Goff to the bench?

15 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by okaydo
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearister
Only AR could perform on a team that wretched. I wish Jared had 2.5 seconds of protection and Ruggs as his WR.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
hanky1
Everyone turns into Jared Goff

okaydo
bearister said:

Only AR could perform on a team that wretched. I wish Jared had 2.5 seconds of protection and Ruggs as his WR.

I'm not saying Goff is great or anything.

But this season is a mirror image or possibly worse than his first season: his offensive coordinator is in his first year of offensive coordinating, just like in 2016. In 2016, he had a QB coach with 1 year experience. This year, he has a QB coach with 0 years experience (who was coaching high school football last year). Except for his #1 pick tight end, he doesn't have much to throw to.

Don't get me wrong: Goff looks terrible. But his contemporaries Dak and Wentz have had the benefit of having really experienced coaches from the get-go through today. (Yes, Goff had McVay. But after his first season with McVay, his OC and QB coach would leave. The rinse and repeat every year with the Rams.)
calbear93
bearister said:

He had Kupp and Woods last year and decent protection. He was still making poor decisions. He was great at Cal, and I will always be his fan. But he is a bust as the #1 pick and should most likely be a back-up in the NFL.
okaydo
Here's the question I'm trying to ask myself: Goff sucking this year and the past couple years, including the Super Bowl, has sucked my joy out of football. I don't know why I care. Why do I care? I have come to the point where I've stopped following Goff on social media and stop watching his games. But the problem is, NFL Red Zone doesn't offer an option to omit Lions games.

Anyways, I've become uncaring about Rodgers' success. I mean, I'm happy for him. But I'm sort of ambivalent about Rodgers. But for some reason, Goff sucking is like nails to a chalkboard for me. While Rodgers' success is ho-hum. Yet Rodgers means more to me in me being a football fan than Goff did. I can't explain it.

okaydo
hanky1 said:

Everyone turns into Jared Goff

I wonder when Patrick Mahomes will follow in Rodgers' footsteps... and cut off his family.

edg64
calbear93 said:

bearister said:

He had Kupp and Woods last year and decent protection. He was still making poor decisions. He was great at Cal, and I will always be his fan. But he is a bust as the #1 pick and should most likely be a back-up in the NFL.
The Rams gave up a lot to draft Goff
The Rams gave up a lot to get rid of goff
I feel embarrassed for Goff. He just doesn't have it
bipolarbear
okaydo said:

Here's the question I'm trying to ask myself: Goff sucking this year and the past couple years, including the Super Bowl, has sucked my joy out of football. I don't know why I care. Why do I care? I have come to the point where I've stopped following Goff on social media and stop watching his games. But the problem is, NFL Red Zone doesn't offer an option to omit Lions games.

Anyways, I've become uncaring about Rodgers' success. I mean, I'm happy for him. But I'm sort of ambivalent about Rodgers. But for some reason, Goff sucking is like nails to a chalkboard for me. While Rodgers' success is ho-hum. Yet Rodgers means more to me in me being a football fan than Goff did. I can't explain it.

I think it is the whole Cal rooting for the downtrodden thing kicking in. I suffer from it too.
wifeisafurd
okaydo said:

Some of this is you have seen Goff when he controls games, and the recent games are such a disconnect. Goff's issues of late may have to do with Goff's skill sets. He is relatively immobile, but given some time is an accurate NFL passer. He needs to be in an offense where he can get the ball out quickly or he benefits from a top oline.
Microbear85
I feel a little embarrassed for him. But, he is making $30M+ per year. So, I think he'll be okay.
BearForce2
Yeah but is he vaccinated and what were the contents of his emails 10 years ago?
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
calbear93
edg64 said:

calbear93 said:

bearister said:

The Rams gave up a lot to draft Goff
The Rams gave up a lot to get rid of goff
I feel embarrassed for Goff. He just doesn't have it
I wanted success for him, and was thrilled when it looked like he was making the turn to being an elite QB, but then it all fell apart again. It has to be tough but, with all the money he has already made, he is more fortunate than most.
Chapman_is_Gone
He wasn't "great" at Cal, IMO. He was "very good" at best. At Cal he was not clutch and he failed in a number of close game 4th quarter situations.
calbear93
Chapman_is_Gone said:

He wasn't "great" at Cal, IMO. He was "very good" at best. At Cal he was not clutch and he failed in a number of close game 4th quarter situations.
Probably a very biased view and partly due to lack of success at that position since Rodgers and early Longshore.
HearstMining
Chapman_is_Gone said:

I think you hit the nail on the head - but because he was the only bright light during the frustrating Dykes years, it made him appear "great" and being drafted #1 reinforced this perception. But that draft was an incredibly weak QB class (Carson Wentz has had an uneven career and the only other 1st round pick was Paxton Lynch who lasted two seasons with the Broncos). Personally, I was frustrated as Goff repeatedly under-threw or over-threw Treggs on deep routes.

As long as I've watched Cal games, the great ones were Morton, Bartkowski, Roth, and Rodgers. Everyone else was a step below.
Bobodeluxe
Sonny made Goff a multi millionaire.

A simple story.

A true story.
okaydo
It's still crazy that since Goff has been in the NFL:

2016: Rodgers is good, Goff is bad.
2017: Goff is good, Rodgers is bad.
2018: Goff is good, Rodgers is bad.
2019: Rodgers is good, Goff is bad.
2020: Rodgers is good, Goff is bad.
2021: Rodgers is good, Goff is bad.
golden sloth
Chapman_is_Gone said:

He also had a few late game winning drives in the 4th. It's unfair to dump on someone when they fall short but not praise them for their successes. Specifically I'm thinking Arizona state and colorado. He also had a big play to seal the game against uw.
golden sloth
Bobodeluxe said:

Sonny made Goff a multi millionaire.

A simple story.

A true story.

It wouldn't surprise me if he credits tony Franklin more. After all, he invited tony franklin and not sonny dykes to his draft party.
71Bear
Chapman_is_Gone said:

We agree on very little Chapman; however, on this point, you nailed it…

Goff's biggest drawback at Cal was his inability to produce when the lights were brightest. The Utah game in SLC is a prime example of that.

The Rams wisely dumped him and Detroit is now learning that he just is not very good, primarily because he just doesn't have "it". Another nice guy struggling to make his way in a kick-ass environment. Hmmmm, that sounds awfully familiar…..
bearister
Goff set an NFL record this season: First NFL QB to lose 4 consecutive games in which his quarterback rating was 90 or better (loss to GB in closing seconds because of a record setting 66 yard FG and also a loss in closing seconds on a 50 yard FG). With the Lions D, Goff needs a 21 point lead in the 2nd half to avoid vulnerability to a long FG winning the game in the closing seconds for the opponent.
HungryCalBear
Maybe good for Goff to stand on the sideline and observe a few games. He never did that at Cal, and he sat out only the first few games in his Rams career. Rodgers was on the bench the first few years at Green Bay. For those who played football before: does it help?
calumnus
calbear93 said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Probably a very biased view and partly due to lack of success at that position since Rodgers and early Longshore.

Early Longshore? 2006? How was that "clutch"? His penchant for throwing 4th quarter interceptions began then. With the Rose Bowl on the line he threw three picks against Arizona and then 3 more against USC. That with an NFL line, NFL TEs and two NFL HOF skill players to throw to. The weakness of that team was 1) scheme 2. Longshore.

Goff put up amazing numbers in 2015. We did not do better than we did because of the defense. However, a lot if Goff's success was scheme, which was perfect for him. I was anxious for him when he went #1. I knew that he went too high but hoped for the best. He was definitely a "system quarterback." That propelled him to #1 like Alex Smith over Aaron Rogers. Smith managed to survive being a "bust" and has had a long career. Hopefully Goff does too. However there are just a lot of good young quarterbacks coming out of the college ranks these days (unfortunately not from Cal).
bearister
HungryCalBear said:

Maybe good for Goff to stand on the sideline and observe a few games. He never did that at Cal, and he sat out only the first few games in his Rams career. Rodgers was on the bench the first few years at Green Bay. For those who played football before: does it help?

Goff is a durable human Gumby. He will watch a replacement QB play about 3/4 of a game before said replacement sustains a season ending injury.
calbear93
calumnus said:

calbear93 said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Early Longshore? 2006? How was that "clutch"? His penchant for throwing 4th quarter interceptions began then. With the Rose Bowl on the line he threw three picks against Arizona and then 3 more against USC. That with an NFL line, NFL TEs and two NFL HOF skill players to throw to. The weakness of that team was 1) scheme 2. Longshore.

Goff put up amazing numbers in 2015. We did not do better than we did because of the defense. However, a lot if Goff's success was scheme, which was perfect for him. I was anxious for him when he went #1. I knew that he went too high but hoped for the best. He was definitely a "system quarterback." That propelled him to #1 like Alex Smith over Aaron Rogers. Smith managed to survive being a "bust" and has had a long career. Hopefully Goff does too. However there are just a lot of good young quarterbacks coming out of the college ranks these days (unfortunately not from Cal).
I think the pre-Oregon injury Longshore was pretty clutch. It was after we barely beat Oregon with the last second fluke fumble that went into the endzone that he was never the same. Maybe I am misremembering.
82gradDLSdad
HungryCalBear said:

Yes.

I played freshman football at SH and was benched when I failed at blocking Riordan's DE for about an entire half. I swear that guy was Lawrence Taylor.
82gradDLSdad
calumnus said:

calbear93 said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

I do remember attending a preseason practice during Goff's first year. We all assumed one of the returners would be the starting QB. But I remember being impressed with how much more quicky got the ball out in drills. I didn't think much about it other than he was good but I guess Franklin figured he'd be able to groom his own guy for 3-4 years by picking Goff as the starter.
Big C
71Bear said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

We agree on very little Chapman; however, on this point, you nailed it…

Goff's biggest drawback at Cal was his inability to produce when the lights were brightest. The Utah game in SLC is a prime example of that.

The Rams wisely dumped him and Detroit is now learning that he just is not very good, primarily because he just doesn't have "it". Another nice guy struggling to make his way in a kick-ass environment. Hmmmm, that sounds awfully familiar…..

"Great" or "Very good"? I don't know, but he was a really, really good quarterback at Cal. I would've loved to see him operate with a better supporting cast (offense and defense). Maybe a step under Rodgers, Bartkowski, Roth and Morton, but steps ahead of all the rest.

Not so great in the NFL. Probably not the #1 pick, most seasons. But he was the #1 pick his season. And he has made the Pro Bowl. That's not bad.

I think Goff deserves more props from us than he gets. I can't help but think that some of it is misplaced dislike of Sonny. Jared Goff is a great Golden Bear.
Chapman_is_Gone
golden sloth said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

He also had a few late game winning drives in the 4th. It's unfair to dump on someone when they fall short but not praise them for their successes. Specifically I'm thinking Arizona state and colorado. He also had a big play to seal the game against uw.
How is calling someone "very good" "dumping" on them? It's not...
calumnus
82gradDLSdad said:

calumnus said:

calbear93 said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

I do remember attending a preseason practice during Goff's first year. We all assumed one of the returners would be the starting QB. But I remember being impressed with how much more quicky got the ball out in drills. I didn't think much about it other than he was good but I guess Franklin figured he'd be able to groom his own guy for 3-4 years by picking Goff as the starter.

I lived in downtown Berkeley that year and attended all the practices. I confounded many on this board by saying Goff was. better than Kline and was winning the QB competition. Both could rifle the ball, but Goff had a quicker release and could take something off it too (something that even Aaron Rodgers had to learn). He was far better hitting RBs in stride on swing passes, he had better height and could run if he had to.

One thing that plagues him to this day (from a PR standpoint) is he appears to act like the game is a game. He does not get too high or too low. He does not appear to have "fiery competitiveness." He does not slam his helmet down after an interception.

For those who do not remember:

2015 Goff 341 of 529 (65%) 5,714 yards 43 TDS 13 Int 161 QBR
2006 Longshore 227 of 377 (60%) 3,021 yds 24 TDS 13 Int 142 QBR

People think more highly of "early Longshore" because we won 10 games in 2006 versus 8 in 2015.

We had 15 players on the 2006 team get drafted and 17 made NFL rosters:
Marshawn Lynch
Brandon Mebane
Dante Hughes
Desmond Bishop
Desean Jackson
Craig Stevens
Thomas DeCloud
Lavelle Hawkins
Mike Gibson
Justin Forest
Alex Mack
Zack Follet
Cameron Morrah
Tyson Alulalu
Syd'Quan Thompson
Bryan Storer (Undrafted FA)
Will Ta'ufo'ou (undrafted FA)

When you play on a team with 17 future NFL players, including future NFL HOF players, you are going to look good.

Goff was not surrounded by as much talent. Other than Goff, 7 players from the 2015 team would get drafted and 13 would make NFL rosters (2 more redshirted that year).
Trevor Davis
Daniel Lasco
Kenny Lawler
Chad Hansen
Khalfani Muhammad
James Looney
Devante Downs
Stephen Anderson (FA)
Maurice Harris (FA)
Stefan McClure (FA)
Patrick Mekari (FA)
Darius Powe (FA)
Bryce Treggs (FA)
Jaylin Hawkins (redshirted)
Ashtyn Davis (redshirted)

Certainly Goff had a wealth of receivers to throw to in 2015, plus two RBs that would get drafted, but it was nothing like the 2006 team. Goff was the best player on the 2015 team. Longshore was not close to being the best player on the 2006 team.

Oski87
Goff does not look good but he does not have a single NFL quality receiver on his team. So...that is tough.

He is still careless with the ball. But - he had two game winning drives this year - which the defense immediately gave back and let the other team score 2 long distance field goals.

Regardless of what you think of Goff - and the whole world seems to love to hate him for some reason - probably because is he not an ******* so they love to pile on - he does what he is paid to do. He has two receivers in the top 80 of the NFL - who have caught about 1/3 of his passes. One is his tight end, and the other is his RB. The running game is the 29th in the NFL. He has NO ONE to throw to. Yet he is 15th in passing yardage, 14th in completion percentage. Give him Devante Adams or Cooper Kupp, or Mike Williams or DK Metcalf and I am sure he would be a hell of a lot better QB.

This is basically an expansion team right now. We'll see how he comes out of this but he is clearly the best QB on his team and probably about 14 other teams.

calumnus
Oski87 said:

Goff does not look good but he does not have a single NFL quality receiver on his team. So...that is tough.

He is still careless with the ball. But - he had two game winning drives this year - which the defense immediately gave back and let the other team score 2 long distance field goals.

Regardless of what you think of Goff - and the whole world seems to love to hate him for some reason - probably because is he not an ******* so they love to pile on - he does what he is paid to do. He has two receivers in the top 80 of the NFL - who have caught about 1/3 of his passes. One is his tight end, and the other is his RB. The running game is the 29th in the NFL. He has NO ONE to throw to. Yet he is 15th in passing yardage, 14th in completion percentage. Give him Devante Adams or Cooper Kupp, or Mike Williams or DK Metcalf and I am sure he would be a hell of a lot better QB.

This is basically an expansion team right now. We'll see how he comes out of this but he is clearly the best QB on his team and probably about 14 other teams.

It is the blessing/curse of being drafted #1 or just in the first round. The money is good but the criticism is high. Those who opposed the pick want to say "I told you so" and pike on. You see it in the discussions of Trey Lance.
okaydo
Here's my conspiracy theory:

The Lions and Goff have deliberately looked bad to lull the Rams into thinking this week's game will be easy.

The Lions beating Stafford.

Goff beating McVay.

That would be worth like 4 wins to the Lions.

Why is the Lions coach publicly and repeatedly calling out Goff on this week of all weeks?

It's all part of the plan!
okaydo
calumnus said:

Oski87 said:

It is the blessing/curse of being drafted #1 or just in the first round. The money is good but the criticism is high. Those who opposed the pick want to say "I told you so" and pike on. You see it in the discussions of Trey Lance.

The thing is, once Goff went from terrible to successful, other teams want to plunder the coaches that work closely with him. And they kept doing that. Goff has lost to teams this season head coached by his former QB coach and his former offensive coordinator.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.