Should Millner Replace Garbers This Season If Cal Is...

3,423 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by calumnus
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
pasadenaorbust said:

BearoutEast67 said:

In a word, no.
Chase is ranked 5th in the conference in passing yards and is within 24 yards of Jayden Daniels of ASU, who sits in 3rd place.

Chase is also ranked 9th in passing rating (132) and is tied for 2nd in Interceptions (5) and we are through the "easy" half of the schedule. He is not killing it.

I do think Musgrave bears a lot of the blame for that in trying to have Garbers sit in the pocket and go through progressions with no pass protection is a recipe for disaster. We need to more often than not move Chase outside the pocket and give him a chance to run if no one is open.

That said, if Chase is struggling, playing Glover might inject some life into the team.
Big C
Chapman_is_Gone said:

Ccajon2 said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

HearstMining said:

Here's a corollary to the OP's question: What if Garbers turns the season around and has, not a great season, but say a season like 2019 and since last year didn't count towards eligibility, he wants to return for 2022. What should Wilcox do?
Well, I certainly would welcome Garbers back with open arms, with open competition in camp next year for the QB spot.

Having too many decent QBs isn't our problem -- my main concern wasn't related to Garbers. It was 1) getting a head start on next year by getting next year's likely QB some much needed experience, and 2) if he plays well in limited action this year, at least it gives Wilcox and the program a "story to tell" for next year for recruiting purposes. That is important, and perhaps that prevents a recruit or two from flipping.

I just don't see how having a bit more knowledge about the QBs on your roster, rather than less, is a bad thing heading into next year.

71Bear, those two are obviously #2 and #3 on the QB depth chart because, I assume, Wilcox believes they give Cal the best chance to win RIGHT NOW if Garbers goes down. But neither has a resume worthy of the starting spot. If Garbers did go down, and we'd already been eliminated from bowl contention, we'd be fools not to play Millner.

And, by the way, I don't give a flying **** what any of you think about me. If I've learned anything over the past 20 years..... If you don't see the hypocrisy, you must have your head up Will Clark's or Tommy Lasorda's ass.

The problem is you don't do any research. You post quite a bit of stupid nonsense, and the em-bittered long time Cal "losers" on here live to pillary you for it. You made a major boo-boo by not even knowing who the #2 qb on the depth chart is. You'll never be forgiven nor will they ever forget this.

Jeepers, this is quite serious. I guess I'll just get on my horse and ride out of town. Please don't "pillary" me any more, it's just awful!

(AND I was talking about preparing for 2022…this year's depth chart is meaningless to my argument. And I do more research than most posters on this board, who are like "uh, yeah, Snyder was gunna have the #1 class that year including that Heisman running back, what's his name. but then Snyder left… if you don't know, Google will help you… Dude above can't even get the QB's names right. just two examples of many…).

Right, the point is not where Millner is on the depth chart right now. The point is, if he is still seen as our best bet for the future, it would probably help his learning curve if he got some game reps this season.

I can't speak to heartofthebear's observation that Millner doesn't have it, isn't ready, whatever. He was not an early entry and therefore just started practicing with the team about ten weeks ago. He is probably a lot more ready now than he was in late August.

If Millner is still way behind the others, I'd play Zach Johnson if Garbers continues to falter. Johnson passed Casey and Brasch on the depth chart in the spring; he's got to have something. Not sure how playing Glover helps us, long term.
calumnus
Big C said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Ccajon2 said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

HearstMining said:

Here's a corollary to the OP's question: What if Garbers turns the season around and has, not a great season, but say a season like 2019 and since last year didn't count towards eligibility, he wants to return for 2022. What should Wilcox do?
Well, I certainly would welcome Garbers back with open arms, with open competition in camp next year for the QB spot.

Having too many decent QBs isn't our problem -- my main concern wasn't related to Garbers. It was 1) getting a head start on next year by getting next year's likely QB some much needed experience, and 2) if he plays well in limited action this year, at least it gives Wilcox and the program a "story to tell" for next year for recruiting purposes. That is important, and perhaps that prevents a recruit or two from flipping.

I just don't see how having a bit more knowledge about the QBs on your roster, rather than less, is a bad thing heading into next year.

71Bear, those two are obviously #2 and #3 on the QB depth chart because, I assume, Wilcox believes they give Cal the best chance to win RIGHT NOW if Garbers goes down. But neither has a resume worthy of the starting spot. If Garbers did go down, and we'd already been eliminated from bowl contention, we'd be fools not to play Millner.

And, by the way, I don't give a flying **** what any of you think about me. If I've learned anything over the past 20 years..... If you don't see the hypocrisy, you must have your head up Will Clark's or Tommy Lasorda's ass.

The problem is you don't do any research. You post quite a bit of stupid nonsense, and the em-bittered long time Cal "losers" on here live to pillary you for it. You made a major boo-boo by not even knowing who the #2 qb on the depth chart is. You'll never be forgiven nor will they ever forget this.

Jeepers, this is quite serious. I guess I'll just get on my horse and ride out of town. Please don't "pillary" me any more, it's just awful!

(AND I was talking about preparing for 2022…this year's depth chart is meaningless to my argument. And I do more research than most posters on this board, who are like "uh, yeah, Snyder was gunna have the #1 class that year including that Heisman running back, what's his name. but then Snyder left… if you don't know, Google will help you… Dude above can't even get the QB's names right. just two examples of many…).

Right, the point is not where Millner is on the depth chart right now. The point is, if he is still seen as our best bet for the future, it would probably help his learning curve if he got some game reps this season.

I can't speak to heartofthebear's observation that Millner doesn't have it, isn't ready, whatever. He was not an early entry and therefore just started practicing with the team about ten weeks ago. He is probably a lot more ready now than he was in late August.

If Millner is still way behind the others, I'd play Zach Johnson if Garbers continues to falter. Johnson passed Casey and Brasch on the depth chart in the spring; he's got to have something. Not sure how playing Glover helps us, long term.

By that logic you would never play a junior or senior. If Glover can come back next year (I think he can) and IF he is our best QB, then playing him will help the long term. Winning this year and next is the best way to right the ship and attract good recruits, including QBs. We cannot act like Milner is the last QB recruit we will ever get and needs to be developed for 2023.

You have to play your best guy now (including true freshmen). Always win now. Win and the future will take care of itself (via the transfer portal if nothing else).
HearstMining
Ryan Glover may be a great guy. He must be a reasonably smart guy as Penn is a very good school but we're talking about a guy who started his soph year on an IVY LEAGUE TEAM, throwing for 7TDs and 6 INTs then was beat out for the position his Jr year. Then this past spring, he started for the mighty Western Carolina Catamounts who went 1-5 as he threw one more INT than TD. Yet he arrives at Cal and immediately leapfrogs over two players who've been in the program for two or more years to become the second-string QB.

The discussion shouldn't be over whether Glover should start this year or next. It should be about why Cal's QB recruiting and development is so bad that a guy who is not exactly the second coming of Davis Webb is even in the conversation.

Where have you gone, Ziv Gottlieb, our nation turns its lonely eyes to you . . . oooooh!
calumnus
HearstMining said:

Ryan Glover may be a great guy. He must be a reasonably smart guy as Penn is a very good school but we're talking about a guy who started his soph year on an IVY LEAGUE TEAM, throwing for 7TDs and 6 INTs then was beat out for the position his Jr year. Then this past spring, he started for the mighty Western Carolina Catamounts who went 1-5 as he threw one more INT than TD. Yet he arrives at Cal and immediately leapfrogs over two players who've been in the program for two or more years to become the second-string QB.

The discussion shouldn't be over whether Glover should start this year or next. It should be about why Cal's QB recruiting and development is so bad that a guy who is not exactly the second coming of Davis Webb is even in the conversation.

Where have you gone, Ziv Gottlieb, our nation turns its lonely eyes to you . . . oooooh!

You make a good point in the big picture. However, Glover could really be better than his history suggests and be our best QB. QBs don't play in a vacuum, the team they play on and the system they play in make a difference. Moreover, he may have improved in the last year.

However, my gut says he is probably a very similar QB as Garbers.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.