OT: The windfall for the Atlanta Braves

1,159 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by heartofthebear
heartofthebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Atlanta Braves won 88 games this season. Just 7 games over .500. They had the worst record among the 10 playoff teams, including the 2 wild card teams. But, because they won their division, they got to be seeded 3rd rather than 5th in the NL. Meanwhile 2 better teams had to play in the wildcard game while Atlanta rested. Then, because of the luck of the seeding, they did not have to face either the Giants (107 wins) or the Dodgers (106 wins) and were able to get by Milwaukee.

Now, the Braves do have to face the Dodgers but they have home field advantage because, technically they are the higher seed (3rd seed over 4th seed).

I understand that there is nothing new about this and that the division winners get all the perks but I don't think they should. I think the playoffs should be re-seeded for the league championship series because, at that point, the teams have proven that they are the 2 best in the league regardless of divisions. IOW divisions should not play into the league championship series seeding at all. What still is relevant is the overall record.

The other thing that is weird is that the higher seed does not get to choose their setting. It can be argued that the lower seed actually has the better set up in a seven game series because of the statistical reality that it is easier to split a 2 game series away than it is to win 2 out 3 away.

The lower seed can win quite easily by splitting each 2 game series away and winning 2 out of 3 at home. It would make more sense to have two 3 game series and then a potential game 7 at the higher seeded park.

Anyway, Atlanta should be respected for doing so well despite the injury to Acuna earlier this year. But I think they are benefiting from the post season rules much more than any other team.
bearsandgiants
Cal Football spoken here
Chapman_is_Gone
This is not a baseball board.
StrawberryCanyon
Good. I'm a part owner of the team.

(The Braves are publicly-traded.)
71Bear
heartofthebear said:

The Atlanta Braves won 88 games this season. Just 7 games over .500. They had the worst record among the 10 playoff teams, including the 2 wild card teams. But, because they won their division, they got to be seeded 3rd rather than 5th in the NL. Meanwhile 2 better teams had to play in the wildcard game while Atlanta rested. Then, because of the luck of the seeding, they did not have to face either the Giants (107 wins) or the Dodgers (106 wins) and were able to get by Milwaukee.

Now, the Braves do have to face the Dodgers but they have home field advantage because, technically they are the higher seed (3rd seed over 4th seed).

I understand that there is nothing new about this and that the division winners get all the perks but I don't think they should. I think the playoffs should be re-seeded for the league championship series because, at that point, the teams have proven that they are the 2 best in the league regardless of divisions. IOW divisions should not play into the league championship series seeding at all. What still is relevant is the overall record.

The other thing that is weird is that the higher seed does not get to choose their setting. It can be argued that the lower seed actually has the better set up in a seven game series because of the statistical reality that it is easier to split a 2 game series away than it is to win 2 out 3 away.

The lower seed can win quite easily by splitting each 2 game series away and winning 2 out of 3 at home. It would make more sense to have two 3 game series and then a potential game 7 at the higher seeded park.

Anyway, Atlanta should be respected for doing so well despite the injury to Acuna earlier this year. But I think they are benefiting from the post season rules much more than any other team.
I like the current playoff structure. Baseball should be about the 162 game regular season. My advice to teams that don't like it, play better during the regular season and you won't have to worry about seeding in the postseason.

Besides, the Giants won it all as a wild card in '14. Why wouldn't I like the current structure?
Unit2Sucks
71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

I like the current playoff structure. Baseball should be about the 162 game regular season. My advice to teams that don't like it, play better during the regular season and you won't have to worry about seeding in the postseason.

Besides, the Giants won it all as a wild card in '14. Why wouldn't I like the current structure?
Giants lost to wild card Marlins two times en route to Marlins championships. You don't know what would have happened without the WC system. I'm not saying that this is a Giants specific issue but just that the Giants haven't necessarily benefited overall from the WC.
71Bear
Unit2Sucks said:

71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

Giants lost to wild card Marlins two times en route to Marlins championships. You don't know what would have happened without the WC system. I'm not saying that this is a Giants specific issue but just that the Giants haven't necessarily benefited overall from the WC.
True but the 2014 WS was my favorite so I added a reference to it in my comment.

Anyway you cut it, I like the current system because it emphasizes the value of the regular season. LA was staggered by the play-in game plus a difficult series v. SF. It showed in the first two games of the Atlanta series. That is as it should be - there should not be an easy road for the wild card…

heartofthebear
I'm fine with the mods. moving this thread to the OT board if they so choose.
My apologies. In the recent past I have posted stuff like this on that OT board but I kind of got lazy this time and thought folks would appreciate it being on this board since the baseball playoffs are going on and there is only so much fire Wilcox talk that is of interest.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.