Aaron Rodgers exiting the Pack?

5,459 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Big C
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Bearly Clad
Maybe an unpopular opinion around here but if the 49ers want Rodgers they should have drafted him in '05. They don't deserve him, I mean it's debatable whether the Packers do either but still...
WalterSobchak
Or just offer #3 + Warner + Bosa
I'm sure that would probably get it done.
okaydo
Jason Wilde = Co-host of "The Aaron Rodgers Show."

okaydo
For those who don't know: In the first 17-game season, the NFL scheduled a Packers-Chiefs game as the 17th game because Mahomes was injured during their first matchup in 2019 and they weren't scheduled to play again until 2023.

philbert

okaydo

philbert

okaydo
okaydo

Bearly Clad
I'll freely admit I have no idea how much of this is true but the drama is entertaining as hell. Anyone who doesn't agree is in denial that the NFL is the greatest soap opera in the world and for a third of the year they even have football games too!
WalterSobchak
philbert said:

Newsflash to East Coast writers (who I'm sure are avid BI readers):
Denver is not considered the west coast by anyone who lives here.
Neither is Vegas, but it's a short enough trip to make it work.
But if Rodgers told his agent "west coast" that means California.
Would be hilarious to see Rams deal Stafford to get Rodgers.
Would be great for Cal to have Rodgers go to the Niners and win SB.
Bobodeluxe
He's too cocky for Santa Clara.
Bearly Clad
Or Seattle, just throwing that one out there to stir the pot. I still think this is just about a contract extension bc the Packers tried to publicly strongarm Aaron into restructuring by leaking that they were planning on using the restructure to finally get him some real help on offense. Aaron (I assume, this next part didn't happen publicly) told them "if you want to get me help do it with your own assets like draft picks in rounds 1-4 instead of telling me to give up my own salary to help myself"

There's more and more reports coming out like this though, maybe it's a strong negotiating tactic, maybe there's some truth and some exaggeration to it, and maybe Aaron is really ****ing done with GB and is ready to let them learn how hard it is to find and develop an elite QB in the modern era
okaydo
Bearly Clad said:

I'll freely admit I have no idea how much of this is true but the drama is entertaining as hell. Anyone who doesn't agree is in denial that the NFL is the greatest soap opera in the world and for a third of the year they even have football games too!

As one of the tweets above said, it's all intentional that it's coming out today.

And it's pretty much true.

Heck, here's Mike Silver.

okaydo

71Bear
Bearly Clad said:

Maybe an unpopular opinion around here but if the 49ers want Rodgers they should have drafted him in '05. They don't deserve him, I mean it's debatable whether the Packers do either but still...
What about the other 21 teams that passed on him? Heck, Dallas passed twice.

People always forget that SF was not the only team to make a big mistake. 2/3 of the league did, including the Oakland Raiders.
WalterSobchak
71Bear said:

Bearly Clad said:

People always forget that SF was not the only team to make a big mistake. 2/3 of the league did, including the Oakland Raiders.
Yeah but AR didn't leave early for 21 other teams. He left early because he was the clear #1 QB available and his childhood team had the #1 pick.
71Bear
okaydo said:

For those who don't know: In the first 17-game season, the NFL scheduled a Packers-Chiefs game as the 17th game because Mahomes was injured during their first matchup in 2019 and they weren't scheduled to play again until 2023.

That is not true. The NFL used a formula based upon the 2019 standings that coincidentally matched KC and GB.
71Bear
WalterSobchak said:

71Bear said:

Bearly Clad said:

Yeah but AR didn't leave early for 21 other teams. He left early because he was the clear #1 QB available and his childhood team had the #1 pick.
Rodgers is not stupid and anyone who thinks he can predict the draft is an idiot (unless their name is Lawrence). I do not believe for a second what you wrote is true.

Heck, even Manning was not a sure thing to be #1.
BearlyCareAnymore
71Bear said:

Bearly Clad said:

Don't remind me. Back when I cared about the Raiders I couldn't believe Rodgers was dropping that far. That pick, one before GB killed me. It would have completely changed the trajectory of the franchise.

And then, Jamarcus.
WalterSobchak
71Bear said:

WalterSobchak said:

71Bear said:

Bearly Clad said:

Rodgers is not stupid and anyone who thinks he can predict the draft is an idiot (unless their name is Lawrence). I do not believe for a second what you wrote is true.

OK, don't believe it. But believe this: Only one team among those who "made a mistake" as you say did so by selecting a different QB. All of the 21 others thought they had their QB and chose another position. Except of course the Niners.
okaydo
There was a story this morning that the NFL was worried this year's draft will be way down after last year's record ratings. Everything has been down, including the Oscars.

But the Rodgers news may have turned this year's draft into a ratings bonanza.
sycasey
71Bear said:

Bearly Clad said:

And of course the 49ers were being run by completely different people at the time. John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan had no part in that decision.
AunBear89
Please let it be the Broncos... Please let it be the Broncos... Please let it be the Broncos...
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
BearlyCareAnymore
71Bear said:

WalterSobchak said:

71Bear said:

Bearly Clad said:

Tedford was telling everyone before the season started that Rodgers was going pro.
Bearly Clad
I'm with you, saying that other teams made mistakes by not picking Rodgers is technically true but it's ignoring the context of the NFL draft. Back in '05 way fewer teams were considered QB needy or were in the market for a first round quarterback. Only 3 QBs went in the first round that year and Rodgers was the second taken at pick 24, it's not like now when 5 QBs could go in the top 10 and no one would be fazed. I mean two RBs went top 5 that year which won't happen for a long time if it ever happens again.

Aaron Rodgers was considered the obvious pick for the 49ers and was such a value that the Packers drafted him even though they had a future HOFer who was still playing well for them. Other teams made a mistake but only one made the biggest mistake in the draft; it's like with Patrick Mahomes, 9 teams passed on him but only Chicago traded up specifically for a QB and walked away with Mitchell Trubisky. A little bit different since Mahomes wasn't considered to be top pick worthy by many people, even the Texas Tech fans I know will readily admit that they didn't know if he'd be a franchise QB let alone an MVP face of the league.

Honestly the closest recent comparison to the Aaron Rodgers draft blunder is the 2018 NBA Draft when the Suns, Kings, and Hawks passed on Luka Doni even though they all needed point guards and he was the most talented prospect in a generation and the most accomplished teenager ever. Hell the Hawks even traded Dallas that pick
calumnus
71Bear said:

Bearly Clad said:

No one else was taking a QB. No one else gave him the impression, at least initially, that they were taking him number 1. No one else was his childhood favorite team. No one else's jersey was worn under his Cal jersey.
bluehenbear
Alex Smith announced his retirement today. And the 49ers are still pining for Aaron.
B.A. Bearacus
B.A. Bearacus

71Bear
WalterSobchak said:

71Bear said:

WalterSobchak said:

71Bear said:

Bearly Clad said:

OK, don't believe it. But believe this: Only one team among those who "made a mistake" as you say did so by selecting a different QB. All of the 21 others thought they had their QB and chose another position. Except of course the Niners.
...and the Raiders chose Fabian Washington. 'nuff said....

Heck, the Niners chose Solomon Thomas over Patrick Mahomes because "they did not need a QB", having had their eye on Cousins. You always need a premier QB unless you are one of about five teams that have one. Looking back, at least half the league screwed up in 2005....

You are way off base on this one.....
71Bear
OaktownBear said:

71Bear said:

WalterSobchak said:

71Bear said:

Bearly Clad said:

Tedford was telling everyone before the season started that Rodgers was going pro.
Yep. That poster has no idea what he is talking about.
BearForce2
Bobodeluxe said:

He's too cocky for Santa Clara.
Santa Clara was too cocky to pass up on Rodgers.
WalterSobchak
Sure it's possible, maybe even likely that he leaves early even if the Niners are great and set at QB, but as BC points out that's not how things were. Don't you think it's possible AR knew the Niners were going to be bad an need a QB before and during the season? And given his fondness for the team don't you think that might have provided some extra incentive? Why do you think he made his infamous draft night statement, because he didn't care about the Niners ans wasn't hoping/expecting them to pick him? Really hard to understand your take here given what actually happened and how it did.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.