Jared Goff part II

6,851 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by okaydo
HateRed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That poor guy is the most unlucky quarterback in the universe.
okaydo
HateRed
Very lucky lady wise!! Holy moly…
okaydo
HateRed said:

My horrible misogynistic conspiracy theory: Ever since he went public with dating her, in the middle of the 2018 Super Bowl season, Goff hasn't really been good. I associate her with him being bad.
bearister
okaydo said:

HateRed said:

My horrible misogynistic conspiracy theory: Ever since he went public with dating her, in the middle of the 2018 Super Bowl season, Goff hasn't really been good. I associate her with him being bad.

*I could take that New York Post tweet yard, but seeing it is Thanksgiving and all, notgonnadoit.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
82gradDLSdad
okaydo said:

HateRed said:

I associate her with him being lucky and living a life that 99.99999% of hetero men would love.
okaydo
okaydo

ColoradoBear
Matthew Stafford is who we thought he was.
Rtkbear
There was one poster who insisted Stafford was "the real deal."
southseasbear
I don't think anyone doubts that at this point Stafford is the better QB. He has more experience and has had better coaching than Goff, who may have more potential (assuming he can get quality and consistency of QB coaching). The point is that the Rams blamed Goff for their struggles, and maybe recent events indicate they should look to the coach rather than the QB. In the meantime, I hope Detroit gets Goff the tools he needs (wide receivers and offensive linemen).
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
TouchedTheAxeIn82
ColoradoBear said:

Matthew Stafford is who we thought he was.

Actually, the way I would put it is, Sean McVay is who we thought he was.
Rtkbear
I think the Rams fans thought they were going to go 15-2 by getting rid of Goff when the reality is they don't have a particularly good offensive line and lack proven playmakers (besides Kupp). The thing that was annoying was everyone in LA and the media were talking about Stafford like he was some elite talent when he's more of a just above average qb.
southseasbear
Rtkbear said:

I think the Rams fans thought they were going to go 15-2 by getting rid of Goff when the reality is they don't have a particularly good offensive line and lack proven playmakers (besides Kupp). The thing that was annoying was everyone in LA and the media were talking about Stafford like he was some elite talent when he's more of a just above average qb.
Agreed. And the Rams took steps to improve the OL and WR corps after trading Goff, and yet Stafford is still having problems.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
bearister
Goff trade? | Bear Insider

https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/100245
CaliforniaEternal
I am loving every Stafford pick 6, serves the Rams right!!! Next up to go is Mcvay no doubt.
oski003
Rtkbear said:

Woods and Akers are proven playmakers that got hurt. Beckham is a good replacement but needs to mesh with the offense. Agree that the o-line has always been weak.
okaydo
Stafford's wide receivers in 2020 (5 of the 6 play for other teams this season. The 6th is on IR).

Goff's wide receivers in 2021. Until Josh Reynolds recently joined the team (and caught a TD pass a few days ago), only 1 had been drafted (in the 4th round).

Here is the experience of Stafford's 2020 offensive coordinator.

Here is the experience of Goff's 2021 offensive coordinator.

Here is the experience of Stafford's 2020 quarterbacks coach.

Here is the experience of Goff's 2021 quarterbacks coach.

okaydo
I think McVay is really great at telling at making himself look like a genius while simultaneously making himself look really humble, down to earth and media friendly. That's part of his success. That's why the media at up McVay's narrative.

B.A. Bearacus
okaydo said:

Totally willing to be on board with this narrative, but I think there's no need to leave out noteworthy details such as Jared's QB coach has won a Super Bowl and is in the Hall of Fame (Mark Brunnell, 2015 inductee to the Rose Bowl Hall of Fame).
dimitrig
HateRed said:

She looks high maintenance. Pass.

southseasbear
B.A. Bearacus said:

okaydo said:

Totally willing to be on board with this narrative, but I think there's no need to leave out noteworthy details such as Jared's QB coach has won a Super Bowl and is in the Hall of Fame (Mark Brunnell, 2015 inductee to the Rose Bowl Hall of Fame).
It doesn't mean he can coach. Nevertheless, the problem Goff has is that he has never had the same position coach two consecutive seasons since leaving Cal.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
okaydo
B.A. Bearacus said:

okaydo said:

Yeah, but there's a difference between coaching and playing. Also, a player being out of the NFL for a decade is noteworthy.

Here's Goff's rookie year QB coach. Look at all those accolades. He must be a great coach! (He's currently out of coaching after being fired earlier this year as the Vols QB coach.)

Here's Goff's second-year QB Coach.

bearister
dimitrig said:

HateRed said:

She looks high maintenance. Pass.

I had a buddy that had one like that when he was on the PGA Tour. He lost his card. She gone.
Unlikely Goff will blow through his earnings, however. "She loved me before I was rich and famous" are the best ones.
BearGoggles
southseasbear said:

Rtkbear said:

Agreed. And the Rams took steps to improve the OL and WR corps after trading Goff, and yet Stafford is still having problems.
Actually, they did nothing to improve the OL and the WR corps took a step back (losing Reynolds and Gerald Everett) . They then signed DJ to an absurd contract and drafted atwell who at best is a one trick pony. The rams think they are smarter than everyone else - the ultimate hubris. McVay and the gm can't imagine they are the problem so they blamed Goff among others.
TouchedTheAxeIn82
What I love about this story is that the Rams mortgaged the future to win the Super Bowl this year. I was intrigued to see how that would pan out, and I find it interesting and amusing how it's going right now. I started to doubt the genius of McVay when the offense got crushed in the Super Bowl. Now that they've thrown Goff under the bus and made their big moves, it's all on McVay and management. They'll either be vindicated or exposed.
bipolarbear
CaliforniaEternal said:

I am loving every Stafford pick 6, serves the Rams right!!! Next up to go is Mcvay no doubt.
3 pick sixes in 3 games, sheesh
Shoreline
https://instagr.am/p/CW1191yNYQC
okaydo
BigDaddyBear
Matthew Stafford is 33 years old and has never won a playoff game. He's 0-3. I know the Lions were not very good throughout many of those years, but a great QB would have found a way to win at least one playoff game.
eabandit
The more I think about it, the less I am starting to understand the Rams strategy.

They traded Goff and two first round picks for... Stafford? Am I missing something?
dimitrig
eabandit said:

The more I think about it, the less I am starting to understand the Rams strategy.

They traded Goff and two first round picks for... Stafford? Am I missing something?

No. It seemed stupid then and it is stupid now.
calumnus
dimitrig said:

eabandit said:

No. It seemed stupid then and it is stupid now.

It was stupid. So was the Niners trade. Arizona is looking good in the NFC West.
okaydo
eabandit said:

Goff, via McVay's backchanneling through the media, had a reputation as a complete non-entity. An utter robot. He couldn't think for himself. He was nothing.

The thinking goes that if the Rams could get that far with somebody so mediocre, what if they had somebody like Stafford?

And so the media built up Stafford to be this oppressed QB in Detroit who was finally going to unleash his greatness. Except, well,...

I also think perhaps that McVay, as a young guy, wanted to have the glory of the QB position. So the narrative that spread through the media -- whether through or not -- was that McVay was really playing QB and that he was basically playing Madden through Goff.

I remember Goff being asked about that reputation. And Goff with a "Goff"-like answer of saying "as long as we're winning, I'm fine." But I wonder if it affected him in any way? Imagine when you do good, the credit mostly goes to somebody else and when you suck, you get all the blame?

B.A. Bearacus
okaydo said:

eabandit said:

Goff, via McVay's backchanneling through the media, had a reputation as a complete non-entity. An utter robot. He couldn't think for himself. He was nothing.

The thinking goes that if the Rams could get that far with somebody so mediocre, what if they had somebody like Stafford?

And so the media built up Stafford to be this oppressed QB in Detroit who was finally going to unleash his greatness. Except, well,...

I also think perhaps that McVay, as a young guy, wanted to have the glory of the QB position. So the narrative that spread through the media -- whether through or not -- was that McVay was really playing QB and that he was basically playing Madden through Goff.

I remember Goff being asked about that reputation. And Goff with a "Goff"-like answer of saying "as long as we're winning, I'm fine." But I wonder if it affected him in any way? Imagine when you do good, the credit mostly goes to somebody else and when you suck, you get all the blame?

The thing that bugs the shiit out of me is how the announcers and talking heads keep framing Jared's winless season with the Lions as "Goff has yet to win a game without Sean McVay as his head coach" when it's completely sufficient to just say that Goff is still looking for his first win as a Lion. Heard Joe Buck, whose announcing has never been enjoyed by anyone not named Buck, use this oft-repeated framing last week.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.