Tui to Rice as OC per football scoop...

7,972 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by GivemTheAxe
bearsandgiants
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calumnus said:

Polar vortexes are a product of the melting of polar ice (it is above freezing in the Artic). Once all the ice is melted the vortexes will stop and temperatures will start increasing sharply.
People of Earth, I've got some good news, and some bad news.
GivemTheAxe
calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

OaktownBear said:

GivemTheAxe said:

SmellinRoses said:

Golden One said:

HearstMining said:

Golden One said:

dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

Marty said:

Plus, and I realize this is a personal peeve, it's in Houston. I've traveled there on business many times, and I struggle to find nice things to say about the place or it's surroundings. Wait'll Tui gets a load of July and August.

Or the rainy season. I went to Houston on business when it was raining. I had my windshield wipers running on full blast but could still just barely see through the flood on my windshield. That wasn't even hurricane season!

Then there's driving on the Loop. Good luck to anyone who gets stuck in that traffic!

Worst part is all the Texans!

Nothing wrong with Texans. They are great people, as you'd know if you had ever spent any significant time there.
Well, there are over 27 million Texans, and no reason to assume they are any better or worse than Californians. I will say that based on my experience working with Houston people in the energy and tech sectors, that at least the Houston culture emphasizes job-hoppers who look out for #1. The Houstonians I worked with invariably valued a flashy Powerpoint deck over actually getting the real work done, and left a pile of messes when they jumped ship for the next job.
Well, I had a very different experience. I lived in Houston for 17 years, while working in the energy industry. I found Texans to be very friendly, kind, approachable, and hospitable. I'm a native Californian who has spent most of my life in California and now live in the state. Although I hate to generalize, I must say that the the typical Texan is more friendly and down to earth than the typical California.
Funny to read this - have a friend who moved to Nashville who said the EXACT same thing about Tenneseans versus Californians yesterday; and said it was one of the most notable differences between the two. Be interesting to see how this whole WFM/"California exodus' shakes out...

Everyone expressing their views on this thread might be correct ( from their perspective).

I have lived most of my life in Northern California. But I have spent time in NYC, Northern and Eastern NJ. Rural eastern PA, WDC, Indiana, Tacoma WA.
And every Summer since 1986 I have driven cross country stopping overnight at many tourist sites talking to the residents along the way in places from NYC to SF; from LA to WDC and Atlanta, from Quebec to Miami and from Ottawa to San Antonio.

As a 6 foot tall, brown, polite and well-spoken Latino I have seen and heard both the good and the bad across this country. Every place has its advantages and disadvantages. Every place has its good people and it's bigots (some out in the open and some hiding).

Big cities breed strangers (remember the classic sociological study (The Lonely Crowd).
Small towns can be more friendly (provided you fit in). But they are much more confining.
High paid occupations breed highly competitive individuals (whether in NYC, WDC, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Seattle or LA).

Some people believe CA is over regulated and in part they are right. Some people believe other places are under regulated and in part they are right.(Contaminated water supplies not just in Detroit but in rural PA and Appalachia. Homes built on flood plains in Texas. Homes built in areas where oil refineries and oil wells in OK and TX.

Every one has to choose their own fit.

CA built the 6th Greatest economy in the world based upon things such as a great educational system. CA also has the weather and amenities that make it a great place to live. But so many people came to CA that it changed the state. Bringing with them overcrowding and the need for greater regulation.

Maybe it's not a bad thing that some people are leaving and reducing the overcrowding.

For me, every summer when I get back to CA I am thankful to be back. Not just for the weather and amenities but also because of its diversity. It is the only place in the US (other than NYC) where I am not made to feel "brown" the minute I step outside my door residence.
Every place is different and has its own politeness rules. I don't want a pie from my neighbor when I move in and I have no intention of giving one when they move in. I do watch out for their house when they are on vacation and they watch out for mine. We've all watched each other kids in emergencies and pets when on short trips. "Friendly" is how you define it.

And in some cases the supposedly friendly places have substantially different levels of friendliness depending on who you are.

But the bottom line is as you say everyone has to choose their own fit.

The news today adds additional factors that should be considered: the very sad tragedy that is occurring in Texas.

It has been reported that the Texas energy grid has collapsed for a reason that was predicted 10 years ago. The Texas Energy grid collapsed because the entire Grid was not winterized to deal with severe cold weather.

Texas had a similar problem 10 years ago during a similar cold spell. Experts recommended back then that steps should be been taken to winterize the Grid; and It was predicted that, otherwise, the Texas Grid would collapse. But appropriate steps were not taken because Texas politics do not favor Big Government imposing mandates on businesses.

Yes CA sometimes goes overboard on regulations. But many times those regulations can protect the safety and lives of CA residents. Small government/low taxes are policies that sound great to those who hate California's big government/high taxes. But small government/low taxes come at a great price that is harder to quantify but is all too real.

BTW Texas authorities tried to blame the Grid
collapse on the failure of wind tubing that have been installed over the past 10 year despite the fact that (1) wind turbines provide less than 5% of Texas energy and (2) wind turbines do not stop if they are properly winterized as they are in Scandinavia.

To make matters worse for Texas, Polar Vortexes like the one that is responsible for the current storm are projected to increase in the future due to Climate Change.

Polar vortexes are a product of the melting of polar ice (it is above freezing in the Artic). Once all the ice is melted the vortexes will stop and temperatures will start increasing sharply.

I wonder if the Texas politicians would try to use that explanation as a reason for not winterizing their state's electric grid. "Eventually we won't have a winter so why do anything about it now."
rkt88edmo
SmellinRoses said:

Golden One said:

Well, I had a very different experience. I lived in Houston for 17 years, while working in the energy industry. I found Texans to be very friendly, kind, approachable, and hospitable. I'm a native Californian who has spent most of my life in California and now live in the state. Although I hate to generalize, I must say that the the typical Texan is more friendly and down to earth than the typical California.
Funny to read this - have a friend who moved to Nashville who said the EXACT same thing about Tenneseans versus Californians yesterday; and said it was one of the most notable differences between the two. Be interesting to see how this whole WFM/"California exodus' shakes out...

My only data point is a Texas native couple that moved to SF post college at UT. They wouldn't get a fastrak because then they wouldn't be able to stop and say hi and exchange a pleasantry with the toll booth worker.
Post removed:
by user
Rushinbear
Stanford Jonah said:

71Bear said:

DWM81 said:

Big loss...
Why a "Big loss"? I'm not saying it is not. I'm just curious why someone would think it is. Is he "just another replaceable assistant" or is he a key component on the staff? In other words, all assistants are equal but some are more equal than others. Where does Tui fit on this scale?
He was overpaid, not a plus recruiter, and we'll be just fine without him.

However, we are also in the revolving door assistants stage of Wilcox's tenure and this is where Tedford's teams also started to really slide.

Offensive coordinator - disaster throughout his tenure and Musgrave is as well
Defensive coordinator - definite downgrade from TDR to Wilcox's buddy Sirmon, who is also overpaid and has not delivered as recruiting coordinator

Defense

DB- Yates was a downgrade from Alexander. They better get a guy who can recruit for this slot.
OLB - Heyward better be a good recruiter because our staff is highly lacking in that department
DL - Unsure about Browning. Our defense was awful last year, but he seems to be well-liked. Not sure how good he is on the recruiting trail.
OL - Our offensive line is awful. Not sure McClure has deliver for us in recruiting
RB - I haven't formed an opinion
WR - Not sure about Toler, but we have no talent at this position

I'm personally already convinced Wilcox isn't the answer. I know people want to give him a pass on last year and perhaps there is an argument to be made there. But if we are bad next year, anyone who still has faith in him is doing the Holmoe two-step again.

Not at all impressed with Jim Knowlton either.
No one is ever good enough.
Rushinbear
GivemTheAxe said:

OaktownBear said:

GivemTheAxe said:

SmellinRoses said:

Golden One said:

HearstMining said:

Golden One said:

dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

Marty said:

Plus, and I realize this is a personal peeve, it's in Houston. I've traveled there on business many times, and I struggle to find nice things to say about the place or it's surroundings. Wait'll Tui gets a load of July and August.

Or the rainy season. I went to Houston on business when it was raining. I had my windshield wipers running on full blast but could still just barely see through the flood on my windshield. That wasn't even hurricane season!

Then there's driving on the Loop. Good luck to anyone who gets stuck in that traffic!

Nothing wrong with Texans. They are great people, as you'd know if you had ever spent any significant time there.
Well, there are over 27 million Texans, and no reason to assume they are any better or worse than Californians. I will say that based on my experience working with Houston people in the energy and tech sectors, that at least the Houston culture emphasizes job-hoppers who look out for #1. The Houstonians I worked with invariably valued a flashy Powerpoint deck over actually getting the real work done, and left a pile of messes when they jumped ship for the next job.

Everyone expressing their views on this thread might be correct ( from their perspective).

I have lived most of my life in Northern California. But I have spent time in NYC, Northern and Eastern NJ. Rural eastern PA, WDC, Indiana, Tacoma WA.
And every Summer since 1986 I have driven cross country stopping overnight at many tourist sites talking to the residents along the way in places from NYC to SF; from LA to WDC and Atlanta, from Quebec to Miami and from Ottawa to San Antonio.

As a 6 foot tall, brown, polite and well-spoken Latino I have seen and heard both the good and the bad across this country. Every place has its advantages and disadvantages. Every place has its good people and it's bigots (some out in the open and some hiding).

Big cities breed strangers (remember the classic sociological study (The Lonely Crowd).
Small towns can be more friendly (provided you fit in). But they are much more confining.
High paid occupations breed highly competitive individuals (whether in NYC, WDC, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Seattle or LA).

Some people believe CA is over regulated and in part they are right. Some people believe other places are under regulated and in part they are right.(Contaminated water supplies not just in Detroit but in rural PA and Appalachia. Homes built on flood plains in Texas. Homes built in areas where oil refineries and oil wells in OK and TX.

CA built the 6th Greatest economy in the world based upon things such as a great educational system. CA also has the weather and amenities that make it a great place to live. But so many people came to CA that it changed the state. Bringing with them overcrowding and the need for greater regulation.

Maybe it's not a bad thing that some people are leaving and reducing the overcrowding.

For me, every summer when I get back to CA I am thankful to be back. Not just for the weather and amenities but also because of its diversity. It is the only place in the US (other than NYC) where I am not made to feel "brown" the minute I step outside my door residence.
Every place is different and has its own politeness rules. I don't want a pie from my neighbor when I move in and I have no intention of giving one when they move in. I do watch out for their house when they are on vacation and they watch out for mine. We've all watched each other kids in emergencies and pets when on short trips. "Friendly" is how you define it.

And in some cases the supposedly friendly places have substantially different levels of friendliness depending on who you are.

The news today adds additional factors that should be considered: the very sad tragedy that is occurring in Texas.

It has been reported that the Texas energy grid has collapsed for a reason that was predicted 10 years ago. The Texas Energy grid collapsed because the entire Grid was not winterized to deal with severe cold weather.

Texas had a similar problem 10 years ago during a similar cold spell. Experts recommended back then that steps should be been taken to winterize the Grid; and It was predicted that, otherwise, the Texas Grid would collapse. But appropriate steps were not taken because Texas politics do not favor Big Government imposing mandates on businesses.

Yes CA sometimes goes overboard on regulations. But many times those regulations can protect the safety and lives of CA residents. Small government/low taxes are policies that sound great to those who hate California's big government/high taxes. But small government/low taxes come at a great price that is harder to quantify but is all too real.

collapse on the failure of wind tubing that have been installed over the past 10 year despite the fact that (1) wind turbines provide less than 5% of Texas energy and (2) wind turbines do not stop if they are properly winterized as they are in Scandinavia.

To make matters worse for Texas, Polar Vortexes like the one that is responsible for the current storm are projected to increase in the future due to Climate Change.
Predictable opinion. Sooner or later, someone was going to voice it.

What, pray tell, is changing the climate? A. Mankind; or B. Nature?
AunBear89
DUH...

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Rushinbear
AunBear89 said:

DUH...

Well played. 2%/98%, perhaps. Perhaps.
AunBear89
Rushinbear said:

AunBear89 said:

DUH...

Or 3%/97%. Or 16%/84%. Or 51%/49%. See - I can pull random numbers out of my arse, too. It's that kind of rigorous discussion that we have come to expect from climate deniers. Just make stuff up...
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Rushinbear
AunBear89 said:

Rushinbear said:

AunBear89 said:

DUH...

Or 3%/97%. Or 16%/84%. Or 51%/49%. See - I can pull random numbers out of my arse, too. It's that kind of rigorous discussion that we have come to expect from climate deniers. Just make stuff up...
I'm not denying; just saying that mankind's impact is insignificant compared to Nature's.

Wadda you got?

https://freedomsfoundry.com/2019/06/12/the-whole-climate-story/
AunBear89
https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
ColoradoBear
Rushinbear said:

AunBear89 said:

Rushinbear said:

AunBear89 said:

DUH...

I'm not denying; just saying that mankind's impact is insignificant compared to Nature's.

Wadda you got?

That website looks super scientific. Can't really argue with any of it.
Rushinbear
AunBear89 said:

You didn't even read it. Did you.

Are you Santer, Hegerrl, Ramasthwamy? Anyone can find a sympathetic piece and copy/paste the url. Writing so it shows knowledge of the foundation is what gives you standing. Let's see something with your by-line. That you have the nerve to put your name out there.

What''s the difference between a Stevenson Screen and a PRT and how many of each are out there?

For those who are lurking, why should 2/3 of the surface heat gauges be in the Norther Hemisphere? Doesn't that smack of racism? Doesn't that, in and of itself, prove biased science?
AunBear89
Rushinbear said:

AunBear89 said:

Blah blah blah blah blah blah.
BearlyCareAnymore
Rushinbear said:

AunBear89 said:

Rushinbear said:

AunBear89 said:

DUH...

Wadda you got?

Rushin

If you want a genuine, scientific opinion, you aren't going to find it in a publication with "freedom" in the title. You aren't going to find it in an article that uses language like:

Quote:

But, we should not bankrupt ourselves and our nation to assuage a false guilt perpetrated by politicians and corrupted scientists. We need to be smarter than that.
That goes on both sides.

This article uses a lot of misconceptions and also takes a lot of true information that no scientists would disagree with and than applies it completely incorrectly. My guess is that a lot of the scientists they are citing would be ticked off at being cited for these propositions as that is true of almost any anti-climate change position piece. We aren't going to get answers from posting on a football board. I'm not a climate specialist. I do have a reasonable background in evolution which required me to understand different climates of different periods and that helps to understand how these arguments are misleading. If you really want to get at the issue, take this post and check what I'm telling you against actual climate scientists, not ones who are calling people names on either side.

Has the earth been warmer? Yes. Has the earth been a lot warmer? Yes.
Has the earth been colder? yes. Has the earth been a lot colder? Yes.
Does the earth's temperature fluctuate? Yes.

No one ever denied any of those facts. They do not tell the story.

Geologic and Evolutionary time frames are VERY SLOOOOOOOOOOOW. The issue is not that the earth is warming. It is that it is warming very fast. It is exceedingly rare for the earth's temperatures to change this fast. As in it happens when there are global catastrophes. Like periods of massive volcanic activity. When we talk about temperature fluctuations we are talking about over tens of thousands of years. For instance, in our current period of like half a million years, we are fluctuating between glacial and interglacial periods. We've had 5 major periods of heating. Those have occurred on the low end over 10,000 years and on the high end like 90,000 years. The temperatures in these periods of extreme heating have increased about half a degree to one degree EVERY THOUSAND YEARS. For instance, starting about 150,000 years ago the earth went through a dramatic period of heating where it heated about one degree fahrenheit every thousand years for 20,000 years. During that period of time, much of Africa became almost uninhabitable. The human species almost snuffed it right there, clinging to life on coastlines and very few other places (a fact that is demonstrated by a significant lack of genetic variation that shows we went through an evolutionary bottleneck at that time). Some think humans were reduced to a population of hundreds during this time.

Over the past 140 years the earth's temp has gone up 2 degrees. That is exceptionally fast. It has gone up almost a degree and a half in the past 40 years. That is flash gordon fast. Keep in mind that the last glacial period was the result of a 2 degree cooling over a much longer period of time.

The sun absolutely impacts the temperature of the earth. And over the past 50 years, the energy from the sun that has hit the earth has DROPPED slightly. Further, fluctuation in the sun's energy changes the temperature of the earth at every layer of the atmosphere. And yet the warming of the earth is taking place in the lower atmosphere only and the upper atmosphere has actually cooled somewhat as would be predicted by the energy drop from the sun.

Carbon dioxide, methane, and other greenhouse gasses are in fact a small portion of the atmosphere by volume. I'm not sure why that is relevant. It takes a tiny fraction of cyanide compared to your body volume to kill you dead in seconds. So? Carbon dioxide levels have risen almost 50%. The difference in those levels is almost entirely predictable by the amount of Carbon dioxide human activities are releasing. The increase in temperature is almost entirely predictable by the activity of excess greenhouse gas in the atmosphere.

Why does it matter? Because temperature changes at this speed changes the environment rapidly. It changes things faster than species can evolve or adapt or migrate. They die out rapidly.

To be frank, the earth doesn't care. The earth took an asteroid hit that wiped out almost all animal life. And when the temperatures stabilized a handful of mangy little rats looked out on an earth filled with almost endless niches to fill and had a 65 million year party. Earth will be fine.

But when you want to look at the cost of preventing climate change you should look at the cost of not preventing climate change. Because it is going to get you one place or the other. So, be ready for more extreme polar vortexes where Texas freezes over. Be ready for California to get a few degrees hotter, increasing the evaporation rates in the summer and causing bigger forest fires. Be ready for hurricanes to be more powerful. Be ready to start building more water breaks and flood control in the bulk of our cities that are on coasts. Be ready for more droughts in some areas and heavier rainy seasons in others. At the end of the day, if you do not want to accept that man is causing the climate to change, fine. But the climate is changing and these are the results of that climate change. So if you don't want to reduce greenhouse emissions, okay. But either way you need to prepare for what is coming.

Look, Rushin. As far as I'm concerned, humans are not good at this. We will sit in this pot of water like the metaphorical frog not noticing while it boils to death (frogs don't really do that, by the way). I came to the conclusion years ago that scientists better be working on methods to extract or otherwise eliminate greenhouse gas from the atmosphere to bring it down to normal levels. Because I don't believe we are going to do enough about this other than argue and point the finger at others and ask why we should do something when someone else won't. Hell, maybe technology saves us and carbon based energy sources just become obsolete on their own accord. I doubt it with how fast temps are increasing. So as far as I'm concerned we are buying time until the scientists come to a solution and we hope that solution doesn't accidentally destroy the atmosphere.
Gobears49
UrsusTexicanus said:

dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

Marty said:

Ahem. Some of us loyal Bears live in Texas.
I've visited Austin and San Anntonio. The latter, except for the River Walk and the Alamo, are very blah. Austin was much better with a lot more things to do. Sixth Street is fun and there are tons of great BBQ's around. Alos the hill country, an hour or so outside the city, has decent wine tasting but nothing to compare to all over California. It's just cheaper to live there, that's all.
Gobears49
BearSD said:

Rushinbear said:

UrsineMaximus said:

I feel this is a loss on the recruiting side but on the coaching side not so much. While at Cal he was demoted from QB coach to TE coach. Nothing about that change can have a positive spin to it. But yeah recruiting could suffer from this.
The "assignment switch" can't be overlooked, but the change is better for both. We get $$ freed up and he gets to give it a try in a place where he can't lose. He gets to see what it's like to get what you wish. We get to inject new blood.
You mean, a place where he can't win. Good luck to him; though Rice is not a program that typically helps a coach's career. As an example, the guy Tui is replacing as OC is leaving not to become a coordinator elsewhere, but to become the running backs coach at Tennessee.

RB xoXH r Tennessee is still a step up. Their record is not great but they do recruit big time. Rice will always be at the bottom of the pack.
01Bear
OaktownBear said:

Rushinbear said:

AunBear89 said:

Rushinbear said:

AunBear89 said:

DUH...

Wadda you got?

Rushin

If you want a genuine, scientific opinion, you aren't going to find it in a publication with "freedom" in the title. You aren't going to find it in an article that uses language like:

Quote:

But, we should not bankrupt ourselves and our nation to assuage a false guilt perpetrated by politicians and corrupted scientists. We need to be smarter than that.
That goes on both sides.

This article uses a lot of misconceptions and also takes a lot of true information that no scientists would disagree with and than applies it completely incorrectly. My guess is that a lot of the scientists they are citing would be ticked off at being cited for these propositions as that is true of almost any anti-climate change position piece. We aren't going to get answers from posting on a football board. I'm not a climate specialist. I do have a reasonable background in evolution which required me to understand different climates of different periods and that helps to understand how these arguments are misleading. If you really want to get at the issue, take this post and check what I'm telling you against actual climate scientists, not ones who are calling people names on either side.

Has the earth been warmer? Yes. Has the earth been a lot warmer? Yes.
Has the earth been colder? yes. Has the earth been a lot colder? Yes.
Does the earth's temperature fluctuate? Yes.

No one ever denied any of those facts. They do not tell the story.

Geologic and Evolutionary time frames are VERY SLOOOOOOOOOOOW. The issue is not that the earth is warming. It is that it is warming very fast. It is exceedingly rare for the earth's temperatures to change this fast. As in it happens when there are global catastrophes. Like periods of massive volcanic activity. When we talk about temperature fluctuations we are talking about over tens of thousands of years. For instance, in our current period of like half a million years, we are fluctuating between glacial and interglacial periods. We've had 5 major periods of heating. Those have occurred on the low end over 10,000 years and on the high end like 90,000 years. The temperatures in these periods of extreme heating have increased about half a degree to one degree EVERY THOUSAND YEARS. For instance, starting about 150,000 years ago the earth went through a dramatic period of heating where it heated about one degree fahrenheit every thousand years for 20,000 years. During that period of time, much of Africa became almost uninhabitable. The human species almost snuffed it right there, clinging to life on coastlines and very few other places (a fact that is demonstrated by a significant lack of genetic variation that shows we went through an evolutionary bottleneck at that time). Some think humans were reduced to a population of hundreds during this time.

Over the past 140 years the earth's temp has gone up 2 degrees. That is exceptionally fast. It has gone up almost a degree and a half in the past 40 years. That is flash gordon fast. Keep in mind that the last glacial period was the result of a 2 degree cooling over a much longer period of time.

The sun absolutely impacts the temperature of the earth. And over the past 50 years, the energy from the sun that has hit the earth has DROPPED slightly. Further, fluctuation in the sun's energy changes the temperature of the earth at every layer of the atmosphere. And yet the warming of the earth is taking place in the lower atmosphere only and the upper atmosphere has actually cooled somewhat as would be predicted by the energy drop from the sun.

Carbon dioxide, methane, and other greenhouse gasses are in fact a small portion of the atmosphere by volume. I'm not sure why that is relevant. It takes a tiny fraction of cyanide compared to your body volume to kill you dead in seconds. So? Carbon dioxide levels have risen almost 50%. The difference in those levels is almost entirely predictable by the amount of Carbon dioxide human activities are releasing. The increase in temperature is almost entirely predictable by the activity of excess greenhouse gas in the atmosphere.

Why does it matter? Because temperature changes at this speed changes the environment rapidly. It changes things faster than species can evolve or adapt or migrate. They die out rapidly.

To be frank, the earth doesn't care. The earth took an asteroid hit that wiped out almost all animal life. And when the temperatures stabilized a handful of mangy little rats looked out on an earth filled with almost endless niches to fill and had a 65 million year party. Earth will be fine.

But when you want to look at the cost of preventing climate change you should look at the cost of not preventing climate change. Because it is going to get you one place or the other. So, be ready for more extreme polar vortexes where Texas freezes over. Be ready for California to get a few degrees hotter, increasing the evaporation rates in the summer and causing bigger forest fires. Be ready for hurricanes to be more powerful. Be ready to start building more water breaks and flood control in the bulk of our cities that are on coasts. Be ready for more droughts in some areas and heavier rainy seasons in others. At the end of the day, if you do not want to accept that man is causing the climate to change, fine. But the climate is changing and these are the results of that climate change. So if you don't want to reduce greenhouse emissions, okay. But either way you need to prepare for what is coming.

Look, Rushin. As far as I'm concerned, humans are not good at this. We will sit in this pot of water like the metaphorical frog not noticing while it boils to death (frogs don't really do that, by the way). I came to the conclusion years ago that scientists better be working on methods to extract or otherwise eliminate greenhouse gas from the atmosphere to bring it down to normal levels. Because I don't believe we are going to do enough about this other than argue and point the finger at others and ask why we should do something when someone else won't. Hell, maybe technology saves us and carbon based energy sources just become obsolete on their own accord. I doubt it with how fast temps are increasing. So as far as I'm concerned we are buying time until the scientists come to a solution and we hope that solution doesn't accidentally destroy the atmosphere.

For a visual/graphic representation:
https://xkcd.com/1732/

For those who don't know, XKCD is a comic site that bases much of its humor on science.
BearSD
Gobears49 said:

BearSD said:

Rushinbear said:

UrsineMaximus said:

I feel this is a loss on the recruiting side but on the coaching side not so much. While at Cal he was demoted from QB coach to TE coach. Nothing about that change can have a positive spin to it. But yeah recruiting could suffer from this.
The "assignment switch" can't be overlooked, but the change is better for both. We get $$ freed up and he gets to give it a try in a place where he can't lose. He gets to see what it's like to get what you wish. We get to inject new blood.
You mean, a place where he can't win. Good luck to him; though Rice is not a program that typically helps a coach's career. As an example, the guy Tui is replacing as OC is leaving not to become a coordinator elsewhere, but to become the running backs coach at Tennessee.

RB xoXH r Tennessee is still a step up. Their record is not great but they do recruit big time. Rice will always be at the bottom of the pack.
That's not a good argument for Tui taking a job at Rice.
GivemTheAxe
GivemTheAxe said:

calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

OaktownBear said:

GivemTheAxe said:

SmellinRoses said:

Golden One said:

HearstMining said:

Golden One said:

dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

Marty said:

I wonder if the Texas politicians would try to use that explanation as a reason for not winterizing their state's electric grid. "Eventually we won't have a winter so why do anything about it now."

No sooner said than done. Texas politicians have decided today NOT to compel the Texas power agency to winterize its power grid.
OK you people of Texas you better stock up on Propane.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.