DeSean Jackson cut by the Eagles

2,540 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
GoBears89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
At 34 years old, he's lost a few steps - but hoping he ends up somewhere good. Philly is a mess right now.

Veteran receiver DeSean Jackson released by Philadelphia Eagles (espn.com)

calumnus
GoBears89 said:

At 34 years old, he's lost a few steps - but hoping he ends up somewhere good. Philly is a mess right now.

The Lions need WRs
heartofthebear
Everyone in the media is ragging on the Eagles. But I think they are doing the right thing. I think they want Watson and they are clearing the books and the roster to get him. That's my take, but even if they aren't, they are still doing the right thing to free up roster space and money. With that, they can upgrade at QB and at WR. They have the #6 pick. They should be able to get a top WR there. And, for the Wentz money, they can go out and get someone better. They aren't sure Hurd is the answer so they are shopping around, kinda like SF. With Prescott/Dallas and Washington needing a QB and 3 of the 4 having early draft picks, the NFC East will be very active this off-season and should be much improved come September.
heartofthebear
BTW, DJax could be a good fit in SF if the price is right.
SF needs a deep threat and he's just that.
They also need a better kick returner.
79 Bear
Would be a pretty nice group of receivers with Deebo, Aiyuk, DJax and Bourne. Shanahan loves the end around play and those first three can all be potent in that.
hanky1
He's been injured way too much the past couple years. Not sure if there's a market for a mid-30 year old WR who's injured.
Strykur
hanky1 said:

He's been injured way too much the past couple years. Not sure if there's a market for a mid-30 year old WR who's injured.
He can take vet minimum and just do return duties, there is always a market for guys with speed.
91Cal
Does he have enough speed left to stretch the field? If yes, he could be just what's needed for the Rams...
philbert
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/will-desean-jackson-be-49ers-free-agent-option-after-eagles-release
mbBear
GoBears89 said:

He hasn't lost all that much; just watch the Eagles first game of the year last year. He is still in the upper echelon of WR's in terms of speed.
This is about his salary vs. the Eagles cap situation (not good) vs. his ability to stay healthy. If you ever got to meet DeSean in person, you would be shocked at his size. That he lasted in the NFL this long borders on a miracle....
bencgilmore
91Cal said:

Does he have enough speed left to stretch the field? If yes, he could be just what's needed for the Rams...
During the brief periods between injuries he had a couple very long TDs last year.

I know one game where the stat scroll read something along the lines of 1 reception, 80 yards, TD. My family (eagles fans) were quick to mention the reception also involved a taunting penalty, making it more or less the full Desean experience.

I don't know if he finished the game either, which is also part of the experience.

I'd love to see him catch an 80 yard bomb from AR, even if I'm not totally sure he helps a WR corp overall given his dubious week to week status. I'm sure he can find a roster spot if he wants to though.
upsetof86
SadbutTrue999 said:

91Cal said:

During the brief periods between injuries he had a couple very long TDs last year.

I know one game where the stat scroll read something along the lines of 1 reception, 80 yards, TD. My family (eagles fans) were quick to mention the reception also involved a taunting penalty, making it more or less the full Desean experience.

I don't know if he finished the game either, which is also part of the experience.

I'd love to see him catch an 80 yard bomb from AR, even if I'm not totally sure he helps a WR corp overall given his dubious week to week status. I'm sure he can find a roster spot if he wants to though.

Love to see him at GB. D Adams, DJax, MVS. I could see him taking a league min for that to go for a ring. Could also be the Rams and a ring in a return home.
mbBear
upsetof86 said:

SadbutTrue999 said:

91Cal said:

Love to see him at GB. D Adams, DJax, MVS. I could see him taking a league min for that to go for a ring. Could also be the Rams and a ring in a return home.
I think that's really true-he has earned plenty of money, I bet he looks to play for that championship chance.
For those who don't know it: he now has the NFL record for most career receptions of 60+ yards...
CALiforniALUM
I would like to see him run for president. That is at least in the ballpark of other posters, no?
bearister
"The NFL salary cap is expected to decrease after seven consecutive years of $10+ million increases, dropping from $198.2 million to an estimated $180 million due to the pandemic, Jeff writes.

Why it matters: With free agency just two weeks away, we could see the biggest round of cuts in recent memory, as teams work to get under the (still indeterminate) cap.

"Just texted with an NFL head coach about the upcoming cuts and what he expects ... 'It's going to be a massacre next week all around the league.'"
ESPN's Dianna Russini

How it works: The cap is way more complex than we have space for, but here's a quick primer.

Cap accounting is not cash spending. Let's say Player X signs a four-year deal for $50 million, including a $20 million signing bonus and an annual salary of $7.5 million, with just the first two years guaranteed.
The bonus is paid up front, but prorated annually (in this case, $5 million per year) against the cap. So in year one, Player X earns $27.5 million, but just $12.5 million counts against the cap; in year four, the cap hit is still $12.5 million, but he could earn $0 if he's released.
The catch: Dead cap money. Released players' non-guaranteed salary comes off the books, but not the bonus cap hit. And if they're released (or traded) before the final year, the entire remaining bonus cap hit gets lumped into the release year.
Example: Carson Wentz will be off the Eagles' books by 2022, but his huge signing bonuses mean they're carrying $33.82 million in dead cap money for him in 2021.
What to watch: Here are a few players whose age, performance, health and/or contract status could lead to their release in the coming days.

Jimmy Graham (TE, Bears): $10 million cap hit if he stays; $3 million if released.
Preston Smith (LB, Packers): $16 million if he stays; $8 million if released.
Von Miller (LB, Broncos): $22.3 million if he stays; $4.3 million if released.
Trai Turner (G, Chargers): $11.3 million if he stays; $0 if released." Axios
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.