Story Poster
Cal Football

Ultimate Insider E23- Post-season Offensive Review, Audio

December 21, 2021

This week on the Ultimate Insider Podcast, former pro and Cal Hall of Famer Mike Pawlaski breaks down the season’s Cal offense with Bear Insider editor in chief Jim McGill and publisher Greg Richardson. To listen, tune in on SpotifySoundcloud, or Apple Podcasts. Leave a comment below about this episode or with a question about Cal’s defense, and you might be featured next week. New episodes go live every week.

Ultimate Insider E23- Post-season Offensive Review, Audio

2,394 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JeffMcd
sefton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pretty interesting podcast. This is the most frank commentary I have heard from the these guys concerning the QB play.
Ever hopeful and it seems like forever.
heartofthebear
sefton said:

Pretty interesting podcast. This is the most frank commentary I have heard from the these guys concerning the QB play.
Link or reference?
CAL6371
It was up to the usual Pawlawski high standards.
They all obviously like Garbers as a person, but they were pretty candid about his severe limitations that we are all familiar with - poor progression of targets, tendency to run instead of wait, bad timing on his decisions, poor recognition of opportunities, missing easy passes on third downs, failure to move the chains etc.
I think I may have to revise my opinion of Musgrave - Paws loves his calls and clearly thinks he is the right man for OC. Since he knows a hell of a lot more than I do, I am almost certainly wrong. Hopefully next year should show that.
Great discussion of the offense in great depth . As always, I recommend that Bear Insider members watch this video. Can't wait to see what they say about the defense.
philbert
Really looking forward to seeing Sturdivant playing based on what Greg said.

Nasal Mucus Goldenbear

When we part ways with BM, MP will open up about the playcaller's shortcomings too. Doing so now would jeopardize his position as game commentator and block him from needed access. That's how it works.
95bears
CAL6371 said:

I think I may have to revise my opinion of Musgrave - Paws loves his calls and clearly thinks he is the right man for OC. Since he knows a hell of a lot more than I do, I am almost certainly wrong. Hopefully next year should show that.

these are great podcasts and I eat them up, thanks MB and Greg. I've been surprised no one has commented on them until now.

I wonder if Paws' belief in the Musgrave system is because Snyder's was pro-set and elements look familiar. He was my undergrad QB, Citrus Bowl was still my best NYE ever and I am inclined to go with whatever he recommends.
calumnus
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear said:

When we part ways with BM, MP will open up about the playcaller's shortcomings too. Doing so now would jeopardize his position as game commentator and block him from needed access. That's how it works.

Yes, either that or I will need to reconsider my support for Paws as OC. No matter, I really think he would be best as a HC anyway.
JeffMcd
Really surprisingly strong endorsement of Musgrave's play calling. I defer to the expert who both played QB and watched the film, but to a TV viewer that assessment is not obvious. Seems like the pressing question is - can Musgrave recruit a QB room? The cupboard seems empty.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.