USC being USC

5,825 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearForce2
MilleniaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Homeless Guy Part of the team

Probably found out because he was the only one without a new car and an agent.
PHBear
I wonder if there's video of him trying to shag the punts
UrsineMaximus
Good for him, he's displayed some survival techniques but screwed up by not staying "blended" in. When infiltrating a group never stand out ~ so fielding punts was a no-no. I don't doubt he will re-surface on their campus one day.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Post removed by request of the author.
flounder
we literally had people sitting in trees and throwing urine filled bottles at law enforcement for over a year.
cyrusthebear
what's in worse shape, the homelessness situation in Socal or Norcal?
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
going4roses
Good he hadn't given up and was still trying
dimitrig
MilleniaBear said:

Homeless guy in LA?

Probably has both!

BearForce2
flounder said:

we literally had people sitting in trees and throwing urine filled bottles at law enforcement for over a year.

Yeah, the same guys are probably coming back when they start building dorms at People's Park.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
calumnus
BearForce2 said:

flounder said:

Yeah, the same guys are probably coming back when they start building dorms at People's Park.

But the Panoramic Hill residents won't pay for that.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear

DAY 45:

01Bear
dimitrig said:

MilleniaBear said:

Homeless guy in LA?

Probably has both!

You probably think you were being clever, but your comment is anything but. If anything, it's insensitive and insulting to people who are struggling with homelessness for whatever reason. Yeah, we all encountered homeless folks at Cal. We learned to live with them and eventually some folks learned not to see them, let alone see them as people who are equally full of human dignity and deserving of respect. But that says more about the callousness of some folks than it does about the homeless folks they ignored. Mocking and ridiculing the homeless is beyond callous, it's a total pr*ck move. I would expect that of a Furd or a Trojan, but not of a fellow Cal alum. You're better than that.
dimitrig
01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

MilleniaBear said:

Homeless guy in LA?

Probably has both!

You probably think you were being clever, but your comment is anything but. If anything, it's insensitive and insulting to people who are struggling with homelessness for whatever reason. Yeah, we all encountered homeless folks at Cal. We learned to live with them and eventually some folks learned not to see them, let alone see them as people who are equally full of human dignity and deserving of respect. But that says more about the callousness of some folks than it does about the homeless folks they ignored. Mocking and ridiculing the homeless is beyond callous, it's a total pr*ck move. I would expect that of a Furd or a Trojan, but not of a fellow Cal alum. You're better than that.

You probably never lived in LA.

I have known a more than one struggling actor/screenwriter/producer who was homeless but who had both a nice car and an agent.

Bearly Clad
MilleniaBear said:

And he was way academically overqualified for their football program
01Bear
dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

MilleniaBear said:

Homeless guy in LA?

Probably has both!

I have known a more than one struggling actor/screenwriter/producer who was homeless but who had both a nice car and an agent.

I've met quite a few homeless folks in LA. They weren't actors. They had neither cars nor agents. Walk around LA and visit the homeless encampments, speak with the folks there, then tell us how many of them have cars and agents.
dimitrig
Bearly Clad said:

MilleniaBear said:

And he was way academically overqualified for their football program

"If he hadn't tried to return punts at practice, he might still be out there because they might not have noticed him."

He should have done it at Cal.

dimitrig
01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

MilleniaBear said:

Homeless guy in LA?

Probably has both!

I've met quite a few homeless folks in LA. They weren't actors. They had neither cars nor agents. Walk around LA and visit the homeless encampments, speak with the folks there, then tell us how many of them have cars and agents.

I have visited acquaintances at the housing they had to get on a long waitlist for and let me tell you that I have seen a lot and heard it all. A murder happened in the hallway of one place. Prior to being lucky enough to get the place my acquaintance lived out of his car until he had to sell it to survive. Yes, he did have an agent and no he was not the only one. A lot of struggling creative types lived in his building.

However, those people in the encampments aren't so much homeless as they are mentally ill. I mean, they are obviously homeless but that isn't their primary problem. It's mental illness and drugs in that order.

What you call homeless we used to call "street people" because that is what they are and nothing you can do for them will change that short of instituitionalizing them. Allowing them to build tent cities is unacceptable. Most of those people need serious help and it goes far beyond putting a roof over their heads. I am sure you know that. It is not a homeless crisis, it is a mental health and drug crisis.

01Bear
dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

MilleniaBear said:

Homeless guy in LA?

Probably has both!

I have visited acquaintances at the housing they had to get on a long waitlist for and let me tell you that I have seen a lot and heard it all. A murder happened in the hallway of one place. Prior to being lucky enough to get the place my acquaintance lived out of his car until he had to sell it to survive. Yes, he did have an agent and no he was not the only one. A lot of struggling creative types lived in his building.

However, those people in the encampments aren't so much homeless as they are mentally ill. I mean, they are obviously homeless but that isn't their primary problem. It's mental illness and drugs in that order.

What you call homeless we used to call "street people" because that is what they are and nothing you can do for them will change that short of instituitionalizing them. Allowing them to build tent cities is unacceptable. Most of those people need serious help and it goes far beyond putting a roof over their heads. I am sure you know that. It is not a homeless crisis, it is a mental health and drug crisis.

The only point with which I'd disagree with you is the suggestion that people in the homeless encampments should not be considered homeless. They're homeless by definition. They may not meet your implied criteria of "worthy homelessness" but just because they're not struggling actors doesn't make them suddenly not homeless. While they have different struggles than your homeless actor friends, that doesn't mean they should be further marginalized or ignored when one considers the homeless and how reduce homelessness. If mental healthcare and drug abuse care is necessary, then they need to be put on the table along with low or no income housing.

In any case, that you pretty much chose to ignore the "street people" for whatever reason with your comment does bot reflect positively on you, IMHO.
Fyght4Cal
dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

MilleniaBear said:

Homeless guy in LA?

Probably has both!

While there are mental health and drug epidemics in LA, there is also a larger affordable housing crisis. Working people are being forced out of their housing by rising rents, gentrification, and housing discrimination (racism). In the meantime, neither governments nor the 'market' are able to meet the needs of the population.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
01Bear
Fyght4Cal said:

dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

MilleniaBear said:

Homeless guy in LA?

Probably has both!

While there are mental health and drug epidemics in LA, there is also a larger affordable housing crisis. Working people are being forced out of their housing by rising rents, gentrification, and housing discrimination (racism). In the meantime, neither governments nor the 'market' are able to meet the needs of the population.

Agreed 100%.
dimitrig
Fyght4Cal said:

What constitutes an "affordable housing crisis"?

Does Beverly Hills have an affordable housing crisis, too? I mean, I can't possibly afford to live there on my salary so I guess I'll just pitch a tent on the sidewalk there. Think how much I'd save in mortgage payments and my kids would be going to better schools, too! I bet my overall quality of life might go up if I could park an old RV on Rodeo!

If one is complaining that Santa Monica, Venice, and DTLA are too expensive then find somewhere cheaper to live. There is a lot of affordable housing in the US and if you want subsidized housing you can get it. You might need to be on a waitlist for a while, but you can get it. I know many people who have. However, that housing has some requirements that a lot of homeless people either can't or won't abide by.

A lot of these people are "shelter resistant."

"In dozens of interviews with unsheltered people in LA over the past year, many told CNN they won't apply for housing because they are afraid of the police, or unable to access the right documents to apply for ID, or sometimes simply wary of losing their independence if they are forced to live under rules that might be imposed if they moved into subsidized housing facilities."

(Source: https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/18/politics/los-angeles-homeless-crisis/index.html)

dimitrig
01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

MilleniaBear said:

Homeless guy in LA?

Probably has both!

The only point with which I'd disagree with you is the suggestion that people in the homeless encampments should not be considered homeless. They're homeless by definition. They may not meet your implied criteria of "worthy homelessness" but just because they're not struggling actors doesn't make them suddenly not homeless. While they have different struggles than your homeless actor friends, that doesn't mean they should be further marginalized or ignored when one considers the homeless and how reduce homelessness. If mental healthcare and drug abuse care is necessary, then they need to be put on the table along with low or no income housing.

In any case, that you pretty much chose to ignore the "street people" for whatever reason with your comment does bot reflect positively on you, IMHO.

So MilleniaBear says about the homeless guy being found out:

"Probably found out because he was the only one without a new car and an agent."

To which I replied:

"Probably has both!"

You called this "insensitive and insulting and also said I was "Mocking and ridiculing the homeless."

I'm not really sure what your agenda is here, but if you wanted to have an honest discussion about homelessness starting it with insults wasn't the way to approach it.

That doesn't reflect positively on you.

Fyght4Cal
dimitrig said:

Fyght4Cal said:

What constitutes an "affordable housing crisis"?

Does Beverly Hills have an affordable housing crisis, too? I mean, I can't possibly afford to live there on my salary so I guess I'll just pitch a tent on the sidewalk there. Think how much I'd save in mortgage payments and my kids would be going to better schools, too! I bet my overall quality of life might go up if I could park an old RV on Rodeo!

If one is complaining that Santa Monica, Venice, and DTLA are too expensive then find somewhere cheaper to live. There is a lot of affordable housing in the US and if you want subsidized housing you can get it. You might need to be on a waitlist for a while, but you can get it. I know many people who have. However, that housing has some requirements that a lot of homeless people either can't or won't abide by.

A lot of these people are "shelter resistant."

"In dozens of interviews with unsheltered people in LA over the past year, many told CNN they won't apply for housing because they are afraid of the police, or unable to access the right documents to apply for ID, or sometimes simply wary of losing their independence if they are forced to live under rules that might be imposed if they moved into subsidized housing facilities."

(Source: https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/18/politics/los-angeles-homeless-crisis/index.html)

Putting aside the fallacious reasoning, the story is a lack of affordable housing - there are 286,844 affordable housing units and 1.3 million Californians who live below the poverty

Read it and weep-https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-s-rising-rents-severe-housing-shortage-fuel-homelessness-n1127216
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
BearForce2
calumnus said:

BearForce2 said:

flounder said:

There are enough NIMBY's in Berkeley that will.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
01Bear
dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

MilleniaBear said:

Homeless guy in LA?

Probably has both!

"Probably found out because he was the only one without a new car and an agent."

To which I replied:

"Probably has both!"

You called this "insensitive and insulting and also said I was "Mocking and ridiculing the homeless."

I'm not really sure what your agenda is here, but if you wanted to have an honest discussion about homelessness starting it with insults wasn't the way to approach it.

TBH, I had not intended to enter a discussion of homelessness and how to resolve it. My intention was to advise you not to be a d-bag without actually calling you a d-bag. Your reply to MilleniamBear was very d-baggy as it mocked the homeless. That you then doubled down on it and insisted on knowing some artists who had been homeless and had agents only worsened matters, as those artists were obviously not representative of homeless folks in general not even of homeless folks in LA. That you then went off on trying to establish a distinction between the "worthy" homeless and the unworthy "street people" just served to reveal just how quickly you dehumanize people who are different from you or who have struggles you can't even imagine.

All in all, you've only served to portray yourself as a complete and utter d-bag.
calumnus
BearForce2 said:

calumnus said:

BearForce2 said:

flounder said:

I am pretty sure the businesses and residents near Telegraph welcome student dorms replacing People's Park.
BearForce2
calumnus said:

BearForce2 said:

calumnus said:

BearForce2 said:

flounder said:

I am pretty sure the businesses and residents near Telegraph welcome student dorms replacing People's Park.

Actually you're right, there is overwhelming support from the community to build the dorms but you wouldn't know it based on the protests.

AunBear89
Chapman_is_Gone
01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

MilleniaBear said:

Homeless guy in LA?

Probably has both!

To which I replied:

"Probably has both!"

TBH, I had not intended to enter a discussion of homelessness and how to resolve it. My intention was to advise you not to be a d-bag without actually calling you a d-bag. Your reply to MilleniamBear was very d-baggy as it mocked the homeless. That you then doubled down on it and insisted on knowing some artists who had been homeless and had agents only worsened matters, as those artists were obviously not representative of homeless folks in general not even of homeless folks in LA. That you then went off on trying to establish a distinction between the "worthy" homeless and the unworthy "street people" just served to reveal just how quickly you dehumanize people who are different from you or who have struggles you can't even imagine.

All in all, you've only served to portray yourself as a complete and utter d-bag.

In your postings, 01Bear, many times you have shown yourself to be an utter dbag as well. I can guarantee you at least 33%-50% of this board disagrees with your comments on homelessness, but I for one have no interest in discussing the topic on this board. Maybe you should go and join the other liberal fools over on Berkeleyside, where they coddle the homeless and every other article is about race.
AunBear89
Page 1 of Chapman_is_Gone debate playbook: call names and make generalizations.
bearister
One thing I will say about the Berkeleyside, however, is that a couple of years ago I attended a politically controversial criminal trial and Emilie Raguso reported on it for The Berkeleyside. Her article was so full of facts that it was almost she like she must have been taking them down like a court reporter. She did not editorialize in the article. It was A+. I have never seen reporting on a courtroom proceeding like that before.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearForce2

footage of AunBear pre-pandemic
01Bear
Chapman_is_Gone said:

01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

MilleniaBear said:

Homeless guy in LA?

Probably has both!

To which I replied:

"Probably has both!"

In your postings, 01Bear, many times you have shown yourself to be an utter dbag as well. I can guarantee you at least 33%-50% of this board disagrees with your comments on homelessness, but I for one have no interest in discussing the topic on this board. Maybe you should go and join the other liberal fools over on Berkeleyside, where they coddle the homeless and every other article is about race.

Being called a dbag and a fool by you is a compliment. You've shown time and again that you're a narrow minded POS. I take that back, calling you a POS would be an insult to feces.

What you call "coddling" the homeless is really just me respecting the inherent humanity in others. As for bringing up race in discussions, I agree that is tiresome. In fact, it's almost as tiresome as having to live with one's race being an issue on a daily basis, as people of color have to do on a daily basis. There's a solution to both our concerns: end racism. Once people of color no longer have to worry about their race being a barrier to equal treatment, then they won't have to bring it up any longer. Of course, that's not something you and your ilk would ever consider, since you think racism is either (1) not a problem or (2) a feature.
Chapman_is_Gone
01Bear said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

01Bear said:

dimitrig said:

MilleniaBear said:

Homeless guy in LA?

Probably has both!

To which I replied:

"Probably has both!"

Being called a dbag and a fool by you is a compliment. You've shown time and again that you're a narrow minded POS. I take that back, you give being a POS a bad name. What you call "coddling" the homeless is really just me respecting the inherent humanity in others. As for bringing up race in discussions, I agree that is tiresome. In fact, it's almost as tiresome as having to live with ones race being an issue on a daily basis, as people of color have to do on a daily basis. There's a solution to both our concerns: end racism. Once people of color no longer have to worry about their race being a barrier to equal treatment, then they won't have to bring it up any longer. Of course, that's not something you and your ilk would ever consider, since you think racism is either (1) not a problem or (2) a feature.

Wow, you're so wise.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.