The 10 worst head coach firings since 2000

4,065 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Oski87
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Cal is No. 10.
https://texags.com/s/38844/the-grass-isnt-always-greener-ten-worst-head-coach-firings-since-2000
dimitrig
okaydo said:

Cal is No. 10.
https://texags.com/s/38844/the-grass-isnt-always-greener-ten-worst-head-coach-firings-since-2000

Thank God it is Tedford and not Dykes. I thought they might have a pro-Texas bias.

The main reasons for firing Tedford have more to do with what was happening off the field than on it, but that 3-9 season didn't help. An outsider probably doesn't know the whole story.

GivemTheAxe
okaydo said:

Cal is No. 10.

We have already been over this ground too many times.
JT was fired not only because of the 3-9 season. There were other reasons (mostly due to the horrible academic performance of the team and recruits, pressure from the academic side of Cal, and a loss of support among many team members). The 3-9 season just made it impossible for the AD to resist the calls for his firing.
okaydo
GivemTheAxe said:

okaydo said:

Cal is No. 10.

We have already been over this ground too many times.
JT was fired not only because of the 3-9 season. There were other reasons (mostly due to the horrible academic performance of the team and recruits, pressure from the academic side of Cal, and a loss of support among many team members). The 3-9 season just made it impossible for the AD to resist the calls for his firing.

Yes, yes, yes. I know, I know (you forgot to mention he won 1 in 3 Pac-12 games his final 3 seasons).

Just saying, it looks bad without context, though.
NVBear78
By the time Tedford was fired he had shown there was no hope for him figuring out a way to turn things around by himself. He needed an "intervention" and a sabbatical. Maybe a super savvy AD could have helped him but I think not.

That being said I appreciate the amazing times Tedford brought to Cal-the greatest run of Cal football success in my lifetime.

And I think it is time for Cal to erect a statue in his honor and bring him back and honor him!
run2win
NVBear78 said:

By the time Tedford was fired he had shown there was no hope for him figuring out a way to turn things around by himself. He needed an "intervention" and a sabbatical. Maybe a super savvy AD could have helped him but I think not.

That being said I appreciate the amazing times Tedford brought to Cal-the greatest run of Cal football success in my lifetime.

And I think it is time for Cal to erect a statue in his honor and bring him back and honor him!
I'd prefer the AD erect a statue in Joe Roth's honor well before Tedford's.
joeroth12.com
X: @calgridiron
Facebook: California Gridiron
Gobears49
run2win said:

NVBear78 said:

I went to Cal Camp for several years, for which most the camp director was coach Mike White. Used to get up early to get coffee before breakfast at the place where people congregated after the evening entertainment.

Had a few discussions with Coach White. Once asked him who his best QB was a college coach (White also coached successfully at Illinois, where he coached several good QB's, Jack Trudeau, Tony Eason, and David Wilson). Of course, he also coached Steve Bartkowski, Vince Ferragamo, and Joe Roth at Cal.

He didn't hesitate and said "Joe Roth."
heartofthebear
I wonder what folks here think Tedford would have done in the 8 years since. Would he have done better, worse or about the same? The write up implies that Cal did worse because he departed. I'm not sure that's the reason. Tedford coached at a time when the pac-10 was kind of weak and, as it strengthened, his record got worse.

The conference has gotten worse again, which may be part of why Wilcox seems to have improved the team, not that I'm a hater or anything. Just a thought.

Tedford's firing seems bad mostly because of who replaced him. Not that I'm a hater or anything.

I mean if Cal had hired someone really great, I don't know that Tedford shows up on that list at all.

We have to remember that Cal's athletic department wasn't exactly state-of-the-art when finding, hiring and retaining great football coaches.
heartofthebear
Gobears49 said:

run2win said:

NVBear78 said:

I went to Cal Camp for several years, for which most the camp director was coach Mike White. Used to get up early to get coffee before breakfast at the place where people congregated after the evening entertainment.

Had a few discussions with Coach White. Once asked him who his best QB was a college coach (White also coached successfully at Illinois, where he coached several good QB's, Jack Trudeau, Tony Eason, and David Wilson). Of course, he also coached Steve Bartkowski, Vince Ferragamo, and Joe Roth at Cal.

I've missed Mike White since the day he left. The program's rarely had the same personality to it since.
dimitrig
heartofthebear said:

I wonder what folks here think Tedford would have done in the 8 years since. Would he have done better, worse or about the same? The write up implies that Cal did worse because he departed. I'm not sure that's the reason. Tedford coached at a time when the pac-10 was kind of weak and, as it strengthened, his record got worse.

The conference has gotten worse again, which may be part of why Wilcox seems to have improved the team, not that I'm a hater or anything. Just a thought.

Tedford's firing seems bad mostly because of who replaced him. Not that I'm a hater or anything.

I mean if Cal had hired someone really great, I don't know that Tedford shows up on that list at all.

We have to remember that Cal's athletic department wasn't exactly state-of-the-art when finding, hiring and retaining great football coaches.

I think Cal would have been the same or better on the field with Tedford in hindsight - certainly not worse.

It was Tedford who gave us Goff after some real disappointments.

However, I don't think keeping Tedford was an option given the APR. Cal would have ended up on probation.

AXLBear
I named my dog tedford. A golden retriever no less.
82gradDLSdad
heartofthebear said:

Gobears49 said:

run2win said:

NVBear78 said:

I've missed Mike White since the day he left. The program's rarely had the same personality to it since.

White was a great coach but his attention to the academic side was on par with Tedford's. One of my friends was on the football team during the last White year. He had no business being at Cal. But he was a really good football player.
BearoutEast67
I remember watching Maynard throw Hail Mary's repeatedly at a well-covered Keenan Allen during Tedford's last season, and thinking, "Is this what the offense has become?"
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
mbBear
run2win said:

NVBear78 said:

this.
Marty
If you go back to the end of WW2, before most if not all of us were following Cal football, you have a span of roughly 75 years of mostly futility. At the beginning of that span, you had Pappy Waldorf, who had the second best run of any coach in Cal history. That was followed by about 20 years of mostly bad football, with the exception of the team Joe Kapp led to the Rose Bowl, until White's arrival. As mentioned, a talented, inspiring, and charismatic coach who recruited some great players, but was always flirting with probation based on recruiting practices and academics. After his departure, some REALLY bad years until Snyder arrived, setting Cal up for long term success. Then Bockrath screwed the pooch. Back into the wilderness, until Tedford arrived. I'm not counting Mariucci's one promising season. I believe he could have been successful, but we'll never really know. Tedford's first 6-7 years were truly remarkable relative to what he inherited, how truly bad Cal was under Holmoe, and how quickly he reversed Cal's fortunes. But as also mentioned, the wheels came off in numerous areas, including one that has not been mentioned: his health. Tedford only knew how to run at full throttle (for example his habit of sleeping in the office all week) and as we saw after his departure, it apparently contributed to some serious cardiac issues. Looking back, I can see why a move needed to be made, although I believe as much criticism can be directed at the Dykes hire as can fairly be directed at Tedford's dismissal. So context is indeed an important factor in an accurate evaluation. In any event, taken as a whole, I believe that Tedford's tenure was a successful one, even though the trajectory of his last few years was downward, and we always put a disproportionate emphasis on the ending verses the beginning of any era. He's an excellent coach, a solid recruiter, and by all accounts a thoroughly decent guy. In my opinion, if you take the last 100 years of Cal football, Tedford stands in a very respectable 3rd position behind Smith and Waldorf.
boredom
The Tedford firing in an of itself was justifiable. Firing him and having a process that lead to Dykes was stupid. With the exception of a very small handful of coaches, it's not who you lose but who you get that matters. It's a little similar to our basketball situation where the problem isn't that we let Cuonzo walk but rather that we've made awful hires since then that buried our program.

Would we have been better off if we kept Tedford? Probably. He's the only coach we've had in the last quarter century who hasn't posted a 1 win season. In that time frame he has all but 1 of our Big Game wins. Even a declining Tedford is better than the mediocre at best coaches we've had since him. The academic stuff is a function of organizational focus (and for a while there were glowing stories about Tedford's approach to academics - anyone else remember the "academic playbook"?) and could've been resolved.

But we made a stupid decision. We decided we wanted to compete for championships (great!) and then immediately after firing Tedford changed our minds and aimed for mediocrity and participation trophies.
wifeisafurd
boredom said:

The Tedford firing in an of itself was justifiable. Firing him and having a process that lead to Dykes was stupid. With the exception of a very small handful of coaches, it's not who you lose but who you get that matters. It's a little similar to our basketball situation where the problem isn't that we let Cuonzo walk but rather that we've made awful hires since then that buried our program.

This really frames the JT firing well, as well as the demise of the basketball program.

I have nothing but praise for what JT accomplished at Cal. Many of us would not be on this board, if not what JT did with Cal football and the rise of the internet in our life. He also is responsible in some large measure for getting the stadium remodel and SHAPC completed. JT was a great guy and I wish him success in the future, but leaving Cal was the right call for both Cal and JT's health. That Cal screwed it up going forward is on Cal.
okaydo
dimitrig said:

heartofthebear said:

I think Cal would have been the same or better on the field with Tedford in hindsight - certainly not worse.

However, I don't think keeping Tedford was an option given the APR. Cal would have ended up on probation.

Cal football was like a plane heading toward a crash-landing in Tedford's final year. Him sticking around would've done major damage. Major Damage. The problem is I don't think he realized how bad a job he had done, so he wouldn't have been able to fix it.

Also, I highly doubt Goff would've started in 2013 (or 2014 or 2015) under Tedford.
Big C

There were some really lame picks on this list, IMO.

All the credit in the world to JT for the great things he accomplished at Cal. That said, the Tedford Program was cooked by 2012. Not just the academics, everything. A change needed to be made.

Same with our good friend Mack Brown at Texas and Fulmer at Tennessee. That all three programs have yet to get back to their previous heights since then is a separate issue. Once a football coach is past his "sell date", it's time for a fresh voice, which is always going to involve a roll of the dice.
calumnus
okaydo said:

dimitrig said:

heartofthebear said:

Cal football was like a plane heading toward a crash-landing in Tedford's final year. Him sticking around would've done major damage. Major Damage. The problem is I don't think he realized how bad a job he had done, so he wouldn't have been able to fix it.

Also, I highly doubt Goff would've started in 2013 (or 2014 or 2015) under Tedford.

If Tedford returned in 2013 the starter would be Alan Bridgford, the returning starter, or more likely, board favorite red-shirt freshman, Zach Kline. Austin Hinder as a long shot. No way Goff starts as a true freshman who had no experience with Tedford's playbook when Tedford has other options. I think Kline would have been fairly successful and very popular among fans and would have kept Goff off the field the next 4 years. Tedford was very loyal to his chosen starter. It was the change in coaching staff and scheme that eliminated the returning QBs' advantage and gave the advantage to Goff who played in a similar offense in HS and was less of a drop back passer.
calumnus
Big C said:

There were some really lame picks on this list, IMO.

All the credit in the world to JT for the great things he accomplished at Cal. That said, the Tedford Program was cooked by 2012. Not just the academics, everything. A change needed to be made.

Same with our good friend Mack Brown at Texas and Fulmer at Tennessee. That all three programs have yet to get back to their previous heights since then is a separate issue. Once a football coach is past his "sell date", it's time for a fresh voice, which is always going to involve a roll of the dice.

Tedford needed a couple years off to deal with his health issues. If he had stayed on he might have died.
remb8888
Dumb list. This just looks at post-HC firing records compared to that head coach's record.

Worst firing in my mind would be not only crap records after firing but also the coach went on and had a bunch of success somewhere else.

Like the Browns firing Bill Belechik or something
Bobodeluxe
None of these comments make any sense in our post-fact universe.
HearstMining
remb8888 said:

Dumb list. This just looks at post-HC firing records compared to that head coach's record.

Worst firing in my mind would be not only crap records after firing but also the coach went on and had a bunch of success somewhere else.

Like the Browns firing Bill Belechik or something
Or Cal firing Marv Levy? Just a joke - I was only 8 years-old when he left! Between Cal's spring football and the Giants and A's spring training, hope springs eternal! It's a great time of year!
bencgilmore
The biggest thing in JTs favor is that Tedford could recruit both sides. Dykes could get plenty of skill guys and wilcox does a good job on D, but neither have put together a class like some of the late 2000 classes across the board.

Tedfords decision making was infuriating towards the end, and recruiting was waning. But our mediocrity since makes sense given the talent coming in. Hopefully this latest class starts to change that
calumnus
SadbutTrue999 said:

The biggest thing in JTs favor is that Tedford could recruit both sides. Dykes could get plenty of skill guys and wilcox does a good job on D, but neither have put together a class like some of the late 2000 classes across the board.

Tedfords decision making was infuriating towards the end, and recruiting was waning. But our mediocrity since makes sense given the talent coming in. Hopefully this latest class starts to change that

If you look at Dykes' last couple classes, it had great offensive talent plus the defensive players that Wilcox turned into a great unit in his first 3 years. Unfortunately the offensive talent left or was squandered under Baldwin.

The incoming class looks really good on offense and the defense should be strong too.
Larno
A big component of Tedford's success was timing, good and bad. On the good side teams that have done well recently were down (Stanford, UCLA, Oregon) or outright bad (Washington). On the bad side the peak Tedford era coincided with the peak Pete Carroll era USC teams, although in 2004 and 2006 Cal did it to themselves. Now that the league is down again, can Cal capitalize? We shall see.
GivemTheAxe
82gradDLSdad said:

heartofthebear said:

Gobears49 said:

run2win said:

NVBear78 said:

White was a great coach but his attention to the academic side was on par with Tedford's. One of my friends was on the football team during the last White year. He had no business being at Cal. But he was a really good football player.

I have to agree that white was a great coach but only as regards game performance. IIRC He was let go not. just because of bad team academic performance but also because he often bent (I will be kind and won't say "broke") a lot of rules in recruiting.
He sent a message that the only way for a coach to win at Cal was to CHEAT in recruiting. (On this point he was the antithesis of JW.)
Golden One
heartofthebear said:

Tedford coached at a time when the pac-10 was kind of weak and, as it strengthened, his record got worse.
Are you kidding? USC's record during Tedford's 11 years as Cal head coach was 114-26, and included national championships in 2003 and 2004. During the same time Oregon's record was 102-39, and they lost the 2011 BCS title game to Auburn, 22-19. The Pac-10/12 was hardly weak during Tedford's tenure.
heartofthebear
Golden One said:

heartofthebear said:

Tedford coached at a time when the pac-10 was kind of weak and, as it strengthened, his record got worse.
Are you kidding? USC's record during Tedford's 11 years as Cal head coach was 114-26, and included national championships in 2003 and 2004. During the same time Oregon's record was 102-39, and they lost the 2011 BCS title game to Auburn, 22-19. The Pac-10/12 was hardly weak during Tedford's tenure.
Tedford beat USC once during that span and he did not beat Oregon once Chip Kelly made than into a BCS force. 2011 is later on in Tedford's career--exactly my point. Furd was better by then and Washington started becoming a factor as did UCLA. And it was at that point Tedford started to lose more. During the 2004-2006 period that really set Tedford apart, there were really only 2 program viaing with Cal for the conference title (USC and Oregon). Oregon, Cal did well against, but they were 0-3 against USC. Later in Tedford's career, Washington, Furd and UCLA had significantly improved and the later 2 were title contenders.

At that point Cal's title contention status was slipping away.
Golden One
heartofthebear said:

Golden One said:

During the 2004-2006 period that really set Tedford apart, there were really only 2 program viaing with Cal for the conference title (USC and Oregon).

That's just not true. Here are the records of the best 6 teams in the Pac-10 during the 2004 to 2006 period:

USC 36-3
Cal 28-9
UCLA 23-14
ASU 23-14
Oregon 22-14
OSU 22-15

Only WSU, Washington, Stanfurd and Arizona had below .500 records during those 3 years. So, actually the Pac-10 was historically strong during Tedford's best years. Heck, Alabama's record during those same 3 years was only 22-15, the same as Oregon State and below the top 5 teams in the Pac-10.
Golden One
Marty said:

I believe that Tedford's tenure was a successful one, even though the trajectory of his last few years was downward, and we always put a disproportionate emphasis on the ending verses the beginning of any era. He's an excellent coach, a solid recruiter, and by all accounts a thoroughly decent guy. In my opinion, if you take the last 100 years of Cal football, Tedford stands in a very respectable 3rd position behind Smith and Waldorf.
I completely agree!
calumnus
Golden One said:

heartofthebear said:

Golden One said:

During the 2004-2006 period that really set Tedford apart, there were really only 2 program viaing with Cal for the conference title (USC and Oregon).

That's just not true. Here are the records of the best 6 teams in the Pac-10 during the 2004 to 2006 period:

USC 36-3
Cal 28-9
UCLA 23-14
ASU 23-14
Oregon 22-14
OSU 22-15

Only WSU, Washington, Stanfurd and Arizona had below .500 records during those 3 years. So, actually the Pac-10 was historically strong during Tedford's best years. Heck, Alabama's record during those same 3 years was only 22-15, the same as Oregon State and below the top 5 teams in the Pac-10.

Exactly, one of our curses is that those great teams were in a historic high point for PAC-10 football. A few years earlier and we'd have multiple Rose Bowls.

However, if Aaron Rodgers came back in 2005, with Marshawn Lynch at RB and Desean Jackson at WR, it would not matter who we played.
Oski87
calumnus said:

Golden One said:

heartofthebear said:

Golden One said:

USC 36-3
Cal 28-9
UCLA 23-14
ASU 23-14
Oregon 22-14
OSU 22-15

Exactly, one of our curses is that those great teams were in a historic high point for PAC-10 football. A few years earlier and we'd have multiple Rose Bowls.

However, if Aaron Rodgers came back in 2005, with Marshawn Lynch at RB and Desean Jackson at WR, it would not matter who we played.
Can you imagine going to Tennessee with that crew? That would have been a much more pleasant trip.

Oregon and USC were very good during the 2000s as was Cal. USC in fact was historically good and almost won three national titles while Cal beat them once and lost in 2004.

The PAC 12 was often talked about as the second or third best conference in the 2000s. That is why we got a big boost up with the re-alignment, etc. Had we partnered with ESPN and built our network with them we would have continued to be a top-tier conference and the 2 or 3 million from our network would probably be about 20 million per school now.

In fact, it could be said that the PAC 12 is down because Cal is down.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.