A Stanford story you can (Bryce) Love

7 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by GivemTheAxe
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Injured vs Cal.
Good luck to the young man, either way.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bryce-loves-release-by-washington-serves-as-cautionary-tale-for-nfl-prospects-on-the-fence-020611956.html
chalcidbear
I'm not really a fan of this type of "precautionary" tale. So what if he chose to forego his senior year in college? In that case, he'd have been in the NFL on the early side, and maybe would have had his ACL torn up more or suffered another type of devastating injury?
BearSD
It's a cautionary tale because the message is: If you have the chance to get big money before you get injured, do it, instead of picking up a career-threatening injury in college, where the only people who are getting rich are the coaches.

The Kentucky basketball coach, John Calipari, said he once told a player who was a good NBA prospect, "If you want to take care of your family, turn pro; if you want to take care of my family, stay in college."
burritos
The cautionary tale is to run behind a world class o-line to goose your stats. Any doubts that J. Best wouldn't have had similar stats with the same supporting crew?
calumnus
chalcidbear said:

I'm not really a fan of this type of "precautionary" tale. So what if he chose to forego his senior year in college? In that case, he'd have been in the NFL on the early side, and maybe would have had his ACL torn up more or suffered another type of devastating injury?

After earning first round money....
concordtom
BearSD said:

It's a cautionary tale because the message is: If you have the chance to get big money before you get injured, do it, instead of picking up a career-threatening injury in college, where the only people who are getting rich are the coaches.

The Kentucky basketball coach, John Calipari, said he once told a player who was a good NBA prospect, "If you want to take care of your family, turn pro; if you want to take care of my family, stay in college."
That's an awesome quote. I haven't heard that one before - at least not quite like that.
Big C
concordtom said:

BearSD said:

That's an awesome quote. I haven't heard that one before - at least not quite like that.

I will go out on a limb and say that Mark Fox has not had occasion to say that to a player recently. Maybe he pleaded to Matt Bradley: "Please don't leave and take care of another coach's family; stay here and take care of my family."

Sigh...
calumnus
Big C said:

concordtom said:

BearSD said:

I will go out on a limb and say that Mark Fox has not had occasion to say that to a player recently. Maybe he pleaded to Matt Bradley: "Please don't leave and take care of another coach's family; stay here and take care of my family."

Sigh...

Fox had three early entrants at Georgia: Trey Thompson and Travis Leslie in 2011 and then Kentavious Caldwell-Pope in 2013. From all accounts he was encouraging and had their best interests in mind, wishing them well.

On the other hand Monty supposedly tried to talk several of his Stanford players out of early entry and tried to talk Ryan Anderson into staying at Cal. He might have viewed that as being in their best interest.
GMP
chalcidbear said:

And he would have been paid.
Big C
calumnus said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

BearSD said:

Sigh...

Fox had three early entrants at Georgia: Trey Thompson and Travis Leslie in 2011 and then Kentavious Caldwell-Pope in 2013. From all accounts he was encouraging and had their best interests in mind, wishing them well.

On the other hand Monty supposedly tried to talk several of his Stanford players out of early entry and tried to talk Ryan Anderson into staying at Cal. He might have viewed that as being in their best interest.

Yeah, I think you know I was making a snide remark about his recruiting, here at Cal.

Ryan Anderson staying at Cal for four years sure would've been in MY best interests, as a fan! I'm still drooling at what might've been with that.
ColoradoBear
calumnus said:

chalcidbear said:

Bryce Love was not projected to be a 1st rounder in 2018 though. Probably low 2/high 3. His pre-injury 2019 season would likely solidify that, or even drop him a bit.

According to spotrac, the slotted signing bonus for that draft is around $1-1.4 million.

But as a 4th rounder, he received a $750k signing bonus in 2019 and $850k for the 2020 season for a total of $1.6 million.

Hard to really say how much the injury cost him - but if he had gone to the draft in 2018, and was injured at the same stage of the 2018 NFL season, his team would have had to keep him on roster and pay until he had rehabbed. So I guess one could consider the decision to stay in school as costing him 1 season of pay (850k) and the difference in signing bonus (~500k).

NFL is a tough league for RBs as their careers are often short due to injuries, and raises after the rookie contract are reserved for only the standouts, as an avg RB can be easily replaced by another rookie on a cheap contract.

calumnus
ColoradoBear said:

calumnus said:

chalcidbear said:

Bryce Love was not projected to be a 1st rounder in 2018 though. Probably low 2/high 3. His pre-injury 2019 season would likely solidify that, or even drop him a bit.

According to spotrac, the slotted signing bonus for that draft is around $1-1.4 million.

But as a 4th rounder, he received a $750k signing bonus in 2019 and $850k for the 2020 season for a total of $1.6 million.

Hard to really say how much the injury cost him - but if he had gone to the draft in 2018, and was injured at the same stage of the 2018 NFL season, his team would have had to keep him on roster and pay until he had rehabbed. So I guess one could consider the decision to stay in school as costing him 1 season of pay (850k) and the difference in signing bonus (~500k).

NFL is a tough league for RBs as their careers are often short due to injuries, and raises after the rookie contract are reserved for only the standouts, as an avg RB can be easily replaced by another rookie on a cheap contract.

I think that last part is a key component in the equation: the short careers of most RBs combined with high injury potential. RB's should leave ASAP if they are already a first or second rounder.
calumnus
Big C said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

BearSD said:

Sigh...

Yeah, I think you know I was making a snide remark about his recruiting, here at Cal.

Ryan Anderson staying at Cal for four years sure would've been in MY best interests, as a fan! I'm still drooling at what might've been with that.

Yeah, I knew that, I just wanted to take the opportunity to say something nice about Mark Fox.
Big C
calumnus said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

BearSD said:

Sigh...

Yeah, I knew that, I just wanted to take the opportunity to say something nice about Mark Fox.

First time for everything!
calumnus
Big C said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

BearSD said:

Sigh...

First time for everything!

Not the first time, but I acknowledge that the percentage is low.

Here is another. Many other coaches find him to be a really nice guy. Many of the other coaches in the SEC made public statements on his behalf urging the Georgia AD to give him more time.
Lomiton
ColoradoBear said:

calumnus said:

chalcidbear said:

14er: This is along the lines of what I heard and might have ended sliding down the draft order even further than what you projected him at. Like around where he ended up going the following year in the 4th round.

Make ZERO mistake about it, 999 out of 1000 college players are going to go to the show unless they truly believe that an extra year in college will make them more money/better opportunity. No question that Love (and his advisors) figured that another year at Stanford fully healthy would boost his draft stock back up the chart.

Based upon what happened to him, clearly he should have left for the NFL after his Jr. year but that is a hindsite call.

Of course, Love's Plan B post football career is not too shabby.
GivemTheAxe
Lomiton said:

ColoradoBear said:

calumnus said:

chalcidbear said:

14er: This is along the lines of what I heard and might have ended sliding down the draft order even further than what you projected him at. Like around where he ended up going the following year in the 4th round.

Make ZERO mistake about it, 999 out of 1000 college players are going to go to the show unless they truly believe that an extra year in college will make them more money/better opportunity. No question that Love (and his advisors) figured that another year at Stanford fully healthy would boost his draft stock back up the chart.

Based upon what happened to him, clearly he should have left for the NFL after his Jr. year but that is a hindsite call.

Of course, Love's Plan B post football career is not too shabby.

And his chances of having a longer and more successful career in medicine are much greater now that he is avoiding the possibility/likelihood of brain damage arising from the pounding he would have received as a Pro-level running back.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.