and his QB coach was in his second year.
Goff is definitely hampered by that perception. McVay's ego is so massive, and so frequently fed by lapdog sportswriters, that he believes he is 0% to blame for any of the Rams' shortcomings and that Goff is 100% to blame, despite abundant evidence to the contrary.

heartofthebear
WalterSobchak said:

I think NO would be the perfect landing spot for Goff.
True but I can also see Goff approving a trade to SF.

Would LA want Garrapolo or Brees
okaydo
Yeah, I'm wondering. Why are the hanging Goff out to dry so blatantly? Just seems weird.

ColoradoBear
Bobodeluxe said:

Rams extended Goff after their super bowl year. If they have any regrets, it's their own fault, not a college coach years before.

I'm actually not quite sure why the Rams and Eagles extended both Goff and Wentz early but still ended up with contracts favoring the players so much.

IMO, the Rams are signaling they will make a favorable deal to get Goff out of there. They know their cap situation and how much dead cap money is tied up in Goff and continue to let rumors fly. I think there is an opportunity to get him essentially for FREE due to the Rams/mcVay's hubris.

If you are a team with cap space, why not offer a couple 3rd or 4th rounders... seems way better than trading a #1 for Stafford. Rams absolutely can not take much back in player salary, so the only currency is draft picks, or young players under a rookie deal.
philbert
ColoradoBear said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Rams extended Goff after their super bowl year. If they have any regrets, it's their own fault, not a college coach years before.

I'm actually not quite sure why the Rams and Eagles extended both Goff and Wentz early but still ended up with contracts favoring the players so much.

IMO, the Rams are signaling they will make a favorable deal to get Goff out of there. They know their cap situation and how much dead cap money is tied up in Goff and continue to let rumors fly. I think there is an opportunity to get him essentially for FREE due to the Rams/mcVay's hubris.

If you are a team with cap space, why not offer a couple 3rd or 4th rounders... seems way better than trading a #1 for Stafford. Rams absolutely can not take much back in player salary, so the only currency is draft picks, or young players under a rookie deal.
The problem for the Rams (and 49ers and Raiders) is if you dump your current QB, who are you getting to replace him with? None of those teams have lots of draft capital to make a significant trade. Maybe you could get a Stafford, but I'm not 100% sure he's worth it. Is he enough of a difference maker that he'd win you a SB? I have my doubts.
helltopay1
FWIW, Jimmy is popular with his teammates. ( not a small consideration)
WalterSobchak
heartofthebear said:

WalterSobchak said:

My comment is contingent on Brees retiring as per expectations.
If he doesn't, NO isn't a good spot for Goff bc they have their QB.
There's no way NO trades Brees if he comes back.
Give to Cal Legends! https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
ColoradoBear
WalterSobchak said:

heartofthebear said:

WalterSobchak said:

Brees (and Deshaun Watson) has a no trade clause - he can't be traded anywhere he doesn't want to go. The Rams can trade Goff wherever they want.

The real issue with NO is they are projected to be $112 million over the cap in 2021, as in they have cut/trade a ton of players. They won't be the same for many years, which might be contributing to Brees' retirement decision. Why come back if they have zero chance?

With Brees retiring, NO gets back $25 million, so they'd only be $87 million over the cap.
okaydo
helltopay1 said:

Goff is friends with the head coach of the Bay Area's most popular team. That will go a long way in becoming popular.
ColoradoBear
okaydo said:

helltopay1 said:

Goff is friends with the head coach of the Bay Area's most popular team. That will go a long way in becoming popular.

Would that be:

Justin Wilcox?

Or

Steve Kerr?
flounder
just be honest and accept that Goff is mediocre at best and should never have gone number 1.
79 Bear
Games like this suggest otherwise:
heartofthebear
WalterSobchak said:

heartofthebear said:

WalterSobchak said:

Makes sense: I'm wondering if the early playoff exit might affect Brees' decision. He's in better shape than Rothlesberger--of course everyone is--but he didn't look as good as Rivers late in the season. And Rivers retired. But Rivers retired for reasons other than his ability to keep playing.

Anyway, if Brees thinks he can get to the SB next season with NO, then I think he stays playing for at least 1 more. That will be one story we'll have to watch. I think Stafford to NO could be a good fit as well.

bearister
"He's in better shape than Rothlesberger...."

When Armageddon comes, and 99% of the population is deceased, Ben will roam the landscape foraging for food, petrol and female companionship.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
ColoradoBear said:

okaydo said:

helltopay1 said:

Would that be:

Justin Wilcox?

Or

Steve Kerr?

Justin Wilcox?!? Hilarious!

(Has Goff even met Wilcox?)
heartofthebear
bearister said:

"He's in better shape than Rothlesberger...."

When Armageddon comes, and 99% of the population is deceased, Ben will roam the landscape foraging for food, petrol and female companionship.

LOL
Ben could starve for a year and still have calories left over to burn.
bearister
" On Monday, June 12, 2006, at 11:17 a.m. EDT (UTC-4), Roethlisberger was involved in a motorcycle accident at the intersection of the Armstrong Tunnel and Second Avenue near downtown Pittsburgh, in which he was not wearing his helmet. Roethlisberger did not have a valid Pennsylvania motorcycle license at the time of the accident, only a temporary permit that he had obtained after moving to Pittsburgh which had expired in March.[294]

Roethlisberger was traveling east on Second Avenue when a Chrysler New Yorker made a left turn in front of the motorcycle and onto the South Tenth Street Bridge[295] when the accident occurred. According to an eyewitness, Roethlisberger went over the handlebars of his bike, a 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa,[296] shattering the windshield of the car with his head. The eyewitness reports claimed Roethlisberger tried to get up but was bleeding from the head.[297] Reports from the scene and news media indicated that the accident was serious but "not life- or career-threatening," though Roethlisberger would later relate in interviews that paramedics on the scene stopped the bleeding in his throat just in time to save his life....

... Police sources have indicated that Roethlisberger suffered fractures to the jaw and right sinus cavity, as well as a nine-inch laceration to the back of the head, the loss of two teeth, and several chipped teeth. His facial injuries were severe enough that witnesses on the scene did not immediately recognize him, even after he identified himself as "Ben."[300]

Upon arriving at Mercy Hospital, he went immediately into surgery, where he remained for more than seven hours.." Wikipedia
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
heartofthebear
ColoradoBear said:

WalterSobchak said:

heartofthebear said:

WalterSobchak said:

Brees (and Deshaun Watson) has a no trade clause - he can't be traded anywhere he doesn't want to go. The Rams can trade Goff wherever they want.

The real issue with NO is they are projected to be $112 million over the cap in 2021, as in they have cut/trade a ton of players. They won't be the same for many years, which might be contributing to Brees' retirement decision. Why come back if they have zero chance?

With Brees retiring, NO gets back $25 million, so they'd only be $87 million over the cap.

Oh yeah, I forgot that. I don't think they can afford Brees or Watson.
heartofthebear
bearister said:

" On Monday, June 12, 2006, at 11:17 a.m. EDT (UTC-4), Roethlisberger was involved in a motorcycle accident at the intersection of the Armstrong Tunnel and Second Avenue near downtown Pittsburgh, in which he was not wearing his helmet. Roethlisberger did not have a valid Pennsylvania motorcycle license at the time of the accident, only a temporary permit that he had obtained after moving to Pittsburgh which had expired in March.[294]

Roethlisberger was traveling east on Second Avenue when a Chrysler New Yorker made a left turn in front of the motorcycle and onto the South Tenth Street Bridge[295] when the accident occurred. According to an eyewitness, Roethlisberger went over the handlebars of his bike, a 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa,[296] shattering the windshield of the car with his head. The eyewitness reports claimed Roethlisberger tried to get up but was bleeding from the head.[297] Reports from the scene and news media indicated that the accident was serious but "not life- or career-threatening," though Roethlisberger would later relate in interviews that paramedics on the scene stopped the bleeding in his throat just in time to save his life....

... Police sources have indicated that Roethlisberger suffered fractures to the jaw and right sinus cavity, as well as a nine-inch laceration to the back of the head, the loss of two teeth, and several chipped teeth. His facial injuries were severe enough that witnesses on the scene did not immediately recognize him, even after he identified himself as "Ben."[300]

Upon arriving at Mercy Hospital, he went immediately into surgery, where he remained for more than seven hours.." Wikipedia
Didn't know this. I feel sorry for the vehicle he hit...with his head.
Bearly Clad
That car was innocent, that's more than we can say for ben
heartofthebear
Bearly Clad said:

That car was innocent, that's more than we can say for ben
Vehicles are innocent until proven guilty...unless they are black.
Golden One
Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan are both way overrated by the media. Both have a boring offensive scheme and predictable play calling. They would make Patrick Mahomes play as a pure drop-back QB.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.