We have been gifted Aaron Rodgers greatness on Xmas day

14,835 Views | 138 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Econ141
B.A. Bearacus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking like back to back MVPs.

3rd qtr. 19-24, 171 yds, 3 tds.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
Browns got it within 2 22-24 with ~4 minutes left in the game.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
Now Browns have the ball at their 29 with 2 minutes left.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
Browns 3rd and 6 at their 43 with just over 1 minute left.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
Browns 1st and 10 at the 50yd line.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
3rd and 10 pass INTERCEPTED by Packers.
B.A. Bearacus
Earlier...

Brett congratulates Aaron on the jumbotron:

B.A. Bearacus
Current Vegas favorites for MVP:

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Tom Brady
3. Jonathan Taylor
bearsandgiants
Didn't cover.
GivemTheAxe
B.A. Bearacus said:

I don't know about the rest of you but I now see AR in a different light after all that happened this past Fall.
Can't get as excited as I was for hm before.

I am glad he is winning but it's not the same and I don't think it will ever be the same now that he has shown his true self.
oskigobears
so what's his true self that you don't like?
B.A. Bearacus
GivemTheAxe said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

I don't know about the rest of you but I now see AR in a different light after all that happened this past Fall.

I am glad he is winning but it's not the same and I don't think it will ever be the same now that he has shown his true self.

l think that's totally legit to feel that way. I would say let's not rehash all the that stuff from the fall in this thread. I think everyone got what they needed to off their chest at that time.

Time heals most wounds -- as long as it's not a scab that keeps getting torn off. He's slowly starting to exit the dog house for me. While in that canine enclosure I referred to him on BI as "A-Rod", a name that I kinda despise. I feel less inclined to call him that right now -- but that's just me.

No guarantees that Cal will always have a starting QB in the NFL, much less a first ballot HOF lock. There is a sense I have of wanting to appreciate it while it lasts.
okaydo
B.A. Bearacus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

l think that's totally legit to feel that way. I would say let's not rehash all the that stuff from the fall in this thread. I think everyone got what they needed to off their chest at that time.

Time heals most wounds -- as long as it's not a scab that keeps getting torn off. He's slowly starting to exit the dog house for me. While in that canine enclosure I referred to him on BI as "A-Rod", a name that I kinda despise. I feel less inclined to call him that right now -- but that's just me.

No guarantees that Cal will always have a starting QB in the NFL, much less a first ballot HOF lock. There is a sense I have of wanting to appreciate it while it lasts.

Uhhhh....Rodgers isn't letting time heal all wounds...this is just 4 days ago....I wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers becomes more of a polarizing figure.

This all started, as you'll recall, before the vaxx thing. In October, Rodgers slammed "woke PC culture" and "cancel culture" for the outrage over his "I still own you" comments to Chicago Bears fans.

Except, well, there was no outrage. Sports media Twitter got a kick out of it. There was no scolding him for bad sportsmanship. There was no attempt to cancel him.

If he was outraged that Chicago Bears fans were outraged over his comments, then, um, what?!?!?!

Here are all the opinionated headlines on Rodgers' "I still own you" comments, including some from Chicago media.

Does it sound like they want him "canceled"?

Some people find rich and powerful people portraying themselves as victims to be a turn on. Some find it a turn off. Personally, I'm in the latter camp.

Yet based on all that "outrage," Rodgers had this to say on The Pat McAfee Show -- again, this was weeks before the vaxx thing.

Big C

Thanks for nothing, Okaydo. I, too, was starting to get over AR acting stupid (when he's not really stupid). Hear no evil. The thing is, he's a Cal guy and he's just such a damn good QB...

I guess his future actions will determine his place on my personal hierarchy of "good guys". I don't need him to have the same politics as me, but his whole "vaccine episode" was pretty lame.
GivemTheAxe
Big C said:

Thanks for nothing, Okaydo. I, too, was starting to get over AR acting stupid (when he's not really stupid). Hear no evil. The thing is, he's a Cal guy and he's just such a damn good QB...

I guess his future actions will determine his place on my personal hierarchy of "good guys". I don't need him to have the same politics as me, but his whole "vaccine episode" was pretty lame.

He had already done enough to justify his place in history for me.
1. A great QB
2. But otherwise a dam* fool idiot who pretends to be smart,
3. Who spreads misinformation that could result in serious injury even death for hundreds if not thousand who are foolish enough to listen to him.
4. Who doesn't have the strength of his convictions to tell the truth when the truth could hurt his livelihood (unlike many other sports figures who shared his misguided beliefs but stood up for them publicly
5. Who tries to play word games as if he were some scholar but fails miserably at it.
6. Who then tries to deflect blame for all his foolish movs by playing the victim card.

I think that puts him high in the NFL record books but very far down the list of Cal alums from the likes of: Joe Kapp, Craig Morton; Jared Goff; Mike Pawlawski, Joe Roth, Kyle Boller, chuck Muncie, Russell White, Madhawn Lynch, Jackie Jensen Brick Mueller and many other Cal Alums
Unit2Sucks
Oh come on he's always been a thin skinned insecure dude. This is nothing new but many people chose to ignore it for whatever reason, maybe because it was more harmless when it wasn't about public health and current events.

He's a helluva QB and as far as I can tell a pretty damn good teammate. To be honest I barely spend any time listening to what genuinely good guys who are athletes (like Steph) have to say and pay zero attention to Rodgers' off the field antics. If he starts crossing the line into toxic masculinity or racism (like other culture warriors) I will still think he's a good QB but would hope he would suffer some consequences.
Big C
GivemTheAxe said:

Big C said:

He had already done enough to justify his place in history for me.
1. A great QB
2. But otherwise a dam* fool idiot who pretends to be smart,
3. Who spreads misinformation that could result in serious injury even death for hundreds if not thousand who are foolish enough to listen to him.
4. Who doesn't have the strength of his convictions to tell the truth when the truth could hurt his livelihood (unlike many other sports figures who shared his misguided beliefs but stood up for them publicly
5. Who tries to play word games as if he were some scholar but fails miserably at it.
6. Who then tries to deflect blame for all his foolish movs by playing the victim card.

I think that puts him high in the NFL record books but very far down the list of Cal alums from the likes of: Joe Kapp, Craig Morton; Jared Goff; Mike Pawlawski, Joe Roth, Kyle Boller, chuck Muncie, Russell White, Madhawn Lynch, Jackie Jensen Brick Mueller and many other Cal Alums

I agree with your numbered points, except for the fact that I'm pretty sure he is actually smart, just ignorant and unwise about some things (there also seems to be some narcissism going on there). It will be interesting to see what he does with the rest of his life. My fear is that he will double down on this crap, either because he really believes it, because he feels hemmed in, or because he sees a marketing niche to fill.
Big C
Unit2Sucks said:

Oh come on he's always been a thin skinned insecure dude. This is nothing new but many people chose to ignore it for whatever reason, maybe because it was more harmless when it wasn't about public health and current events.

He's a helluva QB and as far as I can tell a pretty damn good teammate. To be honest I barely spend any time listening to what genuinely good guys who are athletes (like Steph) have to say and pay zero attention to Rodgers' off the field antics. If he starts crossing the line into toxic masculinity or racism (like other culture warriors) I will still think he's a good QB but would hope he would suffer some consequences.

Nice. I agree.
BearForce2
Quote:

In the McAfee interview, Rodgers said he's allergic to an ingredient in mRNA vaccines, which precluded him from getting the Moderna and Pfizer shots. He then cited a temporary pause in April on usage of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine for clotting issues as the reason for his dismissal of that treatment.

The uproar over Rodgers' status was fueled in large part by Rodgers responding in August to a question about whether he'd been vaccinated by saying he'd been "immunized".

"I really felt like, at the time, there was a time and place for sharing of information," Rodgers said. "It was such a witch hunt. They wanted to out and shame and denigrate every single person who didn't immediately say, 'Oh I got the Pfizer, I got the Moderna,' whatever. I wanted it to go away. Everyone on the squad knew I was not vaccinated, everyone in the organization knew I wasn't vaccinated. I wasn't hiding it from anybody. I was trying to minimize and mitigate this conversation that would go on and on."

I find joy watching Aaron play and seeing Cal fans still butthurt.
bearister
Rodgers breaks Favre's career TD mark as Packers hold off Browns fightback

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/dec/25/green-bay-packers-cleveland-browns-aaron-rodgers?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Aaron Rodgers makes history in Green Bay Packers victory

https://mol.im/a/10345311
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
GivemTheAxe
Big C said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Nice. I agree.

To each his own

Personally I like it when I see that a person whom I admire in one area is also a good and decent individual in another area. I like it when I read that Marshawn Lynch gives back to the community where he grew up. Or that Steph Curry goes out of his way to take socially positive actions.
If that person is connected to Cal it is doubly good.
When I read that Ms. Doudna was awarded the Nobel Prize. I was very happy for her and for Cal. When I read that her students and staff liked her. I was even happier for her.
calumnus
GivemTheAxe said:

Big C said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Nice. I agree.

To each his own

Personally I like it when I see that a person whom I admire in one area is also a good and decent individual in another area. I like it when I read that Marshawn Lynch gives back to the community where he grew up. Or that Steph Curry goes out of his way to take socially positive actions.
When I read that Ms. Doudna was awarded the Nobel Prize. I was very happy for her and for Cal. When I read that her students and staff liked her. I was even happier for her.

I always rooted for Rodgers as a Cal football player, a phenomenal talent, though he seemed a bit shallow and narcissistic, but that often comes with the territory. He clearly should have gone #1 to the Niners. His draft day ordeal and and having to sit behind an openly hostile Farve (now revisionist characterized as "mentoring") made him an underdog and far more sympathetic. Even with the Butte JC shout outs. Then about 10 years ago in interviews he began to seem far more mature and thoughtful. I became an even bigger fan. The path Rodgers has taken this last year has been very disappointing. The lying on camera and spreading of disinformation that has resulted in death and suffering, then doubling down, has flipped my sentiments from major fandom to neutral (though my wife, also a Cal grad, now roots against him).
GoCal80
GivemTheAxe said:

Big C said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Nice. I agree.

To each his own

Dr. Doudna! (And she's the proud mother of a Cal sophomore).
nwbear84
I can see not necessarily admiring him the way you once did, or the way you admire others, but rooting against him? If I chose not to watch or listen to every entertainer, and that's what he is, that I disagreed with politically, or philosophically, there wouldn't be much entertainment out there for me. Sometimes it's better not to know too much about the entertainers you enjoy. That's one reason I think most of them should stay out of the realm of public policy. If they want to use their fame and fortune to assist with charities and the like, great, but don't pontificate on issues where they have no more expertise or standing than you or I.

That said, yes, it's great when you find out that an entertainer is a wonderful person as well, but I would rather find out second hand rather than from their own public statements. Someone like Jimmy Stewart comes to mind. I can name countless examples of those that have proven to be less than wonderful people, but I still find them funny, or brilliant to watch on the field, or listen to sing.
B.A. Bearacus

GivemTheAxe
nwbear84 said:

I can see not necessarily admiring him the way you once did, or the way you admire others, but rooting against him? If I chose not to watch or listen to every entertainer, and that's what he is, that I disagreed with politically, or philosophically, there wouldn't be much entertainment out there for me. Sometimes it's better not to know too much about the entertainers you enjoy. That's one reason I think most of them should stay out of the realm of public policy. If they want to use their fame and fortune to assist with charities and the like, great, but don't pontificate on issues where they have no more expertise or standing than you or I.

That said, yes, it's great when you find out that an entertainer is a wonderful person as well, but I would rather find out second hand rather than from their own public statements. Someone like Jimmy Stewart comes to mind. I can name countless examples of those that have proven to be less than wonderful people, but I still find them funny, or brilliant to watch on the field, or listen to sing.

My problem with AR is not that he fails to be a wonderful person. But that he is a jerk and revels in being a jerk. He clearly lies about what he does
then he denies that he was lying. Then claims that the people who point out his lies are persecuting him.
But some say we should forget all about that because he is a great football player and if he is a jerk he is Cal's jerk.
Bear8

As I watched that game against the Browns and his subsequent interview with Erin Andrews, a thought entered my mind that he is so good at what he does he is evil!! Quarterbacking comes so easily to him that it is merely child's play. Rodgers has reached a pinnacle that few can even dream about. So his words have extraordinary meaning to those listening. When reporters seek his "wisdom" about Covid they are asking the wrong guy and it punches a hole in what otherwise would be an immaculate step to the Hall of Fame. Rodgers, for his part, makes the mistake of responding and making a fool of himself. His responses have obviously cost him commercials and endorsements. So he's been punished already. If he continues down this road even his football stature might be jeopardized. Does he care? I don't know. I only appreciate the genius that he demonstrates time and time again on the playing field.
BearForce2

Quote:

GREEN BAY, WIGreen Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers stirred up controversy last week when it was discovered that instead of taking the safe and effective Covid vaccine, like all the other NFL players, he had immunized himself by drinking a pint of Joe Rogan blood, which kills the virus within minutes and provides immunity for up to 60 years.

The former MVP tested positive for Covid last week, and the NFL promptly fined him $15,000 for "being one of those disgusting anti-vaxxers." Fortunately for Rodgers, he was quickly able to revive his friendly relationship with the NFL after smacking around his fianc a little bit and then murdering a couple of guys outside of the Hilton on Lombardi Avenue.
okaydo
BearForce2 said:

Quote:

GREEN BAY, WIGreen Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers stirred up controversy last week when it was discovered that instead of taking the safe and effective Covid vaccine, like all the other NFL players, he had immunized himself by drinking a pint of Joe Rogan blood, which kills the virus within minutes and provides immunity for up to 60 years.

The former MVP tested positive for Covid last week, and the NFL promptly fined him $15,000 for "being one of those disgusting anti-vaxxers." Fortunately for Rodgers, he was quickly able to revive his friendly relationship with the NFL after smacking around his fianc a little bit and then murdering a couple of guys outside of the Hilton on Lombardi Avenue.

Man, too bad the NFL community is shunning Rodgers.

B.A. Bearacus
Aaron Rodgers will be the first Cal QB to win back to back NFL MVPs (or just one). He will also be the last Cal player in any of our lifetimes to win an NFL MVP.

hanky1
Rodgers is an independent thinker and you 'expert' lovers can't stand it.
hanky1
Okaydo why are you trying to cancel Aaron Rodgers?
B.A. Bearacus
hanky1 said:

Dramatic turnaround from you can't stand him or people like him. Kudos.
hanky1
B.A. Bearacus said:

hanky1 said:

When did I say that about Rodgers?

I like to make fun of people who believe in false gods like Fauci or Aaron Rodgers back when you all worshipped him. Big difference
B.A. Bearacus
hanky1 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

hanky1 said:

When did I say that about Rodgers?

I like to make fun of people who believe in false gods like Fauci or Aaron Rodgers back when you all worshipped him. Big difference

You look up your quote. You said you despised people like AR who took themselves too seriously. This was not more than three months ago. Stay on script.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.