Will NCAA adopt new NFL forfeit rules

761 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by GoBears89
GivemTheAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The NFL announced new forfeit rules if any teams should cancel a game because of COVID related causes.
This is apparently due to the fact that a number of NFL teams have players/staff who are unvaccinated.
If a team has to cancel, that team will be treated as a forfeit and will count for the record against the team that cancelled unless the game can be made up during an available scheduled bye-week for that team (i.e. no post-season make-ups). I am not certain if this rule would apply if the team that cancelled had all of its players vaccinated.

I wonder if the NCAA is considering such a rule. There are a number of well regarded NCAA football teams located in states with low vaccination rates. With the projected COVID spike this Fall expected to hit the unvaccinated hard, we should expect the possibility that some games might be postponed/cancelled and that some of those games might have an impact on the standings and bowl eligibility.

Or maybe the NCAA will bury its head in the sand and just hope for the best.

This issue is Cal football related because i am hoping that Cal will wind up in the top-25 rated teams. A forfeit by any of the other top-25 teams could have a direct impact on Cal's final standing.
Bobodeluxe
Yes, the SEC would love that.
wifeisafurd
Does the NCAA matter? Major conferences will do whatever they want.
YamhillBear
One data point: I thought I saw Nick Saban saying that his team (coaches and team) are over 90% vaccinated?
71Bear
GivemTheAxe said:

The NFL announced new forfeit rules if any teams should cancel a game because of COVID related causes.
This is apparently due to the fact that a number of NFL teams have players/staff who are unvaccinated.
If a team has to cancel, that team will be treated as a forfeit and will count for the record against the team that cancelled unless the game can be made up during an available scheduled bye-week for that team (i.e. no post-season make-ups). I am not certain if this rule would apply if the team that cancelled had all of its players vaccinated.

I wonder if the NCAA is considering such a rule. There are a number of well regarded NCAA football teams located in states with low vaccination rates. With the projected COVID spike this Fall expected to hit the unvaccinated hard, we should expect the possibility that some games might be postponed/cancelled and that some of those games might have an impact on the standings and bowl eligibility.

Or maybe the NCAA will bury its head in the sand and just hope for the best.

This issue is Cal football related because i am hoping that Cal will wind up in the top-25 rated teams. A forfeit by any of the other top-25 teams could have a direct impact on Cal's final standing.

The NCAA has nothing to do with it. It is a conference-level decision. I read an article that indicated the SEC is looking seriously at implementing the forfeit rule.
GoBears89
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31844202/sec-commissioner-greg-sankey-says-covid-concerns-lead-rescheduled-games
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.