Collin Morikawa 2021 Open Champion

4,569 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jeff82
Top_Dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great to see him win the claret jug! Solid, bogie-free final round with lots of nervy par save putts.

Go Collin!

Go Bears!
Rushinbear
Clutch all the way. Go Bears
OdontoBear66
Gracious interview at the end. Unbelievably calm demeanor in creating and holding on to his lead. Well done. More to come. Humble and gracious young man. Pretty darn well spoken as well.
wifeisafurd
And he did't fumble the Cup! No. 1 I Fed X points, etc.

Becoming a generational golfer.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Obviously Collin's win is the huge story, but I'll point out that Ben An finished at -3 and tied for 22nd. Max Homa finished at -1 and tied for 41st. James Hahn shot a 60 yesterday and is in contention at the PGA Barbasol tournament. This has been a great weekend for Cal golfers.
calbear80
Awesome!

Go Bears!

bearister
Sometimes a Cal bear just has to grab The Open by the haunches and hump it into submission.

"Collin Morikawa, 24, captured his second major championship on Sunday at the 149th Open, becoming the first men's golfer in history to win his debut at two separate major events. He also became just the eighth golfer ever to win two majors before the age of 25. The phenom finished 15 under for the tournament, besting second-place finisher Jordan Spieth (-13) and third-place finishers Jon Rahm and Louis Oosthuizen (-11)." CBS

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
philbert

Big C

Ignorant question: Is it NOT called the "British Open" anymore? And if not, how did that come to be?
bearister
Big C said:

Ignorant question: Is it NOT called the "British Open" anymore? And if not, how did that come to be?

"In 2017, a representative of the R&A openly stated that it is a priority to "eradicate the term British Open" and have a single identity and brand of "The Open" in all countries.[75] Tournament partners, such as the PGA Tour, now refer to it without "British" in the title,[76] media rightsholders are contractually required to refer to the event as The Open Championship,[75] and the official website has released a statement titled "Why it's called 'The Open' and not the 'British Open'" stating that "The Open is the correct name for the Championship. It is also the most appropriate".[72] The R&A's stance has attracted criticism from some commentators." Wikipedia
Eastern Oregon Bear
Big C said:

I'm no golf history expert but I think the British (and perhaps the rest of Europe) have always called The Open Championship. Over here in the US, we've called it the British Open to differentiate it from the US Open. I've seen British people gently correct others calling it The British Open.

I see Bearister has beaten me with a better explanation, but I'll leave this up anyway.
ColoradoBear
bearister said:

Big C said:

"In 2017, a representative of the R&A openly stated that it is a priority to "eradicate the term British Open" and have a single identity and brand of "The Open" in all countries.[75] Tournament partners, such as the PGA Tour, now refer to it without "British" in the title,[76] media rightsholders are contractually required to refer to the event as The Open Championship,[75] and the official website has released a statement titled "Why it's called 'The Open' and not the 'British Open'" stating that "The Open is the correct name for the Championship. It is also the most appropriate".[72] The R&A's stance has attracted criticism from some commentators." Wikipedia

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/nick-faldo-has-a-funny-idea-to-end-this-whole-open-championship-or-british-open-debate

"The Open Championship is incorrect. It's now the Open," Faldo said, correctly pointing out the tournament's recent re-brand as simply the Open. "You see? It's gone from the British Open, the Open Championship, now it's the Open."

Then Miller responded, admitting he's still confused by it all, but that it was always known as the British Open during his playing days and that's what he still calls it. At least, when he's not on the air.

"I have trouble with it," Miller said. "I screwed up one time last year, if you call it a screw-up, which is pretty good in four days."

Just one non-screw-up screw-up in four days? That is pretty good, Johnny. And likely part of the reason why NBC just signed you to another extension. No pressure, though, but we'll be keeping track of how many times you say "British Open" next week at Royal Birkdale.

And then Faldo added a funny closing thought on the matter.

"In another five years it will be just called 'The.'"

Well played, Sir Nick.
BearGoggles
bearister said:

Big C said:

Interesting. So what do these people call the US Open? Is it the Open and the US Open?
bearister
BearGoggles said:

bearister said:

Big C said:

Interesting. So what do these people call the US Open? Is it the Open and the US Open?

The Brits are unaware we have such a tournament.
Chabbear
It is THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY OPEN sponsored by whomever
Big C

Sounds like those Brits need a little reminder of who's the dog and who's the tail nowadays: We should just start calling ours "The Open" and we'll see how long before they knuckle under. I mean, didn't they lose the Revolutionary War AND the War of 1812? Then, when they acquiesce, we tell 'em it's now too late for "The British Open". It's gotta be "The English Open... brought to you within two days by Amazon". If they object, we go all Darth Vader on 'em: "We have altered the deal. Pray we do not alter it again." Also, Boris Johnson gets a hair cut.

Hell, next century, "The Open" will probably be in China, so we need to enjoy being on top while we can!
bearister
But what do those inbred Royals think?

calumnus
Big C said:

Sounds like those Brits need a little reminder of who's the dog and who's the tail nowadays: We should just start calling ours "The Open" and we'll see how long before they knuckle under. I mean, didn't they lose the Revolutionary War AND the War of 1812? Then, when they acquiesce, we tell 'em it's now too late for "The British Open". It's gotta be "The English Open... brought to you within two days by Amazon". If they object, we go all Darth Vader on 'em: "We have altered the deal. Pray we do not alter it again." Also, Boris Johnson gets a hair cut.

Hell, next century, "The Open" will probably be in China, so we need to enjoy being on top while we can!

As long as "Big Game" and "The Play" are correctly recognized I am fine.
Big C

If we let them have "The Open" (when we also have a pretty darn prestigious one), that will start us on a slide down a slippery slope and pretty soon, we won't have Big Game, we won't have The Play and they won't even let us use the word "football".

Instead of foreigners saying "American football", we should make them call soccer "Un-American football" (or just "soccer"!).
okaydo
BearGoggles said:

bearister said:

Big C said:

It's referred to as the Rebel Open in the UK.
Olee Berkeley-eye
Quote:

It's referred to as the Rebel Open in the UK.
That's because the proper name "the Colonial" was already taken by another U.S. golf tournament.
kirklandblue
I was nervous right up until the final putt, which, as we're now discovering, is not necessary with Collin. Azinger couldn't stop gushing over his "cool" under pressure and Brandel Chamblee was impressed with his business degree from "Berkeley. Only thing missing was a "Go Bears " from the gallery, but that would have been over the top. Congrats Collin!
HighlandDutch
It's impressive for a golfer to win his debut at any Major, but to do it twice is unbelievable. To do it at the Open, which calls for a decidedly different style of golf from that played at most of the tourneys US pros play, is mind-blowing.

Great win for Collin.
BearForce2
kirklandblue said:

Brandel Chamblee was impressed with his business degree from "Berkeley. Only thing missing was a "Go Bears " from the gallery, but that would have been over the top. Congrats Collin!

I wonder if there are any notable Cal alum from the UK?
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
wifeisafurd
kirklandblue said:

I was nervous right up until the final putt, which, as we're now discovering, is not necessary with Collin. Azinger couldn't stop gushing over his "cool" under pressure and Brandel Chamblee was impressed with his business degree from "Berkeley. Only thing missing was a "Go Bears " from the gallery, but that would have been over the top. Congrats Collin!
There were plenty of Go Bears when Collin was teeing off in the US Open at Torrey.
BearClause
BearGoggles said:

bearister said:

Big C said:

I was at the 2000 US Open at Pebble Beach, and I came across an English guy who said he would be attending "The British Open". So I suppose he knew who he was talking to.

If you look at the domain registrations, usopen.com belongs to the USGA, usopen.org belongs to the USTA, and theopen.com belongs to the R&A.
bearister
"Collin Morikawa (-15) played a flawless final round at Royal St. George's to win his Open Championship debut, Jeff writes.

Why it matters: The 24-year-old Morikawa also won his PGA Championship debut last year, making him the first men's golfer to ever win two majors in his first attempt.

By the numbers: Morikawa's eight major starts are the fewest needed to win twice since Bobby Jones (1926), and he's the second golfer to win both The Open and PGA Championship before turning 25 (Tiger Woods).

Wild stat: Since 2000, just three final rounds in a major win have featured no bogeys and a score of 66 or better. Rory McIlroy's 2012 PGA Championship and Morikawa's two wins. The guy loves Sundays.

Through 50 PGA Tour events as a pro, he's won five tournaments and earned $14 million in prize money.

What they're saying: Jordan Spieth, who finished second, was impressed with Morikawa's composure in front of a packed gallery after spending much of his young career playing in front of limited or no crowds.

"It's harder with big crowds. You feel it more. You know where you are. It's a bigger stage. I think that's impressive."
Spieth on Morikawa

The runners-up: Spieth (-13) and Jon Rahm (-11) continued their stellar seasons, while Louis Oosthuizen (-11) was again the bridesmaid his third straight major with a top-three finish and no trophy to show for it." Axios
CALiforniALUM
We should just call it the Brexit Open just to get under anybody's skin over there.

HighlandDutch
wifeisafurd said:

kirklandblue said:

There were plenty of Go Bears when Collin was teeing off in the US Open at Torrey.
I also heard a group yelling, "Roll on you Bears!" after Brandon Hagy putted out to finish a tournament recently. I think it was the John Deere in Quad Cities (noted hotbed of Cal fandom).
bearister
Paul "I'm the new nasty Johnny Miller" Azinger was rooting for the Afrikaner and it started after play finished Saturday. Zinger noted that Collin came from behind to win the PGA at Harding, but boy was it going to be tough for Collin to play with the leader, Louie, such an experienced player, on Sunday (Zinger projecting his own choking nature onto Collin). Azinger would drop a comment here and there on Sunday clearly indicating he was a Louie homer, but then Louie blew an O ring and Zinger had to pivot to Plan B, rooting for Spieth. Then Azinger moved to Plan C, jumping on the Collin bandwagon once the writing was on the wall. IMHO, Zinger was clearly jealous of the prospect of Collin surpassing Zinger's career Major victories in just 2 years.
Bear8
I noticed a large amount of Speithlove from the commentators. Anybody but Morikawa. I was hoping that at the news conference which followed the award of the Jug that someone would say "Go Bears." But alas, none of the newsmen would bite. At least, Cal got many mentions as did the Haas Business School.

I also noticed that none of our "friends" in the Pac12 sent their congratulations to Cal. If an SC player had done the same I would have graced the school with a "Fight On." Collin brought fame to himself and to Cal. Collin also brought fame to the Pac12 as a place that develops top notch golfers. It's a pity the other eleven schools can't bring themselves to congratulate the player and the school.

We've been lacking in football and bball for awhile. But swimming and golf stand out. I guess we're a water sport and golf school.
wifeisafurd
Bear8 said:

I noticed a large amount of Speithlove from the commentators. Anybody but Morikawa. I was hoping that at the news conference which followed the award of the Jug that someone would say "Go Bears." But alas, none of the newsmen would bite. At least, Cal got many mentions as did the Haas Business School.

I also noticed that none of our "friends" in the Pac12 sent their congratulations to Cal. If an SC player had done the same I would have graced the school with a "Fight On." Collin brought fame to himself and to Cal. Collin also brought fame to the Pac12 as a place that develops top notch golfers. It's a pity the other eleven schools can't bring themselves to congratulate the player and the school.

We've been lacking in football and bball for awhile. But swimming and golf stand out. I guess we're a water sport and golf school.
BTW, next season should be a return to the top tier for men's golf, with some very good frosh from last years team, a good recruiting class, and James Song having a good summer. Coaching staff is very high on Song's ceiling (mentioned in the same sentence as some former alum who seems to be shattering a few PGA records). In fact, look for the Pac to have a resurgence after a miserable 2020-21.
sandiegobears
Good to hear. Publicity, publicity and more publicity. If Cal football starts winning, Cal needs to put Morikawa on the sidelines of important games. He's as close to high profile as it gets right now. (Imagine if he wins the Olympics?)
wifeisafurd
bearister said:

Paul "I'm the new nasty Johnny Miller" Azinger was rooting for the Afrikaner and it started after play finished Saturday. Zinger noted that Collin came from behind to win the PGA at Harding, but boy was it going to be tough for Collin to play with the leader, Louie, such an experienced player, on Sunday (Zinger projecting his own choking nature onto Collin). Azinger would drop a comment here and there on Sunday clearly indicating he was a Louie homer, but then Louie blew an O ring and Zinger had to pivot to Plan B, rooting for Spieth. Then Azinger moved to Plan C, jumping on the Collin bandwagon once the writing was on the wall. IMHO, Zinger was clearly jealous of the prospect of Collin surpassing Zinger's career Major victories in just 2 years.
FWIW, Spieth, who is the epitome of classy, made a big deal that Collin won (as opposed to others lost) in front of a big crowd on Sunday. Spieth said is much harder to win in front of a major's gallery, and that Collin had won previously due to C-19 without the benefit of playing before huge galleries. That made this win so much more impressive. Spieth then went on to make a not so subtle suggestion that he be Collin's partner in the Ryder Cup.

The US team is going to be jacked with Collin rated number 1, and in the following order; DJ, Bryson, Koepka (these last two are not playing together), Thomas and Xander, with Spieth, Lefty, Reed, and Cantlay probable captain picks, with two others. If Stricker goes with youth, Homa has low outside chance of being selected. BTW, Brandon Hagy has had a quiet, good year and is in the top 60 in Ryder Cup points.

The order for Europe is atomtatic qualifiers Rahm, Fleetwood, Hatton, and Fitzpatick. McIlroy (388.31 points), Hovland (315.06 points), Paul Casey (287.69 points), Lee Westwood (239.53 points) and Shane Lowry (206.60 points) currently occupy the World Points List spots. There are the 3 captain picks, which likely go to Garcia. Rose and Perez.

Om paper, the US should be hugely favored. The golf season is backloaded with the the just concluded Open, , the Olympics, the Fed-Ex playoff tourneys, and the Ryder Cup.
okaydo
sandiegobears said:

Good to hear. Publicity, publicity and more publicity. If Cal football starts winning, Cal needs to put Morikawa on the sidelines of important games. He's as close to high profile as it gets right now. (Imagine if he wins the Olympics?)

Uh...what?

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.