Goff trade?

45,849 Views | 287 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bearister
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?

oski003
Goff just got screwed. Detroit had a poor O Line but good receivers in Golladay and Jones Jr. Both just left in free agency.
okaydo
GivemTheAxe
bonsallbear said:

This is an interesting article but I need to ask a few questions. Do you really want to trade for a quarterback that is significantly older? Do you really want a "gun slinger " as your quarterback? Is Jared Goff responsible for play design and calling the plays? And lastly, would it help Jared if he had a Megatron type receiver to throw to?

I think the Rams will be just fine with Jared as their quarterback. He's young, and he still learning the position. Remember, the Rams o-line is still somewhat young and lacking in experience. This showed up in their in inability to pass protect. And please please draft or trade for a big fast wide receiver that can stretch the field.

The running backs look to be a solid group but they also need to learn how to pass protect. They are young and they will get better.

I watched a number (not all) of the Rams games.
From those that I viewed, it appeared to me that:1. Rams' Oline left a lot to be desired;2 Rams' receivers were not very good. 3. Rams' running game was not very consistent.
Maybe the new QB might be able to buy a little time with his legs. But I am not so sure that this is a sure thing with a QB who is 7 years older than Goff. And it doesn't help if the receivers have hands of stone.
bearister
New QB gets McVay fired.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
calumnus
bearister said:

New QB gets McVay fired.

Would have loved to see Goff throwing long to DeSean, but now my rekindled Rams fandom is gone. I'll be rooting for all the Cal alums individually, but I am once again looking for an NFL team that I root for. Definitely the Lions. Maybe the Chargers or SF if they play Lance. Best for me is Rodgers in Vegas.
okaydo
71Bear
okaydo said:

Wow. Compare that to Wilson, Stafford, Murray and Jimmy G. In the NFC West. Quite a difference....
Youngbearcub89
okaydo said:

I'm not sure who this guy is, but I assume okaydo posted this so that we can mock the list; Goff at 7??!! Behind 3 guys who haven't played a down in the NFL, Kirk Cousins and Andy Dalton?? At least Foles won a Super Bowl, but come on! I'm sure my Cal bias is playing a factor here, but I can't take this list seriously. Goff was not that great last year, but this is ridiculous.
71Bear
Youngbearcub89 said:

okaydo said:

I'm not sure who this guy is, but I assume okaydo posted this so that we can mock the list; Goff at 7??!! Behind 3 guys who haven't played a down in the NFL, Kirk Cousins and Andy Dalton?? At least Foles won a Super Bowl, but come on! I'm sure my Cal bias is playing a factor here, but I can't take this list seriously. Goff was not that great last year, but this is ridiculous.
Well... His list is receiving feedback, right? That is the objective. Had he posted the usual suspects in the usual order, no one would give it a second glance.

This falls under the old axiom, "I don't care what you say about me, just spell my name right."

Brilliant, everyone who posts a response (including us) fell for his carefully orchestrated ruse...
Bearly Clad
He works in fantasy football which really skews peoples' perceptions of what a good football player is; it's the equivalent of basketball fans who only follow the sport through box scores and social media (that might not be you or me but it's a shocking percentage of NBA fans), fantasy football is such a moneymaker for the league that it gets way too much attention and then it convinces people to overrate mediocre players -- especially on bad teams.

Don't get too worked up over this, he's a Bears fan so this is almost 100% a joke anyway. I mean he has Chicago's 3rd string QB as the 4th best in the conference, he's just ****ing around and it's also probably a little bit of a troll job since if Aaron leaves the NFC North Jared is the best QB in the division (or 1A/1B with one of the good Kirk Cousins years)
Bearly Clad
Oh it's fun as hell, I love playing fantasy. And you're definitely right that it's a great way to get to know rosters much better than most people normally would. It for sure ****s with fans' heads though, just look at Kyler Murray. I really like Murray, he hasn't been bad, and he has insane potential but fantasy football has convinced some folks that he's an elite QB and he just isn't yet
okaydo
Youngbearcub89 said:

okaydo said:

I was going to post the following with the tweet, but opted against it: My point is that 4 years ago, Goff was deemed a piece of (bleep). And 4 years later, he is viewed as a piece of (bleep). And that's why I'm rooting for him.

Bearly Clad
Real talk, it's enough to give someone flashbacks to Russell Wilson against the Harbaugh Niners
71Bear
Sather Tower said:

Bearly Clad said:

Oh it's fun as hell, I love playing fantasy. And you're definitely right that it's a great way to get to know rosters much better than most people normally would. It for sure ****s with fans' heads though, just look at Kyler Murray. I really like Murray, he hasn't been bad, and he has insane potential but fantasy football has convinced some folks that he's an elite QB and he just isn't yet
He sure has given the 49ers fits though.
SF has won three of four v. Arizona since Murray arrived in Phoenix. I'll take 75% wins in any scenario.
sycasey
Sather Tower said:

Bearly Clad said:

He sure has given the 49ers fits though.
He also lost to them at home in a must-win game late in the season, while the Niners were playing C.J. Beathard at QB.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/401220337

If the Cardinals had won this game they would have made the playoffs.
BearGoggles
I'll go on record. I think Goff ends up having a pretty good year, better than expected.

Unlike the Rams, the Lions are building a team around Goff that gives him a good chance to succeed. Strong OL headlined by a franchise type of LT they just drafted, power running game, and some improving talent. And the lions are set to improve quickly though admittedly Goff may not be part of the long term plan if he doesn't play well.

Meanwhile, the rams have done nothing to address the OL. Stafford might an upgrade (maybe), but he's likely to get broken due to the awful pass protection. And rather than protect him, the Rams draft more wrs and rbs they don't really need. They sign/overpay Desean and then use their first pick to draft a younger smaller version of him. Makes no sense.

And regarding the rankings posted above, those are fantasy rankings. I think the lions will run the ball a lot and expect Goff to be efficient but not put up big fantasy numbers. Even then, the rankings seem absurd.
Bearly Clad
I agree, I think he has an efficient season passing and he's being set up to overperform expectations. A lot of people are down on Jared and nothing except a successful season will change any minds but expectations for the Lions are also rock bottom. Last year Detroit went 5-11 and half of their games were decided by one TD or less. They improved this offseason and I've seen their over-under set at 5 games.

Better coaching, front office, and overall talent; specifically their DL is better, OL is better, RB room is better, and I would argue that their QB is better. TE is a push with Hockenson still on the roster but little depth behind him (they signed Fells today). DB unit should be improved between coaching and a year of growth from Okudah but it's still a question mark at this point. LBs were godawful last year so they probably can't be any worse but at least they're much more athletic as a unit than last season.

The one position that took a massive hit was WR where they lost 5 of their top 6 from last season including Marvin Jones Jr. and Kenny Golladay, they did get much faster as a WR corps. but that's not nearly enough to offset the loss in talent.

I just don't see the Lions repeating as a 5 win squad this year with how improved they are as an organization from top to bottom, especially with an extra 17th game to work with. Division games are always close, last year they played the Packers close, went down to the wire against the Vikings, and split two tight games against the Bears. If the Lions win just two division games I don't see them going 3-8 against a schedule that includes the Falcons, Bengals, Eagles, Broncos, Cardinals, and 49ers. I don't really care what their final record is, I just want to see Jared beat the Rams in LA and if he could do the same to the Hawks in Seattle that's just icing on the cake
calumnus
Bearly Clad said:

I agree, I think he has an efficient season passing and he's being set up to overperform expectations. A lot of people are down on Jared and nothing except a successful season will change any minds but expectations for the Lions are also rock bottom. Last year Detroit went 5-11 and half of their games were decided by one TD or less. They improved this offseason and I've seen their over-under set at 5 games.

Better coaching, front office, and overall talent; specifically their DL is better, OL is better, RB room is better, and I would argue that their QB is better. TE is a push with Hockenson still on the roster but little depth behind him (they signed Fells today). DB unit should be improved between coaching and a year of growth from Okudah but it's still a question mark at this point. LBs were godawful last year so they probably can't be any worse but at least they're much more athletic as a unit than last season.

The one position that took a massive hit was WR where they lost 5 of their top 6 from last season including Marvin Jones Jr. and Kenny Golladay, they did get much faster as a WR corps. but that's not nearly enough to offset the loss in talent.

I just don't see the Lions repeating as a 5 win squad this year with how improved they are as an organization from top to bottom, especially with an extra 17th game to work with. Division games are always close, last year they played the Packers close, went down to the wire against the Vikings, and split two tight games against the Bears. If the Lions win just two division games I don't see them going 3-8 against a schedule that includes the Falcons, Bengals, Eagles, Broncos, Cardinals, and 49ers. I don't really care what their final record is, I just want to see Jared beat the Rams in LA and if he could do the same to the Rams in Seattle that's just icing on the cake

It would be great if he could get wins against the Rams, Seahawks, Niners and 2 against the Rodgersless Packers.
71Bear
calumnus said:

Bearly Clad said:

I just don't see the Lions repeating as a 5 win squad this year with how improved they are as an organization from top to bottom, especially with an extra 17th game to work with. Division games are always close, last year they played the Packers close, went down to the wire against the Vikings, and split two tight games against the Bears. If the Lions win just two division games I don't see them going 3-8 against a schedule that includes the Falcons, Bengals, Eagles, Broncos, Cardinals, and 49ers. I don't really care what their final record is, I just want to see Jared beat the Rams in LA and if he could do the same to the Rams in Seattle that's just icing on the cake

It would be great if he could get wins against the Rams, Seahawks, Niners and 2 against the Rodgersless Packers.
Wow! I would like to take the "ain't gonna happen" for a $1000, please.

calumnus
71Bear said:

calumnus said:

Bearly Clad said:

Lol, I did say "it would be great if" just like it would be great if I could eat and drink all I want and lose weight. It would be great if I won the lottery.
71Bear
calumnus said:

71Bear said:

calumnus said:

Bearly Clad said:

Lol, I did say "it would be great if" just like it would be great if I could eat and drink all I want and lose weight. It would be great if I won the lottery.
And it would be great if Cal wins the Rose Bowl. Heck, I would give that better odds than the Lions beating the three NFC West teams you mentioned...
okaydo
philbert
We'll see if he performs any better, although I don't really think they gave him enough receivers.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31591502/jared-goff-says-feels-empowered-detroit-lions-coaches
okaydo
71Bear
okaydo said:

Well, he got #1 right.....
WalterSobchak
This list is so bad it's not even worth commenting on.
bearister
Derek Carr's name on the list discredits it from the get go.
StillNoStanfurdium
Seems like a good time to bump this. I'll the first to say that I firmly believed that the only way the Rams won this trade is if they won the Super Bowl. Looks like it certainly wasn't a bad move for them in hindsight.

I'd like to think that Goff could do something similar if he could lean on OBJ and have a transcendent Cooper Kupp, but there's something to the consideration that Stafford is really good at elevating his No. 1 WRs.
Oski87
StillNoStanfurdium said:

Seems like a good time to bump this. I'll the first to say that I firmly believed that the only way the Rams won this trade is if they won the Super Bowl. Looks like it certainly wasn't a bad move for them in hindsight.

I'd like to think that Goff could do something similar if he could lean on OBJ and have a transcendent Cooper Kupp, but there's something to the consideration that Stafford is really good at elevating his No. 1 WRs.
When Goff was in his SB, Krupp was out.
dimitrig
Oski87 said:

StillNoStanfurdium said:

Gurley was hurt, too.

B.A. Bearacus
Oski87 said:

I'd have a bad day too if my espresso machine was on the blink.
okaydo
Watching NFL free agency, in which there really is a dearth of QBs available, and I guess Goff has a long career ahead of him.
bearister
B.A. Bearacus said:

Oski87 said:

I'd have a bad day too if my espresso machine was on the blink.

The Krupp 80 cm Kanone (E) Schwerer Gustav / Dora being readied for a test firing on 19 March 1943 at Rgenwalde, Germany. Albert Speer (right), Adolf Hitler (second from right), and a number of other officials observed the firing. Hitler referred to the impractical gun as "meine sthlerne faust (my steel fist)."
golden sloth
StillNoStanfurdium said:

It is also possible that the trade could work out for both teams. There could be two winners depending on how the lions do with their drafting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.