Cutting the cord

3,589 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Blueblood
HateRed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, I'm thinking of getting Amazon Fire Stick because I'm sick and tired of paying sooooo much for cable. However, I cannot find a streaming service that offers CNN and PAC 12 networks. I don't know much about streaming so I don't know how to find a way to get both. Any help is greatly appreciated. This is a bit footballish.
bearister
The Risks of Streaming Illegal Content Through Amazon Fire Stick NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/the-risks-of-streaming-illegal-content-through-amazon-firestick/22150/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/the-risks-of-streaming-illegal-content-through-amazon-firestick/22150/%3famp
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
AunBear89
Your over the top streaming options are Sling and Fubo. Fubo would be the way to go if you're a soccer fan.

I suspect (hope) the new commissioner will address this and find a way to make it available on more streaming platforms (Hulu, YouTube TV, etc. )
okaydo
HateRed said:

So, I'm thinking of getting Amazon Fire Stick because I'm sick and tired of paying sooooo much for cable. However, I cannot find a streaming service that offers CNN and PAC 12 networks. I don't know much about streaming so I don't know how to find a way to get both. Any help is greatly appreciated. This is a bit footballish.

how much pac 12 do you watch?
HateRed
I watch PAC 12 when CAL is on, no matter what. The problem is, I cannot find a streaming service that has CNN and PAC 12 on the same service. It's either one or the other. Futbo tv has PAC 12 but not CNN. Sling tv has CNN, but not PAC 12. I think I'm stuck with Comcast. Thanks for all your help.
okaydo
HateRed said:

I watch PAC 12 when CAL is on, no matter what. The problem is, I cannot find a streaming service that has CNN and PAC 12 on the same service. It's either one or the other. Futbo tv has PAC 12 but not CNN. Sling tv has CNN, but not PAC 12. I think I'm stuck with Comcast. Thanks for all your help.

Sling has pac 12.

HateRed
Along has PAC 12, but it doesn't have CNN. *sigh*. Thank you though.
AunBear89
This shows that Sling has CNN AND PAC 12 Net
https://www.sling.com/channels
95bears
My solution was to use a friend's Comcast web login.

If you have that you can watch Cal on Pac12.com and cast from a computer/pad/etc. to your TV.

Another trick depending on how many games you want to watch involves gmail. Most people don't know that any username+_____@gmail.com is still the same email account but gives you two unique email addresses. So you could do bob+1@gmail.com, bob+2@gmail.com, etc. You can get multiple free trials with Fubo, sling, etc. to record/watch one-off games.

Now that I look back over what I wrote and what I've been doing, I hate Larry Scott even more.
HateRed
Thanks. I may just go with sling tv. I really appreciate your help. Gotta have that PAC 12 and CNN.
calumnus
HateRed said:

Thanks. I may just go with sling tv. I really appreciate your help. Gotta have that PAC 12 and CNN.

CNN content is available on YouTube.
sluggo
I have sling and can confirm both pac12 and cnn. And sling is priced well. But streaming is not at the same level as cable with my comcast internet service. At times it can lag. I find it works better if you use the streaming box that comcast provides for free with the internet service rather than the app that comes with my tv. As a side benefit of the comcast streaming box you get peacock, which has the EPL, for free.
AunBear89
sluggo said:

I have sling and can confirm both pac12 and cnn. And sling is priced well. But streaming is not at the same level as cable with my comcast internet service. At times it can lag. I find it works better if you use the streaming box that comcast provides for free with the internet service rather than the app that comes with my tv. As a side benefit of the comcast streaming box you get peacock, which has the EPL, for free.

Peacock also has WWE - if that's your thing.
HateRed
Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.
Post removed:
by user
MilleniaBear
I have Sling and it has both Pac12 and CNN plus other stuff. The quality has been high for HD. If you have a newer TV you probably don't need an Amazon firestick which basically provides wifi to the TV - most new TVs have built in WIFI. However Sling and Dish have dropped Fox Sports Net regional so where I got ALL the Warrior and Giants games before 3/30/21 now I get virtually none. If you do stream get LoCast for local channels.
HateRed
Wow!! Thanks for the help. I actually went to Best Buy yesterday in Silverdale and looked the LG ultraHD 65" tv. Those things are amazing.. I am still thinking about which streaming service to get. Again, gracias.
oskidunker
95bears said:

My solution was to use a friend's Comcast web login.

If you have that you can watch Cal on Pac12.com and cast from a computer/pad/etc. to your TV.

Another trick depending on how many games you want to watch involves gmail. Most people don't know that any username+_____@gmail.com is still the same email account but gives you two unique email addresses. So you could do bob+1@gmail.com, bob+2@gmail.com, etc. You can get multiple free trials with Fubo, sling, etc. to record/watch one-off games.

Now that I look back over what I wrote and what I've been doing, I hate Larry Scott even more.
I also use a friends comcast.. much trouble last basketball season. Constant stoppages but only when cal was on. Very strange. They claim more users doesn't degrade the picture.
mbBear
HateRed said:

Wow!! Thanks for the help. I actually went to Best Buy yesterday in Silverdale and looked the LG ultraHD 65" tv. Those things are amazing.. I am still thinking about which streaming service to get. Again, gracias.
Having experienced both, I would do Roku over Fire Stick...
82gradDLSdad
mbBear said:

HateRed said:

Note that if you get ROKU you currently can't get access to YoutubeTV. They are in a pissing match with google (owner of YouTube). I have ROKU and YoutubeTV. ROKU has sent me emails warning me to not delete the channel because I won't be able to get it back. If I do I'd need to do some work around that involves another streaming device or casting my android phone onto my tv. Sometimes I long for the three channel rabbit ear days. Well, not really.
Big C
82gradDLSdad said:

mbBear said:

HateRed said:

Note that if you get ROKU you currently can't get access to YoutubeTV. They are in a pissing match with google (owner of YouTube). I have ROKU and YoutubeTV. ROKU has sent me emails warning me to not delete the channel because I won't be able to get it back. If I do I'd need to do some work around that involves another streaming device or casting my android phone onto my tv. Sometimes I long for the three channel rabbit ear days. Well, not really.

Remember when you'd always have to keep fiddling with the "vertical hold" button on the console TV?
Eastern Oregon Bear
Big C said:

82gradDLSdad said:

mbBear said:

HateRed said:

Remember when you'd always have to keep fiddling with the "vertical hold" button on the console TV?
That was my younger brother's job.
82gradDLSdad
Big C said:

82gradDLSdad said:

mbBear said:

HateRed said:

I was always 'adjusting' the tin foil on the rabbit ears. And yes vertical hold was another chore. It was like flying a plane.
cbbass1
82gradDLSdad said:

mbBear said:

HateRed said:

Then just do YouTubeTV on your phone and cast it to your TV. Figure that you can put any video on any screen. And if you don't delete the channel, you can still use it. So don't delete it.

Roku is fighting the giants, like YouTube/Google, who are using the full weight of their monopoly position to squeeze out smaller competitors like Roku. Besides, why would you want a TV that's operated by either Amazon or Google?

I've been using an older, non-smart TV with Roku & Hulu plus the occasional Amazon Prime movie for a couple years now, after dumping way too much $$ with DirecTV/ATT for years. Never going back!

Nearly all of the Cal games that I've wanted to watch have been on Hulu, but if it looks like they won't be, I'll do a couple months of Sling thru the Roku.

Seriously, anything that you can play on your phone can be played on your smart TV or thru AirPlay via Roku.
82gradDLSdad
cbbass1 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

mbBear said:

HateRed said:

Then just do YouTubeTV on your phone and cast it to your TV. Figure that you can put any video on any screen. And if you don't delete the channel, you can still use it. So don't delete it.

Roku is fighting the giants, like YouTube/Google, who are using the full weight of their monopoly position to squeeze out smaller competitors like Roku. Besides, why would you want a TV that's operated by either Amazon or Google?

I've been using an older, non-smart TV with Roku & Hulu plus the occasional Amazon Prime movie for a couple years now, after dumping way too much $$ with DirecTV/ATT for years. Never going back!

Nearly all of the Cal games that I've wanted to watch have been on Hulu, but if it looks like they won't be, I'll do a couple months of Sling thru the Roku.

Seriously, anything that you can play on your phone can be played on your smart TV or thru AirPlay via Roku.

Seriously, why are you lecturing me? I'm not defending google or roku. I own/use/like them both.
TomBear
Questions about channel content are best answered here: https://www.suppose.tv/tv

You will never again have to ask a question about what channels are available on what service. You plug in your zip code, list the channels you want, and the services and prices come up for you to choose from.

I have Sling and have had it for 3 years. It has proven to be, for my viewing habits, by far the best service available at the best price. I supplement it with LoCast, which gives me my locals and sub-channels for a measly five dollars a month, and I'm good to go.

My main vehicle is two Roku Ultras. I also have two firesticks as backups, but I seldom use them b/c I don't like the maintenance involved with keeping them functioning well. The Rokus have been excellent, are simpler, have a better interface and better remotes. But both will give you what you need in terms of accessibility, and if you're willing to take care of the stick, it can be just fine.

Be sure to note all the regional Pac 12 channels you want when accessing the link (above). Different packages/plans have different configurations of Pac 12 Network and you'll want to make sure you're not omitting a regional feed you may want.

The sweet thing is you can cancel Sling and/or services and subscribe at your convenience and it's almost instant. So if you want to drop Pac 12 in it's entirety until the season you want, you can do so and not pay extra for something you won't be watching until you want it.

HateRed
I really thank you for the information. That was really helpful. My contract with Comcast is not over until the end of this month, but by then I should know what to do. Thanks a bunch.
dimitrig
82gradDLSdad said:

Big C said:

82gradDLSdad said:

mbBear said:

HateRed said:

I was always 'adjusting' the tin foil on the rabbit ears. And yes vertical hold was another chore. It was like flying a plane.

Someone would have to stand in the corner of the room or else you'd lose the signal.

Blueblood
dimitrig said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Big C said:

82gradDLSdad said:

mbBear said:

HateRed said:

Someone would have to stand in the corner of the room or else you'd lose the signal.

"Wait...you mean you put the foil
on a rabbit or TV, not your head?"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.