USC scandals have no shock value anymore

12,604 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by oski003
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Unit2Sucks said:

wifeisafurd said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Well this was an interesting thread to read. I must have missed it the first time around. Thank God I did or 01bear would have verbally beaten me up. I think the safest thing for us all is to invoke the new Jon Gruden rule: don't ever write anything you don't want read in court.
I can recall in my legal firm's harassment training my LDS employment law partner who was leading the training, saying adopt the LDS standard: when you think about something sexual, write about ice cream, and when you think about racial groups, write like you want to convert those groups. It was meant as joke, but the point was being made on what you put in emails. This was before gay rights were on the radar, so I don't know what he would say today. The Gruden rule seems like a good idea, though amusing since lawyers are some of the worse in saying what would be offensive to third parties not involved in the original email chain - hence why the law firms had training. Just thinking about it, I doubt Bearsiter and I would want to defend some of our posts here in a court room.

I always tell people to imagine how good they would look on the witness stand or testifying before congress ... with a posterboard behind them showing a printout of their email or slack message.

Okay, I am starting to understand that recent BI thread about ice cream now, but I had no clue when I posted on it 3-4 times, I swear.
BearForce2
Unit2Sucks said:

wifeisafurd said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Well this was an interesting thread to read. I must have missed it the first time around. Thank God I did or 01bear would have verbally beaten me up. I think the safest thing for us all is to invoke the new Jon Gruden rule: don't ever write anything you don't want read in court.
I can recall in my legal firm's harassment training my LDS employment law partner who was leading the training, saying adopt the LDS standard: when you think about something sexual, write about ice cream, and when you think about racial groups, write like you want to convert those groups. It was meant as joke, but the point was being made on what you put in emails. This was before gay rights were on the radar, so I don't know what he would say today. The Gruden rule seems like a good idea, though amusing since lawyers are some of the worse in saying what would be offensive to third parties not involved in the original email chain - hence why the law firms had training. Just thinking about it, I doubt Bearsiter and I would want to defend some of our posts here in a court room.

I always tell people to imagine how good they would look on the witness stand or testifying before congress ... with a posterboard behind them showing a printout of their email or slack message.

Or printouts of BI posts. There's 4 years worth of hilarious Russia collusion hoax posts over on the OT board by people who claim to have graduated from Cal.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
okaydo
wifeisafurd
BearBoarBlarney said:

USC's PR machine is working double-time to address these grievous claims.

Here's the cover of the 2021 Song Girl Media Guide. Notice that Lori "Cruella De Vil" Nelson is nowhere to be found.

so breaking my own rules, I heard with all the roster changes at Furd recently, one of the girls also will be playing oline. Can truth be a defense?
wifeisafurd
okaydo said:

How USC (if you don't capitalize, why does BI spellchecker change USC to "use"?).
bearister
Question for U$C Administration:

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
SoCalie
SoCalie
SoCalie
SoCalie
SoCalie
SoCalie
O1 Bear, were your raised by a single mom - with a lot of strong women around - and some sisters? I'm trying to understand how you have such a highly evolved perspective on this.
SoCalie
SoCalie
sosheezy
Speaking of scandals, this Jayden de Laura (UofA QB) story is pretty terrible, but looks like UofA is washing their hands of any responsibility to even address it.

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/football/arizona-qb-jayden-de-laura-settles-sexual-assault-case-from-high-school/article_4ad45b54-ea43-11ed-a4ca-07f5f3ded5eb.html

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2023/05/04/former-hawaii-high-school-football-stars-settle-civil-lawsuit-over-sex-assault-case/
okaydo
GivemTheAxe
01Bear said:

socaltownie said:

Yeah - I try to be an enlightened male. I gotta a daughter that is the apple in my eye and I want her to seize the world by its throat and subdue it all while looking marvelous in high heels.

But I DON"T get this. You make a choice. You are there TO be oggled. This isn't rocket science and it isn't like you can't look at the sweaters, the make up, the skirts, etc. etc. etc. and not realize that being a song girl IS about being objectified.

And then, when you ARE objectified and abused for not fitting in the tight barbie ideal you complain.

Look, this isn't workplace harrasment. No one's life is or isn't going to be determined by their skills with a pom pom. I also get that I am a guy so I dont' face this and it is really hard to walk in someone elses shoes and I am willing to listen but, again, I just don't sympathize.

No, they're not there to be ogled, they're there to dance and lead cheers. They are not there to be objectified and ogled. If you can't understand that, then I'm not sure how you'll teach your daughter to be a string and independent young woman. You're basically telling her that women are merely sex objects, especially when they dress comfortably. You'll be teaching her that if she gets sexually assaulted (and odds are, she or one of her four closest friend will be raped in their lifetimes*), it's her fault for dressing a certain way.

Look, I'm every bit as much of a testosterone driven neanderthal. When I see a pretty woman, I appreciate her beauty. Heck, I may can have a crude thought or two. But what I don't do is think she dressed up for me to ogle or objectify. I don't pretend pretty girls who choose to dance are really choosing to show off their bodies for men. I don't pretend that everything women do is centered around how to attract men. Neither do I think men are in any way entitled to women's bodies just because the latter happen to be exposed in some way.

This doesn't mean I'm woke. This is because I actually respect women. If you really love your daughter, this is exactly what you should be demanding of the men in the world around her.

*See, https://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/publications_nsvrc_factsheet_media-packet_statistics-about-sexual-violence_0.pdf

I totally agree with almost everything you say.
Except for your statement that you are not "woke".

That term is defined as "being aware of discrimination and social injustice". It has been publicly attached to those on the Left by many on those on the Right as a derogatory term.

But it really is not limited to the Left or Right any more than "Love thy neighbor" is limited to Left or Right.

You might not consider yourself "woke" because of all the negative connotations that have been attributed to that term by some people. But you certainly sound like you are. And that is not a bad thing any more than "Love thy neighbor" is a bad thing
Rushinbear
GivemTheAxe said:

01Bear said:

socaltownie said:

Yeah - I try to be an enlightened male. I gotta a daughter that is the apple in my eye and I want her to seize the world by its throat and subdue it all while looking marvelous in high heels.

But I DON"T get this. You make a choice. You are there TO be oggled. This isn't rocket science and it isn't like you can't look at the sweaters, the make up, the skirts, etc. etc. etc. and not realize that being a song girl IS about being objectified.

And then, when you ARE objectified and abused for not fitting in the tight barbie ideal you complain.

Look, this isn't workplace harrasment. No one's life is or isn't going to be determined by their skills with a pom pom. I also get that I am a guy so I dont' face this and it is really hard to walk in someone elses shoes and I am willing to listen but, again, I just don't sympathize.

No, they're not there to be ogled, they're there to dance and lead cheers. They are not there to be objectified and ogled. If you can't understand that, then I'm not sure how you'll teach your daughter to be a string and independent young woman. You're basically telling her that women are merely sex objects, especially when they dress comfortably. You'll be teaching her that if she gets sexually assaulted (and odds are, she or one of her four closest friend will be raped in their lifetimes*), it's her fault for dressing a certain way.

Look, I'm every bit as much of a testosterone driven neanderthal. When I see a pretty woman, I appreciate her beauty. Heck, I may can have a crude thought or two. But what I don't do is think she dressed up for me to ogle or objectify. I don't pretend pretty girls who choose to dance are really choosing to show off their bodies for men. I don't pretend that everything women do is centered around how to attract men. Neither do I think men are in any way entitled to women's bodies just because the latter happen to be exposed in some way.

This doesn't mean I'm woke. This is because I actually respect women. If you really love your daughter, this is exactly what you should be demanding of the men in the world around her.

*See, https://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/publications_nsvrc_factsheet_media-packet_statistics-about-sexual-violence_0.pdf

That term is defined as "being aware of discrimination and social injustice". It has been publicly attached to those on the Left by many on those on the Right as a derogatory term.

But it really is not limited to the Left or Right any more than "Love thy neighbor" is limited to Left or Right.

You might not consider yourself "woke" because of all the negative connotations that have been attributed to that term by some people. But you certainly sound like you are. And that is not a bad thing any more than "Love thy neighbor" is a bad thing
That def of woke is out-dated. It now refers to that batch of radical remedies TO discrimination and social injustice that have been inflicted on the nation by the radical Left.
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
mbBear
Rushinbear said:

GivemTheAxe said:

01Bear said:

socaltownie said:

That def of woke is out-dated. It now refers to that batch of radical remedies TO discrimination and social injustice that have been inflicted on the nation by the radical Left.
How you define MAGA without saying MAGA...that was awesome!
Goobear
mbBear said:

Rushinbear said:

GivemTheAxe said:

01Bear said:

socaltownie said:

Not a MAGA guy but agree with RB
okaydo
Woke is a word that Republicans like to throw around that could literally mean anything, but it's mostly about diversity.

It's like calling somebody a commie in the 60s.

Except the Republicans keep using it and losing elections because most people don't really care about "woke."

That's why they won't have a republican president for at least another decade.
mbBear
Goobear said:

mbBear said:

Rushinbear said:

GivemTheAxe said:

01Bear said:

socaltownie said:

Not a MAGA guy but agree with RB

"Radical left"....the 60s want their lingo back..lol ..
Just spit-balling here but maybe changing discrimination and social injustice takes some real effort? But don't worry, I'm Jewish and promise not to replace you... meet you in Charlottesville for a cold one oh Proud one ..
Rushinbear
okaydo said:

Woke is a word that Republicans like to throw around that could literally mean anything, but it's mostly about diversity.

Except the Republicans keep using it and losing elections because most people don't really care about "woke."

Hence the demise of Bud Light and maybe the whole AB company.

As to Repubs losing, I agree. Repubs are weak and listless. Don't know how to be political. Even after COVID enabled moms to see what is really being taught...and not taught...in the schools. Even after it has become obvious that the march toward diversity and equity, as it is being directed, is bringing us closer to the cliff. Are we going over it? Ask Gavin.
mbBear
Rushinbear said:

okaydo said:

As to Repubs losing, I agree. Repubs are weak and listless. Don't know how to be political. Even after COVID enabled moms to see what is really being taught...and not taught...in the schools. Even after it has become obvious that the march toward diversity and equity, as it is being directed, is bringing us closer to the cliff. Are we going over it? Ask Gavin.
Well, the increase in antisemitism activity, let alone hate crimes and activity in the Asian community, is helping solve your concern with that march to diversity and equity, so you can probably feel some relief on that front.
Rushinbear
mbBear said:

Rushinbear said:

okaydo said:

Well, the increase in antisemitism activity, let alone hate crimes and activity in the Asian community, is helping solve your concern with that march to diversity and equity, so you can probably feel some relief on that front.
As I've said before, if you like your morning sausage, never visit a sausage factory. I made that mistake years ago and am still suffering the consequences.

I deplore antisemitism, hate crimes and "activity in the Asian community", whatever that means, but any questions as to the righteousness of diversity being met with this kind of diversion is an attempt at distraction, at best.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Rushinbear said:

okaydo said:

FYI, AB stock prices are up 10% in the last 3 months. The boycott isn't affecting them much so far.

That said, it's tough to concentrate on how much SC sucks when you guys bring your partisan political bickering into this thread.
Rushinbear
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Rushinbear said:

okaydo said:

FYI, AB stock prices are up 10% in the last 3 months. The boycott isn't affecting them much so far.

That said, it's tough to concentrate on how much SC sucks when you guys bring your partisan political bickering into this thread.
My dear grandmother said that silence equals consent.
mbBear
Rushinbear said:

Rushinbear said:

okaydo said:

My dear grandmother said that silence equals consent.
Or silence equals respecting the rules of the board, as I realize I wasn't doing. Apologies to others for entering into the fray...
oski003

Rushinbear said:

okaydo said:

Coors is up 25% in this time period.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.