We're 1-5, what is Wilcox's end game the rest of the way?

2,813 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by dimitrig
Strykur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It looks apparent at this point that this team plays up and down to its competition (obviously more of the latter), which given our pretty soft schedule this year is pretty abhorrent. So what, we maybe snag 1-2 wins against Colorado/Oregon State/Arizona, maybe get a win or 2 versus the California schools (probably none), looking at 3-9/4-8, hell 5-7 optimistically? To even go 6-6 would be a drastic turnaround and indicates how bad this whole thing is going.

There is chatter about Wilcox's buyout, but at this point he has himself in a corner, he has to clean house prior to 2022 but which assistants are willing to come onboard a sinking ship that requires a huge improvement next year just to stay afloat? Wilcox this year (aside from getting some damn wins) basically has to do one of these:

1. Get the Axe
2. Beat SC

If he does either of those, that will calm things down, but here is my personal 2022 benchmark that can cool him off for a bit:

Win in South Bend

For now, Wilcox is on the hot seat and the winter of discontent is here.
Golden One
Strykur said:

It looks apparent at this point that this team plays up and down to its competition (obviously more of the latter), which given our pretty soft schedule this year is pretty abhorrent. So what, we maybe snag 1-2 wins against Colorado/Oregon State/Arizona, maybe get a win or 2 versus the California schools (probably none), looking at 3-9/4-8, hell 5-7 optimistically? To even go 6-6 would be a drastic turnaround and indicates how bad this whole thing is going.

There is chatter about Wilcox's buyout, but at this point he has himself in a corner, he has to clean house prior to 2022 but which assistants are willing to come onboard a sinking ship that requires a huge improvement next year just to stay afloat? Wilcox this year (aside from getting some damn wins) basically has to do one of these:

1. Get the Axe
2. Beat SC

If he does either of those, that will calm things down, but here is my personal 2022 benchmark that can cool him off for a bit:

Win in South Bend

For now, Wilcox is on the hot seat and the winter of discontent is here.
At this point, I see no chance that he can do either 1 or 2. With a lot of luck, we may be able to defeat Arizona and/or Colorado. This looks like a 3-9 season at best to me.
wifeisafurd
Why are we seeing pictures of Wilcox wandering around will the offense is huddling on the side during time outs in the fourth quarter?

When you become head coach you run all three units. Wilcox's predecessor was an offensive minded coach who delegated his defense to others and lost his job. At some point Wilcox is facing the same fate unless he steps back and acts like a real head coach.
Golden One
wifeisafurd said:

Why are we seeing pictures of Wilcox wandering around will the offense is huddling on the side during time outs in the fourth quarter?

When you become head coach you run all three units. Wilcox's predecessor was an offensive minded coach who delegated his defense to others and lost his job. At some point Wilcox is facing the same fate unless he steps back and acts like a real head coach.
I don't think he has a clue when it comes to offense.
Strykur
Golden One said:

wifeisafurd said:

He doesn't. We should have just rolled the dice with Jake Spavital.
Big C
Golden One said:

wifeisafurd said:

Yeah, I don't want Wilcox involved in the offense any more than I want Jim Knowlton involved in the coach hiring.
kal kommie
Strykur said:

Golden One said:

wifeisafurd said:

The guy who's 7-22 at Texas State???
Strykur
kal kommie said:

Strykur said:

Golden One said:

wifeisafurd said:

Texas State is a coaching graveyard with no expectations of winning, so that has to be considered.
KenBurnski
Didn't Kathy Ireland play for Texas State?
calumnus
Big C said:

Golden One said:

wifeisafurd said:

Yeah, I don't want Wilcox involved in the offense any more than I want Jim Knowlton involved in the coach hiring.

Except this game because Musgrave doesn't know DeRuyter's tendencies, but Wilcox does.
socaliganbear
wifeisafurd said:

We prob wouldn't mind as much if the OC was killing it. But he's not.
Skeedabear
calumnus said:

Big C said:

Golden One said:

wifeisafurd said:

Except this game because Musgrave doesn't know DeRuyter's tendencies, but Wilcox does.

Wilcox should know the tendencies, saying he does gives him too much credit at this point.
The last play of the game, the inside blitz up the middle was what TDR did when CAL beat U$C…Intelligent, let alone competent, coaching should have expected this and have a plan in place to negate. It wasn't done and the results speak for themselves.
59bear
Strykur said:

kal kommie said:

Strykur said:

Golden One said:

wifeisafurd said:

Texas State is a coaching graveyard with no expectations of winning, so that has to be considered.
And Cal isn't?
oski003
On the last play, there was a rb going out to the left flat (well covered by the de who didn't rush), a middle cross which the db covered well, and an out and corner route on the right (blanketed). Garber's only option were to lead the crossing route, which would have taken a perfect throw (bc the db was on the back of the receiver) or to hit the corner route right away as it developed with the pass thrown precut. The corner was open. These weren't easy throws, but the play calling had blitz beaters. There was a dropped pass in the end zone and a bad overthrow of an open receiver in the end zone in this sequence as well.
LunchTime
Wilcox is not getting fired until 2022 season ticket renewals come in around Feb.

Like when Dykes was canned, he was only canned because we couldn't sell tickets... Winning and losing only mattered in relation to ticket sales.

Cal is playing in a stadium with 1000 people, and can claim 40,000 sales means the program is healthy.

Anyone who buys tickets to this show is why this quality is acceptable.
PaulCali
LunchTime said:

Wilcox is not getting fired until 2022 season ticket renewals come in around Feb.

Like when Dykes was canned, he was only canned because we couldn't sell tickets... Winning and losing only mattered in relation to ticket sales.

Cal is playing in a stadium with 1000 people, and can claim 40,000 sales means the program is healthy.

My guess is that Wilcox gets at least one more year, and probably two more, as long as the team keeps playing hard and stays competitive.
Strykur
PaulCali said:

LunchTime said:

My guess is that Wilcox gets at least one more year, and probably two more, as long as the team keeps playing hard and stays competitive.
Dude we looked completely limp-dick against Wazzu, we showed up in Eugene but if this team comes out flat (again) versus Colorado...
eabandit
Quote:

The last play of the game, the inside blitz up the middle was what TDR did when CAL beat U$C…Intelligent, let alone competent, coaching should have expected this and have a plan in place to negate. It wasn't done and the results speak for themselves.

https://twitter.com/HeyImTray/status/1449254796179869698?t=XXXS16SFEvLfzT_Cx37Jng&s=19
Big C
PaulCali said:

LunchTime said:

Barring complete collapse and/or dissension, he very likely returns for next year, but will be on a very hot seat. Geez, though, did you see him in the interview after the game? I'm not sure he is well.

Bottom line, those willing to bankroll the mid-upper-seven figures for a coaching change will be making this call, not me.
SBGold
Stays competitive? Lol
Golden One
Strykur said:

kal kommie said:

Strykur said:

Golden One said:

wifeisafurd said:

In other words Texas State is just like Cal.

Golden One
Golden One said:

Strykur said:

In other words, Texas State is just like Cal.
Strykur
Golden One said:

Golden One said:

Strykur said:

In other words, Texas State is just like Cal.

Real talk, Spavital would be doing much better to start his coaching career if he took over in 2017 than starting off at Texas State.
Golden One
Big C said:

PaulCali said:

LunchTime said:

Barring complete collapse and/or dissension, he very likely returns for next year, but will be on a very hot seat. Geez, though, did you see him in the interview after the game? I'm not sure he is well.

Bottom line, those willing to bankroll the mid-upper-seven figures for a coaching change will be making this call, not me.

You don't think we're in the midst of a complete collapse right now? We're at 1-5, and heading for 3-9 at best. 1-11 is quite possible. Looks like a complete collapse to me.
Big C
Golden One said:

Big C said:

PaulCali said:

LunchTime said:

You don't think we're in the midst of a complete collapse right now? We're at 1-5, and heading for 3-9 at best. 1-11 is quite possible. Looks like a complete collapse to me.

Yes, we have begun a collapse, unfortunately, but we still have six games remaining. And even if we were to go 4-2 to finish the season (rather unlikely), that would leave us at a disappointing 5-7.

What I'm saying is, if we go even 3-3, to finish a lousy 4-8, I fully expect Wilcox to be back next season, albeit on the hot seat. (unless some big donors get disgusted enough to pony up a buy out)

If we end up 1-11 or 2-10, I think he's got to go. 3-9 is where it gets iffy. Flip a coin. Understand that I'm not talking about what I want to happen, but what I expect to happen.
okaydo
We're going to end this season with a winning record. You heard it hear first.
Golden One
okaydo said:

LOL!!
KoreAmBear
okaydo said:

Hmm run the table including a bowl game. Prob the only way I would want Wilcox back.
dimitrig
KoreAmBear said:

okaydo said:

Hmm run the table including a bowl game. Prob the only way I would want Wilcox back.

Not sure that would be enough to be honest...

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.