I hope Garber is doing well in school.......

4,016 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by calumnus
Strykur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
going4roses said:

5 different playbooks 3 different OC's and 4 different QB coaches.

No clear system all 4-5 yrs

And y'all blame him

GTFOH

and give up his wins too !!!

True, but missing wide open guys in the endzone is not a coaching or scheme problem.
heartofthebear
Big C said:

heartofthebear said:

Garbers can make all the throws and make all the decisions but he has to want it. He has to focus so that he is consistent. He's just disinterested in making every play. It's a mental problem. You can see it on the field.

Would he be more interested in the NFL? probably. And he'd have better coaching.

But he needs to improve his vision. He fails to see the receiver who is wide open.
He should know where his receivers are at this point but he doesn't.
Several times he was not on the same page as his receivers last night.
I don't know if this is his problem or the receiver unit but these are mental and coaching issues that he can improve on if he makes the effort.

What I see in Garbers is lack of effort unless he is pushed to late in the game by the situation. If Cal is up by 7 points, he relaxes and losses focus. This is why Cal plays down to the competition.

Can Garbers change for the NFL? Probably
Will he? probably not.

Strong disagree. Questioning Garbers' effort is way off base, unless you are a member of the staff who has worked with him the past few years (and they ain't talking).

You mention his focus. This is like when the clueless teacher of a diagnosed ADHD student tells the parents, "Billy needs to focus and try harder!".

His lack of field vision is innate and, combined with his relative lack of arm talent, is why he is unlikely to play in the NFL. At this level, he usually ranges between so-so and pretty good. Good runner!

As others have alluded to, this team has multiple problems. I get that Garbers gets singled out because he's the QB. So be it. I hope he finishes strongly and we get some wins!
It is obvious that he does not make enough of an effort to set his feet and throw accurately on basic screens. Screens are relatively easy passes but you have to lead the runner so there is YAC. A screen is worthless if the receiver has to lay out to catch it or has to go to one knee. This is not an arm strength issue. I do agree that arm strength may be an issue with him as well. But it is not the main problem because he often overthrows his receivers.

I may be off base on the things you say. I was coming up with a few possibilities to explain the inconsistency. We've all seen him play well enough to be one of the better QBs in the conference but then it goes away again. He was playing as well as a sophomore as he is now.

I find it hard to believe he maxed out his ability as a sophomore. So if it is not lack of effort, poor coaching, lack of focus or some combination then what is your explanation. Again, it can't be that he maxed out his talent 3 years ago. And, if so, then how come he all of the sudden played so poorly in the Cheez-Its bowl? That performance was well below what you claim is his limited level of talent.

Basically my point is that, whatever level of talent or arm strength you select based on your beliefs, his execution has been wildly inconsistent. It has been inconsistent from play to play, from quarter to quarter, from game to game and from season to season. What is your explanation for that other than poor coaching, poor focus or poor effort.

Another thing: If Garbers has basic arm strength/accuracy problems, why did we recruit him and make him the starter causing 4 other QBs to transfer?
heartofthebear
71Bear said:

Trumpanzee said:

He will not make it in the NFL. It's disappointing to see this young man's digression especially since he's a "super senior". The under/over thrown passes just can't happen when you been playing college ball for almost 6 years. I believe Oregon's QB was younger and made way better throws. It's a shame Wilcox job depends on this kind of performance.

He is not a "super senior". He is a redshirt senior. Next year, should he choose to return, he will be a "super senior".

As for the NFL, he has never been a prospect. This year's play has not changed that either way.
He would still have to qualify under a grad program if he graduates this season. So it is not just a matter of what he chooses to do football-wise. I hope he does return. As critical as I am of him, there is nobody else even close to his ability. Maybe there is a sudden leap in the offense since he and Musgrave will have had a full season on the field (2021) and a full season off the field (2020). Maybe the 3rd year will allow the offense to really open up.
Big Dog
76BearsFly said:

We appreciate Garbers' efforts and hangin' in there. But, he just is not the guy we need.
tbf: that is true for quite a few starters. In addition to the OL, Garbers has not had much in the way of (highly rated) receivers that can make difficult catches, for example. To beat highly ranked teams, we need a few highly ranked athletes on both sides of the ball, and on ST's.
going4roses
This garbers doesn't beat Washington twice at sc nor across the bay.
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
Trumpanzee
kal kommie said:

I don't understand what motivates a thread like this. Is anyone saying Garbers is an NFL prospect? Does this thread serve any purpose except to single out and dump on a guy who has always given 100% for our team and carried himself with class?

When you follow guys like Rodgers and Goff, ya you think about NFL. Any other school with 2 starting NFL QB's.......
Trumpanzee
Strykur said:

going4roses said:

5 different playbooks 3 different OC's and 4 different QB coaches.

No clear system all 4-5 yrs

And y'all blame him

GTFOH

and give up his wins too !!!

True, but missing wide open guys in the endzone is not a coaching or scheme problem.

When your best pass of the night is a desperation shovel pass???? Come on, you saw same game we all did! Passes thrown at the feet of RB's, missing wide open receivers in the end zone.....
going4roses
No blame on HC ? Or OC (past and present)or OL coaching/recruiting/play (past and present)

He has not/was not consistently put into a position to succeed and the results are evident see lasts nights game
Trumpanzee
going4roses said:

No blame on HC ? Or OC (past and present)or OL coaching/recruiting/play (past and present)

He has not/was not consistently put into a position to succeed and the results are evident see lasts nights game

I agree, there is plenty of blame to share. I would love to be a fly on the wall when they go over game film this week. I could only imagine.......

Wilcox: Chase why were throwing the ball at the feet of your RB's?
Chase: He was moving too fast and I couldn't get my timing down.

Wilcox: Why were you over throwing your receivers in the end zone?
Chase: I thought he could run faster than that.

71Bear
Trumpanzee said:

kal kommie said:

I don't understand what motivates a thread like this. Is anyone saying Garbers is an NFL prospect? Does this thread serve any purpose except to single out and dump on a guy who has always given 100% for our team and carried himself with class?

When you follow guys like Rodgers and Goff, ya you think about NFL. Any other school with 2 starting NFL QB's.......
We have been through this before. The answer is Yes.
calumnus
kal kommie said:

100%
KoreAmBear
In pure Cal fashion we fired Beau just when the players especially Garbers started to get his "multiple" system in the last three games of 2019. Yes, I understand they were not the best competition, but there was flow and purpose. And O has reverted back fits and starts again, randomly looking decent to terrible under Musgrave for the most part against good and bad teams. I truly believe had we retained Beau, Garbers would have continued his arc in getting better and Makai Polk would have stayed. We were primed for Beau's offense to finally be good in year 4. But we started over with a completely different offense, and that's that. We're Cal. Our timing is really bad. It's unfortunate because with a 5th year senior QB and how crappy the Pac-12 is, we should have been in the mix.
pasadenaorbust
KoreAmBear said:

In pure Cal fashion we fired Beau just when the players especially Garbers started to get his "multiple" system in the last three games of 2019. Yes, I understand they were not the best competition, but there was flow and purpose. And O has reverted back fits and starts again, randomly looking decent to terrible under Musgrave for the most part against good and bad teams. I truly believe had we retained Beau, Garbers would have continued his arc in getting better and Makai Polk would have stayed. We were primed for Beau's offense to finally be good in year 4. But we started over with a completely different offense, and that's that. We're Cal. Our timing is really bad. It's unfortunate because with a 5th year senior QB and how crappy the Pac-12 is, we should have been in the mix.
Could not agree more. Whatever you want to say about Chase...what I've seen from the offense line is almost sieve-like in protection. No offense to the players, but the WSU and Oregon games were the worst. Their DL's were pouring through Cal's OL. It has to throw everything off for the QB when he knows he has few seconds to make a play. He was coming along very well under Baldwin in 2019, and as I mentioned before...his QB rating was better than Rodgers was in his sophomore year. When Baldwin left...or was let go (not sure what it really was), I was thinking, this might not turn out well for Chase.
going4roses
This part totally
Big C
KoreAmBear said:

Agree. The 2019 offense struggled mightily... when Garbers and Saffell were out injured. It functioned a lot better when they were in the lineup. That said, it might not have been possible to keep Baldwin, as reportedly his wife (and maybe kids) were not here in the Bay Area with him and he was having to deal with that.

Now we've dug ourselves into quite the hole with JW's second OC not working out so well (as the young QBs learn that offense, too). What to do? What to do? The lament of a Cal Fan...
bearister
calumnus said:

kal kommie said:

100%

Do I think it is a false goal for Chase to think he could beat out Nathan Peterman, or equivalent, in a tryout? No, I do not, Sir. Peterman has earned $3.5 million in 5 years and will probably never get CTE (unless he has a habit of repeatedly banging his head against his locker after listening to Carr's bs post game pressie stylings). It takes most Cal grads a lot of time to earn $3,500,000.

*Sean Marks made $11,000,000 in a 10+ year NBA career with a career scoring average of just over 2 points. He probably never sprained an ankle (still making millions as GM). In pro sports aspire for the bottom and secure your financial future!
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
calumnus
dimitrig said:

Golden One said:

dimitrig said:

Wilcox seems to be able to coach okay but he can't land the recruits he needs.

Are you kidding? What has Wilcox done in 5 years that convinces you he can coach? I submit that he can neither recruit or coach. He is especially pathetic on the offensive side of the ball. He is not now and never was head coach material. At best, he is an average to below-average defensive coordinator.

He took over a bad Dykes team and did better with the same talent.

So I would say he can coach okay.

Okay means average.

He's not a great coach and combined with his recruiting misses I think it's time he is shown the door.

He did not "take over a bad Dykes team and do better with the same talent"
Dykes 2016 5-7 ((3-6)
Wilcox 2017 5-7 (2-7)

He took a below average team and did the same, actually slightly worse.

Based on their Cal records especially, Wilcox and Dykes are bizzaro twins, mirror images of each other.

Dykes had good to great offense combined with horrible defense. Wilcox had good to great defense combined with horrible offense.

Dykes had a horrible first year growing to an 8-5 (4-5) year in year 3 before retreating to mediocrity in year 4 and getting fired. Wilcox started at mediocrity, grew to 8-5 (4-5) in year 3 before retreating to horrible in years 4 and 5.

Neither ever or (has ever) had a winning record in the PAC-12.

Wilcox could still turn it around this year, but I see nothing that gives me great hope he will. Musgrave is an improvement over Baldwin but is not good. This team needs great to put it I. A position to succeed. Cal's defense is not up to the levels Wilcox had earlier. The result is in his 4th and 5th years Wilcox is fielding worse teams than he started with. That is not program building.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.