Jared Goff part II

6,921 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by okaydo
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
B.A. Bearacus said:

okaydo said:

eabandit said:

The more I think about it, the less I am starting to understand the Rams strategy.

They traded Goff and two first round picks for... Stafford? Am I missing something?

Goff, via McVay's backchanneling through the media, had a reputation as a complete non-entity. An utter robot. He couldn't think for himself. He was nothing.

The thinking goes that if the Rams could get that far with somebody so mediocre, what if they had somebody like Stafford?

And so the media built up Stafford to be this oppressed QB in Detroit who was finally going to unleash his greatness. Except, well,...

I also think perhaps that McVay, as a young guy, wanted to have the glory of the QB position. So the narrative that spread through the media -- whether through or not -- was that McVay was really playing QB and that he was basically playing Madden through Goff.

I remember Goff being asked about that reputation. And Goff with a "Goff"-like answer of saying "as long as we're winning, I'm fine." But I wonder if it affected him in any way? Imagine when you do good, the credit mostly goes to somebody else and when you suck, you get all the blame?

The thing that bugs the shiit out of me is how the announcers and talking heads keep framing Jared's winless season with the Lions as "Goff has yet to win a game without Sean McVay as his head coach" when it's completely sufficient to just say that Goff is still looking for his first win as a Lion. Heard Joe Buck, whose announcing has never been enjoyed by anyone not named Buck, used this oft-repeated framing last week.

Oh, no, you're not one of us?!?!?

Big C
Shoreline said:

https://instagr.am/p/CW1191yNYQC

My goodness, is that true? AR with only three pick-6s in his entire (lengthy) career? Wow...
calbear93
dimitrig said:

HateRed said:

Very lucky lady wise!! Holy moly…

She looks high maintenance. Pass.

I am sure she is heartbroken.

For me, as long as Goff is happy, that's fine by me.
calbear93
Big C said:

Shoreline said:

My goodness, is that true? AR with only three pick-6s in his entire (lengthy) career? Wow...
Yeah, pretty amazing. His accuracy is in the Montana tier, but with a stronger arm. I sometimes become nonplussed watching how accurate some of this throws are. I think one commentator once stated that the ball was so well thrown that the ball caught the tight end.

I realize most Packer fans love Rodgers, but those who think they would be happy when he leaves, might not LOVE what comes after. We have been blessed to watch two of the best QBs to have ever played the game playing at the same time. We will miss Brady and Rodgers when they retire. Hoping Mahomes can find his magic again because he used to be so fun to watch.
calumnus
calbear93 said:

Big C said:

Shoreline said:

Yeah, pretty amazing. His accuracy is in the Montana tier, but with a stronger arm. I sometimes become nonplussed watching how accurate some of this throws are. I think one commentator once stated that the ball was so well thrown that the ball caught the tight end.

I realize most Packer fans love Rodgers, but those who think they would be happy when he leaves, might not LOVE what comes after. We have been blessed to watch two of the best QBs to have ever played the game playing at the same time. We will miss Brady and Rodgers when they retire. Hoping Mahomes can find his magic again because he used to be so fun to watch.

There is no QB more fun to watch these days than Lamar Jackson:

killa22
Stat Padford
calbear93
calumnus said:

calbear93 said:

Big C said:

Shoreline said:

There is no QB more fun to watch these days than Lamar Jackson:

Definitely. The best running back on his team as well as a very good and improving passer. Didn't think he would transition well from Louisville to NFL (or at least survive very long), but he fortunately has proven all the doubters wrong.
BearForce2
Nice end of season article on Jared Goff: He played well towards the end of the season despite the challenges.

The Lions have some huge decisions to make at QB, but Jared Goff's ascent helps buy them some time

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2022/01/the-lions-have-some-huge-decisions-to-make-at-qb-but-jared-goffs-ascent-helps-buy-them-some-time.html

And check out this quote from Detroit Lions manager, Brad Homes:
Quote:

"Just him coming out as a prospect, I loved watching him play," Holmes told MLive over the summer. "He just throws a pretty football. He's got natural arm talent. His anticipation, his footwork, all that. I always used to say -- and it sound crazy, it sounds clich -- but when I used to get really, really stressed with the job and not in the best of moods, I would turn on Goff film -- you know, his Cal tape? -- and just watch him throw the football. It kind of put me in a better mood. It really would. It was fun watching him operate from the pocket.
EC bear
Nice article. Was really pleased to see things come together for him at the end of the season. I think Campbell taking over playcalling was huge.

BearForce2 said:

Nice end of season article on Jared Goff: He played well towards the end of the season despite the challenges.

The Lions have some huge decisions to make at QB, but Jared Goff's ascent helps buy them some time

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2022/01/the-lions-have-some-huge-decisions-to-make-at-qb-but-jared-goffs-ascent-helps-buy-them-some-time.html

Quote:

"Just him coming out as a prospect, I loved watching him play," Holmes told MLive over the summer. "He just throws a pretty football. He's got natural arm talent. His anticipation, his footwork, all that. I always used to say -- and it sound crazy, it sounds clich -- but when I used to get really, really stressed with the job and not in the best of moods, I would turn on Goff film -- you know, his Cal tape? -- and just watch him throw the football. It kind of put me in a better mood. It really would. It was fun watching him operate from the pocket.

MSaviolives
BearForce2 said:

Quote:

"Just him coming out as a prospect, I loved watching him play," Holmes told MLive over the summer. "He just throws a pretty football. He's got natural arm talent. His anticipation, his footwork, all that. I always used to say -- and it sound crazy, it sounds clich -- but when I used to get really, really stressed with the job and not in the best of moods, I would turn on Goff film -- you know, his Cal tape? -- and just watch him throw the football. It kind of put me in a better mood. It really would. It was fun watching him operate from the pocket

There is something about Detroit Lions folks who seem to particularly enjoy watching film of Cal players. Remember this quote from former Lion's coach Jim Schwartz?

Quote:

"Some people watch adult videos on their computer," Schwartz said. "I go to YouTube and watch Jahvid Best. That's what gets me aroused."
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/26/jim-schwartz-gets-aroused-by-jahvid-best-highlight-reels/
GivemTheAxe
B.A. Bearacus said:

okaydo said:

eabandit said:

The more I think about it, the less I am starting to understand the Rams strategy.

They traded Goff and two first round picks for... Stafford? Am I missing something?

Goff, via McVay's backchanneling through the media, had a reputation as a complete non-entity. An utter robot. He couldn't think for himself. He was nothing.

The thinking goes that if the Rams could get that far with somebody so mediocre, what if they had somebody like Stafford?

And so the media built up Stafford to be this oppressed QB in Detroit who was finally going to unleash his greatness. Except, well,...

I also think perhaps that McVay, as a young guy, wanted to have the glory of the QB position. So the narrative that spread through the media -- whether through or not -- was that McVay was really playing QB and that he was basically playing Madden through Goff.

I remember Goff being asked about that reputation. And Goff with a "Goff"-like answer of saying "as long as we're winning, I'm fine." But I wonder if it affected him in any way? Imagine when you do good, the credit mostly goes to somebody else and when you suck, you get all the blame?

The thing that bugs the shiit out of me is how the announcers and talking heads keep framing Jared's winless season with the Lions as "Goff has yet to win a game without Sean McVay as his head coach" when it's completely sufficient to just say that Goff is still looking for his first win as a Lion. Heard Joe Buck, whose announcing has never been enjoyed by anyone not named Buck, use this oft-repeated framing last week.

This is a common problem in spirts such as football and in business. The person with greatest access to the media - often the HC or the CEO takes the credit for the wins and blames subordinates for the
losses. The media just parrots what is fed to them since the want to retain their access.

When AL Davis was the owner of the Raiders he did the same thing. If the Raiders won, he was a genius. If they lost, it was the fault of the HC.
bearister
Bill Walsh absolutely did the same as Davis….and he used to call out players in the press.
What someone that knew Al well once told me:

You can't have a better friend than Al Davis, or a worse enemy.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
Considering the talent around him (he played most of the season with 1 WR who was drafted), not bad?

Stafford ended the season with the exact same completion percentage and more than double Goff's TDs and interceptions.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.