Sac State QB the real deal

2,728 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by C6Bear
72CalBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.hornetsports.com/sports/fball/2021-22/bios/o-hara_asher_2een

We've had problems before with teams like Sac State and UC Davis who have had quality quarterbacks and both of those teams have thrown for more than 300 yds on the Bears. We will need a more productive pass rush this week and respect these stats albeit against lesser opponents.
BearForce2
oh snap, did we offer this guy?
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
westcoast101
It would be awesome to have a QB again that other teams feel is a threat.
calumnus
72CalBear said:

We've had problems before with teams like Sac State and UC Davis who have had quality quarterbacks and both of those teams have thrown for more than 300 yds on the Bears. We will need a more productive pass rush this week and respect these stats albeit against lesser opponents.

We will see how well Troy Taylor develops him.

I do think having a HC that can consistently spot, recruit and develop QB talent is a huge plus in the college game.
OneKeg
Watch this kid tear us up.

The crazy thing is, Garbers tore TCU up. If before the season you gave me one stat line and one stat line only and that was Garbers' stats at TCU, I would have been over the moon ecstatic. With decent WRs, he clearly can make some big throws when the box is loaded and the CBs are mostly in man coverage. He did it at Ole Miss in 2019 too.

Trouble is, he only does it sometimes. And he struggles to be decisive against zones like what Nevada's 3-3-5 looked like to my layman's eyes. So overall, he hasn't been very good.
Cal89
72CalBear said:

MTSU, so he's a Tony Franklin product, it would seem...
Sig test...
calumnus
Cal89 said:

72CalBear said:

It looks like Taylor is the OC also. It will be interesting to see what his offense looks like.
Eastern Oregon Bear
BearForce2 said:

We don't often extend scholarship offers to smallish 3 star QBs from Illinois.
calumnus
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

BearForce2 said:

Isn't he a grad transfer? We do take those.
Rushinbear
BearForce2 said:

6'0" (nominally), from IL? Doubt it.
hanky1
I don't care how good their qb is.

If we lose to sac state it's over. I never want to see Wilcox's face in Berkeley again.
Cal89
calumnus said:

Cal89 said:

72CalBear said:

It looks like Taylor is the OC also. It will be interesting to see what his offense looks like.
Yes indeed. Quite happy for TT. He's got quite a resume going...

As much as I like him, a fellow '89 alum, I hope he doesn't improve upon his body of work this Sat. Mike Pawlawski credits TT as being an incredible teammate who took great pride in grooming Pawlawski to be his successor...

Sig test...
Cal89
calumnus said:

Eastern Oregon Bear said:

BearForce2 said:

Isn't he a grad transfer? We do take those.
Yup, entered the Portal as a grad transfer...
Sig test...
oski003
hanky1 said:

If we lose to sac state it's over. I never want to see Wilcox's face in Berkeley again.

Oddshark has us predicted to win 31-3. We lost to two undefeated top 40 teams by a total of 7 points. We will be fine.
89Bear
OneKeg said:

Watch this kid tear us up.

The crazy thing is, Garbers tore TCU up. If before the season you gave me one stat line and one stat line only and that was Garbers' stats at TCU, I would have been over the moon ecstatic. With decent WRs, he clearly can make some big throws when the box is loaded and the CBs are mostly in man coverage. He did it at Ole Miss in 2019 too.

Trouble is, he only does it sometimes. And he struggles to be decisive against zones like what Nevada's 3-3-5 looked like to my layman's eyes. So overall, he hasn't been very good.
I would have said before the season started that the TCU Garbers would lead us to 10 wins this year.
C6Bear
oski003 said:

hanky1 said:

Oddshark has us predicted to win 31-3. We lost to two undefeated top 40 teams by a total of 7 points. We will be fine.
Having watched Sac St's game against NIU last Saturday night, I would conclude that Cal shouldn't have a difficult time beating the Hornets. NIU is a talented FCS team with FBS-like size and speed. NIU was able to take a 9-7 halftime deficit and turn it into a 30 point point lead by the end of the 3rd quarter forcing 6 Hornet turnovers, mostly as a result of fumbles and interceptions by both of Sac St's QB's who were erratic at best. The game was close at half because NIU turned it over a couple of times. O'Hara is an average passer, and tends to bail out quickly if the rush in on him. Neither QB really distinguished themselves against NIU. If Cal isn't as good as FCS NIU, then there is a problem. I think the Hornets can score some points which makes Oddshark's prediction of 3 points a bit dubious, but a score like 41-17 wouldn't be a surprise to me. Troy Taylor will need a great offensive scheme and career days from his players to keep this one close.
Blueblood
C6Bear said:

oski003 said:

hanky1 said:

Having watched Sac St's game against NIU last Saturday night, I would conclude that Cal shouldn't have a difficult time beating the Hornets. NIU is a talented FCS team with FBS-like size and speed. NIU was able to take a 9-7 halftime deficit and turn it into a 30 point point lead by the end of the 3rd quarter forcing 6 Hornet turnovers, mostly as a result of fumbles and interceptions by both of Sac St's QB's who were erratic at best. The game was close at half because NIU turned it over a couple of times. O'Hara is an average passer, and tends to bail out quickly if the rush in on him. Neither QB really distinguished themselves against NIU. If Cal isn't as good as FCS NIU, then there is a problem. I think the Hornets can score some points which makes Oddshark's prediction of 3 points a bit dubious, but a score like 41-17 wouldn't be a surprise to me. Troy Taylor will need a great offensive scheme and career days from his players to keep this one close.
Nice observations overall, but I contend that with respect to the Bears "a problem" already exists.
C6Bear
Blueblood said:

C6Bear said:

oski003 said:

hanky1 said:

Nice observations overall, but I contend that with respect to the Bears "a problem" already exists.
How 'bout a bigger problem than already exists?
Blueblood
C6Bear said:

Blueblood said:

C6Bear said:

oski003 said:

hanky1 said:

How 'bout a bigger problem than already exists?
Oh, I secretly agree with you, but I don't want to give Chapmen_is-a_turd the motivation to use his influence
to have my post censored.
Chapman_is_Gone
1) I have zero influence on this board. If I had any influence, LOL, the Dodgers thread would have been taken down years ago.

2) I hate censorship and have never requested that anyone here be censored, subject to the rules of the board. I therefore request you provide evidence that I asked for anything to be censored, or STFU.
Blueblood
Chapman_is_Gone said:

1) I have zero influence on this board. If I had any influence, LOL, the Dodgers thread would have been taken down years ago.

2) I hate censorship and have never requested that anyone here be censored, subject to the rules of the board. I therefore request you provide evidence that I asked for anything to be censored, or STFU.

Here's the evidence. It was
provided by a BI insider....enjoy!
72CalBear
C6Bear said:

oski003 said:

hanky1 said:

He sure did and their passing game was A plus ++++++!!!
calumnus
72CalBear said:

C6Bear said:

oski003 said:

hanky1 said:

They made plenty of mistakes and were playing without their best OL. Their false start/procedure penalties in the red zone and missed FGs/extra points really hurt them. Our Kickoff return for a TD was the big difference.
C6Bear
72CalBear said:

C6Bear said:

oski003 said:

hanky1 said:

Defense is officially a major problem. N Iowa turned Sac St over 6 times last week with great defense, far better than Cal's today and NIU is an FCS team. Cal got a couple of hits on the QB's, but no sacks and not a lot of pressure. Great scheme by Taylor, but Cal made some very average QB's look like world beaters.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.