Demetris Robertson -- the traveling man

5,633 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by calumnus
BearBoarBlarney
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like he may spend his 6th season at his 3rd school.

https://247sports.com/college/georgia/Article/Demetris-Robertson-transfer-portal-Georgia-Bulldogs-Football--166428766/
79 Bear
I didn't read all of the Univ. of Georgia fan posts regarding this story but of the 25 or so I did read, all but 1 were very complimentary of DRob being a great young man, team first guy with a lot of class. They also wished him well. I met him briefly at one of the pre-season events before he transferred out and was impressed by his friendliness and attitude. He put in good work at Cal and I hope he lands in a great spot.
WalterSobchak
Come back to Berkeley DRob!
SoCalie
One of the Georgia fans said that the rumor is that he is going to SMU to play for Dykes. Anyone know if that's true? I wish he'd consider returning to Cal
calumnus
79 Bear said:

I didn't read all of the Univ. of Georgia fan posts regarding this story but of the 25 or so I did read, all but 1 were very complimentary of DRob being a great young man, team first guy with a lot of class. They also wished him well. I met him briefly at one of the pre-season events before he transferred out and was impressed by his friendliness and attitude. He put in good work at Cal and I hope he lands in a great spot.

He is one of the great individuals Cal has recruited out of Georgia over the years. Wish him the best.
Cal Strong!
Cal Strong hope he got his degree from Georgia. Too few of our transfers end up at strong academic institutions. Others go to weak academic schools and "earn" worthless degrees from "schools" such as Texas State, Mississippi State, or stanfurd. Robertson an exception. Georgia not as strong as Cal, but nothing to sneeze at either.
okaydo
Cal Strong! said:

Cal Strong hope he got his degree from Georgia. Too few of our transfers end up at strong academic institutions. Others go to weak academic schools and "earn" worthless degrees from "schools" such as Texas State, Mississippi State, or stanfurd. Robertson an exception. Georgia not as strong as Cal, but nothing to sneeze at either.

Okaydo disagree. Okaydo been to Georgia. Okaydo found it is something to sneeze at.
Fyght4Cal
Anyway

Back to D-Rob. Love that kid. I want him back here. But if he goes back to Dykes, that is not a bad option for him.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
eastbayyoungbear
Put him and JMike on a deep post, force the defense to double cover, and let Chase/CBrown run as an option. Would be impossible to defend.
79 Bear
I think if we were not so deep at WR we'd be exploring this more. By the way, what are the rules when someone enters the portal? I assume they can be actively recruited.
AXLBear
Define deep
79 Bear
Here are our WRs, in no particular order: Jeremiah Hunter, J Michael Sturdivant, Nikko Remigio, Kekoa Crawford, Trevon Clark, Mason Mangum, Aidan Lee, Mavin Anderson.

71Bear
Yep. Everyone in the portal is a free agent.
71Bear
Lots of names but not one "go to" guy.
calumnus
79 Bear said:

Here are our WRs, in no particular order: Jeremiah Hunter, J Michael Sturdivant, Nikko Remigio, Kekoa Crawford, Trevon Clark, Mason Mangum, Aidan Lee, Mavin Anderson.

Our best depth since Robertson left, but not as deep as 2016 (Hansen, Robertson, Stovall, Rivera, Wharton, Duncan, Veasy, Noa, Singleton, Hudson, Worstell, Austin, Kobayashi..). The good thing about WRs, especially speed WRs, is you can rotate them to keep them fresh, just keep running deep routes at full speed and wear out the opposing CBs. Pays dividends in the 4th quarter.
Big C
71Bear said:

Somewhat surprisingly, DRob has pretty much proven that he is not a "go to" guy, either. I wish him the best, wherever he lands.
calumnus
Big C said:

71Bear said:

Somewhat surprisingly, DRob has pretty much proven that he is not a "go to" guy, either. I wish him the best, wherever he lands.

I wouldn't judge him from his Georgia record. He was a "go to guy" for us as a freshman and made freshman AA. Transfers from Michigan who did little there like Ways and Crawford have been go to guys (when healthy) at Cal. That said, he is undoubtedly looking for somewhere he can put up big numbers again and get a shot at the NFL.
79 Bear
71Bear said:

If you mean a deep threat, Hawkins is our #1 there. If you mean more of an all around solid receiver, I would say that Remigio and Crawford fit that bill.

I also have high hopes for the younger guys, some of whom have the speed to stretch the field.

Big C
calumnus said:

Big C said:

71Bear said:

I wouldn't judge him from his Georgia record. He was a "go to guy" for us as a freshman and made freshman AA. Transfers from Michigan who did little there like Ways and Crawford have been go to guys (when healthy) at Cal. That said, he is undoubtedly looking for somewhere he can put up big numbers again and get a shot at the NFL.

Moral of story: Come to Cal and be a "go to" guy! If you're already here, stay here! In fact, from the looks of our latest WR recruits, Toler has been working this angle!
71Bear
79 Bear said:

71Bear said:

If you mean a deep threat, Hawkins is our #1 there. If you mean more of an all around solid receiver, I would say that Remigio and Crawford fit that bill.

I also have high hopes for the younger guys, some of whom have the speed to stretch the field.

Actually, I mean a receiver who is a All Conference level player who has the confidence of the QB to consistently make plays in critical situations, is threat all over the field and demonstrates leadership qualities on and off the field.

Think Geoff McArthur.
GivemTheAxe
79 Bear said:

I think if we were not so deep at WR we'd be exploring this more. By the way, what are the rules when someone enters the portal? I assume they can be actively recruited.

Agree. WR's and QB's need to be in sync. Garbers was in sync with his receivers in late 2019 and it showed in play after play when Garbers was threading the needle in pass after pass.
In 2020 he was not in sync until the last game. And again it showed.
I am concerned that if dRob were to come to Cal for his final season, he would not be as successful as we might expect because he and Garbers would not be in sync until late in the season So why bring him if we already have a stable of good WR's.
socaliganbear
He's not coming weirdos
Bobodeluxe
socaliganbear said:

He's not coming weirdos
All Cal fans are delusional weirdos.
Fyght4Cal
Is Jeremiah Hunter still with the team?
Goobear
Fyght4Cal said:

Of course he is
MathTeacherMike
GivemTheAxe said:

79 Bear said:

Agree. WR's and QB's need to be in sync. Garbers was in sync with his receivers in late 2019 and it showed in play after play when Garbers was threading the needle in pass after pass.
I am concerned that if dRob were to come to Cal for his final season, he would not be as successful as we might expect because he and Garbers would not be in sync until late in the season So why bring him if we already have a stable of good WR's.
You have got to be kidding. Garbers had been the most inaccurate passer that has consistently started for Cal that I can remember (Vedder?) - and I'm really, really old. I don't want to hate on the young man, but if he's the best we've got, we have a pretty low ceiling as long as he's our quarterback. I understand the Cal fans (on this board) are somewhat delusional ( " I hope Garber stays his Senior year, but I doubt it because he's a definite first-rounder") but any reasonable football fan who knows anything about Pac-12 football realize that he is at the bottom of the conference and, to steer back to the topic, may have been part of the calculus for dRob's decision to leave Cal in the first place.
socaliganbear
Garbers is the best we've got. He's also had like 3 good halves of football in his career here.
Rushinbear
MathTeacherMike said:

GivemTheAxe said:

79 Bear said:

You have got to be kidding. Garbers had been the most inaccurate passer that has consistently started for Cal that I can remember (Vedder?) - and I'm really, really old. I don't want to hate on the young man, but if he's the best we've got, we have a pretty low ceiling as long as he's our quarterback. I understand the Cal fans (on this board) are somewhat delusional ( " I hope Garber stays his Senior year, but I doubt it because he's a definite first-rounder") but any reasonable football fan who knows anything about Pac-12 football realize that he is at the bottom of the conference and, to steer back to the topic, may have been part of the calculus for dRob's decision to leave Cal in the first place.
I predict that this will be Garbers' last year at Cal. He will be beaten out for the next year and therefore will enter the portal. By then, he will have gotten his degree and will look for a grad degree he likes.
GivemTheAxe
Rushinbear said:

MathTeacherMike said:

GivemTheAxe said:

79 Bear said:

I predict that this will be Garbers' last year at Cal. He will be beaten out for the next year and therefore will enter the portal. By then, he will have gotten his degree and will look for a grad degree he likes.

In his first year, Garbers was a very inaccurate passer and got little help from the receiver corps.
After BB took over as OC/QB coach, Garbers had a major upgrade as QB.
IMO His decision making and passing accuracy were greatly improved (in fact during the 2019 Big Game and bowl game I was unusually calm. I expected a win. So that last TD drive vs Stanfurd didn't come as a great surprise.)
I had expected another growth spurt in 2020. But the chaos wrought by the pandemic on practice and games led to a step back the first few games of 2020. But by the Oregon game it looked like Garbers was back in his 2019 Big Game form. In fact we would have won the 2020 BG hands down if not for a major collapse by ST.
Unit2Sucks
MathTeacherMike said:

GivemTheAxe said:

79 Bear said:

Where were you when Ayoob and Maynard were throwing one hoppers to the first down marker?
Big C

Garbers was pretty good after he got some experience in Baldwin's offense. Reasonable to assume he will do the same in Musgrave's. I am anticipating "average-to-above-average" this fall, relative to other conference QBs, plus some decent net yards rushing (for a QB). He's not going to carry us, but he doesn't need to. He's good enough to be the QB on a 9-3 team, which is about where our hopes lie.
Strykur
Big C said:

He's good enough to be the QB on a 9-3 team, which is about where our hopes lie.
If we show up as we did versus Oregon then an above-average offense has us pushing for the PAC-12.
GivemTheAxe
Unit2Sucks said:

MathTeacherMike said:

GivemTheAxe said:

79 Bear said:

Where were you when Ayoob and Maynard were throwing one hoppers to the first down marker?

You can add JTorchio to that list.
And Maynard was made to look better than he was because of the athleticism of his superstar brother who could catch passes thrown 2-3 feet over his head.
Fyght4Cal
Goobear said:

Fyght4Cal said:

Of course he is
Good. Thanks Goo.
calumnus
GivemTheAxe said:

Rushinbear said:

MathTeacherMike said:

GivemTheAxe said:

79 Bear said:

In his first year, Garbers was a very inaccurate passer and got little help from the receiver corps.
After BB took over as OC/QB coach, Garbers had a major upgrade as QB.
IMO His decision making and passing accuracy were greatly improved (in fact during the 2019 Big Game and bowl game I was unusually calm. I expected a win. So that last TD drive vs Stanfurd didn't come as a great surprise.)
I had expected another growth spurt in 2020. But the chaos wrought by the pandemic on practice and games led to a step back the first few games of 2020. But by the Oregon game it looked like Garbers was back in his 2019 Big Game form. In fact we would have won the 2020 BG hands down if not for a major collapse by ST.

Worst Completion % Year Cal QB since 1980 (100 or more attempts)
1. 1999 Boller 38.6%
2. 1981 Torchio 42.7%
3. 1983 Torchio 46.3%
4. 2000 Boller 46.7%
5. 2010 Mansion 48.9%
6. 2005 Ayoob 49.2%
7. 2001 Boller 49.3%
8. 2008 Riley 50.7%
9. 2019 Modster 50.8%
10. 2002 Boller 53.4%

Best Completion % Year Cal QB since 1980 (100 or more attempts)
1. 1980 Campbell 70.7%
2. 1993 Barr 68.0%
3. 2004 Rodgers 66.1%
4. 2014 Goff 64.5%
5. 2003 Robertson 62.6%
6. 2020 Garbers 62.5%
7. 2014 Goff 62.1%
8. 2018 McIlwain 62.0%
9T 2003 Rodgers 61.6%
9T 2016 Webb 61.6%

In 2018, Garbers freshman year he was 61.2%, just outside the top 10 but the highest completion % for a Cal freshman starter since 1980 and possibly ever. His completion percentage as a sophomore was worse and last year was not much better than his freshman numbers. Overall, he has completed roughly 60% of his passes which is among the best ever, not the worst.

Maynard often gets put on the first list but his completion % is closer to the best than the worst also. In 2012 he completed 60.8% of his passes. That was the best for a Cal QB since Rodgers in 2004. FWIW, Keenan Allen accounted for 29% of our receptions that year.

The least accurate Cal QBs were Boller, Torchio, Mansion and Ayoob.

Best QB Rating Year Cal QB since 1980 (100 attempts)
1. 1993 Barr 164.5
2. 2015 Goff 161.2
3. 2004 Rodgers 154.3
4. 2003 Robertson 154.2
5. 1996 Barnes 150.1
6. 2019 Garbers 148.9
7. 2014 Goff 147.6
8. 2003 Rodgers 146.6
9. 2006 Longshore 141.6
10. 1991 Pawlawski 141.1

Garbers' 2019 QB rating in perspective.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.