Request: 2004 UCLA-Cal game

2,286 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Chapman_is_Gone
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This game featured 2 future Pro Football Hall of Famers connecting on a TD pass.

Yet I can't find a clip of it anywhere.

It'd be great if somebody posted the clip to YouTube.

Thanks.
WalterSobchak
It's 2021, we should be able to watch any game from any season on demand by digital subscription.
Unfortunately we got Larry Scott instead.
76BearsFly
Yep, I do that with Grateful Dead shows. Hard to believe Deadheads can do it but the PAC-12 is stuck in last decade
JadenceBear
Horrible video quality but here's the play you seek:
okaydo
JadenceBear said:

Horrible video quality but here's the play you seek:

First of all, thanks. I've probably seen this video years ago.

(I've been meaning to start this thred for many years.)

And I've seen him catch the TD from another angle in, probably, a Cal football promotional video.

But I wonder if there exists an actual broadcast of Rodgers throwing the ball and Lynch catching it? And, of course, a clear version?

Maybe I'll tweet at NFL Films, which has "Marshawn Mondays." Maybe they have the footage.

If this game wasn't on TBS, I'd bet it would be more widespread by now.

I think this video is compelling because the ultimate connection between 2 players is a TD pass. So Rodgers handing off to Lynch isn't as compelling.
calumnus
okaydo said:

This game featured 2 future Pro Football Hall of Famers connecting on a TD pass.

Yet I can't find a clip of it anywhere.

It'd be great if somebody posted the clip to YouTube.

Thanks.

In 2004 with JJ Arrington leading the nation in rushing, Marshawn on the bench and with all those WR injuries, I thought we should have played Marshawn (or Arrington) in the slot. That is what Pete Carrol did to get Lendale White's backup Reggie Bush on the field, even though he had future NFL WRs and TEs available and healthy.
calbear80
Go Bears!
Youngbearcub89
I would love it if someone could make the whole game available-I am still waiting on some tech-savvy Bear fan who has vhs tapes of all the 2004 wins and is going to make them available digitally. I would love to relive that season.
Bear8
This was Jeff Tedford's team. He awakened the sleeping Bears and made them a force. We owe a lot to JT and I hope one day Cal will honor him in a significant way that will be noted by fans for years to come.
BGolden
13 minute 4 second mark
Not the best quality, but the whole vid is worth watching.

CAL FOOTBALL 2004 - YouTube
okaydo
BGolden said:

13 minute 4 second mark
Not the best quality, but the whole vid is worth watching.

CAL FOOTBALL 2004 - YouTube

Thanks.

This is apples and oranges, of course, but I can't get over how I can view a pretty crisp color recording of the 1951 Academy Awards on YouTube. Yet there is no crisp recording of Aaron Rodgers throwing a TD to Marshawn Lynch in 2004.

calbear80
Bear8 said:

This was Jeff Tedford's team. He awakened the sleeping Bears and made them a force. We owe a lot to JT and I hope one day Cal will honor him in a significant way that will be noted by fans for years to come.

+1
okaydo
Bear8 said:

Yup, he made Cal a force in 2004, paving the way for 2006, the greatest Cal season of the last quarter-century.
Chapman_is_Gone
Bear8 said:

No.

Look, I love Tedford, but he never even won a major bowl game at Cal. That fact cannot be argued. Cal was never a "force" -- more like a flash in the pan. Most middle-of-the-pack football schools enjoy a brief flash in the pan success period for a year or three. But at Cal, like those other schools, it was not sustained. People like you lead to silly situations like Al Grigsby having his jersey retired. Let's please raise our standards a bit.

I also hold against Tedford how his tenure ended in just about the ugliest manner possible (short of cheating). How it all fell apart so quickly is just hard to comprehend. What a huge tease Tedford turned out to be. Isn't it just Cal's luck to finally land a talented YOUNG coach and have him completely fall apart within 7 years. Unbelievable.
GMP
Chapman_is_Gone said:

Bear8 said:

No.

Look, I love Tedford, but he never even won a major bowl game at Cal. That fact cannot be argued. Cal was never a "force" -- more like a flash in the pan. Most middle-of-the-pack football schools enjoy a brief flash in the pan success period for a year or three. But at Cal, like those other schools, it was not sustained. People like you lead to silly situations like Al Grigsby having his jersey retired. Let's please raise our standards a bit.

I also hold against Tedford how his tenure ended in just about the ugliest manner possible (short of cheating). How it all fell apart so quickly is just hard to comprehend. What a huge tease Tedford turned out to be. Isn't it just Cal's luck to finally land a talented YOUNG coach and have him completely fall apart within 7 years. Unbelievable.

I don't really disagree with anything you said. But I also don't see why what you said being true means what Bear8 said can't also be true. He's not calling for a statue - just bringing him back and saying thanks.

Because in addition to what you said - Tedford's early years likely saved Cal football. If he had failed early, it's hard to believe the stadium gets done. It's possible we end up playing at the Coliseum.

He also raised expectations - which is important. Most Cal fans now are not happy with "if we beat Stanford, it's a good year." We want to win and we want to win a lot and we're frustrated when we don't. I think Tedford had a lot to do with that.

So, yeah, the end was bad. But so what. That doesn't mean we can't thank him for the good times and thank him for giving us his best years - the guy nearly worked himself to death. The least we can do is bring him back and cheer the hell out of him.
Chapman_is_Gone
GMP said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Bear8 said:

No.

I don't really disagree with anything you said. But I also don't see why what you said being true means what Bear8 said can't also be true. He's not calling for a statue - just bringing him back and saying thanks.

Because in addition to what you said - Tedford's early years likely saved Cal football. If he had failed early, it's hard to believe the stadium gets done. It's possible we end up playing at the Coliseum.

He also raised expectations - which is important. Most Cal fans now are not happy with "if we beat Stanford, it's a good year." We want to win and we want to win a lot and we're frustrated when we don't. I think Tedford had a lot to do with that.

So, yeah, the end was bad. But so what. That doesn't mean we can't thank him for the good times and thank him for giving us his best years - the guy nearly worked himself to death. The least we can do is bring him back and cheer the hell out of him.
I have seen it mentioned at least twice on this website that a statue might be appropriate for Tedford. By whom, I don't recall.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.