Collin Morikawa 2021 Open Champion

4,554 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jeff82
sandiegobears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chill dude, that part is obvious but then again, maybe you saw some golfer from a school across the bay at sporting events for 20 years? It's all about the publicity, that is all. And I've recently heard Cal mentioned in golf broadcasts 20x more than whenever Rodgers is on the field. Btw, Rodgers does this thing on Sundays, makes it sorta difficult to show up

But hey, Cal sports and their brand consultants must know more than us, or they'd have all the football guys out there all the time...oh wait.
75bear
Collin's putting on Sunday was awesome, and his iron play is always top notch. The course didn't seem to benefit long hitters, so that may have helped Morikawa. What a huge win, and I couldn't be prouder of what Collin has been able to accomplish at such a young age (24!!).

Truly a great week to say Go Bears!

If Max Homa gets chosen for the Ryder Cup, that would be the icing on the Oski cake.
okaydo
sandiegobears said:

Chill dude, that part is obvious but then again, maybe you saw some golfer from a school across the bay at sporting events for 20 years? It's all about the publicity, that is all. And I've recently heard Cal mentioned in golf broadcasts 20x more than whenever Rodgers is on the field. Btw, Rodgers does this thing on Sundays, makes it sorta difficult to show up

But hey, Cal sports and their brand consultants must know more than us, or they'd have all the football guys out there all the time...oh wait.

I'm excited. I don't watch golf. I don't even really know how it's played. But I saw his name trending when I woke up. Sunday morning and watched him win.
HighlandDutch
bearister said:

Paul "I'm the new nasty Johnny Miller" Azinger was rooting for the Afrikaner and it started after play finished Saturday. Zinger noted that Collin came from behind to win the PGA at Harding, but boy was it going to be tough for Collin to play with the leader, Louie, such an experienced player, on Sunday (Zinger projecting his own choking nature onto Collin). Azinger would drop a comment here and there on Sunday clearly indicating he was a Louie homer, but then Louie blew an O ring and Zinger had to pivot to Plan B, rooting for Spieth. Then Azinger moved to Plan C, jumping on the Collin bandwagon once the writing was on the wall. IMHO, Zinger was clearly jealous of the prospect of Collin surpassing Zinger's career Major victories in just 2 years.
Azinger has a pretty long history of being unpopular. Seve Ballesteros once described the US Ryder Cup team as "11 nice guys and Paul Azinger." (To be fair, Seve had his fair share of detractors too.) People appeared to suspend their dislike of Azinger for a time when he was diagnosed non-Hodgkin lymphoma, but that proved to be short-lived.

I'm not crazy about him as an analyst, but I'm very happy to have NBC airing these major tournaments instead of Fox. I still have nightmares about Greg Norman's turn as a commentator.
bearister

I just bought Collin's shirt. It comes with a guaranty that I will play like him when I wear it.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Chabbear
I WILL BUY TWO FOR THE GUARANTY!
HighlandDutch
bearister said:

I just bought Collin's shirt. It comes with a guaranty that I will play like him when I wear it.

I'd buy it, but worry that the fine print on the guarantee would result in Collin playing like me instead of me playing like him.
swan
HighlandDutch said:

bearister said:

Paul "I'm the new nasty Johnny Miller" Azinger was rooting for the Afrikaner and it started after play finished Saturday. Zinger noted that Collin came from behind to win the PGA at Harding, but boy was it going to be tough for Collin to play with the leader, Louie, such an experienced player, on Sunday (Zinger projecting his own choking nature onto Collin). Azinger would drop a comment here and there on Sunday clearly indicating he was a Louie homer, but then Louie blew an O ring and Zinger had to pivot to Plan B, rooting for Spieth. Then Azinger moved to Plan C, jumping on the Collin bandwagon once the writing was on the wall. IMHO, Zinger was clearly jealous of the prospect of Collin surpassing Zinger's career Major victories in just 2 years.
Azinger has a pretty long history of being unpopular. Seve Ballesteros once described the US Ryder Cup team as "11 nice guys and Paul Azinger." (To be fair, Seve had his fair share of detractors too.) People appeared to suspend their dislike of Azinger for a time when he was diagnosed non-Hodgkin lymphoma, but that proved to be short-lived.

I'm not crazy about him as an analyst, but I'm very happy to have NBC airing these major tournaments instead of Fox. I still have nightmares about Greg Norman's turn as a commentator.

Collin has publicly stated that he went to Azinger for short game tips before winning earlier this year at the Workday Championship.
https://apnews.com/article/billy-horschel-bradenton-paul-azinger-coronavirus-pandemic-viktor-hovland-48804d4e425131abd36789fffa9dfe7b
I am a huge Cal/Collin homer but was not put-off in anyway by comments favorable to Spieth or Louis, both whom I admire as players. Louis record in majors this year is both phenomenal and a bit tragic. So yeah, I get pulling for him.
Spieth's return to form after several years in the wilderness is a major story for the game.

Zinger's announcing partner Dan Hick's also makes it a point to mention that Collin played for Cal and I liked his comment that Collin "is unflappable".

Jeff82
The best Cal commentary regarding Collin's win was from Brandel Chamblee on Golf Channel, who talked at length about Cal golfers going to Haas, and Cal's academic reputation, and how he felt dealing with all of that contributed to Collin's maturity on the golf course. It was a great endorsement for the program.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.